Send Topic Print
MG944 Upgrade (Read 16700 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

MG944 Upgrade
06/09/09 at 16:30:39

We came out with the MG944 because we wanted an entry level high efficiency speaker that would compliment even our smallest 2 watt amplifiers.  Something that was smooth, had body, and real bass.

When we reviewed the prototype back in 2004 a discussion took place regarding the price being too low.  We decided ahead of time that the speaker would sell for below a thousand US dollars however when we heard it and saw the finished product there was simply no way this was a thousand dollar speaker.  We could have priced it at twice this amount and still been way ahead of the game.  Obviously the right decision was made and the introductory price was set at $849.00 a pair!

Since that time I have lost count at how many pair have been sold on the 30 day trial, and amazingly I can't remember a single pair coming back!

We have improved the cabinet design recently by eliminating the slot in the front of the cabinet.  This slot was the exit for the bass frequencies created by the passive radiator in the bottom of the cabinet.  

The new design uses a heavy plinth for the bottom of the cabinet with the rest of the cabinet floating above it with about a 1/2 inch gap.  This gap pre-loads the passive and the plinth takes the floor out of the bass equation for predictable performance on any type of floor surface.

With this improvement goes the long over due introductory price of $849.00 and the speakers will be selling for $995.00 a pair.  Even better sounding than the originals, there isn't anything out there that performs this well in all categories.

https://www.decware.com/newsite/MG944.htm

WWW   IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: MG944 Upgrade
Reply #1 - 06/09/09 at 23:16:35

I'm glad I ordered mine before the increase.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Finch
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 12/07/10 at 04:27:29

I just ordered mine on Sunday night, can't believe my wife went for it, all I have to do is scrub the floor once a week. I think I got the better deal. These will be my first real full range speakers. I have been building my system for two years and had Usher Audio S520's but finally started missing the base. I just got my first tube amp this summer, Cayin A50T. I didn't know about Decware yet and my local dealer is a good guy. I still think this amp will rock these speakers pretty well. I am so excited.  I love this web site and everything it represents. I was proud to buy from this company. Thanks a lot. The knowledge you put out there for us beginners is amazing.

Rega RP6- ZP3- macmini- Benchmark Dac2 HGC- Torii mkii/ SE84 UFO2- MG944/DNA
  IP Logged
opnly_bafld
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 12/08/10 at 00:51:11

I think you are really going to enjoy these speakers.

Lin

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 12/08/10 at 00:57:39

I see they are $1,295.00 now. Still a bargain. I can't believe I bought mine at the introductory price after the upgrade but before the price increased.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 12/09/10 at 02:12:31

Yes Lin,
A real "non sequitur" considering how great they sound yet how inexpensive and the driver size Roll Eyes. A speaker that has more balls and finesse in one place than any speaker I've known of it's size. Yet it is so easy on the ears. A very well rounded and capable speaker that is worth twice it's list price. Wink

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print