04/24/24 at 22:20:02 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DB28 or DB210 (Read 9878 times)
riley2557
Ex Member

DB28 or DB210
01/19/10 at 03:19:02

I have an idea that would clamshell either two 8"subs or two 10's and then mount either a 2 way or three alignment above the front port. All in a small tower configuration. Obviously the other drivers separate from the death box alignment. Most likely bi-amped. I have no idea how to scale the smaller DB, but I think this would be a great addition to the DIY section of Parts express, and it would be a fantastic speaker. Any one have any interest in helping? I have a carpentry background but very audio engineering.
Thanks
Bill

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Re: DB28 or DB210
Reply #1 - 01/20/10 at 11:18:15

You do not haft to scale the DB10 if you use the right 8" sub. If the intent is to use it in a three-way, I am guessing you want it for bass reinforcement(30Hz - 80Hz). Using the standard DB10 with this subwoofer(http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/MCM-AUDIO-SELECT-55-2421-/55-2421) has yield good results. I only used one subwoofer because I am not a fan of clamshelling. There is nothing wrong with clamshelling but you need twice the power to operate the subs. Just my two cents. Let me know if you would like more info.

HT-EXT

" I TRY TO THINK BUT NUT'EN HAPPENS! " CURLY
  IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #2 - 01/20/10 at 13:51:26

I agree with HT-EXT, I'm not a clamshell fan either.  Double the power, double the price, and only 3db gain.  I'd rather spend 50% more on a better single speaker.  It does cut the ohm's in half though, and if thats what you wanted to do, may have merit there.

Just my 2 cents

Dan

IP Logged
riley2557
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/21/10 at 18:37:36

thanks, do you feel it would be best to by amp, or try and get a cross over designed with single amplification

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #4 - 01/21/10 at 19:35:29

The option is up to you. I personally would build a crossover, if the parts were not going to run into alot of money. The coils and caps needed to crossover subs have a tendency to be expensive. This is were you will need to determine if bi-amped is the way to go. It will prolly be a little more money and less trouble than a crossover. Here is a link that might be of some use building crossovers.

http://www.parts-express.com/resources/crossover-component-selection-guide.cfm

HT-EXT

" I TRY TO THINK BUT NUT'EN HAPPENS! " CURLY
  IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 01/21/10 at 21:25:47

Clamshelling is for compromising for cheap speakers, mostly.

I have had good results from clamshelling bargain drivers, but even better results from using a higher quality single driver.

Damn, I find myself agreeing with DanK, again.

I am NOT stalking you DanK, it was a coincidence, really!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print