Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 12:56:36 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SE84C+ Review Tone Audio Magazine (Read 52055 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

SE84C+ Review Tone Audio Magazine
05/06/10 at 20:27:48

Recently Tone Audio magazine's publisher Jeff Dorgay contacted me about reviewing one of our phono stage step up transformers (ZMC1).  Tone Audio is one of the more well done review magazines I've seen, with a strong appeal to the upper end of hi-fi.  

In that world surrounded by five and six figure audio gear I thought it would be a ballsy move to submit our lowest priced amplifier to be reviewed in the same context.

It was the center piece of a 100,000.00 system and you can read how it faired below:

THE EXCELLENT TONE AUDIO WEB SITE
http://www.tonepublications.com/

[url]the pdf file of the magazine: http://www.tonepublications.com/MAGPDF/TA_028.pdf[/url]

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: SE84C+ Review Tone Audio Magazine
Reply #1 - 05/06/10 at 20:29:55

For those who don't have a pdf reader on their computer I have taken some screen shots of the review:

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #2 - 05/06/10 at 20:30:53

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #3 - 05/06/10 at 20:31:14

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #4 - 05/06/10 at 20:33:56

WWW   IP Logged
nsj
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/07/10 at 02:31:00

Steve,

Congrats, great review, but, we knew it all along!

Neil

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 05/07/10 at 12:22:00

DECWARE amps are GIANT SLAYERS. I hope this article spurs further interest in the equipment.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 05/07/10 at 14:48:26

I know. On some forums I see people getting all excited about Jolida and Marantz and Vincent etc. and I think "what would these people think if they could hear a Decware system!"

If you suggest Decware to them they just don't take you seriously. They'd rather order a cheap amp from China.

I've been able to get a few to "listen" and understand, but it's harder work than it should be!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/07/10 at 22:04:50

Nice review!

"Harder than it should be,"  Lon,   INDEED!!

I could not convince a single person at work that this old "Deafened" hard rock dawg uses about four or five watts (via twin Zens) on his best system at home, until I brought my amps to work and set them up in the showroom before opening time one day. I powered all the "best speakers"  we offer to fairly respectable levels (more than enough power for all but the hybrid electrostatics from Martin Logan), considering they mostly average in the 87dB range for efficiency.

We have some stupidly priced speakers for sale in our BB store, but the best sounding speakers in the house are the Klipsch Energy series, honestly. After listening to the Energy speakers with my twin Zens, all the fancy schmancy "beautiful furniture" speakers sound like they have a cold or at least a worsening sinus infection along with some possible pulmonary issues, as yet undiagnosed.

If you do not need to experience over 100dB today, I will put my little treasures up against five or seven hundred watt receivers we sell (costing three or four times as much) for sheer clarity and weight.  TRUE!
Grin

IP Logged
abrusc
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 05/13/10 at 22:04:02

Nice review and pics of a great value amp!

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 04/08/11 at 23:47:19

I am very late to this thread, but I have found this review very useful in educating people about the Decware value proposition.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
.:.impossible
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 04/18/11 at 15:52:30

You know, its odd. I'm sitting here listening to the new Panda Bear album "Tomboy" (highly recommended btw) on my SE84C+ while reading through a discussion on "rock the house" being different for different people. I have the amp at about 50% and I wouldn't hear the phone ring. I wouldn't hear a car horn.

This comment on deafening levels... I just don't get it. I don't have a way to measure the db's, but I can tell you that it is LOUD AS SHIT! And beautiful!

I can barely hear my own voice when I read this aloud.

Just sayin'.

IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #12 - 04/18/11 at 16:08:47

Many/most people buy with their eyes, not their ears. "More power is better, right?"
Either they play their music at levels that would break glass, and eardrums, or the specs & numbers are what really counts for them.
A couple of watts with the appropriate speakers is plenty for most of us!
How often have you listened to someone else's system, where straightaway the volume knob is given an almighty twist so as to show the "capabilities" of said system?
YMMV, of course.
Best, Don

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13 - 04/18/11 at 19:23:00

"Imp," I'm glad you're really enjoying your amp!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
JLM
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 04/19/11 at 00:43:34

Great review and hopefully it gets read and taken seriously.

BTW, the amp looks great in white!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print