03/29/24 at 11:14:47 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New CSP2 (Read 10096 times)
Hank
Verified Member

New CSP2
06/07/10 at 22:02:26

I'm in the process of breaking in my CSP2, just a couple of questions.

1) The thumb pots at the rear of the PT adjust the output voltage when using the unit as a preamp.  What is the effect of the master volume control pot on that output voltage?  I haven't changed the thumb pot settings.

2) I'm using the CSP2 in preamp mode between my ZKIT1 SET amp and CD deck.  If I roll the master volume to full, is there any risk of clipping or distortion in doing so?

This configuration does a good job at cutting the digital shrillness.

Regards,
Hank

Decware SE84DIY amp; TABOO; CSP2; ZenHead; Mini TORII SE-X; SE84CKC SuperZen
Visonik HIFI DD-8300 Turntable; Bellari Tube Phono Preamp; Technics SL-PD5 CD Player
Trapezium Desktop Speakers; Tekton 8.1en Speakers; Grado SR60i phones
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: New CSP2
Reply #1 - 06/07/10 at 22:39:55

I would turn the trims up half way and then turn the volume up to listening level, then adjust the trims up and down. You will get an idea of where you want them to be.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Hank
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 09/10/10 at 16:22:42

dI'm a little disappointed that my CSP2 purchase just missed a engineering upgrade.  I guess these days, it's almost impossible not to fall into technological upgrade gaps. But on a $900 item it just stings a little more.

Regards,
Hank

Hank,

If you listen to high impedance headphones, the CSP2+ will better serve your needs, if not, low impedance headphones or line level use and a preamp will yeild ZERO difference between the CSP2 and CSP2+.  

If you think the CSP2+ would better fit your needs, I will be more than happy to build you one and take your CSP2 back and apply the full purchase price to a new CSP2+

Steve  :)

Visonik HIFI DD-8300 Turntable; Bellari Tube Phono Preamp; Technics SL-PD5 CD Player
  IP Logged
drumsgreg
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 09/11/10 at 22:17:50

it does not get better than that Hank, thats why I buy my stuff from Steve.... a very honest man and stand up guy!! Smiley

IP Logged
Hank
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 09/11/10 at 23:10:17

Hi, Steve

Right now I have Grado SR60's...low impedence.  No hi-impedence cans seen in my future.

I'm very happy with the CSP2.  When not in use as a headphone amp, I use it as a pre-amp stage for my several other amps.

I sent an email a few months ago with some user questions on the CSP2.  Let me know if you can find it, If not, I will resend it,

Regards
Hank

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #5 - 09/12/10 at 03:35:14

Yes, I found your e-mail...  regarding the output level controls on the CSP2.

Best way to set it up is to turn both output controls all the way down, and raise the master volume to 1/2 way.  Then slowly raise the output level controls until you reach a decent listening level.

If the amp you are using has a gain control we assume it's all the way up.  That said, if you want a particular recording to have more punch, less thinness, you can simply turn the gain on the amp down a couple notches and run the preamp master volume a bit higher.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Juan Antonio

Reply #6 - 09/14/10 at 13:50:49

"If you listen to high (LOW) impedance headphones, the CSP2+ will better serve your needs, if not, low (HIGH) impedance headphones or line level use and a preamp will yeild ZERO difference between the CSP2 and CSP2+. "

Well, Hank, Steve meant to say the exact opposite.

I found Grado's phones not to perform very well with the CSP2. My "GRADO's Music Series One" is the proof of this.

I imagine that the new CSP2+ would perform better with them but It mustn't be the same result as using High impedance phones for sure.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print