Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/18/24 at 10:35:21 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
quick question about plans... (Read 4888 times)
DannyD
Verified Member

quick question about plans...
07/30/09 at 04:18:08

When Steve says moving the baffle board back it will increase the Q of the box to over 1.0 (boom boom.... what exactly does this mean... it will make it loader or noisier or what...? any responses welcome, Thanks Guys

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: quick question about plans...
Reply #1 - 07/30/09 at 15:45:46

DannyD,

Welcome to the forums!  

The bass response of a cabinet is considered flat when the "q" is at 0.7

As the "q" increases the bass response becomes peaked and the bandwidth becomes narrower.  You trade low bass for louder high bass, often creating a boomy sounding one note box.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
DannyD
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 07/30/09 at 16:50:15

oooo i see i see
Thanks a lot for how quick you responded
-Dan

IP Logged
DannyD
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 08/06/09 at 05:03:47

Hey Steve,
my friends wants me to build him a wicked one for 2 twelves, other than making the box taller is there anything else i would need to do?
and another question is making the box 36x36 rather than 24x36 make it a lot better?

IP Logged
THE dawg
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/14/09 at 22:28:22

I have to tell you that I have never made a 24x36 WO, but I HAVE constructed one that was 28x36.

For the application, using old beat-up 12" square Kicker drivers, the WO exceeded our expectations by leaps and bounds.

But, even allowing for the increased power available to us, from using Kickers, my classically constructed barrage of dual ten inch driven, 36x36 inch WOs were a bit better in each case, in solid low end and flatness, especially with some EQ and a low crossover point.

It all depends upon what you want to achieve. If you are a fan of higher quality, more "close to flat" response (within reason, that is), then follow the instructions, make clean cuts and solid joints, build a strong enclosure out of good materials and enjoy the results.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print