Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 13:19:00 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
First Impressions of TORII MK II (Read 6951 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

First Impressions of TORII MK II
11/20/09 at 05:05:06

Quote:
Steve,
I believe you about continued sonic improvement as I get more hours on the Torii.  The amp is sounding very fine. The transparency of it is noticable and is helping me to optimize my setup.

My primary source is laptop through squeezebox through AN kit DAC with transformer output directly to the Torii. I have a Onkyo pre-pro that I run through when I play movies but for music I find the AN DAC straight to the Torii yields the most detail and satisfation to my ears. I have stopped using my subwoofer except with the Onkyo on movies.

I am currently building a full range driver in MLTL cabinet design using Jordan JX92S drivers. I'm currently listening to prototypes built from plywood. They sound very nice. My brother and myself are each building a set out of african mahogany now. This is a fun project. The pairing of these speakers with the Torri has been a revelation. The more I listen to them the more I impressed I become. The imaging capability of the combination is something quite beyond what I have experienced before. When I play movies through the stereo, with the Sonatina's I sometimes feel that the sound image seems slighly vague compared to the screen image and I think "when I get more surround speakers the sound image will be more accurate to the screen". But with the Jordan/Torii combo I feel like the sound image follows exactly with the screen image/action and there is no need for additional surround speakers. When listening to music the sound stage also feels more three dimensional. I may never manage to move beyond two channel listening at this rate.

Well, anyway I just wanted to tell you how much I am enjoying the amp. I had hoped to attend the decfest to hear the MkIII but maybe another time.

Chris

Thanks for the feedback Chris.  Keep us posted as things progress!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: First Impressions of TORII MK II
Reply #1 - 12/09/09 at 17:52:02

Positive first impressions of the Torii Mark II seem to just lead to a very positive bond with this amplifier.

I can only imagine how the Mark III sounds. . . with difficulty.  It's hard to really imagine improvements.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #2 - 12/10/09 at 01:29:53

Lon,

I just wished I had heard the amp with the CCE mod in place, in my room. I did hear the MK-III at Decfest, and it was impressive, but I can't say you are missing much, of course it all goes back to familiar surroundings like your own listening space, speakers, and source,  to really tell if there is that much of a difference, maybe  I just didn't hear it.

I know it would take a bear to pull my Torii-I out of my bloody hands, since the CCE mod was implemented. I truly have a one of a kind amp, that has not been bested by anything at any price point.

ZYGI

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 12/10/09 at 02:55:39

Bob, that's how I feel about "our" Mark II, it's an amazing machine.

I'm sure that the III is awesome, but this II is so seasoned and "settled in". . . I'm really enjoying it.  But I'd recommend the III without qualm, never having heard it, it's got to be great.

I think we now need a forum for the Mark III!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
chris_m
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 12/13/09 at 01:06:54

I like the phrase you use about a bond with the amplifier.  That's what it's like right now.  Pretty much each time I sit down an listen to the system now I have some new joyful experience with music and think "damn that's good".  It's so regular that I just haven't been experimenting with anything lately.

Of course I kind of wish I could hear the Mk III but as long as I keep having these experiences I'm feeling like I'm not ready to appreciate it yet.

Chris

Torii MkII, AN DAC, home built MLTL with Jordan JX92S
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print