03/28/24 at 12:24:19 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ERR Setup (Read 3576 times)
Yama Bushi
Ex Member

ERR Setup
07/20/09 at 02:40:20

Greetings to the EER group.  I am new to this forum having just received my ERR's on Friday.  Since I have no experience with radial speakers I was wondering if there are any general setup suggestion (distance between speakers, toe in etc)?  I am driving my ERRs with a First Watt F5 and B1 combo.  Thanks in advance!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: ERR Setup
Reply #1 - 07/20/09 at 03:02:32

Welcome!

It all depends on your room.  I find in my listening rooms the Radials like to be out in the room.  I have them about one third of the way into the room from the back wall and each is about a quarter of the way into the room from the side walls.

In this manner I get great depth and the frequency balance is pretty on target.

Each room I'm sure is different, as well as tonal balance taste.  I have mine with no toe in or toe out because I find the RL2s to be a bit hot on the top end for my purposes (with digital at least).  Experiment and see what you think.

How do you like them so far?  I will have a pair in the future (probably not the near future, seems long waiting time for me!) Smiley

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Yama Bushi
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/20/09 at 05:19:51

Lon - Thanks for the reply.  So far I really like the ERRs.  They take a bit of getting use to as compared to my Magnepan 1.6s.  Overall I am very impressed.  My listening room is 11X14.  I currently have them 1/3 of the way out on 14X side.  I am currently playing around with the toe in etc.  I am also experimenting with changing the resistors....I think I have settled on the 6 ohm for now.

IP Logged
Gmad
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 07/20/09 at 16:23:21

Funny, my 1.5's are also 1/3 from back wall and spaced just 4 feet apart to give me about a 36 degree listening angle which may seem narrow but it is what works for me with this system. Also I've worked my way down to 18ohm resistors for the tweeters now...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 07/20/09 at 16:58:40

Glad you're enjoying them.

Me, I use 100 ohm resistors!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Gmad
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 07/20/09 at 18:21:42

100 ohms wow....with the 1.5's, 18ohm seems to give a balanced response right at the speakers. However, one of the many great things about the radial design is that the sound seems to warms up as you move back towards the listening position. Also the Attraction DAC I use has a warm and natural timbre...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 07/21/09 at 15:10:58

Yeah, with any speaker I've had in the last twenty years I've needed to pad down the treble or toe the speakers out. . . the price I pay for listening to digital I've come to believe.

My hearing has NOT been decreased in the high frequency range, and I'm very sensitive to treble grain and glare.  I have a very good pair of digital front ends right now that have less of the grain and glare than the ZCD for example, and I'm pretty happy, but I do need the flexibility that the Radials offer to get the frequency balance right for me, and I enjoy the treble dampening circuit that Steve installed in my Torii Mark II and my Integrated, that really lets me get the best sound.

Also I've lived in pier and beam houses the last twenty plus years and I think that's a factor.  I'm not one who wants to live in room treatment (and don't want to have a "dedicated listening room"--- I want to live with my system) and so I yam what I yam.

IP Logged
Gmad
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 07/21/09 at 21:32:10

Lon, you sound like a candidate for a non oversampling DAC. Interesting that Steve is currently developing one...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 07/21/09 at 23:07:02

I was talking to Bob about that today.  Probably won't be getting one right away though unless I sell some of the items on my stockpile. Smiley

I have one inside the Peachtree Audio "Decco" hybrid integrated amp I have in my bedroom; I run it as a tubed preamp into my Decware Integrated and powering the Peachtree Audio speakers.  Quite nice.  I've had it in use in the living room system too.

I must say though that the new ES Series Sony SACD player I bought is in fact a superior sounding machine, and does not have a NOS dac within, but does use DSD.  It's an amazing player.  Better to my ears than the ZCD.

IP Logged
Yama Bushi
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 07/26/09 at 23:40:10

Well after a week of moving the my speakers around in space and time I have finally landed on placing them 4 feet apart just short of the middle of the room.  In this configuration it is quite amazing. In 26 + years of HiFi I have never had a pair of speakers simply "vanish" like the ERRs.  I am sold this is cool.  Now I am looking at the Zen redbook player saying Hmmmmmmm. Grin

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #10 - 07/27/09 at 03:26:34

I'd wait for the Zen DAC.

IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #11 - 07/28/09 at 05:35:07

Lon: If any of your "stockpile" items includes a Decware amp or 2, let me know. I'm looking for another! Smiley
Don

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12 - 07/28/09 at 11:34:31

The stockpile contains a set of Decware EL34 Monoblocks, but I'm not sure I'm ready to part with them. . . ..

IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #13 - 07/28/09 at 15:30:48

Lon: Let me know if you do. I may be in the market.(they'd be going to a good home!) Smiley
Don

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #14 - 07/28/09 at 16:18:34

Will do. Sort of keeping them on hand in case I need them in the future. . .I will probably need a larger house in the future, and my gal is a music lover (yeah!) and I'm going to wnt to be sure we hae nough good stereos! Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15 - 07/30/09 at 16:07:12

In the middle of the room huh?  I can't do that unless I dispense with a dining room table, but yeah, I bet they sound good there.

I remember from over a dozen years ago reading about setting up speakers half way into the room and getting really excellent results.

IP Logged
Yama Bushi
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 07/31/09 at 04:04:46

Zen DAC???  I this in the works???  Could be worth the wait.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17 - 07/31/09 at 12:19:27

IP Logged
Yama Bushi
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 08/16/09 at 04:12:54

Ok - so it has been quite some time since I have log on.  I am at the point with ERRs where I would like to play around with the resistors and the capacitors to really dial them in, yet I am not sure what I am doing?  My assumption is that if my ERRs sound a little "bright" then I need to increase the resistance for each speaker?  Any guidance would be much appreciated!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19 - 08/16/09 at 16:07:06

I don't have ERR or any experience with them, but I believe yes, the answer is a higher resister leads to "less brightness." The higher ohmage would represent more resistance/restriction of the tweeter output.

IP Logged
Gmad
Verified Member

Reply #20 - 08/16/09 at 23:04:16

my radial 1.5's came with a 5 ohm resistor installed, but I tried a mundorf 18 ohm and found that the balance is better. It may sound a bit warm at first, but that is the nature of the radial design.

IP Logged
Yama Bushi
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 08/20/09 at 05:00:51

Thanks for the advice - my ERRs came with the 3 ohm installed.  I am running the 5 ohm's now.  This has reduced the "brightness".  18 ohm???  That seems like it huge leap in resistance?  Why the Mundorf?  Thanks!

IP Logged
Yama Bushi
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 08/20/09 at 05:04:35

IP Logged
Gmad
Verified Member

Reply #23 - 08/21/09 at 00:21:51

Yes, those are the ones I use. I chose them because they were closest to the value I thought would work best, Madisound stocks them and has fair shipping charges, and they are supposed to be good quality. However, according to Steve the ERR's are 1db more efficient than the 1.5's so you might want to try 15-16 ohm? The radial design lends itself to a warm tonality so at first it may seem slightly dark, but as your ears adjust and the drivers loosen up you will probably appreciate this approach. This will make for a balanced "direct" sound and a warm "reflected" sound. With omni and dipole type speakers the brain is usually better able to distinguish the direct from the reflected sound if the they are properly set up. Anyway, That's what works for me. --Greg

IP Logged
Gmad
Verified Member

Reply #24 - 08/21/09 at 00:30:26

Fyi: with the radial tweeter, 3ohm -4db, 5ohm -6db, 15ohm -12db.

15-18 ohm would have seemed like a lot to me in the beginning, but just let your speakers break in and your ears/brain adjust.

--Greg

IP Logged
Yama Bushi
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 08/22/09 at 03:06:06

Thanks Greg!!!!

Part are on order, I'll let you know the outcome.

Best regards,

Bill Smiley

IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Reply #26 - 08/29/09 at 00:01:43

Good evening!

reading through this post I was thinking how we seemed to like the ERRs set up closer to the center and fairly close together. It really did make them vanish in the room where I got to listen to them.

As for the resistor, my first thought was a 16ohm. The tweeters are crossed over very high so you cutting down the brightness on a low level sound at a gradual slope. It sounds like a lot, but realistically, you could put a 300ohm resistor on them and they could still be listenable. the difference from 3 to 5 ohms probably won't make much difference, but going up to 15, 16, 18, or maybe 24 should be noticeable. Depending on the cap itself, you could hear a difference too. I know Ziggy has his preferences for caps as do I and everyone else. The Mundorf is a good cap and I am betting you like what you get from that. Depending on how much "too bright" you think they are, an email to Bob or Steve might be the best way to get started.

Enjoy your new speakers! I know I can't wait to convert my current office into a listening room!

Take care,
Robert

The graveyard is full of important men
musgofasa   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print