03/28/24 at 12:57:15 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
DECFEST 2009 (Read 5821 times)
artyg
Ex Member

Re: DECFEST 2009
Reply #50 - 10/12/09 at 01:37:46

Tori III was excellent!!  So much so that I ordered one.  They seemed to be especially synergistic with the ERRs.  I feel the extra power added a lot to the body of the music.

IP Logged
artyg
Ex Member

Reply #51 - 10/12/09 at 01:39:16

I forgot to add that I could not tell the difference between the mini torii and the III

IP Logged
Nelson Bass
Verified Member

Zen Open Baffle
Reply #52 - 10/12/09 at 16:21:57

Anyone heard the Zen Open Baffle at the festival? Tongue

If they are so good as described in the latest article about'em I wonder why Steve setup the Acoustat in first place? Huh

IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #53 - 10/12/09 at 23:40:09

The "Stats" are his reference. (I think)

dennis

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #54 - 10/15/09 at 01:02:32

Quote:
Anyone heard the Zen Open Baffle at the festival? Tongue

If they are so good as described in the latest article about'em I wonder
why Steve setup the Acoustat in first place?

If I were you, I would be wondering the same thing!  Setting up the entire array is a bit of a commitment that makes it hard to hook up anything else while it's in play. A logistics thing. Nevertheless I did hook it up and attempt to dial it in so people could hear it. This year it got set up at the opposite end of the room vs. last year. Again, it had rather excellent bass before I got the broadcast system turned on... just like last year. And like last year, the broadcast system was balanced in at a level so low that no one realized it was on. Some of the comments from those who were listening to them as I got the broadcast system on line said it enhanced the image size and increased the sound stage depth and width.

There is no question that the speakers will fly on their own on in many rooms without the need for a sub or broadcast system. After seeing reactions to the speakers both this year and last, I am confident that my excitement in the papers was justified and not just proud papa syndrome.

If I didn't have the Acoustats I would have used the ZOB to demo the DAC in the evenings, no question. However, this year's focal point was the DAC and new amps so with respect to the DAC I decided to let everyone hear my reference. While most wouldn't know it, the Acoustats are so fast and honest that for me anyway they've been a vinyl only system. Every good DAC I've got to try over the years has confirmed this. My DAC, which I designed for myself primarily, is actually not only listenable but with good recordings head shakingly good with the Acoustats.  So in that light, it was kind of like "hey, look I did the impossible - made Acoustats sound right on digital!

I'll be publishing the plans and adding the Zen Open Baffles to the catalog in the coming months.

Steve Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
goraman
Ex Member

Reply #55 - 10/18/09 at 18:38:26

Am I just missing the obvious,There are times and a date and no location for the fest.

IP Logged
opnly_bafld
Ex Member

Reply #56 - 10/18/09 at 20:48:20

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #57 - 10/21/09 at 02:34:55

Off-Topic replies have been moved to this Topic.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print