Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My first WO build (Read 10657 times)
Slisgrinder
Ex Member

My first WO build
09/07/09 at 05:35:59

Hey guys,

This is my first WO build and my first speaker build. Now I know that this design is for experienced builders but I need a subwoofer real bad with good SPL ever since I went and saw Star Trek in the theaters. So please bare with me, I just wanted to make sure the looks of the subwoofer before actually make it so I made a 3D model in Google Sketchup.
Please download Sketchup (free) to view the model and let me know if I am missing anything else...
http://sketchup.google.com/download/
Please select the free version on the bottom right...

IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Re: My first WO build
Reply #1 - 09/08/09 at 16:29:09

Slisgrinder

Your model looks good to me.  The only thing I noticed missing was the electrical connections for the speakers.  However you do that, I would suggest coming out separately for each speaker and then you have options (as well as the ability to reverse the phase of one speaker when you find you hooked them up wrong).  Don't be too worried about the build, this is a good choice for a first build.  What speakers are you going to use?  Good rule of thumb for horn loaded speakers is that you want the Fs divided by the Qes to be high.  If your speakers Fs/Qes are less than about 120 you might want to re-think the driver choice.

Thanks for the tip on sketchup.  It looks like that might come in handy for a number of things.

Dan

IP Logged
Slisgrinder
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/08/09 at 19:26:54

Thanks,

I am curious, I currently have a logitech z5500 and the subwoofer driver is pretty decent so I was thinking of cutting the WO in half but after looking at other threads about this topic, they all came to a conclusion of possible but with an unknown area for the horn.

I was wondering if you know what area was for the horn or is it simply the same area of the WO split in half...

I have attached another file with the extra models of the WOs split in half...

IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #3 - 09/09/09 at 14:11:27

Your horn mouth still needs to be full size (20") not half size (10").
This will mean that the box is not square or rectangular anymore.

Dan

IP Logged
Slisgrinder
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/09/09 at 18:13:21

So, something like this: the file is attached...

IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #5 - 09/09/09 at 23:10:20

Thats what I was thinking, but after you sketched it up it doesn't look right.  You want the horn's cross sectional area to be the smallest at the opening  in the back and then get progressively and evenly bigger as it goes to the mouth.  Even as it goes around the corner (folded horn) it should be getting progressively and evenly bigger as you move toward the mouth.  In your drawing it looks like there are 2 small horns connected by a constant cross sectional area piece thats maybe 18" long.  You might be better off trying to find a design for one driver, although I have heard (in the case of the Imperial) that if you build two half size Imperials and just place then next to each other they sound like a full size Imperial...maybe the same is true with the WO???????

Dan

IP Logged
Slisgrinder
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 09/09/09 at 23:39:25

do you know of any folded horn design that uses a single 10" driver? I want to use that 10" driver from my logitech...

IP Logged
Slisgrinder
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 09/11/09 at 03:56:09

I am going to attempt my hand at designing my own tapped horn, maybe that can work cause essentially it is a quarter-wavelength folded horn with the rear of the driver at the entrance of the mouth of the horn. Although I could use some literature if anyone has a link to it about how horns work and how to design them. I do know however that the circumference of the horn needs to be a quarter wavelength of the low cutoff frequency (for example 20 Hz, the quarter wavelength is 14') yet the tapped horns I have seen have a smaller mouth that that.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print