Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 23:39:21 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The Mini Torii SE at the mini HornFest (Read 5628 times)
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

The Mini Torii SE at the mini HornFest
09/22/09 at 04:22:26

Steve was kind enough to ship a Mini Torii SE to Ed Schilling's home for the mini fest that took place this past weekend.

There were some serious - and I mean SERIOUS - amplifiers at the fest ..... including one that retails for $30,000.00 + and it was encouraging to note that the Mini Torii SE gave a very good account of itself .....  

It did a fine job of powering The Horns and is a very safe option for anyone who is looking for a great amp to pair with Ed's speakers.

One interesting item of note.  If you get a chance to hear this amplifier, don't even think of forming an opinion of its potential until it has been playing music for at least 30 minutes.

We had it hooked up and everyone in the room was thinking that it sounded "pretty good".  I left the room to get an adult beverage and when I returned I plopped down in the same seat where I had been sitting.  After one sip, I looked around the room and asked if someone had changed something while I was gone ..... because the sound was several orders of magnitude better than it was before I left.

Several of the other listeners piped in and said that they were thinking exactly the same thing .....  

I'm pretty much used to an amplifier needing some time to "warm up", but this went way beyond that ..... amazing.

Chalk up another winner in the Decware amplifier stable .....  

Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Re: The Mini Torii SE at the mini HornFest
Reply #1 - 09/22/09 at 04:43:53

Thanks for that, Randy. I've not heard that amp, but have wondered if having "mini" included in it's designation isn't somehow handicapping it's true status?
-Hope you are well,
Don

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #2 - 09/22/09 at 17:52:47

The effect you experienced is due to the tube regulation which takes 20 minutes to completely stabilize.  Once it has stabilized and locked in, well, look out.  ;)

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 09/24/09 at 02:51:00

The Mini Torii is small only in size. The sound is big and the amp has plenty of muscle, as you all heard at the horn fest. I am waiting for the return of mine after a minor repair.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
juanitox
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/01/09 at 16:42:43

Quote:
I'm rather excited about is the final version of our original Zen Triode amplifier, the SE84C, in a further improved chassis done in a white powder coat finish and updated with better binding posts and better volume control!

hi steve , is my upcoming MinitoriSEX will have this new volume control?  carbon , plastic or res one? Cool

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print