Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/18/24 at 20:27:09 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I want to use an external power supply... What mA? (Read 8522 times)
Dean
Ex Member

I want to use an external power supply... What mA?
11/14/09 at 19:10:18

Hello all,

I got my zenHead assembled last night and this morning and it sure sounds great.

I was thinking... can I take a 9VDC 600mA transformer that I don't need for anything right now... and convert it to run my zenHead?   As in just cut off the old jack, and connect one that will plug into the battery plug on the ZenHead?

I don't want to hurt my ZenHead.  :)

Thanks,
Dean

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: I want to use an external power supply... What mA?
Reply #1 - 11/15/09 at 00:52:11

Hi Dean,

Welcome to the forums!

No problem running your ZenHead that way.  You can also run it with 12VDC.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Dean
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 11/15/09 at 01:12:37

GReat.. thanks Steve.  :)

IP Logged
Dean
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/25/09 at 23:54:35

Hello Steve, the 9 volt works fine and just sounds soooooooo nice... Is there an advantage to using a 12V instead?  

For those thinking of doing this.... Smiley  it works great. Just make sure you get the polarity right.  You have to figure out which is the positive coming out of the transformer.  I used my multi-meter to make sure the flow was positive and not negative...  I suppose this is obvious to most folks, but it took me a couple of times to figure it out.

Thanks,
Dean

PS  .... the zenHead sounds soooooooo really nice... and I use it for my headphones, AKG 271, and as the preamp for my Zkit1.  What a great addition.  Now my Zkit1 gets loud enough for me... soooooo very nice.

IP Logged
Lyndon
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 12/12/09 at 16:17:50

Dean, did you measure the voltage provided by your transformer?  I tested two surplus 9V transformers I have here, one ~200mA and one ~500mA, and they both measured over 14V.  I assume the voltage drops to 9V once a load is applied?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print