Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 14:14:24 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Questions regarding hdt construction (Read 11633 times)
Analog
Ex Member

Questions regarding hdt construction
09/01/09 at 21:46:08

Recently I ordered the pdf plans for the HDT. I noticed that the date on the drawings I received is from 2004. It also appears that there are some conflicting measurements as well as some missing data. Can someone who is familiar with a current HDT construction project provide me with some help on several questions?

I need to locate the measurements for finding center cutout posistion for the dfr-8 driver as well as the newer alternate tuning passive radiators

Are the cutout dimensions for the newer alternate passives the same as those in the  2004 pdf plan? (after the larger hole is cut, what rabbet size and depth do you use)?

Do the newer alternate tuning passives come already built or do they need to be
constructed like the previous design

ON the cutout list, the center divider measures 16 13/16. On another drawing showing a cross section of the same board the measurement is 16 7/8. Which is correct?

Finally, I am trying to locate some egg crate foam 1" thick, all I can seem to find measures 1 1/2".(Parts Express etc.) I did however find some 1" at McMaster-Carr under the sound control foam #9710T64. Will using one or the other be of any real sonic significance ?

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Re: Questions regarding hdt construction
Reply #1 - 09/02/09 at 05:25:52

Analog,

Welcome to the forum.....Here are some answers to your questions, if you have any more, you can either e-mail me at zygi-56(at)charter.net or call 828-729-7336

I need to locate the measurements for finding center cutout posistion for the dfr-8 driver as well as the newer alternate tuning passive radiators
The dimension  from the top of the cabinet to all three bores is 9"

Are the cutout dimensions for the newer alternate passives the same as those in the  2004 pdf plan? (after the larger hole is cut, what rabbet size and depth do you use)?
Don't you mean the smaller hole is cut, if so, Yes the cutouts are the same...1/4" rabbet, 1/4" deep

Do the newer alternate tuning passives come already built or do they need to be
constructed like the previous design

The alternate passive do come assembled, yes.

ON the cutout list, the center divider measures 16 13/16. On another drawing showing a cross section of the same board the measurement is 16 7/8. Which is correct?
The actual dimension from inside corner to inside corner is 16 31/32"  so either will work, I found that the 16 7/8" gave a bigger flat left at the edge, making it more accurate for repetitive cuts when I'm building more than one pair.

Finally, I am trying to locate some egg crate foam 1" thick, all I can seem to find measures 1 1/2".(Parts Express etc.) I did however find some 1" at McMaster-Carr under the sound control foam #9710T64. Will using one or the other be of any real sonic significance ?
Use the 1 1/2" foam from Parts Express, that's what I use. 3 pieces should work just fine.

As many questions that I have been asked, with each answer i would correct or make the drawing a bit easier to read, you were the first to notice the dimension being incorrect... good eye.

I hope this helps,
ZYGI

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #2 - 09/02/09 at 05:29:41

Analog,

One more thing I forgot about...the ports are of different lengths than what the drawing shows.

The 6" ports are now 11" and the 8" ports are now 17" this applies only if you are building the Alt. tune HDT's

ZYGI

IP Logged
mike_gagne
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/02/09 at 08:04:06

Bob, thanks, this confirms for me some of what i already found also. Perfect timing........

IP Logged
BOBNY
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/02/11 at 04:11:09

I have just downloaded the plans. What I have not found is what  type of passive radiators and where to buy them? They seem to be 8".

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #5 - 03/02/11 at 05:49:11

BOBNY,

You can buy them from Decware....they are hand made, so to speak, not available anywhere else.

ZYGI

IP Logged
BOBNY
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/15/11 at 23:12:37

If you want to make the MK II model of these speakers do you use the short ports or the long ports. I have been looking at other MK II builds and still can't figure it out. Also the middle baffle on the top on one build has a port hole drilled into it while the other build has no port hole drilled. Which is correct? Do you countersink the front speaker?. I am busy veneering the speakers cabinets that I purchased from PeterP. I will post pictures after I am finished. I built the passives as per instructions . Do the surrounds go in the cabinet concave or convex?
                                                    Bob

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #7 - 03/17/11 at 00:49:20

Bob,

You'll use the short tubes....8" side/passive holes and 6" in the center/driver hole.

I'm not sure I follow you on this. Is there a picture somewhere you are referring to?
Also the middle baffle on the top on one build has a port hole drilled into it while the other build has no port hole drilled

Which passive did you build, or are you referring to. You built the flat passive with one surround? if so the disc goes on the back flat and the roll of the surround will be convex when mounted.

I hope this helps,
ZYGI

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print