Send Topic Print
DECFEST 2009 (Read 5823 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

DECFEST 2009
07/17/09 at 18:21:54

Just a reminder to mark your calendar for OCT 2, 3, 4th 2009 for the DECWARE ZEN FEST, aka DECFEST 2009.  It starts on Friday at noon and ends on Sunday at 5 pm.

This year in the what's new category I will have Decware's first DAC making it's debut.  Also the new TORII MK III will be here and of course the new Mini Torii SEX.  On the speaker front, the new ERR's will be on hand along with all of the Decware loudspeakers.  

So consider this an early reminder and we'll post more details soon.

Thanks,

Steve and crew.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: DECFEST 2009
Reply #1 - 07/17/09 at 18:28:44

For those not familiar with the fest, it's a casual social event that spans 3 days where anyone can attend who has an interest in hi-fi.

Everything we sell on the website is here for audition and you're welcome to bring your own components to see how they mate up with our gear. Food and drink will be provided all three days and there are a large variety of hotels within a 5 to 15 minute radius of our place in the country. We also have plenty of room for tents and a large fire pit to camp around.  

There is no fees for attending.  Bring your wives, they always end up having a good time here. Meet the Decware crew and see where and how the amps are made. Enjoy the dedicated listening room without time limits.  Listen all night if you like... several do every year.

Steve

Just a few more notes about what I have planed special for this year...

FRIDAY and SATURDAY NIGHT AT 10:00 P.M.  I will be demoing the new ZEN TRIODE DAC on my Acoustat Monitor IV's, the speakers that tell all.

Of course during the day and early evenings all the DECWARE speakers and amplifiers will be available for audition, including the the Zen Open Baffle Array that I will have set up on one end of the room.

Another surprise that I'm rather excited about is the final version of our original Zen Triode amplifier, the SE84C, in a further improved chassis done in a white powder coat finish and updated with better binding posts and better volume control! Of course the CCE mod is now standard on this amp.

Pictured above, the new TORII MK III.  Since the Mini Torii SEX introduced at last years fest turned out so good it's fidelity started to threaten our flagship Torii MK II amplifier!  I have since redesigned the MK II and will be introducing the new MK III at this years fest!  It now easily justifies the $1000.00 price difference between it and the Mini Torii SEX.

Any questions are welcome and will be answered here in this thread!

Looking forward to seeing everyone... it's the highlight of my year.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
JasonGmt
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 08/02/09 at 09:35:28

Where do I RSVP?  :D

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #3 - 08/02/09 at 16:19:24

Hi Jason,

Welcome to the forums!  You can RSVP right here.  No reservations are needed to attend, but we can use this thread to get an idea who's coming this year!

Thanks,

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/26/09 at 18:53:24

It goes without saying!

IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #5 - 08/26/09 at 19:03:56

me too (and Deb)

IP Logged
Wakanda
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 09/01/09 at 13:24:23

Is the Zen Open Baffle Array still in development, or will it be available for purchase?

IP Logged
morpheous85
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 09/08/09 at 16:14:10

I'm in!  I'm bringing a guest.

Jason

IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 09/08/09 at 18:25:05

"love is in the air"? Wink

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 09/08/09 at 19:31:48

Would someone be so kind as to bring some seriously good jazz this year? I like it (jazz) but am short on collection/variety, since I passively listen to the jazz channel on DirecTV via SiriusXM.

And on that note I swear sometime I thoroughly dislike the programming director's selections on XM and other times they seem fine. It creeps up on me sorta like listener fatigue and I just get pissed and turn off the XM. Other times I'm fine with the selections.

Anyone else have this happen with music services where you either love or hate the programming on a given weekday or weekend?

See you at FEST!

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 09/08/09 at 19:59:44

Oh yes, and Jazz with hammond organ in it! TOO COOL! Cool

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #11 - 09/09/09 at 16:04:52

Wakanda,

Quote:
Is the Zen Open Baffle Array still in development, or will it be available for purchase?

Since last year's paper I have spent more time with them using a shielded version of the DFR8 driver and am satisfied with the results.  I will demo them again this year at the fest and observe the reactions I get.  Plans will go online shortly afterwords and the speakers will be added to our product line.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
mike_gagne
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 09/10/09 at 08:06:40

Anyone else have this happen with music services where you either love or hate the programming on a given weekday or weekend?

I have often thought the same thing but have often felt it was my differing mental/emotional need at the time. I listen to KCRW music channel all day in my work shop on line from a computer feed in my house as woodworking dust destroys most players, turntables etc. As a prisoner to their picks, I have railed and loved them from moment to moment at times oppositely during a replay of an earlier show. Is it them or me? I am still not sure but I am leaning to a shared issue-it's both. Listener fatigue is assuaged sometimes by a complete change of venue be it tape, cd, radio station, vinyl, or whistling a tune inside my head. And sometimes, not often, I turn off the music and listen to my own thoughts...... I am astounded by what happens.

IP Logged
Audio Addict
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 09/10/09 at 15:03:05

I am sorry I will not be able to attend this year.  This is the same weekend as 2009 RMAF, which I am going to this year.  There is always next year.

IP Logged
ski bum
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 09/13/09 at 23:50:40

Chris K, go get 'All Kooked Out' by Stanton Moore.  Moore is the drummer from Galactic, and this particular album features Charlie Hunter on guitar, and Skerik on sax.  Kinda acid-jazz-meets-nawlins-funky-free-jam type jazz, smokin hot.  Well recorded, too.  It came out of the same sessions as the original Garage a Trois, which was also Moore, Skerik, and Hunter.  Check out any of these guys other works too.

If you want to hear a better mix than that XM stuff, and you can cope with streamed audio, check out KUVO:
http://www.kuvo.org/index.php?s=89

I suppose it would be a lot to ask if dogs are welcome by the fire circle during decfest.  Steve?

Oh, and the SE84C+ looks better in black, imo.

IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 09/14/09 at 03:27:24

I'll check that out Ski!

I'd say if your dog has some manners (no biting) dogs are fine around the House-O-Deckert. But I defer to the host of course. Wink

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #16 - 09/16/09 at 15:22:50

We have a large fenced yard with a couple basset hounds, so no problem if you have dogs!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #17 - 09/21/09 at 17:59:18

As you already know, the new TORII MK III is on sale until after the Zenfest, but for all those who attend the fest, we will be offering everything else we make at 10% off during the fest.  That means orders placed during the fest by those who attend will be 10% off.

Looking forward to seeing everyone... 10 days and counting...

WWW   IP Logged
jpv
Seasoned Member

Cause inside
everyone is a heavy
metal kid

Reply #18 - 09/23/09 at 21:24:04

I will not be able to attend this year.  :( It is a event I look forward to.
Will you have the webcam going like last year?
I will see you next year.

VPI Scoutmaster, Grado Master3, Odyssey Candela Preamp and Suspiro phono preamp Counterpoint NP100 amp (modded by Altavista Audio), Goldenear Triton One speakers, CD240 CDP, Lots of room treatment. Anti-cable sp cables and IC, Decware IC, ZKit 1, ZDAC.
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #19 - 09/26/09 at 15:33:47

Web cam... remains to be seen.   I will likely try, but against two obstacles:  A) my memory of how to set it up and B) my wallet!

Steve  ;D

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #20 - 09/29/09 at 02:43:26

Hope everyone is getting ready for this weekend's fest!  I've noticed that this is the only time every year that my shop gets cleaned!  I ordered little trolls to live under my bench and keep the shop clean by night, but the damn things never showed up.

I have a hand-full of new Decware amps and stuff built and ready this year.  That way if someone gets an impulse while at the show, he or she can go home with something.

Looks like it's going to be overcast and a bit cooler than the 70 degree weather we've been having all September (all summer in fact) so bring a sweater.  If anyone wants to enjoy the outdoor hot tub bring your swim suit.  

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
stevef
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 09/29/09 at 04:11:53

Julie and I will attend Saturday.

Steve

IP Logged
76doublebass
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 09/30/09 at 02:09:19

Sorry Steve I can't make it this year But maybe next year. I had already made plans well in advance to go AT RMAF 2009.
My computer completely crashed so I have not contacted anyone on your site for a while. I will call u up later and let u know of whatS going on at RMAF. i AM USING THE LIBRARY COMPUTER NOW.
I will be curious about your DAC. How will it incorporate to my Tacam u modified? And what is the cost of this DAC? Maybe you will let uis know
after the fest.
Talk to u soon.
Don Curry Cheesy

IP Logged
Herman
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 10/02/09 at 03:10:06

My wife and I will attend! I will bring my unfinished KIT4 and Kit5 for guidance.

Farewell,
Herman

IP Logged
artyg
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 10/02/09 at 12:40:04

I'm a newbie here, what is the address for the Decfest?  Would I be able to buy a set of ERR's and Torii III there at the event?

Thanks

IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 10/02/09 at 15:34:00

Welcome Artyg,

The Address is:
DECWARE / High Fidelity Engineering Co.
75 S. Riverview Drive, East Peoria IL 61611 USA
(309) 822 5255

Yes you can purchase speakers and amps there.

Come by and meet some really nice folks and listen to all the equipment.

See you there.

dennis

IP Logged
jpv
Seasoned Member

Cause inside
everyone is a heavy
metal kid

Reply #26 - 10/02/09 at 19:25:32

Steve,
 I am wondering if you are streaming live video of the event like last year? I'm in Connecticut right now and would like to see this years event. Happy listening
John

VPI Scoutmaster, Grado Master3, Odyssey Candela Preamp and Suspiro phono preamp Counterpoint NP100 amp (modded by Altavista Audio), Goldenear Triton One speakers, CD240 CDP, Lots of room treatment. Anti-cable sp cables and IC, Decware IC, ZKit 1, ZDAC.
  IP Logged
jpv
Seasoned Member

Cause inside
everyone is a heavy
metal kid

Reply #27 - 10/04/09 at 02:56:32

Hey, Whats going on? I hope the weather is more cooperative there then it is here.  Not cold but wet.
I wore my decfest 06 tee shirt today and I offerd $100.00 to anybody who could tell me what "ITFWSWC" ment. NO winners but alot of creative alternative. some I can't post.
Anyway I'm sure you all had a great time.  Devons soup was a hit and had a good breakfast tomorrow.

John

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #28 - 10/05/09 at 15:50:57

Hey Jpv from Terre Haute via Long Island, I could not make it this year neither. You need to get a Decware Amp to run those Proac's  8-). The Torii III comes to mind..... ahhhh?!

Anyway, I would like to read about impressions of the new III with the now additional tube regulation and the CCE mod. Drumsgreg CCE modded his II and is running a pair of Eminent Tech Speakers (83db 1watt/1meter).....you know this Amp can drive just about anything. How was it with Steve's big guy panels?

Cheers, working on owning the new III - Stone of Tone  8-)

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #29 - 10/05/09 at 17:41:45

I guess everyone is SPEECHLESS. Cheesy

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #30 - 10/05/09 at 18:26:23

Nope ..... just suffering from "automobile lag" .....  

Dave and I got back about 10:00 PM last night and I was too pooped to post.

Had a great time ..... many thanks to the Decware crew for the hospitality and especially to DeVon for her traditionally superb soup .....

I have had two opportunities to hear the Mini Torii amplifier over the past few weeks, once at the Mini-HornFest and again at the DecFest and it is one fine amplifier.  It works extremely well with all of the speakers at both events and has a truly unique and musical sound.

As for Steve's new DAC, it is a true wonder of versatility.  In addition to sounding very, very good ..... it has some wonderful features built in that allow an almost endless ability to tailor the sound to the associated equipment and /or recordings.

For anyone who thinks that good sound cannot be had from a USB input from a computer, I can now beg to differ.

If you can't get your system to sound good with this DAC, there is something seriously wrong in the rig ..... and it's not the DAC.

It was good to see some old friends and to make some new ones .....  

OK ..... I'm done for now ..... and I know there were others in attendance .....  

Let's hear it .....

Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 10/05/09 at 19:01:28

It was a fun time and I learned a lot talking to everyone. This was my first time attending. I second the Mini Torii. That amp had a sweet sound. My main purpose was to listen to all the speakers that Decware has. All I have to say is I was impressed. They all sounded great but I did have my favorite, well actually two. The ERRs sounded great and a beautiful looking speaker. But my favorite was the corner horns. I call it the wall of sound. Those speakers just fill the whole room. Huge sound, but what is amazing about them is the bass they produce from a 6" full range. The only way to describe it is quick and deep. I wish I had more time to spend there but other things got in the way. I would like to thank all the Decware folks for the hospitality.

John

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #32 - 10/05/09 at 19:44:02

Thanks for weighing in guys!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
dla405j

Reply #33 - 10/05/09 at 20:04:00

..another great time at Decfest!  Thanks to the Decware crew for their efforts and hospitality.  Again I learned much and was challenged by what I heard and again had to throw out some long held misconceptions about audio.  Steve has raised the bar again in digital sound...his new dac and cd player beats my tried and true vinyl by a substantial margin...back to the drawing board for me as I rethink the possibilities of digital ala decware!..I received a lot of wise counsel from Decware veterans and met/made some new friends...thanks everybody for a wonderful event..
Dave Atteberry
dla405j

IP Logged
eagertrader
Ex Member

Reply #34 - 10/05/09 at 21:12:44

I am beyond sorry that I wasn't able to attend the fest. Since I am new to the site and a Decware customer in waiting on top of that, I am on the fence as to which direction to go (Mini or full Torii.) I would really appreciate some feedback from the attendees, as to the differences they were able to perceive between the Mini Torii-SEX and the Torii Mark-III. I have a pair of efficient (98db) back loaded horn towers. Listen primarily to classical music.
Thank you in advance for posting a reply.

PICT0636.gif
  IP Logged
stevef
Ex Member

Reply #35 - 10/06/09 at 04:16:30

First let me say that Julie and i enjoyed getting together with old friends and making some new ones too.  The Deckert's are great hosts. Everybody feels like family. Really guys, you owe it to yourselves to attend a fest.

The highlight of the fest had nothing to do with audio! I saw Dave eat a hot pepper, turn red, and well... DeVon had something to do with that.

The audio highlights were interesting too.  I am super critical of loudspeakers.  I have auditioned a lot of them over the years.  I thought that the corner horns were smooth and natural.  If your room can accommodate them you really can't go wrong there.

THE special audio moment of the show was plugging the new Mini Tori into the system.  We were listening through the Radials at the time.  This diminutive amp is the best product of Decware's lineup.  Here's why.  After listening through a couple of older amps, I asked Steve to please put the new amp in a system.  As soon as it turned on, there was an improvement in dynamics and frequency range.  Then Steve said wait about twenty two minutes and the sound would improve.  He was wrong.  It took twenty three minutes.  I was turned around, away from the speakers.  All of a sudden the sound field floated above the Radials.  The sound was held tight "in a vise" with a three dimensional palatability I've only previously experienced with the best OTL amps, and a super expensive monster SET design.  This little amp is compatible with a wider range of speakers though.  I hope to visit again and bring two or three pairs of my designs and Ed Schilling's Horns to confirm what I heard.  This amp was loaded with a very neutral tube set.  I wouldn't change a thing.  You tube rollers could have a lot of fun trying different combinations.  Not me.  I hate tube rolling.  

This is Steve's best effort to date, and places him with some of the best designers out there.  I want one.  So go ahead and take a bow Steve, you've earned it.

Stevef

IP Logged
juanitox
Ex Member

Reply #36 - 10/06/09 at 06:45:01

what a pleasure to hear that , i have just ordered a Mini , now i'feel more secure with my choice..
i will post a review in pair with my Avant-garde Horns in few weeks .. Wink

IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 10/06/09 at 14:21:13

Mini-TORII
Heard it last year was good! Heard it this year ordered it on the spot!
Steve & DeVon we love you guys! Thanks for the warm welcome and hospitality. I look forward to this every year and really enjoy all the fine and now can call "old" friends I've made in this "obsession" of hi-fi audio.

Randy & Dave two of my favorites, always a pleasure to see and talk with you guys. Thanks for the attenuator!

Jason G. great time meeting you! Folks here is a young fellow who "gets it" and is DIYing a pair of Decware Corner Horns. I'll be in touch!

Great to see  you Jason (morpheous85) and your new gal! I was tired on Sunday when you and your friend were there. We could have swapped more equipment in and out for you.

Dave Att, nice to chat (briefly as it were) with you again. Want a copy of the Orthodox Church choir? Send a PM.

DPC Paul Campbell, you were missed on Sat. and Sun. ???

Steve & Julie, always a pleasure and when will we hear Julie sing?

Rob S. Great time man!

Dan K you and your wife are a fixture here and always glad you came. I learn something from you every time I come to DecFest. Great Zen kit build, sounded tremendous.

Doug and Mary, thanks for coming, great talks!

Dean, you telling me that your adult children come home to visit and you have, music listening sessions with them. Well that is just so cool! DVD movies..... NAHHH... let's just sit down and listen to some tunes and sip on a fine beverage with the "old man". May I be blessed with those moments when my son is grown.

Wally, what can I say man? Separated at birth? We TALK TOO MUCH! But I loved it. Can you say positive attitude? This guy has it in spades! We'll be in touch. Take care.

Bob Z, as always thanks for building great Decware speakers. You and Steve have changed the face of hi-fi in some great or small way no matter what happens down the road.

Steve, continue to be "unorthodox" in your approach. IT WORKS. You already know that but affirm it anyhow.

Sarah your a breath of fresh air and your mom has a lot of confidence in you. Keep up the good work.

Sorry if I left anyone out! To all the rest, great to meet you.
I missed my family this weekend very much and I was tired this weekend so if I was off a little that was why.

Thanks again for a great time,
Chris

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #38 - 10/06/09 at 14:41:05

Oh forgot.
Father Murphy came several times. But he did not win out.
You scoundrel Angry

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #39 - 10/06/09 at 18:01:58

As in "Murphy's Law" (different Murphy than "Father Murphy").

I'd love to hear details about the DAC if anyone has some to share including any pricing that may have been mentioned.

IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #40 - 10/07/09 at 01:44:18

Now about the Zen DAC.
The single word descriptions: detailed & smooth. No harshness from the equipment. If the recording was harsh the sound was faithfully conveyed by the DAC's conversion and the tube output gave a sweet rendition of that. If there were MP3 files that were played through FooBar I do not know. What I do know is that it was the smoothest, most dynamic and detailed digital reproduction at the Fest and I had many familiar tunes to choose from on Bob Z. computer. The ZCD player was no less good than before but the DAC was so much more refined. I can't say much about other DAC's since I have not heard many. Randy had a MHDT labs "Havana" DAC that did a great job while the ZenDAC recovered from a bout with "Murphy".
Suffice to say that I now understand that digital bitstream off a hard drive into a DAC is exactly what I expected and more.
The effort Steve put into this very complex but versatile dream box is astounding. I was afraid to touch any of the little switches (did not) and only messed with the gain knob to get the sound dialed in from time to time.

The DAC with Zigy's laptop on the Acoustat Monitor IV's I personally have never heard recorded music have such alive and present feeling and the detail in the midrange and real big fast deep bass from these monsters is really something. I'd tell you all to get a pair but from what was said to me about them (Acoustats) they are a commitment what with size and a healthy pair of the factory servo amps that drive them. I can see why Steve calls this his reference.

Overall the DAC is a success though I suspect there is a bit more tweaking before a production unit comes for sale. Price I heard some numbers tossed around but I'm not going there. I'll let the Zen Master give that out. I'd only hope for bitstream off iPod and toslink but we'll see.

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 10/07/09 at 02:03:03

More on the Mini TORII.
The little amp when swapped into the system on the west wall of the listening room made heads literally turn to see, including mine. Unfortunately this magic started to happen Sat. afternoon when some folks had already said their last goodbyes. We then proceeded to throw all the various speakers at the little guy and the thought that occurred to me was that this was the most robust and sweet sounding 4-5 watts ever heard. The amp got on well with all the speakers but was especially good with the radials and the MG944. This amp hooked to the HDT's later in the evening was the first time the HDT and my ears got along. HDT's had always been a problem for me. I wanted to like them but never could. Well the Mini TORII is so nice it just gave the HDT a liquid feel that used to be dry and sterile to my ears previously. No loss in detail just a "wetter" more musical sound from the HDT with the Mini TORII. I went to the FEST thinking TORII MkIII and now I've gone and ordered the Mini TORII. The thing just charmed me to no end. It's cute and ballsy at the same time. Another attendee remarked to me he though it was Steve's best amplifier effort ever! That just might be true. I'll tell you when I have it in the house for awhile. I'm almost certain it won't disappoint.

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #42 - 10/07/09 at 11:26:56

Hey Chris, Illness prevented my participation Sat. and Sun.
If you PM me with your address, I'll send that CD we listened to.

I still have unfinished business with Randy, Dave and Bob Z.

It was really great to visit with old friends if only for one day.

dennis

IP Logged
Nelson Bass
Verified Member

Reply #43 - 10/07/09 at 21:44:13

What about the Zen Open Baffle speaker?  :)
How well did they sound?
How are they compared to the HDT?  ;)

IP Logged
davedutill
Seasoned Member

Time becomes
meaningless in the
face of creativity

Reply #44 - 10/08/09 at 04:51:03

A very big thanks goes out to Steve, Devon & Sarah!!!

Another great start to the fall season in East Peoria.  Was great seeing all the familiar friends and making some new ones!  

My taste buds have finally returned!!   Having seen/witnessed Sarah channel herself through Devon........a long story.......That was one HOT Pepper  :)  On a more serious note Devon, I would very much like to get the recipe for that soup.  It gets better every year.

Any folks in the market for a DAC this year should definately check Steves new unit out.  This unit has all the digital inputs most people would want and also has the capability to tailor the sound to your preference by the flip of any number of switches.  A must hear!!

Once again, a big thanks to the Decware crew for hosting a great event that gets better every year.

Dave

IP Logged
stevef
Ex Member

Reply #45 - 10/08/09 at 04:56:53

Don't know if they got any play time.  Perhaps the flaw this year was that new equipment didn't get rotated into the mix. On Saturday I had to ask specifically for the Mini Torii to be put in the system.  The fest is VERY casual, a good thing, but I hope next year that the new stuff gets played on Saturday.  
Decware makes quite a few different products.  I doubt if it's possible to combine all of the amps, speakers, and sources and provide ample time for critical listening.  Remember people brought some of their own gear to see how well it matched up with Decware products.  Dave Dutill brought his Excalibur flagship speaker along to give us a chance to hear his implementation of a Heil driver.  We did a lot of mix and match but didn't have a chance to try everything.  There were a couple of tech glitches too.  They took a bit of time to solve.  Every show has them.  
Maybe next year, those who can't attend can ask for reviews of certain products by attendees.  There were some sharp people in attendance, who would have great comments.  The average experienced audiophile is a much more honest reviewer than  magazine hacks.

Steve

PS:  I personally took time to stop listening to "talk shop" with Steve, Bob, Dave, and discuss listening sessions with experienced audiophiles like Randy.  So much audio & not enough time!!!!

IP Logged
JasonGmt
Verified Member

Reply #46 - 10/09/09 at 20:37:48

Thanks so much for having such a great event each year! This was my first, but I am sure will not be my last. I could tell this is a seasoned event and everything is covered for the guests. What Hospitality! DeVon and Sarah, you ladies Rawk! Always attentive to any needs of your guest and customers.

I really had a great time and felt very at home, thanks to Steve, DeVon and Sarah.

Steve, thanks for all you have done for Decfest and developing, producing and providing such wonderful gear, as well as all the rest of the Decware crew that contribute to the magic. I hope to continue learning from the Master and sharing in your revelations and reading all about your ongoing developments and any new ones. Being involved in each of your designs through your white papers, online manuals, or write-ups is one of my favorite aspects to Decware.

It was an honor to meet everyone and I look forward to keeping in touch with people. I really enjoyed my time and talks with Chris K, Bob Z, Wally, DeVon and Sarah the most, but everyone I talked to was enriching and I look forward to more at the next event I get to experience.

If you haven't gone to a Decfest yet, I plead with you to make it happen. It will be worth the effort. Very rewarding and eye opening.

Thanks again to everyone at the event for making it such a special event and memory for me.

I am very excited to start building a foundation for my personal audio arsenal, with some great Decware products.

First up will be some DYI corner horns, will keep posting on that as it develops and any other gear additions.

jason g.

IP Logged
stevef
Ex Member

Reply #47 - 10/10/09 at 20:44:30

Jason,

Please take some pictures of your horn building experience.   I was very impressed with their sound too.  I heard them before in Steve's old office/room and liked them then.  The new room is a bit tougher acoustically, but I enjoyed them more.  Since I am always too busy to build new stuff, I'd like to find out if the build is very difficult before I try to find time for it.  Good luck & have fun with your project.

Steve F

IP Logged
stevef
Ex Member

Reply #48 - 10/10/09 at 20:53:22

Did anyone get to listen to the new version of the Torii III?  The only new amp I got to seriously audition was the Mini Torii & I loved it?  Reading back through this thread made me realize we missed something.

Steve Roll Eyes Smiley

IP Logged
Young_SC
Seasoned Member

I love Decware 1G -
SP1!

Reply #49 - 10/11/09 at 02:41:29

Was anyone running around with a camera at the Fest?

Would love to see some pics.

Marantz CD 63KI (modded)
Monica 2 DAC with I/V output stage
ZBox
Decware SE84CEX
Homebuilt HDT's with doughnuts
Enamelled copper wire IC's with Eichmann plugs
Enamelled copper wire speaker cables
Young_SC   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print