Send Topic Print
DFR-65 (Read 12478 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

DFR-65
07/07/09 at 02:23:49

The DFR-65 stands for Decware Full Range 6.5 inch  The phase guide is a long story, but as you can see it is a tube.  AFter 2 years of R&D all my designs fell short of the glass tube.  The phase guide design of the DFR-8 does not work when scaled down for this driver.

This is a killer upgrade for anyone using a stock Fostex FE166 or 167E driver, such as those used in the Cain&Cain Abby.

In the Decware Corner Horns, this driver gives world class fidelity from 20Hz to 20kHz.... believe it or not!  

WWW   IP Logged
KimKman
Ex Member

Re: DFR-65
Reply #1 - 07/07/09 at 02:31:27

"In the Decware Corner Horns, this driver gives world class fidelity from 20Hz to 20kHz"

Would love to hear this!

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #2 - 07/07/09 at 20:36:11

KimKman,

When can you come over?

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
skite30
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/19/09 at 22:21:53

I bought a pair of these from steve last december. I was very happy with them but one started distorting. I sent it back to steve and he discovered some debris stuck in it. He sent them back to me at no charge either for shipping or diagnosing the problem. Terrific customer support.
I have them in a pair of ABBy's. While steve had the driver I installed an extra ff165 in 1 speaker. I was able to compare the 2 different drivers by going back and forth with the balance control. Something I would never try otherwise. The dfr6.5 was much smoother in the top end had better bass extension and gave a much more open sound than the 165.  It was much richer sounding in the 400 and below range that is so hard for most single driver speakers to cover.
What all this add's up to is I feel it is a very worthwhile mod and the customer support is great.

IP Logged
CHansen
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/14/10 at 17:13:16

I know there have bee recent supply issues for the Fostex drivers needed for the DFR-65 mod.  Sarah was very understanding and they finally arrived yesterday. Tks.
I replaced my FE167Es in Fritz's front-ported BR boxes, not having the recommended BLHs on-hand.
Right out of the box they sound crisp and clean, clear and airy.
A little scratchy on the top end from time to time, but that should solve itself with break-in.  
I must say using an EL84 as the phase plug is a bit much.  I'll use the stubbies for break-in and then sub the EL84s later on for a test.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print