Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 17:17:28 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What box for my application?Housewrecker/Death box (Read 54173 times)
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Re: What box for my application?Housewrecker/Death box
Reply #50 - 01/14/10 at 23:03:48

I would be afraid to suggest a mic because it is a little out of my knowledge range. As for software this might be about the same as what you are already looking at.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/roomeq/

HT-EXT

" I TRY TO THINK BUT NUT'EN HAPPENS! " CURLY
  IP Logged
Basshead
Ex Member

Reply #51 - 01/24/10 at 17:55:55

I have the boxes complete with the ¾” MDF and I have been testing it out using mutable DVD’S and song to make sure I have the right sound that I want.  I have the subs downstairs in a remolded basement and since the floor is cement you don’t get the full feeling of the floor shaking but everything upstairs dose, you can feel the bass when in the room on your clothes.

For using a small box ported it sounds amazing, but I am still questioning myself if the box should be bigger. I have been thinking of adding 1 C.F would there be a difference that to the human ear could tell and would it be worth my time to add to the box?
That would give me 3.5 C.F @ around 28 Hz. It is now 2.65 C.F @ 32 Hz.

I am so used to working with car audio in a small area of volume with the pounding bass at your chest. I have placed the subs in opposite areas of the room just to get an idea and I know the placement in different locations can make a difference.

Basshead

IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #52 - 01/25/10 at 13:14:43

Basshead

Be sure to try firing the sub directly into a corner.  That can make a HUGE difference in some rooms.

Be sure you have music in this low frequency range (28hz - 32hz) before you invest time and money building a box to reproduce it better.  Lots of old time stories out there about bass resonator chambers being built under the floors in homes only to never have them fire because no recorded music had notes low enough.  I've always considered the lowest note in most rock to be around 40 hz, but I do have exceptions (although I can only think of one that goes below 32).

Dan

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #53 - 01/25/10 at 22:10:53

... aside from the SACDs of Pink Floyd and a few DVD concerts, this is true, more often than not.

The best lows I have heard are mostly recorded live during classical music performances and include heavy percussive crescendos made from enormous bass drums which barely fit into semi-trucks.

Rockers are more into protecting their massive investment in sound gear and most often they roll off the lowest low frequencies, just below the bone sensing frequencies in the 30Hz to 60hz octave. Usually, if they can make the back half of the house feel fifty Hz in their last meal, they are satisfied.

With gating, compression and delay enhancements so rampantly used in these productions, it works, in the heat of the moment and everyone leaves with their ears ringing.

IP Logged
Basshead
Ex Member

Reply #54 - 01/26/10 at 01:33:13

Thank you Dan & Dirt,

I will take that into consideration since I don’t really want to put more time than I need into this build and cut to re add for C.F. I will put the boxes closer in the corners with low Hz playing.

I had the boxes about 2 feet from the corner I bet that will make a big change.

I could always try acoustic foam inside maybe to help. I will give an update with my progress when I try it out.

Basshead

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #55 - 01/26/10 at 13:59:34

I did not really help you much BH, but if I was living in an apartment with no neighbors and had limited space, I would go with a twelve inch Deathbox, because the one I have built is miles ahead of any "magic cube"  type "subwoofer"  I have ever seen.

If I had room to place one discretely and the money to power it properly, there are few enclosures that can top a plain old fifteen inch Housewrecker. The four I have built were all quite successful, (eight inch dual driver,  fifteen inch quad and eighteen inch quad, then an eighteen inch dual driver using crummy forty dollar drivers from Parts Express CloseOut listings- each one exceeded my expectations which were quite high from the start)

Do you have the room for a Housewrecker or are you limited on space?  This is the main question. Very few enclosures can approach TeH Performance of a Housewrecker, but they are big as hell!!

IP Logged
Basshead
Ex Member

Reply #56 - 01/26/10 at 19:53:30

My space is a little limited since I have a pool table in the room but my entertainment center is recessed in the wall so that gives me some room.

I have thought about building the HW with my subs but I know it would be very heavy so I didn’t really want to deal with that issue also when I plugged in the numbers with my program (Bass-box Pro) it was giving me 55 Hz rang which I was not looking for, but I thought about buying an 18” Soundsplinter to try out in the HW I think that would be a good choice of sub.

I also own 2-12” Soundstream SPLX quad coals subs that I think I am going to take out of my car and try out building two death boxes  that was going to be my next project when I am finished with the wedge.

Basshead

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #57 - 01/27/10 at 15:12:20

I agree. The HWK is a beast in pretty much all forms but as DD said "BIG AS HELL". A definite drawback when space is limited. Are two enclosures better than one when it comes to tuning? I think so but others might not. Pretty much all set ups will have a drawback, it's just finding out what you can live with and still be happy.

I am getting ready to move out the WO410 and put my HWK15 back in circulation. I gotta know what the difference might be between these two titans. Besides the WO410 is due for an overhaul. Where is Chip Foose when you need him?

HT-EXT

IP Logged
Basshead
Ex Member

Reply #58 - 02/01/10 at 23:09:24

I have added some Pics with the oak wood.

The next step is to will be to stain and paint the inside of the box.

I will also be making a grill to cover the port and the sub opening,

Enjoy!!

http://s765.photobucket.com/albums/xx294/bass-head/?action=view&current=P2010261...

Basshead

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #59 - 02/04/10 at 11:45:41

VERY NICE !!! Can't wait to see the final results. As for my build, it is kinda of stalled. I am thinking of stepping up to a better subwoofer, instead of using the Series II woofers. Don't get me wrong they work great but I think a sub with a little more X-max(+18mm) would perform better in the Half-Wedge set up.

Again, that is a great build you have going on and keep the pics coming.

HT-EXT  

IP Logged
Basshead
Ex Member

Reply #60 - 02/04/10 at 15:29:01

Thank you!! Smiley It’s taking a lot longer than I expected I try to work on it every day but sometimes I don’t get the chance.

Working with the red oak is a slight complicated when cutting this wood it tends to chip so if you ever work with the oak be very careful, it was working out until I started on the top of the box there are some chips so I hope I can fill it in with wood buddy.

Well I hope it all works out with you that’s too bad that sub you have won’t perform the way you want. Are there any subs you have in mind? Have you thought about using a car audio Vs home theater woofer?

I almost forgot to mention, I picked up an SPL meter.

It’s all used but I got a good deal on it. I am using the tureRTA program with level 3, M-Audio USB-Pre, and Behringer ECM800 Mic.

I have not had the chance to try it out on the subs seeing as I don’t want to keep taking the subs in/out of the box. The subs are a pain to move around I will just wait till have the boxes complete.

Basshead

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #61 - 02/04/10 at 16:41:42

The Series II does excellent job but if I am going to have the best performance possible I need a subwoofer, not a woofer. I am looking at the RE Audio and the Fi subs. The problem is budget, with the limit around $300, it is hard to find two 15"s with high excursion and not haft to pay an arm or a leg. There are alot of choices and I have no problem using a car audio sub for HT.

Glad to hear you found some good test equipment. I think you will like RTA program and it should be more accurate than the old SPL meter or PAA2 for that matter. Good Luck.

HT-EXT

IP Logged
Basshead
Ex Member

Reply #62 - 02/04/10 at 18:21:29

I have updated the Pics of my project. I still need to make the box smooth than install the subwoofer test and I will than meter the SPL .

Let me know what you think?

http://s765.photobucket.com/albums/xx294/bass-head/?action=view&current=P2110329...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BEraAzY6K0

Basshead

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #63 - 02/25/10 at 19:19:39

IMPRESSIVE !!!    

VERY IMPRESSIVE !!!

I could not have picture that build turning out any better. You have good skills when it comes to wood working, maybe the HWK will be the next project?

HT-EXT

IP Logged
Basshead
Ex Member

Reply #64 - 02/25/10 at 20:05:37

THANK YOU MUCHLY!, If I had the room for the HW I would love to maybe down the road.

Do you think 115 DB for that subwoofer is average or about right? Using my program it was right on the money 500 to 1000 Watts= 115 DB now I know I could of tuned the box to a higher Hz I could of accomplished 120 DB but this build was for home theater so I wanted low bass not SPL I am happy with the outcome.  I used my oscilloscope to adjust the amp so it don’t clip, but I can turn the amp up 90% I can’t clip the amp these subwoofers can take some power. WOW!
I would think for using the AXIS it would be more performance but then again I am so use to building in a vehicle were everything is compressed and your space is limited the SPL would probably be higher in a car.  

There are a couple of projects I am thinking of working on. One is on parts-express they have a Tang band W8 for a great deal my idea is to build on a budget for the average person can afford. I want to combined the wedge idea and a cylinder tube I am kicking it around figuring the best possible way to design it at low cost also to be impressive as well.

I would also like to build my HI FI tower speakers as well to match my subwoofer boxes. Here is what I am thinking about building.

http://www.geocities.com/cc00541/Statements.html

The Statement look all around excellent in performance but it is expensive $800 for parts without box materials. I have seen many others but I can’t stop thinking about these ones.

Here are a few others I have found unless you would suggest any other HI FI towers to build?

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=28655

So now I will half to wait for the projects due to my computer is going to crap and I will soon need to buy a new one.

Basshead

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #65 - 03/10/10 at 18:50:29

Once you have built your own subs you will want everything else built by your own hands. I thought I would be happy with store bought tower speakers but soon work out plains for my mini-towers. It is a sickness that is hard to kick. The urge to build.

HT-EXT

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print