Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 17:06:28 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
WO 32 Dual 18" Pro cab? (Read 357 times)
industrial_greyd
Ex Member

WO 32 Dual 18" Pro cab?
03/08/10 at 07:57:55

I think this is my first post, but I've been reading articles on the forums for a while now, so please be patient with me. I think the subject pretty well explains what I want to do, and that is to stretch the dimensions of this design to accommodate 18" drivers instead of 10"s or 12"s.

I would ideally like to double the width to about 6 feet, have a  height of two feet and a depth of three feet, or whatever dimensions would fit the original aspect ratio. I hope they could make it from their cut-off to about 80hz, which would match my 4-way open baffle & horn tops (15"X2 12"X2 2"& 1" on 4'^2 baffle).  

Since I want to make 2 a side and stack them for a 4'X 6' mouth I am trying to keep my driver costs as low as reasonably possible. I have found a driver http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=290-427 that seems good for horn loading (low Qes & high BL), has a lower FS, and I can get it at wholesale. I was really hoping this would work, because I like the dual driver, shared horn mouth design(less wood&weight).

Is there any major flaws with this idea? I would just make an Imperial, but 4 won't fit in any but the largest of trailers, and forget moving them:( Pleas help, I am really itchin' to try some of Steve's designs. Any other driver recommended from Parts Express would be great(wholesale $) and I'm open to 15"s if they'd do the trick. I would be using them for Djs playing Electro/Techno/House, so I need deep, fast, clean bass. Thanks in advance!

Mateo
(industrial_greyd)

Speakers.jpg
  IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Re: WO 32 Dual 18" Pro cab?
Reply #1 - 03/08/10 at 20:42:30

Mateo

I don't believe there is anything in the Decware lineup specifically targeting subs for the DJ.  I think the only DJ type design is the Pro12 which is used for the mains, not the subs.  By the way, the Pro12 is absolutely awesome as a main speaker...My DJ friend was always changing gear around, never happy with what he had - then we built a pair of pro12's and he hasn't changed anything since, except to have me build him two more pairs of Pro12's.

My dual18 Imperials work ok, but - as you said - they are way too big and far too heavy to be a good design for the DJ.  There has been some success with a half Imperial design - I think all the talk and pics are gone - but I'm betting that the half Imperial was never as good as the good old standard Cerwin Vega/B52 type design as far as a sub is concerned.

My DJ friend has concluded that you need both horn loaded subs for the "long throw" design and a ported box for the "short throw".  The Cerwin Vega design is obviously a folded horn "long throw" design, but it is unclear to me if the Imperial might be able to do both at the same time, thereby eliminating an entire set of speakers.

If Steve is out there looking for something else to do, perhaps a DJ style sub needs to be added to the Decware lineup???  Light weight, portable, efficient, and LOUD LOUD LOUD.

Dan

IP Logged
industrial_greyd
Ex Member

Re: WO 32 Dual 18" Pro cab?
Reply #2 - 03/09/10 at 01:03:08

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the reply, I've had good luck using only Cerwin Vega  horns for short focal lengths, but I won't have them soon and want to make a replacement. All I really want to know is if I scale them properly(maybe 64"wide)and use the Sigma Pro drivers, should I have something =>Cerwin Vega Earthquakes. Hope that clarifies things. Thanks again.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print