Send Topic Print
pot on 84C (Read 7394 times)
proud_indian
Seasoned Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

pot on 84C
08/01/09 at 02:36:17

I need to change the pot on my 84C, as I am having some problems with it. On the inside, there is very little space to fit one in, so what can be done. While I can put in the same original which comes with the amp by placing an order for a fresh one, can I upgrade this pot to an Alps or PEC or any other ? Can someone who knows about this please advice?

Thanks,

shreekant Smiley

BTW my problem is that when I switch on the amp and put in a CD, music plays even though the volume control is at 'zero'. After a while, when the amp warms up ( say 20 mts  or so) then there is no music at the zero level, and it behaves normal.

Oppo, hdd,84c, pm6a, cd200, foreplay lll, zbox, bottlehead sex amp, zob, various stuff that make up two systems
WWW   IP Logged
Brett

Re: pot on 84C
Reply #1 - 08/01/09 at 08:50:32

PEC and Alps can fit, but it takes some modification to accommodate the larger size. The easiest way is to punch or drill a hole in the front of the chassis as is done with the new SE84C+.

The cathode resistance selector switch as well as the cathode resistors themselves may cause clearance issues.

If you have reluctance to change the factory layout, then the only way is to modify the speaker output posts as shown.

After cutting the grey washer in half, I used loctite to secure the top nut to the thead of the post. I then ground the post and nut down to make room for the barrel of the pot. There's a notch to allow for soldering the lead wire from the tranny's secondary flush with the nut. Cover with a bit of electrical tape before installing the pot.

I went with the PEC and enjoy it, but has such good internal contacts it is too stiff to turn without a knob. I found one with only a 13mm diameter which works nicely. Has a great feel and sounds better.

-Brett

IP Logged
proud_indian
Seasoned Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 08/01/09 at 09:15:19

Thanks Brett. Seems a lot of hard work. Any idea of a pot that will fit direct? I am at a loss, cause I do not have the specs except that it is 100k. So even if I do go to a site, I do not really know what to buy. I am in Singapore, mid Aug, so if I do have a part no or spec it will help.

Thanks,

shreekant Smiley

Oppo, hdd,84c, pm6a, cd200, foreplay lll, zbox, bottlehead sex amp, zob, various stuff that make up two systems
WWW   IP Logged
Brett

Reply #3 - 08/01/09 at 21:28:59

For a direct replacement, I'd use the same pot that the Steve uses.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062359

Probley isn't a better sounding mini pot.

-Brett

IP Logged
proud_indian
Seasoned Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 08/09/09 at 14:24:18

Decided on the external box, attached to the amp, to accommodate the larger PEC pot ( KKA1041S28-ND from Digikey). The pot is presently on its way to India. Have to thank Eli for helping out.

shreekant Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
proud_indian
Seasoned Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 09/02/09 at 04:41:06

Received the pot and installed it in last night. Out  of the box, it sounds very good. A huge difference over the stock pot!!

shreekant Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print