Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Buying used SE84C ?
11/04/09 at 15:36:43

Quote:
Hello,

I'm in the process of building a line array speaker.  I would like to drive my ribbon tweeters with tubes.  I came accrose this ad http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatube&1262300463&/Decware-Zen-SE84C-SE... and received this messgae back from the seller:

serial 374
second owner, and sent it in because I bought it used and wanted to make sure it was in proper working condition. Selling because I sold my Altec A7s and have less efficient speakers now (traditional, 87db).

Can you indeed confirm that it was sent back recently?  Most importantly, do you think it will serve my purpose well?  I have been looking at MUCH more expensive amps but really don't want to waste money if not needed.  These arrays are expensive..

BTW-would I be better off with a newer model?  Can this one be upgraded (sonically) to a new one if you think the newer model is "better".

Thanks,
Jason

Hi Jason,

Yes, I can confirm it.  And if you purchased it and had problems with it, we can always fix or upgrade it.

Regarding upgrades,  the only thing that can be done to this amp is to change the coupling caps to something a bit more exotic.  It currently uses polyester film caps which give it smoothness across a wider range of recordings.

As far as new ones go, yes the new ones are a little bit better as we've doubled the mass of the chassis, improved the paint job, added a second set of inputs to it, and improved the quality of the volume pot as well as moving it to the front where you can easily access it.  The new units also come standard with a world voltage power transformer and better binding posts which makes the amp easier to sell.

- Steve Deckert

Decware / High Fidelity Engineering Co.
75 S. Riverview Dr.  East Peoria IL 61611
Blog: www.decware.com/audio-blogs/
Phone: (309) 822 5255

WWW   IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: Buying used SE84C ?
Reply #1 - 11/05/09 at 12:23:44

He bought a Zen for TEN (DOLLARS!!!)

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 11/08/09 at 23:43:15

Buying a Zen for Ten is like buying a Taboo for $22.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #3 - 11/09/09 at 00:14:26

I always hear of those deals after the fact!
What a great buy!
Don

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
veryoldcat
Seasoned Member

dam*ed if you do,
and dam*ed if you
don't

Reply #4 - 11/09/09 at 07:40:37

Also,

The "Hazen Mod" (cce mod) would put it in the treetops!

Cool

Karl

SE84CS (vcapped), CSP, zbox, Dec685, ZP 1.0, Sota tt/Well-Tempered Arm/V15XMR, Parker 98's, Parker Audio *Power Chords*, cat 6 wires, OSX; a garage sale of other stuff...
  IP Logged
Morganc

Reply #5 - 07/09/12 at 06:00:24

I recently purchased a Zen SE84C and I want to upgrade the caps.   Can anyone point me in the direction of the size and number of caps needed to do the job?  

Thanks in advance,
Morgan

IP Logged
nico

Reply #6 - 07/22/12 at 10:24:34

As nobody replied to this question;
I regret not to have installed the V-caps cuTF in my SE84C earlier..... they defenately put the amp in a higher class. Forget about the "extended braking-in time" since the Vcaps sounded more natural right out of the box. Performance will only get better after time.
Value is the same as the tricons; 0,1Uf [100Nf].
Nico
http://www.v-cap.com/copper-teflon-capacitors.php

IP Logged
sberger
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 07/22/12 at 15:20:28

That's a great read. Thanks. Had Vcaps installed in my Torii 3 and should have it back in the system in a few days. Looking forward to hearing the difference as stock it sounded great.

IP Logged
Morganc

Reply #8 - 07/23/12 at 03:53:30

My amp says it was manufactured in 2005, serial number 608,  though when I opened the amp it has a date on a little block of wood of 2007 signed S.D. And I assume that is Steve Correct?  On the outside of the amp it says SE 84C EX (the EX is in a different color and I am assuming that Steve added it in 2007.).

I was going inside to see how many and what size caps I would need and there are many caps inside.  Two pairs that say 0.33 and a few others in a larger size.

The question I have is:
1. Should I just send this amp to Steve for the V Cap upgrade and the Hazen Grid Mod all together?  
2.  What does the EX lettering mean?  
3.  How close sonically is this unit to current production?  
4.  Any idea on cost for this level of upgrade with the Mod and the V Caps?

Thanks Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print