Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 12:39:34 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Baffle Step Correction circuit (Read 10480 times)
Yoda

I ride!

Baffle Step Correction circuit
04/14/10 at 23:37:11

Does this make me a heretic?  Will I be ex-communicated?  I switched from HDT Mk II drivers to the DFR-8 with the alternate tuning, and in my temporary room was thin on all but well recorded deep bass. Maybe the drivers are still breaking in from their mod, but I wanted to try something...and for me it really worked:  http://www.quarter-wave.com/Project05/BSC_Circuit.pdf

I love the live quality of these speakers are and this circuit doesn't change that.  Yes, efficiency is compromised, but pinpoint imaging and accurate tone are not.  This circuit (for me) made the HDT - known to be being revealing of bad recordings - friendly to bad recordings without losing the magic of good ones.  I'm still not using all 8 watts before it's too loud--plenty of headroom.

I believe that most of my issues are due to my limited and temporary room setup where the speakers are in front of a stair (and the bass goes upstairs).  The DFR-8 mod improved my well worn 206's, but with the circuit in line there are no audible bright spots or humps.  

To build the circuit, I used air-core transducers from my ancient AR-5's, mills resistors and a Sonicap on the zobel.  

I'm still playing with the value of the resistor in series to fine tune to my liking, but hey - anybody else doing this?  

Decware HDT-Alt tuning, Hagtech Cymbals
Hagerman: Chime Gold DAC; Castanet Line Stage; Cornet II, Piccolo, Thorens TD160 w/ Rega Rb300; Oracle Alexandria II TT, Mayware F4 arm w/Soundsmith-Denon dl-103, Yamaha T-1 Tuner
Many fostex experiments....
  IP Logged
Johnny Zee
Ex Member

Re: Baffle Step Correction circuit
Reply #1 - 09/07/10 at 19:09:21

Yoda,
I've been battling the same problem with my HDT for years.
I tried the link you posted, but it no longer works.
Can you give me any more information on this mod?
Thanks for your help,
John

IP Logged
Yoda

I ride!

Reply #2 - 09/08/10 at 17:10:46

Oops, that link is gone...here is some general theory.  If I find out more about the values I used, I'll post back. www.quarter-wave.com/General/BSC_Sizing.pdf

and here is the circuit I used:

www.audioconnexion.de/Photos/BSC_Circuit.pdf

Matt

Decware HDT-Alt tuning, Hagtech Cymbals
Hagerman: Chime Gold DAC; Castanet Line Stage; Cornet II, Piccolo, Thorens TD160 w/ Rega Rb300; Oracle Alexandria II TT, Mayware F4 arm w/Soundsmith-Denon dl-103, Yamaha T-1 Tuner
Many fostex experiments....
  IP Logged
Johnny Zee
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/15/10 at 16:05:32

Thanks Matt.
I'm gonna start digesting this stuff and see if my non electrician mind can handle it.
I don't have the HDTs set up currently, but I may need to take them out again. I miss them.
Thanks,
John

IP Logged
SoundBound
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 10/26/10 at 00:50:40

Sounds interesting.  Has anyone tried/built a BSC for the HDT that worked for them?  I would be curious to hear how it worked out.  I am trying to address some of the mid bass thinness and/some shrillness with my HDTs.  I too want to preserve the overall presentation, just beef up the mids a bit and tame some of the highs.  Thanks.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print