Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 18:03:34 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Listening impressions (Read 54175 times)
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Re: Listening impressions
Reply #50 - 09/30/10 at 03:00:36

If the ZOB sounds as killer as it looks, which I don't doubt, it'll be on quite a few short lists to build, mine included. Keep us informed!
Best, Don

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
BoilermakerFan
Ex Member

Reply #51 - 09/30/10 at 03:15:30

Oh, I will.  I need to mock it up in drywall to make sure the added extension and lower freq. response doesn't require tweaks inside the cabinet.. but I think it will be ok.  I just don't want to have all the internal bits fabbed up in Corian only to realize it could use some tweaks.  

I have some spectacular 4mm thick natural, 100% wool felt from Oz that has the best acoustic properties I have ever heard in felt.  It dampens beautifully without sucking out too much midrange energy.  

I just noticed you have Frugalhorns and Fonkens.  My next set of speakers will probably be 8" Fonken GRs with these same drivers if Dave doesn't get the Castle design scaled up for 8" drivers.  

That second set of speakers will be a ways off though.  We bought a 2006 Honda pilot 12 days ago and it is first in line for sonic upgrades.  The Pioneer DEH-P800PRS deck is going tonight.  Speakers, amp, and sub have to wait for a large SecondSkin order to placed and installed.  Reading Steve's minibook on the secrets of car audio too.  ;-)

IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #52 - 09/30/10 at 18:46:36

The Onken/Fonken style cabinets have very satisfying, well controlled bass. I've built 3 of the above cabs for different drivers and have had ample opportunity to compare the same drivers in different enclosures.
For me its a "no-brainer" as always, YMMV!
Currently finishing a pair of Onken style cabs for the MarkAudio chr70 drivers. These are keepers.
Still like to build a pair of ZOB's though!
Best, Don

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Re: FRX in ZOB  reviews
Reply #53 - 05/22/11 at 15:43:41

I know that it may have been discussed already, but I would like to know what seems to be the general recommendations about the distance from the back and side walls that works with these speakers. I have the FRX drivers coming next week, and want to get a head start on positioning.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
opnly_bafld
Ex Member

Reply #54 - 05/22/11 at 18:24:56

While less will work, 5-6 ft is optimal.

Lin

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Re: FRX troubles
Reply #55 - 05/26/11 at 04:45:51

Just an update: the FRX speakers arrived today(after running down the UPS woman), and everything looked good. Both speakers tested at 6.5 ohms, and no physical problems were seen. You all probably know where I'm headed with this, so I will just say it. One speaker is MUCH louder than the other. Yes, of course, I changed interconnects/speaker cables/amp channels, and anything else I could think of. I have been in this hobby four decades now and had my share of trouble shooting. The only thing I can come up with is that there is some kind of internal damage within 'the black can' on the back of the speaker. Any thoughts?    :'(

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #56 - 05/27/11 at 19:36:50

[size=16][/size]Update II: Talked to Steve today about the speaker problem, and we decided to ship it back for a replacement. It should arrive at Decware next Tuesday.
 The first impression that I have from the 'good' speaker is that I really like the treble that I am hearing, and think I have never in 40+ years of audio, heard anything better. Better yet, I hear no shout, something I am especially sensitive to in my middle years. Bass was there, even though for the moment these speakers are mounted on a very small test baffle until the cabinets are finished. This experience is by no means conclusive since I was more involved inlistening to the troubled speaker more than the music. More in a couple of weeks.....Greg Cool

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #57 - 06/07/11 at 16:21:56

update III:   The one FRX that I have(the other is being shipped to me today from Decware/was damaged in shipping by UPS), is breaking in. I have probably 20 hours on it, but I do not play it loud, just a medium volume. I will be real about this and not gush praise. Just the facts. Right now I notice that the speaker is balanced just the way that I had hoped for, i.e., violins do not screech, voices have no added sibilance, and the treble is still remarkable. It reminds me of horn treble except not harsh. The bass is almost non existent due to the fact that I am using the ZOB baffle board only until the cabinet is complete. I am really hoping for the bass to be as good as the rest of the balance in sound that this speaker offers. Also, I do not have the speaker positioned properly at this time, as it will become viable when the project is complete. Sometimes I use a subwoofer just to hear the difference in presentation. It is  a fair balance, but I must adjust the crossover point of the sub to better blend with the speaker. Keep in mind that so far, I am only listening to one speaker in mono, and even more importantly, I am using a class 'D'       'T' amp because my class 'A' amp produces a lot of heat and I feel that the t  amp is all that is necc. at this time. Of course, I am aware that the amp itself lacks in areas that are important to me, so I will not make any concrete statements about these speakers yet. Still, they do have some inherent qualities that shine through regardless of this amp choice. Next week, I should have the cabinet ready, have the new speaker to break in, and begin building the second cabinet. I am very interested in the result, as this has been my hobby for decades. Cool

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #58 - 06/15/11 at 01:17:36

To get right to the point, my second FRX driver came in today, and of course I hooked it right up. One cabinet is playable, and both baffles are ready to accept a driver. So now I have one driver in a cabinet(Decware OB), and the other mounted in a baffle(for the next cabinet). So see, I still don't have optimum accomadations to listen to these speakers. In spite of all this, it is easy to tell that these have that acoustic sound that I am looking for. I am using a single sub and it is blending very well. The bass from the Decware cabinet is as claimed; Not for rock and roll but very musical.  If there is enough interest in this post, I will add to these observations, otherwise, I am the winner here whether anyone is brave enough to take the leap or not.  Good luck all in your listening endeavors.....Greg

IP Logged
proud_indian
Seasoned Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #59 - 08/26/11 at 14:11:52

"I have about 120 hours on the DFR's and they are loaded on to the ZOB. No bass as yet.
I have been listening at regular volume and still need the sub in, or else it sounds too thin. For those of you who have gone through the break in process pl educate."

I posted the above on the DFR8 forum. I have read what Steve says about the bass kicking in between the 40 to 100 hr time line, but since it has not happened, I wanted some feedback from some of you.

shreekant Smiley

Oppo, hdd,84c, pm6a, cd200, foreplay lll, zbox, bottlehead sex amp, zob, various stuff that make up two systems
WWW   IP Logged
proud_indian
Seasoned Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #60 - 09/07/11 at 05:18:21

300+ hours...the mids and highs are better and the stage has opened up, buy I am still using the sub. It could do with some more bass, maybe after some more break in.

shreekant Smiley

Oppo, hdd,84c, pm6a, cd200, foreplay lll, zbox, bottlehead sex amp, zob, various stuff that make up two systems
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print