03/29/24 at 12:57:21 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
WO32 for trunk? (Read 9938 times)
dreston
Ex Member

WO32 for trunk?
05/27/10 at 01:41:52

So I just purchased a Cadillac for my new job.  This job requires around 2000 miles of travel a month, so I want a nice system in it.  My current ride that I've had for 6 years now is a single cab Silverado with a DB12 as my center console being serviced by a beautiful sounding Alpine Type R.  I love the DB12, my buddy and I have built 5 death boxes so far, 3 12's and 2 10's, love em all.  So given the large amount of area in the trunk of my new ride I was considering building the WO32 scaled for 12's for the trunk however I remember reading somewhere that Decware doesn't recommend this.  Can anyone confirm this?  I also toyed with the idea of running one DB12 and one DB10 (DB10 for the faster and slightly higher kick drum hits).  So questions are;

- Can a WO32 be used for amazing results in a trunk?
     - If Yes, can anyone recommend which direction to face the port?

- Otherwise can anyone voice an opinion on using a DB10 and DB12 in concert?  Also if so, port facing recommendation ( I understand that often you have to trial and error for which direction sounds the best just trying to plan ahead for a nice looking build.  Although twin DB12's is a possibility, I have an extra DB12 sitting in the livingroom serving home theater duty that could get relocated Cheesy.

- Thanks,
Brad

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Re: WO32 for trunk?
Reply #1 - 05/27/10 at 16:43:44

I am curious to know why you picked the WO32 instead of the WO36?

HT-EXT

" I TRY TO THINK BUT NUT'EN HAPPENS! " CURLY
  IP Logged
dreston
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/27/10 at 16:57:13

size I suppose, wouldn't the difference be negligible especially if it's being listened to through the rear seat?

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #3 - 05/27/10 at 17:20:37

I sure some one might correct me but I think of the WO32 as an audiophile grade enclosure and is somewhat more complicated to build. It is also a little more picky about which subs will work in it. These are just my opinions. I have heard the WO32 in the trunk of a Crown Vic and was impressed(horn pointed to the rear of the car). Can it be used in your car? Yes. To me if you are using the WO32 in a car you are wanting better quality sound than quantity.  

I have also heard the WO36 in a car(not the Vic) and it too was impressive but since both of them were in different vehicles it would not be a fair comparison. On the other hand the WO36 can be built to use 12"s just by adding two inches to the height. Is it better? I am not sure but that is usually up to the listener's ears to decide. If you are wanting loud and low the WO36 is the way I would go. The difference will only be marginal at best due to enclosure location but I am sure either design will put a smile on your face and alot of thump in the trunk. Just my two cents hope it helps.

HT-EXT

PS: You might want to eyeball the Wedge.

IP Logged
dreston
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/27/10 at 18:08:55

Ahh good point, I think the WO is more what I have been thinking about.  I'd rather not go with the wedge, simply because I've had my share of sealed boxes and I like a little more boom on occasion, the DB10's and 12's have met and exceeded my expectations thus far, so I want to continue with his more radical designs.

I am wondering though, the 36x24 WO would fit well in my trunk, however for my job I'll have the rest of the space filled with tools and test equipment.  Wondering if having the trunk packed will effect the sound if the port is facing rear.  Meh, I might just go with what I love and put in a DB12.  Speaking of which (I realize this is the wrong forum put HT would answer me in either) will the same DB12 with the same amp sound louder or softer moving from a single cap pickup to the trunk of a Cadillac?  The cabin-gain principle confuses me somewhat on which is better more or less (I thought more = better but not sure) and wouldn't the rear seats and carpet lessen the effect somewhat?

- Brad

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #5 - 05/27/10 at 18:25:06

You will prolly lose some umhh going from the truck to the trunk. You may be able to compensate with the gain on the amp if your sub can take it. DB are also one of my favorites and have always been excellent choice for home or auto.

As for the tools and equipment, try to use carry bags or maybe even cardboard boxes to keep things organized and out of the way. The more space you can keep free of obstructions the better the sound should be.

HT-EXT

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 09/23/10 at 01:59:53

I think you guys are on the right track here.

I have built a number of WOs, but never yet the WO32 (in home design, primarily). I can tell you that even the two times I made them shorter than the standard 36x36 dimension (one was 36x28, other was 36x26 - each time using all the space available) they still worked well after getting them set up properly with a decent amp.

One was facing the rear of a "hatchback" and the other blew right through an opening between the rear seats of a Buick. Each car is a little different and only trial and error will win.

I would expect that your Cadillac would have a bit better "seal"  to the cab section over a Buick or a Toyota,  which could increase cabin gain to some degree.
Cabin gain is a little difficult to describe, but think of the amount of time it takes for a low frequency waveform to establish (compared to a mid-bass frequency, for instance - lower frequencies, having much longer wavelengths take more time to form). With a well sealed cabin, the sound pressure has a tiny bit more time to build up "sound pressure" inside the cabin before it "leaks out"  into the unpressurized environment outside the car, thus you get more lower frequency efficiency due to this well sealed cabin effect. Cabin gain mainly effects lower frequencies because the mid-bass frequencies have plenty of time to become well established (due to their shorter wavelengths) even in open air.

(Going for a layman's description, here, folks. My apologies to the hardcore engineer types who can surely show us all the math we forgot about.)

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print