Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 07:51:06 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gold Pins (Read 7415 times)
BLFST

Gold Pins
01/31/10 at 23:56:31

Just a general question - can anyone tell me if there really is a difference in a given tube with gold pins vs the same tube with standard pins?  I am primarily interested in a reduction of the noise floor, but am curious as to other improvements.  I am looking at 12ax7 tubes.

Thanks in advance.

bill

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Gold Pins
Reply #1 - 02/01/10 at 02:04:06

They might stay clean longer?  That would be the biggest difference is my guess.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #2 - 02/01/10 at 02:29:28

Gold would be used for it's conductive properties. Maybe less corrosion.
Don

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
BLFST

Reply #3 - 02/01/10 at 04:52:27

Thanks for your replies.  Your replies basically parallel my own thoughts.  That is one reason that I never bought any gold pin tubes.  But I saw a comparison chart of current production 12ax7 tubes on line earlier that compared the tubes in both gain and noise.  To my surprise, a gold pin tube really outperformed its standard pin counterpart.  I don't know how the tests were done, but it made me curious it the gold pins did offer any improvements.

Thanks.

bill

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #4 - 02/01/10 at 12:26:21

Back in 2002 I tried the EI gold pin tubes in our amps and found that the diameter of the pins was larger.  This made me think the gold plating was an addition to the standard pin plating - or more of an afterthought if you will.  I could be wrong.  Bottom line is, once you inserted one into a 9 pin socket, the socket adjusted to the fatter pins and never gripped stock tubes tightly again after that.  This whole thing could have been a fluke, but after 2002 I gave up on them.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 02/01/10 at 12:27:02

As with a lot of audio junk, gold pinned tubes are primarily a status item, an ego buy, or whatever. The minor benefits of any are far offset by the cost.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
BLFST

Reply #6 - 02/01/10 at 22:31:16

Thankyou both for your additional posts.  I remember you (Steve) telling someone in a post quite a while back who was having socket problems that gold pins could have been the culprit (another reason that I have stayed away from them so far).  I guess that until I read or hear that there is a distinct difference in gold pins, that I will stay with the status quo.

Thanks.

bill

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print