Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/23/24 at 14:28:48 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Acquired a pair of Klipsch La Scalas (Read 6327 times)
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Acquired a pair of Klipsch La Scalas
11/24/09 at 02:13:41

Has anyone else used these olden "vintage" - ish   speakers on twin Zens?

I have two SE84C amps, set for mono operation.

My own creation of open-back, foundational "dual fifteen, modded JBL + Visaton B200 or Fostex (several) and/or Heil - front and/or rear facing supertweets,"  all first order crossovers, when needed - has kept me busy LISTENING with my gear for ages.

I actually LIKE the midrange efficiency, clarity, and definition I get from these ancient Klipsch - designed speakers, but what has gone missing is the open-back "air"  and incredible detail and "vastness" in the upper and lower ranges I have been used to experiencing with my own "mocked-up" speakers.

Yes, these things make MORE bass than my OB creations, but when I try to tone some of that down, I get so much less energy and openess in the rest of the spectrum, that I am becoming disappointed. I don't listen loudly with this system, so I may be missing the benefits of these speakers.

I am hoping that someone may have tried this exact combo - twin Zens and Klipsch, La Scalas - and can recommend some tubes to try.

As I said, the mids are incredible, very efficient (!), but the bass has a pinched feel and the highs seem to roll off some, a bit too quickly to my old worn out "Rock and Roll beaten" ears.

Any comment would be welcome.

IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Re: Acquired a pair of Klipsch La Scalas
Reply #1 - 11/24/09 at 11:52:07

Hey Dawg,

There are now two of us out here with La Scalla's powered by mono SET's.  Well, there were as I sold the SE84's and upgraded to the new Torii.  I found that the SE84's worked just fine with the Klipsch speakers.

A few years ago a friend gave me a set of commercial La Scalla's from our local university.  They were very well worn to say the least.  Mr. Deckert gave me some good ideas on how to make them better.

The bass cabinets were completely wrapped with 3/4" baltic birch plywood with the corners/edges filled with solid walnut.  Now the cabinets are a full inch and a half thick.  Steve felt that the upper cabinet resonated too much so I do not use it.  I installed all new stock Klipsch drivers and am using  ALK crossovers.

The front of the base is raised an inch and a half with a walnut piece and brass points are used to scratch my hardwood floors.

I would have to describe the sound of these as "very large" speakers.  I use them mainly for the home theater setup as they add something to that experience.

For two channel music I am presently in the open baffle camp.  Hawthorne Duets powered by the Torii.

dennis  

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 11/24/09 at 13:45:23

Hi, Dennis,

Thanks for your insight. I had noticed a small bit of anomalous response peaking when listening to acoustic bass recordings that I am quite familiar with and I had suspected some internal cabinet resonances to be the source. Steve's suggestion to re-enforce the outer structure would probably help some, but I think of the "mouth area" (or say the final expansion)  of a horn to be subjected to a lesser amount of pressure than the throat under most conditions.

To me it seems that the problem with cabinet structural irregularities is more likely to be internal than a weakness in the "final expansion" would be, but I'm not sure. I also understand that the drivers themselves are to be suspected on a thirty year old set of speakers.

I also notice that they don't seem to go very low, which is also to be expected, but they do sound pretty nice with some drum tracks.

Hey, it's good to see that there are still some of us OB enthusiasts out there. Cool

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 12/02/09 at 00:20:25

Honestly, I gave them a try and I went back to my OBs, but then I A-B'ed them several times during the exchange.

I think these old speakers are more at home in the pro-audio world, to be honest.  There is NO low bass, there is NO upper end openness, but they are very efficient in the midrange, where most of the music is, anyway.

I plan to keep them around for a bit and torture them some with my sand amps, for the gits and shiggles of it, then I will likely donate the to the church for stage monitors.

I paid seventy bucks for the pair at an estate auction, so if they continue to not impress me, then they are gone.

I think that it is interesting that only one other has tried this combo.

My OBs are in place and singing the old jazz as we "speak."

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/22/10 at 00:35:22

I gave them to church's band this morning.

No regrets.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print