Send Topic Print
green glue (Read 9511 times)
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

green glue
03/07/10 at 15:23:35

just wanted to put this out there for any interested parties. I have had some noise generated by my nieghbors pickup truck, and the sound came through certain parts of my house, ruining listening, or invading my privacy. So I started looking into soundproofing options. Green Glue came up, and I tried it. You have to put up another layer of sheetrock, but for me it was worth it. So far I have just treated one wall to see how it goes. Ironically, he hasnt started his truck in 4 days(or maybe this stuff really works!  he he). I wait with great anticipation. I have noticed a difference in general that outside noise is eliminated to a large degree.
                  cheers, Greg

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
JLM
Ex Member

Re: green glue
Reply #1 - 12/24/10 at 17:47:57

Yeah, I will add another layer of drywall to the ceiling of my listening room some day and plan on using greenglue.

My stupid builder (said he'd done sound rooms) wouldn't follow the drawings and use gauge metal "Z" strips to attach the ceiling drywall.  But my bad was installing six recessed can fixtures in the ceiling.  And unfortunately the kitchen/mud room are above my room.  But the good news is I do lots of listening at 5 AM when no one else is up to wash dishes or clothes.

Otherwise the room is well isolated physically (double staggered insulated interior stud walls to adjoining storage rooms, two outside basement walls, insulated exterior fiberglass door with weather stripping, and lined fiberglass supply air duct).

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #2 - 01/06/11 at 01:08:40

What is it about contractors not following PAYING customers instructions? I paid a guy to do a simple but important concrete job. In short he ran short of concrete, and it looks like hell and is too thin. I told how thick I wanted it to be, and what my intentions were for the project. We discussed this before even framing up the pad. Now I'm stuck with it. Same thing happened with an engineer that I was working with when building a set of speakers and a pre amp. Yah I could go on, but as much as I can, I just do it myself. The same contractor helped on the green glue job. I told him to get 5.8" sheetrock. You know he showed up with 1/2" . He is 'done' here.....

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
don pettit
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/14/11 at 00:36:49

greg,  move to long beach, washington!  no one here has ever started a truck or made any other kind of noise.  don pettit

IP Logged
übergeek
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 04/30/11 at 06:12:45

Try living on a second floor overlooking a very busy main street, near a university and between bars and restaurants. And, bonus, out the bedroom window in warmer weather you get all the hooplah of one bar's patio/deck, and the parking lot out back. I cannot wait to move and actually have a good reason to finally buy some Decware amps so I can actually hear something! Smiley

(Yeah, it's been a raucous night outside...)

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #5 - 04/30/11 at 19:41:08

ya know, we don't always get to choose where we live and what we DONT know about our new abode. One thing I do is make a little noise in the back yard and see how many dogs reply. I try to ask about traffic and take in the neighborhood to see what surrounds me. The house that I bought here is relatively quiet, there will always be some noise, neccesary or not. Headphones are an option for some, but I am not, as of yet, a convert. Good luck in finding the right place for you...

IP Logged
Emanuel Sefay
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 10/11/13 at 06:27:47

Wow that's a great tip for me. I need it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print