Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 20:17:13 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tube rolling the CSP2 (Read 66989 times)
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Tube rolling the CSP2
01/07/10 at 04:50:20

Fellow CSP2 fans I have to share that I can heartily recommend the 6CG7/6FQ7 family of twin triode tube in the center position.
I've been running several 6CG7 in the center/input slot, but in particular RCA old equipment pulls, and the result is very nice. It is a tube with a longer plate structure and electrically close to the family of tubes that are spec'd for this preamp. The tube is a bit taller than the height of a 6DJ8/6922. Been running them for 2 months so all is safe. Try it you'll like it Smiley

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: Tube rolling the CSP2
Reply #1 - 01/07/10 at 12:43:37

You say "tube rolling;" I say "valve swapping."

I tried some of those 6CG7's in my MLB headphone amplifier, which is the predecessor to the CSP2. I concluded that they lacked the life, sparkle and verve of a 6N1P-EV or a member of the 6922 family of tubes. So I sold my 6CG's.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #2 - 10/31/11 at 16:23:43

There was a very good thread started on the choice of rectifier tubes.

If anyone has tried difference flavours of the 6922/6DJ8/6N1P vacuum tubes, please share your experience here.

IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #3 - 06/03/12 at 08:35:46

For those who are interested, there have been many threads posted in the WWW about people preferring Lorenz Stuttgart Germany PCC88 Tubes over the more famous Siemens CCa Grey shields.

I have personally compared (and preferred) the Lorenz Tubes over the Siemens Grey Shields CCa, Valvo Grey Shields CCa, Telefunken, French Made Philipe E188CC, Russian 6N1P-EV tubes etc...

This is a brief comparative review of the Lorenz PCC88/E88CC/CCa tubes.
I intend to post a more comprehensive review over in the Tubes Asylum Forum in the very near future.
The 5 types of Lorenz (Stuttgart Germany) tubes in my possession are

Lorenz 2 Mica Version
(a) CCa
(b) E88CC
(c) PCC88

Lorenz 3 Mica Version
(a) E88CC
(b) PCC88

I had been using the Lorenz PCC88 2 Mica version rather contentedly for many months now and had only swopped in my other Lorenz tubes from time to time for non-serious comparisons.
Recently, I decided to get really serious.
For a fair comparison, I managed to burn in all my Lorenz tubes for 100+ hrs.
They were all subjected to 24 hours burn in (heater only) and another round of >80 hours of audio burn in using burn-in audio CDs for e.g . the frybaby mp3.

The audio characteristics are as follows:-

Lorenz 2 Mica Version
Since I was in a unique position to be able to compare all these Lorenz variants, one of my discoveries was that the 2 Mica tubes seem to be able to introduce Tube Euphony at certain audio frequencies. They remind me of the frequency equalizers found in some of my older digital hifi equipment.

If you ever played adventure role-playing games such as "The Bard's Tale" series or the recent "Dragon Age: Origins", one of the abilities of a Master Bard is the ability to enthrall audiences. The equivalent over here would be the ability to inject Tube Euphony.

(a) CCa – Best (i.e. most euphoric) Treble or High Frequencies. Best for instrumental audio tracks especially string instruments or Wind instruments.
Best resolution and sonic clarity.
Best Instrument separation. Backup vocal singers are the most distinct from the lead singers.
Mids are slightly warmer than PCC88 version. Soundstage is smaller than PCC88. Mids are slightly more forward than the PCC88.
This tube is highly recommended for Classical music with plenty of string instruments.
On “The Story” by Brandi Carlile, this tube managed to evoke a strong emotional response in me when the guitar was played. So far, no other tube (Lorenz or otherwise) has ever managed to do so. If you want to add a dose of Tube “magic” to your treble, the Lorenz CCa is highly recommended.

(b) E88CC – Best (i.e. most euphoric) Vocals or Mid Range. Best for music with emphasis on vocals. This tube reminds me of the Telefunken family of tubes which can impart special mid-range magic to any song.
2nd best resolution and sonic clarity. Mids are the warmest in the Lorenz family. Soundstage is smaller than PCC88. Mids are slightly more forward than the PCC88.
If you like music with emphasis on vocals, this is the tube for you.
If I did not own the 3 Mica Lorenz variants (details below), I would have considered this to be my personal favourite. This tube can make Madonna sing with emotion! Yes, her contemporary pop songs are catchy but this was the first time I felt so moved by her vocals. As for how magical this tube is, let’s just say that I would not hesitate to put out a “Do Not Disturb” sign when I am listening to Ella Fitzgerald with this tube.

(c) PCC88 – Best (i.e. most impactful) Percussive Drums or low end Bass. You can “feel” the greatest impact from this tube.
Best 3D effect with the largest soundstage of all 5 Lorenz tube variants.
This has a slight sonic “veil” as compared with the other 2 Mica variants.
This tube is most recommended for music whereby the bass is emphasised. This tube literally KICKS ASS! When listening to Japanese Taiko drums on my cans, there are times when I feel as though I am listening to real solid vibrationary drums from speakers.

Lorenz 3 Mica Version

(a) E88CC – Balanced Tube with soundstage about the same size as the Lorenz 2 Mica E88CC and CCa. Is the 2nd best in all audio frequencies as compared with the 2 Mica Lorenz tubes. Mids are slightly more forward than the PCC88.

(b) PCC88 - Balanced Tube with the smallest soundstage. Is the 2nd best in all audio frequencies as compared with the 2 Mica Lorenz tubes.

The best way to describe the 3 Mica Lorenz family tube would be “balanced”.

What I mean is that the 3 Mica Lorenz tubes are outstanding on their own with regard to the low end, the mid range and the top end treble frequencies.
However, they are 2nd best when compared with the Treble of the 2 Mica CCa, the midrange of the 2 Mica E88CC and the low end bass of the 2 Mica PCC88 which were mentioned above.

Conclusion
I would not say that there is any one BEST Lorenz tube.

If your audio chain requires a tweak in the Treble, mid-range or Low End, then I would recommend the Lorenz 2 Mica CCa, E88CC or PCC88 respectively over the other Lorenz tubes.

If you prefer a balanced “workhorse” tube, then the Lorenz 3 Mica tubes are recommended over the 2 Mica variety.

I listen to an eclectic range of music and so my personal favourite tube is now the Lorenz 3 Mica E88CC. This seems to do everything very well. It may lose out to the 2 Mica Lorenz tubes individually but the Lorenz 3 Mica E88CC still manages to impart some (as in a slight amount of) tube euphony into the entire audio spectrum.

As for why I prefer the E88CC over the PCC88, the PCC88 has a slight sonic veil and also has the smallest soundstage of all the 5 tubes which I reviewed. The PCC88 has excellent instrument separation though and when this is combined with a smaller soundstage, the backup singers and main vocals are very distinct but seem to be slightly “squashed together”.

If you are not as perturbed by this audio quirk as I am, then the Lorenz PCC88 3 Mica version should be able to meet the needs of just about any other audiophile out there. Yes, the PCC88 (3 Mica) is really that good!

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 06/04/12 at 15:24:56

Lord Soth appreciate the detailed info included in your post...knowledge is power thanx for sharing.

jd

IP Logged
s1
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/13/12 at 04:20:59

+1 Thanks Lord Soth Smiley

IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #6 - 06/14/12 at 13:50:18

Hi JD and S1,

Thanks for the positive feedback.

Audio-tube rolling and reviewing is really hard work.

BTW, should you ever be looking for Lorenz tubes, Ebay is a very good source.
Just wanted to let you know that Lorenz tubes do show up on Ebay from time to time.

For the CSP2+, all we require is only 1 single tube, so tube hunting is much easier than if we required a matched pair like other tube amps out there.

Cheers!

Lord Soth

IP Logged
setamp
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 06/25/12 at 13:11:59

I am the new owner of a used csp2+.  It came with a complement of amperex bugle boy 6dj8/e88cc tubes as well as a mullard cv593 rectifier.

while mids and upper mids sound nice and warm and smooth, the bass is soft and flubby.  

where should i begin in tube rolling?  it seems the front tube and rectifier have a large effect on tone.  i would like to tighten up my bass but not lose the volume and weight of bass.  i also prefer a warm sound and deep soundstage.  i am VERY sensitive to glare/grain/harshness in the upper mids/lower highs.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 06/25/12 at 13:53:58

I don't know as much about Amperex Bugle Boys as I do other brands, and I'm not really fond of 6DJ8, but what I've read of them and what little experience I have makes me think they would not be presenting "flabby bass." I'd suggest trying 6N1P tubes in the three spots; cryoset.com sells some very nice ones.  At least try one in the first position. I find these tubes to give warmth and yet not a hint of flab.

The rectifier may be the culprit. I believe the 2+ comes stock with 5U4G type rectifiers and I'd recommend as old an RCA that you can find. . . Try at least a sixties RCA. With these RCAs I almost always get warm but tight bass.

Just my suggestions! Waiting for my own CSP2+ to arrive in a few months.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
setamp
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 06/25/12 at 21:54:51

Please disregard my message above about soft and flabby bass.  I was checking out my system today and realized I had inserted a diy interconnect someone wanted me to try.  I swapped it out for my usual cable and everything is now fine.  Sorry for the false alarm  :-[

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #10 - 06/26/12 at 12:02:49

Whew! Well, that explains that! Carry on with listening enjoyment!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #11 - 06/26/12 at 15:55:02

Posted by: setamp Quote:
where should i begin in tube rolling?  it seems the front tube and rectifier have a large effect on tone.  i would like to tighten up my bass but not lose the volume and weight of bass.  i also prefer a warm sound and deep soundstage.  i am VERY sensitive to glare/grain/harshness in the upper mids/lower highs.

Hi setamp, glad to hear that your problem has been fixed.

BTW, for tube rolling, for starters,  you can try the solo input tube in front.
This has a very significant impact on the rest of the sound from the CSP2+ tube amp.

The (legendary) Joe's tube lore over here is a very good resource for tube rolling tips.

The link is over here.
http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/d.pl?audio/faq/joes-tubes.html

I recently got hold of some Amperex 6922 - Made in USA (* etch) tubes.
They are reasonably priced and offer what you are looking for.

The bass is tight and impactful, not too boomy or flabby.

The Amperex 6922 also adds a nice touch of tube euphonics to the mids and treble.

At the same time, the sound is grainless, i.e. there is no noticeable sonic veil as compared with famous tubes such as the Siemens CCa Grey shields which I have rolled before.

I also recently won some Bugle Boys (D getters) from Ebay for a very good price. I shall post my impressions in the very near future.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 06/26/12 at 18:21:54

I thought bass was "flubby?"

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
setamp
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 06/26/12 at 21:57:22

It was flubby and flabby

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #14 - 06/27/12 at 00:00:49

I once had a music-loving cat. . . who was tubby and tabby.

IP Logged
setamp
Verified Member

Reply #15 - 06/27/12 at 12:15:51

I found a trio of 60's vintage 6N1P's that I hope arrive for the weekend.  It will be interesting to see how they affect the sound.

I am assuming a 6H30 cannot be used in the front position as it is not a direct replacement for a 6N1P, 6DJ8, 6922.  Has anyone confirmed this?

IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #16 - 06/27/12 at 13:19:45

According to 2 famous and reliable Tube sellers

"The 6H30 tube type is generally not compatible with 6922 and ECC88 tube types."

http://thetubestore.com/6h30types.html

And also over here,

"This tube is not a replacement for 6922 or any other tube type."

http://www.upscaleaudio.com/6h30pi-gold-pin/

IP Logged
setamp
Verified Member

Reply #17 - 06/27/12 at 17:20:54

I asked because I used it in my Dodd tube buffer which allows for its use as well as a 6DJ8 or 6922.

IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #18 - 07/03/12 at 16:13:38

Hi setamp,

In general, for tube amps, you can use an alternative tube if the alternative tube has a lower filament current than the original stock tube as was specified in the original tube amp design.

For example, if you take the case of the CSP2+ which was originally designed for the 6N1P tubes,  the filament current of the 6N1P is greater than the alternative European and US ECC88 family of tubes, this is why ECC88, E88CC and 7308, etc can be used instead of the 6N1P.

For the Dodd tube amp, it was originally designed for the 6H30 tube. The 6H30 tube has a larger filament current than the 6N1P tube.

You can compare the specs using the following links.

6N1P : Filament Current of (MIN) 0.55 to 0.65 (MAX) A
http://www.russiantubes.com/prop.php?t=12&p=194

versus

6H30P : Filament Current of (MIN) 0.725 to 0.9 A (MAX)
http://www.russiantubes.com/prop.php?t=12&p=233

In such cases, it is therefore generally not advisable to use the 6H30P tube in a CSP2+.

Unless you don't mind taking the risk, it is best to check with Steve before you pop in that 6H30 tube.

BTW, this is the technical reasoning behind what Kevin Deal was trying to say at his website.
http://www.upscaleaudio.com/pages/6922-Tube-Types.html

"Do not use a 6N1P in a 6922 position. But you can almost always use a 6922 in a 6N1P position in products like Peachtree Audio and others.

Do not use a 6H30. The 6H30 is a completely different tube. You also cannot use a 6922 in a 6H30 position except for a couple rare preamps, check with the manufacturer."  

IP Logged
setamp
Verified Member

Reply #19 - 07/04/12 at 01:41:29

Lots of good info.  Thank you for taking the time and effort to post this.

IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #20 - 07/23/12 at 17:52:00

For those who are lusting after the Lorenz but can't get hold of them,
a suitable and worthy replacement would be the normal Amperex (*USA) 6922 which is cheap and readily available.

I finally carried out an audio shootout between the Pinched Waist 6922 Amperex (* USA) versus my stash of Lorenz tubes.

The PW 6922 has the treble euphonic extension of the Lorenz CCa (2 Mica) and the Midrange euphony of the Lorenz E88CC (2 Mica).
The bottom end of the PW 6922 has punch but loses out slightly to the Lorenz PCC88 (2 Mica).

Another way of looking at the PW 6922 is that it is similar to a Lorenz PCC88 (3 Mica) or Lorenz 6922 (3 Mica) in being balanced sonically.
However, the PW 6922 still does sound slightly better at both the Treble and the Midrange.

The normal Amperex 6922s themselves are also almost as good (IMHO at least 90%) as pinched waist Amperex 6922s.
The usual drill about "D" getters and grey shields being better also apply as usual. Wink

Epilogue or Prologue as the case may be. Joe was right!
IMHO, the Amperex PW 6922s are the King of the hill! Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21 - 08/19/12 at 21:41:34

No lusting after Lorenz for me. My CSP2+ is arriving Wednesday and I'm going to use three supercryo'd 6N1P tubes from cryoset.com -- these have been my favorite tubes for the Torii and my CSP2. Looking forward to breaking in the preamp, its flexibility and any differences between this and the CSP2. Now my dream system really only lacks one thing: a ZP3. Time to start saving, thinning the herd, etc. for that beauty.

IP Logged
sberger
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 08/20/12 at 01:14:18

Lon great news! Looking forward to your review(s) out of the box and as it breaks in and makes friends with your Torii. I'm really enjoying my Artemis LA-1 per but I would like to try to get my CSP2 back in the chain.

Those N1P's sound great. I should try some although I presently have Amperex's 6922's, 6DJ8's, 7DJ8's, Edwisian 6922's, Mullard 6922's and some I'm sure I'm forgetting. Wouldn't mind finding some of those Lorenz's either but they're almost impossible to source.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23 - 08/20/12 at 02:33:41

I'll definitely be posting impressions, you know me.

I've tried all kinds of tubes in the front end of the Torii and in all holes of the CSP2 and I just keep going back to the 6N1P. Just has the "forgiving" little bit that I need and the best overall tonal qualities for my collection and room.

IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #24 - 05/03/13 at 19:17:00

I finally got down to rolling my NOS Matched Pair of Siemens E288CC (grey shields) tubes.

These tubes are considered to be a dark horse due to much bashing by Joe's tube lore. However they have earned much praise elsewhere too.

So the question to any tube roller would be, what do these sound like in the CSP2+???

When used as a preamp, the Siemens E288CC works great in the 2x output section.
Without any prolonged burn-in, the tubes are a sonic equivalent ( in my setup) to the Siemens 7308.
Since tubes will improve with use, I'd expect them to surpass the E188CC eventually.

According to the E288CC data sheet, the E288CC is supposed to have higher GM vs the "normal" 6DJ8/E88CC/E188CC.
When used as a preamp, what is interesting to me is that my volume knob choices were maintained at exactly the same level as before.
In the CSP2+, with the self - biasing design, I have found that I have gotten the same volume as the 6DJ8/E88CC/E188CC tubes.

When used as a headphone amp, however, I have to reduce the volume knob by 1 notch.

Some of my sonic impressions of the E288CC are :-

1. Bigger Sound stage vs 7308 Siemens
Live recordings make you feel like you are really there.

2. Crystal clear vocals like the Siemens CCA tubes - these are factory selected UBER tubes

3. Natural tonality - pianos sound like they are in the room

4. Transparency
I normally do not use my CSP2+ with my SE tube power amp because I can hear a slight sonic veil.
What I'd surprising here is that for once I can't detect any sonic veil! Smiley
For once I can have my cake and eat it coz the CSP2+ still adds a touch more of organic tube warmth and 3D holographic imaging to my set-up.

5. Treble
Hi frequencies are well rendered.
Cymbals have a nice sheen and sparkle.
Strings have "emotional" appeal with great tonal decay, ranks among the best tubes I have heard.

6. Bass
Above average.
Tight and not inadequate in any way.

My source : OPPO 95.
My other tubes are 1x Brimar 5R4GY RECTIFIER and 1x Amperex Pinched Waist 6922 *USA for the input section.
My headphones: Beyer T1.

IP Logged
Francesco
Verified Member

Reply #25 - 09/29/13 at 00:58:11

hello peoples
Let introducing myself
My name is Francesco from Montreal Canada, a couples of weks ago i bought used a CSP 2+ with the russian tubes and the 5U4 Chinese
after testing with my tube tester the 6N1P-EB was no too good, so I decide to start a tube roling, i try same Tunsgram 6922 to noisy, russian 6922 no good, amperex 6dj8 bof!!
Then i put 3 philips E188CC from holland 1965 and a 5U4 GB Philips Miniwat also from Holland, and ........WOW....WOW
My monoblock 845 have a new life, strong and tight bass very musical
I am very Happy, thanks Mr Deckert
Francesco
Sorry about my poor English

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #26 - 09/29/13 at 01:29:54

Francesco,

Welcome! Glad you enjoying the Decware sound.

And your English is very good!

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 09/29/13 at 06:33:44

Francesco,

Thanks for your input. Right now I am running some early 60s Amperex E188CC in my Torii and I really like them! I have not tried them in the CSP3 yet. In the CSP3 I am using Ultron 6BQ7As drivers, an Ediswan (Mullard) 6DJ8 input, and a 50s GE/RCA 5U4G-ST. Also WOW! I too am getting a very strong, tight bass, and really there is brilliant clarity and dynamics throughout...all delivered very musically.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Francesco
Verified Member

Reply #28 - 09/29/13 at 12:54:52

Bonjour Will & Lon
The preamp sound well also with A Sylvania 5931 JAN.
The 5U4 GB is branded Philips Miniwat but is a GE USA, I forgot to mention that, here is a picture

miniwatt.jpg
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 09/29/13 at 13:19:53

Etched glass is definitely GE. Glad you found your right tubes.

55   IP Logged
Francesco
Verified Member

Reply #30 - 09/29/13 at 13:38:32

I Riviera ranch
Wath is this the tubes configuration for your Preamp?
du you use the 6Q7B, wow is sound?
Francesco

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 09/29/13 at 18:31:34

Lord South here is the expert on tube swapping in this amp.

I am using GE 6BQ7A tubes screened for Tektronix. They are drier and more accurate than the standard 6N1P-EV.

You might want to start with 3 6N1P-EV tubes in all positions and work from there.

Try 6BQ7A; 6922, 6N23P, 7308 and if you haven't lost your mind then you can venture into the exotic - E188CC; E288CC, etc.

55   IP Logged
KobeeDog

Reply #32 - 04/26/14 at 02:07:03

I have a spare Gold Lion 6922 laying around. Has anyone tried this tube in the #1 position?

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #33 - 04/26/14 at 04:26:12

I have tried a lot of various tubes in the first postion. It will work there. Why not give it a listen?

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
KobeeDog

Reply #34 - 04/26/14 at 20:00:42

Tried it. Sounds pretty good. Sounds more and airy than the previous tube in there, which has always been my experience with 6922 tubes.

I'm guessing 6922 will work in the other spots as well?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #35 - 04/26/14 at 20:14:25

Yes, it will.

IP Logged
KobeeDog

Reply #36 - 04/29/14 at 02:46:16

OK, I tried the 6922 in the front slot and it caused a noticeable hum, an unforgivable sin, in my opinion.

I put the original tube back in, and no hum.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 04/29/14 at 04:10:34

I am a little confused. I thought when you first tried the gold lion 6922, and it sounded good, it was in the "1st" or front position??? I suspect that if it caused hum there, it is likely that tube itself rather than the tube type or the pre-amp. In my experience, it is the second position (pair) that can be a little tricky.

IP Logged
KobeeDog

Reply #38 - 04/29/14 at 11:40:00

The preamp originally came with a Sylvania tube (not sure what kind, but I don't think a 6922) in the front position.

I swapped that out the other day for the Gold Lion 6922. I'm not sure if the hum started last night (when I first noticed it), or if it had been there all along.

I suspect it just started, because with music not playing, I can hear the hum from my listening position, about 10 feet away. I would have noticed that before, right?

IP Logged
Luis

Reply #39 - 03/01/15 at 09:15:45

Hi, anyone using at the moment a 7dj8 as input? I was wondering how this could sound with two 6n1p-ev. Thanks, Luis

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #40 - 03/01/15 at 13:22:04

Luis, I haven't used that tube type but I know Will has and really likes them but I don't know if he's tried it in a CSP.  He's talked about them in his Torii MK IV and III.  He'll give you his impression when he gets on today.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Luis

Reply #41 - 03/01/15 at 15:14:20

Good to know, thanks Mark. Luis

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #42 - 03/01/15 at 15:36:49

Luis,  I'm nearing the end of Will's Opus on the Torii MK IV and he lists what he is currently using in his CSP3..."Tubes are now: an American Amperex 7308 in front, a pair of Phillip/Holland E188CC in the power positions, and a 1940's Westinghouse labelled (looks like an RCA) 5R4GY-ST"

I too am using an Amperex 7308 as an input in my CSP3 but I'm using the stock Valve Art 274B as rectifier and a pair of 60's triple mica Russian Military 6N1P-E boxed anode tubes as outputs.  So far this combo is my favorite.  I am not good at putting what I hear into Audio Lingo so I'll leave that to others. My advice, which I found difficult to follow myself, is take it slow.  Only change one thing at a time and live with it for a while before moving on to other changes.  This is a Marathon, not a 50 yard dash.  Enjoy, Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Luis

Reply #43 - 03/01/15 at 18:34:01

I look for the triple mica 6n1p from time to time and I never find any, as much as I like the 6n1p-ev those are some I would like to try! Luis

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #44 - 03/01/15 at 18:59:37

Luis,  these are the ones from the Russian seller that I, Syd (Marky) and Funch have bought.  I'm not sure why there's a $5 difference. I recommend them. Mark.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-RAREST-MILITARY-TESTED-PAIR-6N1P-E-boxed-anode-CCa-E...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-RAREST-MATCHED-BALANCED-PAIR-6N1P-E-military-boxed-a...

IP Logged
Luis

Reply #45 - 03/01/15 at 19:05:27

Alright Mark! Thanks! Luis

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #46 - 03/03/15 at 23:36:34

Luis, I have been playing around the last few days with PCC88s, and though it usually takes several days for me to really hear some changes fully, I really like them so far.

Mine is a CSP3 with jupiter caps. As Mark said, I had been using a USA Amperex 7308 in the input and Phillips SQ E188CC in the 2nd positions, with a Westinghouse labelled 5R4GY (probably a 40s RCA). This set came from attempts to get the CSP3, linear, extended, slightly warm, and with the a high level of complex detail. “Detail” is an odd thing we all interpret it in our own ways. My explorations are showing me there is more to it than I thought. It is definitely a part of what we associate with clarity and brightness, but it has many layers and levels if the gear can pull it, and this is what I have been looking into. In doing so, I found I could have high levels of detail without hardness, I believe due to an actual increase that is more layered. With more layers of detail, more particles so to speak, micro detail and inner detail....if it is all there, and in balance, the perception of detail can be softer and more textured...like more bits creates greater resolution. I can't recall why I got onto 6922s in front before, but the 7DJ8 can be very good for micro detail also.

As with everything, if our system/rooms are revealing as Decware can be, everything effects everything else. As an example, for a short while I had been listening to Reflektor 6P3S-E power tubes, and they are warmer, wetter, richer, and have a different way of balancing the highs and mids than the more linear Genalex KT66 I am used to. So when I started testing PCC88s in the CSP, they were harder to read. Putting back the Genalex, everything is more familiar and less colored, so easier for me since the system and my mind are tuned to the Genalex.

Generally, the PCC88/7DJ8 sort of combines traits of 6DJ8/ECC88 and 6922/E88CCs...open texture of 6DJ8s, and speed, articulation and linearity similar to the 6922, but also, there is the PCC88 open spaciousness, generally across the spectrum, and great texture, that give it a “live” feel that is its own trait.

Compared to 6922s, most are a little less extended on bottom, but don't feel lacking to me, the bass generally pretty fast and solid. Most are notably clear and open, with a relatively strong sense of micro detail complexity. The openness contributes to detail complexity and “liveness,” the very empty space between notes helping everything to emerge with clarity, micro detail and the associated texture and feathered edges,. This also is good for ambient information near and far.

The 6922 type, is probably the most dynamic, extended and neutral in frequency balance, but the more defined edges can be hard and/or cool when it does not work, and they can feel a little “too good,” lacking off-beat character that can accent musicality. Alternately, 7DJ8's slightly reduced bass extension, open spaciousness, and micro detail articulation, depending on everything else in the system/room, they could come off as too clear.

Like all tube types, these are generalities and different makes and vintages can vary quite a lot within the type tendencies.

And it all depends what we start with. The PCC88 traits may be just right to wake up a system. Or if what we have is satisfying as-is, they could throw off the balance. But with some other tubes to play with, and/or amp adjustments, a change that may be a little too much at first, can turn into great beauty with some tuning.

So who knows.

For context, without changes other than putting back in the Genalex KT66, I put my favorite black plate 6N1P in front of the CSP (I have never heard the 3 micas). The 6N1P  sounds quite good to me, though less refined after the 7308. Similar warmth, the 6N1P has a softer, less defined (but still nice) bass; more textured and pleasantly forward/clear mids (more mid-mids focus enhancing close ambience); though nicely detailed feeling, it has less complex/micro detail and is less extended on both ends; and they are less solid overall. The 7308 is more linear, accurate and complete, which can be good or bad depending on objectives and what we are putting it with. I had put the 7308 in for its accuracy, including micro detail, extension, dynamics, definition....but with a pleasant warmth and smooth musicality that seems to be inherent to this tube. That said, with this tube set, I enjoy the 6N1P, musical, fresh and forgiving, though I personally prefer the 7308's more complete sound.

Then I put a Miniwatt PCC88 with a large O getter. It was not as loud as the 6N1P, so I upped the main volume a little to compensate, but this made it sound a little thick, especially in the mid-bass. So I tried increasing the power tube (2nd) silver volume pots. I had been running them on 8 and the front ones on 9. Now they are both on 9 and for some reason, the sound got better, evening up the presentation of the PCC88, more powerful notes from clearer space and no notable low end thickness. Maybe it has something to do with the 7 volts of the PCC88, or maybe the CSP balance, but it brought it out very nicely. Warm, but open and fresh.

Compared to the 7308, it has a little less bass extension, but with the PCC88's fast, revealing character, it feels solid and extended in a different way....and with its characteristic open spaciousness and quite good micro detail and texture, the edges are softened but nice and clear, notes coming from more space. They sound very good. Compared to the 6N1P, these are more linear with the a similar mid openness, but the openness spreads down and up with the PCC88. Nice. I see this tube now and then at reasonable prices on ebay.

Then I tried a warmer National PCC88. With the 2nd knobs on 8, these had an odd imbalance. Very clear mids, but mids up, less complex, making them a little rigid. And the lower-mids to the low bass was warmer, softer and less defined than the Phillips, a bit muddled by comparison. I have never fallen for this tube for these reasons. But with the second pots on 9...again a really good change with this particular tube set. Though with less complex detail and the slightly soft/dark/less defined low mids (compared to the Miniwatt) it sounds really good to me. Closer to the 6N1P warmth and frequency balance, but it has more micro detail balancing the mids, upper mids and highs better than the 6N1P...and smoothly. With more open spaciousness, everything feels more alive and present, from bass to highs, open with more balanced ambience than the 6N1P.  I am of course talking in serious listening mode, little things being magnified, but this tube sounds very good, if a little warm for my personal tastes.....this is available from Upscale Audio.

Then I put in a Zaerix labelled PCC88, it looks Russian made. This tube in my experience is sort of on its own as a PCC88. It is extended and extraordinarily spacious, with nice smooth balance. It seemed a bit pushed with the 2nd knobs on 9, so I dropped them back to the original 8 giving more natural tone and dynamics. It's more extended bottom, and sort of big inner spaciousness are really nice; texture is smoother than many PCC88s but present with a sense of complete detail; edges feather well though and this tube is comparatively fast and solid. It covers all ambient information exceptionally. Also a little warm, but still nicely spacious, first impressions are very good. It is still available on ebay.

There are many other nice PCC88s available and I have many more I like, but I need to move on. With three for three PCC88s sounding very good to me once adjusted, it seems a good tube for the input, at least with these tubes, and in this setting. The enhanced open spaciousness of the tube type, the “live player” quality, is quite seductive for me. If these traits sound like what you would like, I would by all means try one in the CSP input. Thanks for the reminder.

IP Logged
Luis

Reply #47 - 03/04/15 at 16:29:21

Will!! thanks a lot for the answer, I really appreciate the effort!! I´m currently using an Amperex bugle boy 6dj8 with two 6n1p-ev in my CSP2+ with great success but I don´t really have the possibility of doing such a great tube rolling so that´s why I really appreciate your opinion and Mark´s and Lon´s and many others that are always ready to help!! Thanks, really!! I will definitely look for one 7DJ8 to see how they work! Luis

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #48 - 03/04/15 at 23:17:00

Luis, I put in a mid-60's Bugle Boy 6DJ8. I used it for quite a while several years back and was surprised how well I remembered it. I like it with this tubes set, the Phillips E188CCs and Westinghouse 5R4GY. With the CSP3 settings on 9 in front and back, and the main volume pointing to the outside edge of the 2nd, right volume pot, I did a brief comparison with the Zaerix labelled Russian PCC88. I was surprised that the BB seems to have a bit more bass, or maybe the PCC88 is just tighter?...close though. It is quite open, has a sweet, lively midrange, and an upper midrange-up emphasis. This emphasis seems in relative balance, hearing it more by comparison rather than noting it as and imbalance in the tube's sound. This contributes to its open sound, but can be a little bit peaky there, like with some horns, at least in this room and with my system setup today&*()_+. At the same time, the mid-mids have a really pleasant character, sweet and mellow, being a little receded...but again no sense of the balance being off except by comparison. I like the tube here.

The PCC88 seems similar in the upper mids, but being a little more open, particularly below, it has a bit more clear character, more balanced, with less of that upper range peakiness...probably because it is more linear, the openness everywhere. This makes the textures and ambient information a bit more complete.

That said, the BB is a nice sounding tube in the input to me. It seems quite like a PCC88 with similar traits so you might enjoy the the 7DJ8.

Hope this helps.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #49 - 03/04/15 at 23:31:01

Will, your post has me wanting to try my Bugle Boy 6DJ8 in the input of my CSP3 tonight.  Currently I have a pair that I use as inputs when using my Omega Alinco Super 7XRS speakers with my Monos...might have to pick up another if I like one in the CSP3.  In the Monos they tone down the high end that's very extended on the Omegas.  If they have the same effect on my main system, that'd be a plus right now.  Maybe I'll try them in place of the Amperex 7308's in the Torii to see what happens.  Mark.

PS...first I have to put the 15 ohm resistors in the HR-1's but after a couple LPs, I'll pop in the Bugle Boy...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print