Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 17:57:50 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Wedge18s are up and running !!! (Read 18036 times)
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Wedge18s are up and running !!!
11/03/09 at 23:23:49

Done and booming. I am very happy with the results and can't help but plan another build with 15" Series IIs. Will it never stop !!!

http://s541.photobucket.com/albums/gg367/HT-EXT/HT-EXT%203/

HT-EXT

" I TRY TO THINK BUT NUT'EN HAPPENS! " CURLY
  IP Logged
riley2557
Ex Member

Re: Wedge18s are up and running !!!
Reply #1 - 01/12/10 at 17:00:32

Ok I want to build this for my Garage /shop sub. Could you clarify dimensions a bit? 18.75x24x25? This pics don't look like you slanted the baffle and obviously put a lid on it. Looks great and will rock the neighbors. Thanks for the help. Dayton 18" series II driver? power?
Cheers
Bill

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #2 - 01/12/10 at 18:37:29

I will haft to check dims tonight and let you know ASAP. The sub baffle is 1" at the rear and 4" at the front. The Dayton Classic 18"(part #  295-475) is a great sub for the dollar and can put out respectable numbers(SPL and Hz). I use a 250w plate amp w/bass boost (4db @ 30Hz-35Hz). The sub normal sees about 100w to 150w during big HT action scenes. From 14' away I am recording 101db to 105db at 31Hz. You will not hear any complaints from me about this design.

There is one design flaw in my construction. On my current build (half wedge using the Series II 15") the bottom piece (I added) has tendency to vibrate if the enclosure is used with the sub point up. I was able to shake a quarter clean off the the enclosure under heavy booming. I have since added a brace to the middle of the opening to help keep vibrations to a minimal. I will try to post pics soon.

HT-EXT

IP Logged
riley2557
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/12/10 at 19:04:29

from your earlier post from the db212 forum, I'm leanin toward the HWK with 2 dayton st385-8 15" series II subs. what would the best allingment be, and how to wire the two drivers? also what about dampening. They just dont make quarters like the old days!!

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #4 - 01/12/10 at 19:18:44

The best allignment for me was putting the magnets in the center chamber. This allows the woofers to fire directly into the ported chambers. As for the HWK15, you will easily be able to bother the neighbors. I have tendency to use polly-fill on all my builds, just don't get carried away stuffing the enclosure as full as you can get it. If yu need more info let me know. Always glad to try and help.

HT-EXT

Check this post out:https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1180736399

Not my perference for sub allignment but an excellent build.

IP Logged
riley2557
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 01/12/10 at 19:37:04

dayton series II 15" drivers ok? Power?

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #6 - 01/12/10 at 19:49:51

Yes. The Series IIs are an excellent choice and is what I am still using today. Any amp will work for the most part but plate amps have all the right connections and adjustments to ensure proper operation(crossover, phase, gain, etc). You can get away with using the Dayton 240w but the BASH 500w or Dayton 500w would be more to my taste. Your options are fairly open and I have heard of people using regular stereo amps to run the HWK. If you go this route you will need to use some type of crossover for the subs in the HWK.

HT-EXT

IP Logged
riley2557
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 01/12/10 at 20:02:27

I just bought a dayton SA 1000 for the DB12, love it, so I think I will order one of those with the two new drivers. Thank you very much for all the help, i will try and post some pics during the build

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #8 - 01/12/10 at 23:53:24

I was just trying to stay on a budget but with that kind of power and a HWK15 you had better buy some milk & donuts. Cause I got a feeling the law will be visiting as soon as it is up and running. I use to be on a first name "BASSES" with the law also. I love the HWK !!!

HT-EXT

IP Logged
riley2557
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 01/14/10 at 02:15:52

Krispie creme on speed dial!! Ordering drivers and power tomorrow. One more issue is the wiring of the two drivers to the amp?  Cant thank you enough for all the info, again I will take some pictures of the build. what a great find Decware has been for me, many thanks Steve as well
Cheers to all
Bill

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #10 - 01/14/10 at 11:56:24

The wiring is no problem. You will wire the subs(Series IIs) in parallel. This means + to + and - to -. The issue is which way you decide to fire the subs. If you install the subs with both the cones pointed in the direction(aka, "THE ULTIMATE") + to + and - to - will work. If you point the cones in opposite direction or at one another, you will haft to switch the phase on one of the subs. If that confuse you let me know. I just about to confuse myself.

Maybe this will help.
http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=35

Check out the different sub allignments.
https://www.decware.com/newsite/hwk15.htm

HT-EXT

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print