Send Topic Print
Please Help Now! (Read 6419 times)
KellyB

If you can't enjoy
the sound, it's just
noise!!!

Please Help Now!
09/03/09 at 11:19:30

I'm sending my Selects off today to get the CCE mod done on each SE84CS!!! I originally planned to have the amps:
 1. CCE - modded ($200)
 2. V-Capped ($400)
 3. New Tube Sets ($154)
 4. Zen Styx ($250)
 5. Z-Box ($400)

But now can only afford(Daughter getting married)500-600 bucks at this time!!! Please help with advice on which one or combo(#2.,3.,4., or 5.) would be the best-sounding value when combined with the CCE mod to make $604.00 max. For instance, the V-Cap mod($400), the Tube sets($154) & Zen Styx($250 + $154 = $404), or the Z-Box($400). I thank you all for any suggestions!!!

Kelly

Decware SE84CS X 2 (CCE-mod); Decware RL-3s; Decware Interconnect cables; ZenStyx speaker cables; Stax CA-Z Preamp; Stax SR-X Mk III Earspeakers; Pro-ject 2.9 Wood TT; Soundsmith SMMC2 Cart.; JBL Sig. Series Loudspeakers(vintage, '70); etc.
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: Please Help Now!
Reply #1 - 09/03/09 at 15:54:47

Kelly,

1) CCE mod - we'll charge you 1/2 price on the second amp - $150

2) Zen Styx - $250

3) New tube sets - $154

In that order.

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 09/04/09 at 12:19:09

I agree with Steve, the Zen Styx will improve your entire system, and new tubes will refresh your sound.

I've never felt the need to "recap" any of the Decware amps. Steve voices them very very well.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
KellyB

If you can't enjoy
the sound, it's just
noise!!!

Reply #3 - 09/05/09 at 04:58:23

Thank you Gentlemen,

Steve: I thank you again for being very flexible when visiting your shop in June!!! You gave me many things to think about!!! I wish I could  attend the Decfest, but with my daughter's wedding & other planned commitments in Oct-Nov, I don't have the time or cash this time, sorry!!! After your suggestion to hook-up my computer instead of my old Yamaha CDP, I didn't want to send my amps just yet! I couldn't believe how good my Decware set-up sounds with a better source(or how bad my old source is!!!!), the RL3s are sweeeeeet!!! I've believed the "Linn" idea that your system is only as good as your source, but have ignored that fact, Duh!!!!!! Anyway, I went to the P.O. & they were locking the doors as I was walking up with my amps to mail them this afternoon, grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!! Will be in the mail tomorrow.

Lon: Thanks for all your encouragement & answers to the "Lurker Crowd"!!! I've been here since I bought one of the first SE84C's, then traded-up to #33 & #34 CS's, but mostly have just read the great posts all these years(10+?), rather than reply. I will try my hardest to let you how the mods & ZenStyx sound!!!!

Happy Tunes,
Kelly

Decware SE84CS X 2 (CCE-mod); Decware RL-3s; Decware Interconnect cables; ZenStyx speaker cables; Stax CA-Z Preamp; Stax SR-X Mk III Earspeakers; Pro-ject 2.9 Wood TT; Soundsmith SMMC2 Cart.; JBL Sig. Series Loudspeakers(vintage, '70); etc.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 09/05/09 at 14:17:13

Kelly,

I'm glad you posted.  Please do let us know the difference after those mods.

Note:  I found it took a while for the Zen Styx to bloom, from the start the treble was amazing, and the midrange open, but the bass seemed light. This however improved with time, boy did it!

RADIALS RULE! Smiley

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print