04/16/24 at 21:13:21 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My New Mini Torii (Read 1721 times)
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

My New Mini Torii
04/22/10 at 01:53:49

I just received my new Mini Torii this afternoon.

In February, on a whim, I sold the prototype Mini Torii I bought and enjoyed so much last year. Then I decided to order a regular production model.

It arrived perfectly packaged and in good order. I set it up, and unwittingly inserted the OA3 tubes where the power tubes should go, and vice versa. I switched it on. The OA3 tubes did not light and I heard a loud hum. A moment later one of the rectifiers got real hot. I quickly turned the unit off and then realized what I did wrong.  I placed the tubes in their proper positions and switched the unit on. The OA3's came to life along with the OC2's with their orange glow.  I waited some moments and then spun a CD. Everything is fine.

I took this picture just now and the unit looks stunning.  

100421_006.JPG

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: My New Mini Torii
Reply #1 - 04/22/10 at 02:06:42

Another view using natural light, no flash. Look at that wood!

100421_014.JPG

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 04/22/10 at 02:09:00

Another vantage point. Tubes are 1958 Sylvania for Bendix 12AU7/6189; 1982 Raytheon JAN OC2; 1969 JAN Sylvania 6X4WA rectifiers; 1971 JAN Sylvania 6V6GTY brown base; 1950's CBS INDUSTRIAL OA3.

100421_017_001.JPG

55   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 04/22/10 at 15:09:05

I fully understand why you went for this new production model.

Looks great!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 04/22/10 at 18:08:08

Five hours on last night and five hours this morning, so far so good.

55   IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 04/27/10 at 13:14:38

The Mini Torii outputs connected to the CSP2 allow a wide range of volume combinations for headphone use. Since you can control the left and right side volume it is easier to equalize the sound.  I used this feature for the first time last night. Needless to say it worked great.

55   IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 05/01/10 at 04:06:32

I will say that you have to keep the speakers connected to the MINI TORII when using the output for headphone use through the CSP2. However, you can set the MINI at low volume and use the volume on the CSP2 to vary the headphone volume. Therefore, you would not hear the little sound coming from the speakers.

I was told that if you wanted to disconnect the speakers and run the outputs to a CSP2 you would be advised to use an 8 ohm, 5 volt resistor on the speaker terminals.

55   IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 05/19/10 at 19:14:32

Nice. I have had mine for a month or more but we moved recently.

I am having an issue connecting my sub via the speaker jacks with an extra set of wires, like I did with my old Eastern Electric power amp. I'm using the same cables, same setup, and have checked the wires and amp for shorts.

Does this have to do with Steve's purported failsafe against destroying this amp but shorting speaker wires by accident?

Also, I didn't get the gold knobs strangely. I didn't see them as an option when I paid; thought they were stock.

dc

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #8 - 05/20/10 at 00:55:13

You should have no issues driving most subs via the high level inputs from the Mini Torii's speaker jacks...  alternately you can use the preamp output from the Mini Torii and use that to drive the sub line level.

Give Sarah a call re: the knobs, we'll send you a set.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
oilofdawg
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 05/26/10 at 03:12:26

Hey, I bought your prototype Mini Torii. What is the difference between the two Mini Torii's.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 05/26/10 at 23:23:00

Several hundred dollars!

I understand that the prototype was the first one made using the EX transformers, was hand made and run and tested extensively.  Sound wise there is no difference between the prototype and the production model.

55   IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 06/30/10 at 19:40:18

steve, I can't drive my sub from the binding posts of the mini-Torii.

My sub has this amp built-in to it:

When I remove any of the positive connections, at the subwoofer, the signal makes it to the subwoofer but only on one channel I assume.

IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #12 - 07/01/10 at 01:10:02

Hifitubes

I use this sub amp and have never had any problems with it.  This sub amp has common black terminals (they are connected together inside the sub amp) and this may be the difference between this amp and your other amp.   Are you connecting to the sub amp with 4 wires, one each to the 4 left most banana plugs and not using the 4 right most banana plugs?  If so, and if you get a sub output only when you disconnected either one of the positive connections I'd guess that somehow you have the + and - connections reversed somewhere (maybe inside the amp) so the positives are getting shorted together because they are connected to the common black terminals of the sub amp.  I'd turn off power, get an ohm meter, disconnect the sub amp and see if any of the wires are shorted (the 2 - connections might suppose to be connected or might not, it depends on the mini-torri design, which I am not familiar with).

If they are in fact turned around, you might try connecting the common connections to the black terminals and the others to the red terminals.  Good Luck.

Dan

IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 07/01/10 at 14:49:51

Thanks Dan.

I think I remember when I had the multimeter out before vacation, and found that the terminals on the sub are like the Torii; they all seem to share common ground.

If I do reverse the connections, and it works, would I need to flip thew polarity switch on the sub amp?

thanks for your assist.
Jon

IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #14 - 07/01/10 at 21:32:44

The polarity switch on the sub amp will have nothing to do with this problem.  

Dan

IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 07/02/10 at 14:18:39

Seems to be working. It was late so I couldn't crank it, but I'm 95% sure it is now working. Thanks Dan.

My bud told me he had to do something similar once; he grounded to some screws on the chassis. Some both the plate amp and the Torri binding posts all were sharing a common ground?

IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #16 - 07/02/10 at 15:59:31

I think I mis-read your post about the sub's polarity switch.  It will have nothing to do with a common ground at the input shorting out a signal, but if you do have to reverse the inputs because of the common ground then - yes- you might have to flip the polarity switch to make up for switching the polarity of the input.  But in either case, the sub's polarity switch should be set to where it sounds the best.

Dan

IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #17 - 07/02/10 at 16:05:15

I'd also think about driving your mains from the right-most 4 banana plugs on your sub amp, if you are not already doing so.  This will put a 100 hz 6db/octave hi pass filter on your mains, keeping the very low bass out.  This will substantially reduce the load on the mains and will also reduce the (usually somewhat out of phase) interaction between the sub and the mains.

Dan

IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 07/02/10 at 16:29:48

Not sure my cables are long enough by I could try that. Thanks for the ideas.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print