04/25/24 at 18:09:00 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
HWK vs WO (Read 9614 times)
After_Hours
Ex Member

HWK vs WO
01/17/10 at 01:21:11

Hi, I'm looking at building either a HWK15 or WO(10" Drivers) for use with my mobile dj set up. i currently use a pair of ported 15" boxes which i find are great when im doing smaller venues(50 - 150 people), they go along nicely with my 12" powerd speakers.

Im now looking for a sub i can use on bigger venues (150 people +) and cant decide between a HWK with 2 15" drivers or a WO, built to full 36x36 spec.

Obviously the HWK looks the eaiser build but i cant go past the merits of a double horn, my grandfather who is a real audiophile swears by horns. So just a lil confused as to which road to take.

Also if i go HWK i was going to install a sub amp modual into the unit so its easier to set up when im at a gig.
Its got a built in adjustable cross over so would be a lot easier for set up and tuining instead of running a seperate cross over and amp set up. (will post link in next post)
Thanks for the help  :)

IP Logged
After_Hours
Ex Member

Re: HWK vs WO
Reply #1 - 01/17/10 at 01:22:01

Link to the sub amp modual i want to install into a HWK
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=AA0509&CATID=15&form=CAT&SUBCATID=44...
Looks like a nifty lil unit

IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #2 - 01/17/10 at 13:50:20

I have never DJ'ed, but I have a friend who does and between the two of us have built a HWK (18's), WO (10's), and Pro12's.  He has gone through a lot of equipment on his journey to get to where he is now, all of it used or home built, picked up at bargain basement prices.  He swears by the Pro12's for mains, and now has 6 of them.  For bass he has tried and discarded the HWK (too big for what it does).  He has used my dual 18 Imperials along with his equipment at a party I was at (again, too big and heavy for what they added).  He has a WO in one of his vehicles and has never gotten the urge to drag it out and use it for DJ'ing, so that might say something.  He swears that you need both ported box and horn type sub's to get both "short throw" and "long throw" coverage at a big venue and now runs a pair of dual speaker ported boxes (15's I believe) for the short throw and a pair of Earthquake type folded horns (single 18) for the long throw coverage.  I haven't seen anything better than the earthquake design when it comes to size, weight, and output.  

Dan

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/17/10 at 20:38:59

I agree with DanK, in that a combo is better that trying to do it all with one type of box.

I never DJ'ed (I actually hate people, but I love BIG sound!!) but I have rented many of my systems to shore up the sound of small DJ operations. My "low bass dual eighteen folded horns"  in combination with my "ported and front faced mid-bass horns"  was a combo that was hard to beat for large crowds in medium sized venues.

Two big boxes (horns, twenty eight cubic feet each), two medium, midbass boxes (horns, eight cubic feet each), four large mid/high horns (four cubic feet each) and four high horns (all the mids and highs are splayed for dispersion) and about ten or twelve KW per side, quad-amped, would do everything we ever needed in most venues.

I don't think you will find a single design that will do both small crowds and large crowds.

For smaller crowds in larger venues, I usually just brought in one large bass box and set it in a corner and the main house system was just the upper three sets of box styles. In fact, for many venues, I would often leave out the lower voiced high boxes and just use the one dual eighteen horn in a corner, two "midbass" boxes and two HF horns (one low-mid and one high per side, bi-amped with one sub out to the lows in the corner).

The other thing worth considering is what kind of music are you are playing. It would be difficult to do modern rap without some rumbling bass and it would be silly to use that same bass system with a typical country crowd.

IP Logged
After_Hours
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 01/17/10 at 21:53:27

Cool thanks for the info there guys. I was never going to get rid of the 15" ported sub boxes im running at the moment and was going to add the HWK15 or WO onto the system for larger crowds. After reading the advice i think i might run with the following set up:

2x 12" powered speakers (mid - high)
Possibly adding an extra set of powerd speakers in the near future (maybe some of the Pro 12's)
2x 15" ported boxes (short throw bass)
2x Wicked Ones (long throw bass)
Thoughts?

Also most of the music im playing is 80's 90's pop/rock. modern pop, House, dance, and urban (rap, rnb etc) As of yet, have not had a single request for country music Cheesy i am in Melbourne Australia though.

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 01/17/10 at 22:32:45

Melbourne?

That changes everything!!

... doesn't it?

Pop and R&B, modern Alternative/Indy, old school classic rock ... you can likely skip the giant bass boxes and get by very well with a couple of WOs for most medium sized venues.

I have only had one chance to "let fly" at high power my one dual fifteen Housewrecker and to be most honest, I had more bass outside the building than I did inside. I believe this had to do with the dimensions of the building and what nodes may become a problem, but (it was a five hundred table, low roof party hall with a small, central dance floor - I am sure that Steve can eloquently describe the acoustical anomalies we were facing, with no further description of the hall - I would be forced to use harsh expletives, however) the bass was there, but it was more powerful well outside the dance area.

WOs (probably four of them) would have been a better choice due to their directionality and the concentrated force of their airflow.

I only have used four WOs with one local band (but for over three years now) in various small venues, but with two per side, their compact "club PA system" is quite impressive, to be most humble about it (we set them up in various ways - sometimes all facing forward, sometimes, facing at various angles - occasionally both facing towards a corner - you just have to be willing to think as you set them up, because they don't always need to go forward with the rest of your speakers - be flexible).

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print