04/18/24 at 20:09:16 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Plate Amps (Read 8225 times)
After_Hours
Ex Member

Plate Amps
01/19/10 at 14:26:26

Hey guys, just a question for those of you that have used plate amps, where have you installed them? the best plate sub i can find to suit the drivers i have chosen is 9.5"x 9.5" and wont fit into the triangle at the begining of the horn.
I was planning of installing it into one of the sealed sub chambers, would this affect things too much?
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=AA0509&CATID=15&form=CAT&SUBCATID=44...
Drivers are 150W RMS @ 8ohm (10" PA drivers from same store as amp)
AMP 600W RMS @ 4 ohms... should do the trick after i wire my drivers in parallel down to 4om

IP Logged
opnly_bafld
Ex Member

Re: Plate Amps
Reply #1 - 01/20/10 at 04:02:23

Many people build a separate box to put the amp in.

Lin

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #2 - 01/21/10 at 16:50:22

I will haft to side with Lin. The amount of vibration may not be enough to do damage right away but over a period of time you will prolly wind up with some loose solder joints. I personally build the amp its own enclosure and sometimes use a small computer fan to keep the heat sink cool. My friend built a small enclosure for his amp and then attach it to the back of a WO with a rubber gasket. He has had no problems so far(going for about two years now). I not saying you can't do it I just would not recommend it. My 0.02.

HT-EXT

" I TRY TO THINK BUT NUT'EN HAPPENS! " CURLY
  IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/21/10 at 21:21:17

As Openly Baffled said, but some of us use a rack of equipment to control a simple sub-style box, externally.

You only need two cables going into your box if you do that.

IP Logged
After_Hours
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 01/22/10 at 09:08:12

thanks guys

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print