Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 16:45:23 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hazen Mod (aka CCE mod) VS Mullards EL84 (Read 17451 times)
lightmaster

life is too short
for bad hifi.
Really!

Hazen Mod (aka CCE mod) VS Mullards EL84
10/26/09 at 17:11:50

I will start by saying that  I will certainly implement the Hazen Mod, and get my own opinion about it eventually

before I get time to do that though I´d like an opinion from the ones who already did mod their amps regarding something specific

as many other Decware amps owners I have become totally addicted to the "tone" and "harmonic richness" of the OLD Mullards EL84, as a matter of fact trough the years I have collected about 20 of them (enough to last few years to come Cool )

now has anybody who knows and loves Mullards EL84 as I do tried the CCE/ Hazen mod and can tell me a little about the "tone" and other differences between the two tubes EL84 Mullards and SV83 family (after CCE mod) ?

francesco

“Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.” Albert E.
WWW lightmaster   IP Logged
Brett

Re: Hazen Mod (aka CCE mod) VS Mullards EL84
Reply #1 - 10/26/09 at 19:23:12

I've had some time with Mullard el-84s in my Select. For a while I was crazy about them and bought several on ebay. They do have a nice tone and before the Hazen mod, more weight when compared to the sv83s. Before long though I missed the highs and detail of the sv83 in the Select. And in my system the Mullard throws off the sound stage and looses it's holographic image.

I ran 6N14N-EBs (russian el-84) for a while and like the sound of those very much. Has the same weight of the Mullard, and a little loss in the highs which is sometimes needed. They're very similar in character to the 6N15N-EB (military sv83) with a slight loss in transparency. In the end I still prefer the sv83.

After the Hazen mod, sv83s have more weight and tone with out loosing extension and transparency. Highs are smoother while gaining detail. It has that hypnotizing liquidity of the Mullard without the muddle. The difference is not subtle and just has to be heard to be believed.

el-84s have their suppressor grid hard wired to the cathode internally, which effectively bypasses the hazen mod therefore it has no effect on them. This is unfortunate as we'll never know how a NOS Mullard would sound with the mod.

IP Logged
lightmaster

life is too short
for bad hifi.
Really!

Reply #2 - 10/26/09 at 20:57:38

THXS Brett
that closes it for me. very informative and really detailed to the point. I have had 8 6N15N-EB here at home for years and never used them, I guess they will have their time soon ...

thxs for the reply

Jason

Reply #3 - 11/10/09 at 03:05:55

I put the CCE mode on my Torii MK II and the improvement was incredable.   So....  I put the mod in a El84 based amp I own, with some 6n15n-EB and the results are absolutely unbelievable.   If word of this ever gets out, I think the price of good 6n15n-eb/ev's is going to go WAY up and the NOS EL84's are going to go by the wayside.
Glad I've already stocked up.     Grin

Jason

IP Logged
veryoldcat
Seasoned Member

dam*ed if you do,
and dam*ed if you
don't

Reply #4 - 11/10/09 at 08:03:17

I agree with Jason, Lightmaster,

If anyone mainstream ever really hears how SV83's can sound with this simple mod, then it's all over for the EL84...

My Select took on a sense of substance that is almost impossible to believe (after the Hazen mod).

Now, due to similar results with the EL34's (in my old Stereo 70) I'm wondering if ANY pentode mightn't benefit to the same degree, if the cathode and control grid are not hard wired inside the tube.

Now, I wonder if the EF86 drivers in my ST70 might not benefit in a similar way with this tweak...

Cheers,
Karl

Cheers,
Karl

SE84CS (vcapped), CSP, zbox, Dec685, ZP 1.0, Sota tt/Well-Tempered Arm/V15XMR, Parker 98's, Parker Audio *Power Chords*, cat 6 wires, OSX; a garage sale of other stuff...
  IP Logged
76doublebass
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 11/20/09 at 03:01:40

I've been dragging my feet and still have not had the CCE MOD done on my 84 amp. I have been using the Sovtek EL 84's,But from these posts it looks like I better rush out and order some SV 83's from Steve and get with it.
Don C.
Cheesy

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #6 - 11/20/09 at 05:48:59

Indeed you should, and before Christmas otherwise it isn't really the Christmas comes early mod is it?

Cheers,

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
veryoldcat
Seasoned Member

dam*ed if you do,
and dam*ed if you
don't

Reply #7 - 11/23/09 at 07:05:39

Now I'm wondering how a little PP amp would sound like using "CCE" modded SV83's (in comparison to ever popular low-powered PP EL84 amps).

SV83's sound so BIG with this "little" mod....

Karl

SE84CS (vcapped), CSP, zbox, Dec685, ZP 1.0, Sota tt/Well-Tempered Arm/V15XMR, Parker 98's, Parker Audio *Power Chords*, cat 6 wires, OSX; a garage sale of other stuff...
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 11/23/09 at 13:18:06

Well I can tell you that the push-pull Decware amp using EL34s (aka Torii amp) sounds fantastic, and big, with the mod.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
lightmaster

life is too short
for bad hifi.
Really!

Reply #9 - 11/26/09 at 19:46:59

I would not worry too much about the "big names" jumping on this too fast. The genuine advantages of implementing the mod are by far outbalanced by the danger of having to explain why what they have been advertising as a "the best amp in the world" is now to be changed including the big dollars spent on tubes and such. There is no need to say in this forum that the renewed interest in tubes and vinyl are recently also part of a big hype. 98% of the amps produced around can be easily outclassed by the remaining 2%, and 90% of them outclassed by a basic well built D amp. My guess is that these market forces and companies market agendas will totally disregard the mod "unless" one of the usual names will post a review of this one magic "amp" and the flock will follow as it usually does. For now we are in the clear, when you see such review rush to buy as many SV83s as you can  ;D

Jason

Reply #10 - 11/27/09 at 01:13:31

Well, I'm glad I live in the 2%.  I guess this is why they call it the hi-fi underground.
You know, I can't help but rub it in often with the step son how good my 2 watts sounds compared to his Ipod, and that it still will when I'm old and grey.   And he thinks he want's an Ipod touch!   I'm glad I never really got upgraditis that bad.   Do you know how many russian tubes you can buy for that price of one of those things??

Jason      

IP Logged
zeke
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 03/12/17 at 21:25:52

Highly recommend the mod.......big change....very nice.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print