Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
WO and Pro12M use (Read 11962 times)
BigDaddyWaWa
Ex Member

WO and Pro12M use
01/20/10 at 22:29:29

Hello out there,

As I looked through the Decware line of speaker plans I cam across the Wicked One subwoofers and read about them in these forums and many thoughts came to mind.

1) Since my son plays five string bass, is it possible to use the WO36 and a pair of Pro12M in combination for a bass rig??

2) Has any one attempted this and have any idea of the sound quality and whether or not the SPL would be adequate for such use??

I already realize this would require an electronic crossover (80hz), but that will be built into the Lin6 bass POD that will be the preamp.  Carvin amps will power the WO (or two) and Pro12M.

3) If this is a possibilty, can this rig compete with commercial designs??

4) Which WO should be used for the best low end extension??

Any help would be appreciated before I begin to attempt the build this spring.

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Re: WO and Pro12M use
Reply #1 - 01/21/10 at 17:03:57

I do not know alot about Pro Audio but I do have a little knowledge when it comes to the WO. I currently have the standard WO36 (36 x 36) loaded with a pair of Dayton HOs. It is very impressive with numbers down in the 25Hz region but after that she is rolling off. Peaks are around 31Hz to 40Hz with 50Hz just a couple db down from them. I have also tried the cheap-o subs and it was a waste of time and effort. If you spend the extra money to get the right sub you will not be disappointed with the WO36 performance. My 0.02.

HT-EXT

" I TRY TO THINK BUT NUT'EN HAPPENS! " CURLY
  IP Logged
BigDaddyWaWa
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/26/10 at 14:23:30

Thank you for the reply!!!!

I will go ahead with the same as you've suggested.

IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #3 - 01/26/10 at 23:57:13

"Peaks are around 31Hz to 40Hz with 50Hz just a couple db down from them"

Sounds perfect for a 5 string bass.  Has Paul, of the Decware crew, tried his bass through a WO?  Steve?

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #4 - 01/27/10 at 12:03:40

You might not want to use my numbers for the standard. My set up is in the basement with at least three walls underground. I prolly have the advantage when it comes to reproducing bass in a concrete bunker but then again maybe not.

Besides what does a 5-string sound like? I guess, I mean what cords put out what kind of Hz if tuned properly?

HT-EXT

IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #5 - 01/27/10 at 16:00:58

The lowest note a standard 4 string bass has is its low E, 41 hz.  Most 5 string bass'es add a low B string that is tuned to 31 hz.  Usually no cords are played on a bass, just notes.

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #6 - 02/04/10 at 11:49:55

Goes to show you how much I know about music and instruments. I don't even know the difference in cords and notes. Thanks for the info.

HT-EXT

IP Logged
lunatech
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 12/29/10 at 10:47:33

I built a WO-36, and the Pro12's for a friend's DJ rig. He always gets rave reviews for his sound system. It makes for a real nice PA system.
I'm not sure about for use with a bass rig, but the Pro12's are very versatile for use as stage monitors or front of house tops in any type of live work.
Ideally, for live sound, I would reccomend two WO-36's to keep up with the Pro-12's for crowds up to 200 people.
Just my opinion.
More people, just build more sets of speakers.

IP Logged
Stroker-Porsche
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 12/05/11 at 05:11:46

Won't work well.  If you look at bass rigs with folded horn or bandpass set ups like Bag End, they have to use a processor to time align the sound between the sub and top cabinet.

Coustic, Peavey and other have tried it in the past but it always sounded too muddy.

Trace Elliot had a BLX series of bandpass small amps with a piezo tweeter that sounded okay, but again they had an internal processor to even things out.

Bass player 30 years.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print