Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 17:05:58 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Mini Torii SE Amplifier (Read 34549 times)
Raduschka
Seasoned Member

Re: Mini Torii SE Amplifier
Reply #50 - 05/21/11 at 15:51:14

Hi,
I settled on a pair of NOS NEC 6v6 (from thetubestore.com) and NOS mullard 12au7. The NEC have an audible edge over other 6v6 I have tried, the bass is rounder, the mids are more credible. I have tried a pair of RCA blackplate greyglass and took them out immediately, they produced no bass at all. I don't know if smth was wrong with them or the combination of tubes... I haven't tried 6x4s yet, except for a pair of nos bplate Philips (tubestore too) and they did make everything sound ...creamier I guess, a little darker but more interesting.

IP Logged
Raduschka
Seasoned Member

Reply #51 - 05/21/11 at 16:38:17

..forgot to mention that the philips  6x4 blackplate are unusable in my Mini torii ( and perhaps in all of them???) because they whistle like there is no tomorrow...

IP Logged
Raduschka
Seasoned Member

Reply #52 - 05/26/11 at 01:30:48

I have just added a PS Duet Power conditioner to the audiofamily. In conjunction with my modified tripp-lite it has allowed the musical experience to reach new heights. The level of detail and coherence is now almost indecent and so is the level of enjoyment... I am slowly losing my fitness, as I sit at work and sit at home!
After this evening's listening session I felt like doing two things (three actually but I can only talk about two of them): one, move over to THIS chair and write to you all about what a 200$ PS Duet can do and say thanks to Lon, whose suggestion about getting the Duet lead directly to a purchase thereof from partXconnection.
two, become religious for a second so that i can thank a power higher than Steve Deckert, of which he is only a messenger. (and then return to my beloved atheism and try to explain the miracle of what I hear without invoking the supernatural).
Hugs and kisses

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #53 - 05/26/11 at 01:47:23

Alright, glad you had a positive experience with the Duet. I tried doing without mine but didn't like it at all when it was removed, you're right about the refinement of the sound.

Keep on enjoyin' the sounds my friend!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Raduschka
Seasoned Member

Reply #54 - 06/05/11 at 02:13:56

...I installed a hospital grade outlet in my living room, as the one I was using was remarkably loose. upon inspection, the wires coming out of the wall were completely darkened by decades of unattended existence so I brought their coppery shine back  with a piece of sand paper. Yes, now I have even better sound coming out of my system, easily audible in the bass zone, but the whole sound is more lifelike. Sting-dream of the Blue Turtles MSFL happened to be the cd in the player. Moon over Bourbon street-well, he is right there, on top of the bass and there is a saxophone in the back. "You can't say that"-the two notes on the bass, they feel like a real bass guitar being played  now and the percussion is life like. etc etc
I bought a red leviton hospital grade outlet from
frwoodworking on Ebay, for 7$ + 2$ shipping or so. Not the best, but it works for now.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230625178913&ssPageName=STRK:M...

IP Logged
Raduschka
Seasoned Member

Re: fantastic diy pure silver interconnects
Reply #55 - 06/13/11 at 19:31:03

to all Mini Torii owners and everyone interested in fantastic diy interconnects: http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=cables&n=152650&highlight=

And vh audio: http://www.venhaus1.com/diysilverinterconnects.html

For 150$ I now have fantastic sound. My system already had a Phd, now it has finished 10 years of post doctoral studies ans is working for the UN on humanitarian missions and writing best selling books on its favourite topics. Maybe one day it will  be an accomplished painter.

These interconnects have allegedly been preferred to no-costs-barred interconnects. Although I never tested such expensive objects I can tell you that they sound way better than what I had and that the guy selling them answers all emails and is really sweet to deal with. I urge you to try making them, it is easy!!!

IP Logged
Raduschka
Seasoned Member

Reply #56 - 06/25/11 at 18:10:22

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43532031/ns/technology_and_science-innovation

is anyone aware of this? Will it affect the sound? Should I move back to Europe? Smiley

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #57 - 06/25/11 at 18:31:59

I read that in this morning's paper and wondered the same thing. That is just what we need, someone Effin' areound with the cycles of our electricity. I can only guess on what kind of havoc this will play with our systems. I wonder how it will effect industry, I know that all of my machines are very picky about what you feed them, the drives go wacko if they don't get what they need.
I was just offered a job in China, maybe I should consider it more seriously.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #58 - 06/25/11 at 21:19:45

I also wonder what effect this will have. Changes in cheap timekeeping like microwave ovens, don't worry me too much, though the aggravation will be annoying. I do wonder what frequency variability will do to line noise, if anything, and the quality of sound. Will have to pay attention to what happens on the Monster AVS-2000 and the PS Audio Power Plant when this happens.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
Raduschka
Seasoned Member

Reply #59 - 10/01/11 at 21:05:40

hello everyone!

Can anyone please spell out for me the differences between the 4 types of gas voltage regulators in regard to their impact on the sound? I own 3 of the 4 types, with the 4th in the mail, due on upcoming Monday. I have noticed that the 0d3 takes away from the bass but makes it tighter and quicker. What I would like to know is wether it also makes the soundstage appear less deep and focused, as I can't seem to decide by myself. I also have the feeling it makes the midrange less screamy and overall it feels like the amp handles the speakers better, as if it had more power.
The 0a3 seems to give bloated and slow bass notes, but I am afraid everything else is somewhat more elegant, although the percussion does seem a little lifeless in comparisaon to the 0d3 presentation.
I keep reading that the 0c3 offers the best regulation of the 4 types. I wish I understood what that means, especially in practical terms, for my mini torii and listening experience.
The 0c3 arrive, as I said, on Monday.
I suppose whatever those gas regulators do, I can find a middle path with the 0b3 and the 0c3. Hopefullt the best of 2 worlds, if there are such 2 worlds. I haven't heard a world of difference though.
Thank you for any input!
yours
Raduschka

IP Logged
Raduschka
Seasoned Member

Reply #60 - 12/07/11 at 02:38:32

hello everyone, I am about to buy a diy audio note DAC  (kit 2.1 B) and would like to know if its higher output voltage (2.5 rms) is compatible with the Mini Torii, I remember reading somewhere that the amp would actually benefit from higher input voltages, but I wouldn't sleep tight if I didn't double check. Thank you in advance

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #61 - 12/07/11 at 12:31:47

The MINI TORII can do more with lower voltages than a TABOO can. I think you will do fine with a 2.5 volt output in the MINI

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Raduschka
Seasoned Member

Reply #62 - 12/07/11 at 12:54:02

thank you!

IP Logged
Raduschka
Seasoned Member

Reply #63 - 12/22/11 at 23:02:13

good Lord, I soldered together an AudioNote 2.1b D.A.C. and it is breaking in right now, sounding incredibly different from my tubed CD player that I am now using as a transport only. I tried to use a pair of EZ81 rectifiers (through adapters) instead of the native 6x4 with very poor results... I only have 1 pair of RFT (nos) EZ81 tubes, I wonder if the poor results are due to these particular tubes... By poor I mean limited depth of soundstage basically, yuck, it all sounded like a very detailed brickwall in front of me!!! Could the EZ81  be an intrinsically bad idea on a mini torii????? Rivieraranch?

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #64 - 12/23/11 at 01:47:36

I am sorry to hear about the problems you have had using the EZ81 rectifier.

I bought a pair of NOS RFT rectifiers from Jim McShane and the adapters you mention. I never compared the 6X4 with the EZ81 because I used my EZ81's and adapters exclusively with 6Y6G power tubes.

The 6Y6 proved too much for the 6X4 rectifier, which is why I tried  the EZ81 in the first place. When I spoke to Steve Deckert about the problems I was having with the 6X4 he conceded that the 6X4 is the "weak link" in that amp. However, the 6X4 was chosen because it sounded very good.

For me, trying the EZ81 was more of an experiment. I am using 6L6WGTB power tubes and 6X4W rectifiers right now. I might swap in the EZ81 to make a comparison when using the 6L6 family. I doubt there is anything wrong with the RFT rectifiers.

You should also consider that you could use a 9-pin 6V4 (EZ80) rectifier as well. Since you already bought the adapters you could try that alternative.

Steve also mentioned that the currently produced MINI TORII is now using the 9-pin EZ81 rectifier. I doubt it could be bad.      

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Raduschka
Seasoned Member

Reply #65 - 12/23/11 at 01:54:37

yes, I had the same line of thought, i doubt it could be bad since Steve is using it... Could it be that he modified the circuit somehow to accommodate the ez81??   The 6x4 sounds significantly better, not just different... Hmmm... I am puzzled. The adapters are great. I wonder about the other type of rectifier...

Steve meant weak link in terms of availability I suppose?? Or current?

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #66 - 12/23/11 at 10:34:54

Weak link in the sense that if the power tubes are biased real high (since the unit is self-biasing) they stress the rectifier and could blow it. If your 6X4's are glowing too bright then you are headed for trouble.

You should ask Steve if there is any change to the internals with the move from the 6X4 to the EZ81.

55   IP Logged
erik2a3
Seasoned Member

Reply #67 - 02/29/12 at 00:09:07

Hello!  I've been having a little trouble logging in, but a call to Decware and very nice chat with Steve himself helped take of things.  As of the last post on the Mini Torii, the one my dear wife ordered for me was wrapped up in holiday ribbons and paper -- and I hadn't a clue about!  This amp is among the very first I haven't built myself (what a treat!), and Marie ( said dear wife) mentioned again how genuinely kind, friendly, and helpful everyone at Decware was to her.  You see, I've been looking at Decware amps from the beginning, and we almost purchased one of the original kits so many years go it's kind of scary.  And even then the absolute customer oriented nature of this small company was obvious -- only helpful, with no pressure of any kind.  I have built a large number of amps since that time, from OTL, to different varieties of 2a3,300b and so forth....ac filaments, dc filaments, etc., etc., including amplifiers from Moth Audio, which we bought as a chassis and bunch of parts, Bottlehead, Welborne Labs, and others.  And I love all those amps; they each have something to offer, but not equally in the same situation.

And then comes along a diminutive but not tiny, and very light weight amp called the Mini Torii. I was and am thrilled with it.  With our Lowthers and klipschhorns, and La scalas, it is without a doubt the best amp we have in terms of power supply rejection.  Hooked up to La Scalas, the sense of clarity, presence and surprising bass weight from such a small amplifier was completely not in keeping with its size and weight.  

The input jacks are not isolated from the chassis with shouldered washers, suggesting perhaps a ground plane.  But I am intrigued to get in to see exactly the kind of ground scheme is used and to discover what makes this marvelous little amp as quiet as it is with Lowther horns, which as many of you know can be ruthless in that respect.

And so, this first post has gone on long enough.  Thanks to Decware and Steve for being so helpful to a wife who wanted to surprise her husband with a genuine Decware valve amp for Christmas.  I haven't tube rolled in years but have some old Philco radios I worked on with output tubes that will work in this amp!  So for now... erik2a3

Have fun!
erik
  IP Logged
Raduschka
Seasoned Member

Reply #68 - 02/29/12 at 00:20:09

yay erik2a3, glad to have some news from a new mini T owner! As for me, today I regranished the insides of my diy audio note cabinets and decided to experiment with squares of wool attached to the rays of the speaker basket (to soften sound reflections from the backside of the paper cone). Amazing results!!!! My girlfriend graced me with a listen in and she cried a little because I played the song that always makes her cry apparently... Of all songs it is Roger Waters' 3rd track on Amused to Death Smiley I take it she doesn't quite understand the lyrics, as she is French speaking, how else could one cry to that Smiley I'll have to check with her.
My mini is also dead quiet, amazingly so with sensitive speakers, but it has developed an intermittent noise on one channel. No big deal yet, I dread having to ship it back to Steve, since it weighs half a ton. Regards

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #69 - 02/29/12 at 00:44:41

Congrats Erik! Welcome to the forum!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #70 - 02/29/12 at 00:54:05

Maybe you will become Erik 6V6?

55   IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #71 - 02/29/12 at 01:21:37

Hi erik2a3!  I'm interested in your early experiences with the Mini, as I ordered mine mid January (along with the DM945 speakers), and I still have to wait a while for its delivery.  Evidently, having previous technical exposure, you have the opportunity to judge its performance relative to the other amps at your disposal.  So, keep the comments coming.  Congrats!

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
erik2a3
Seasoned Member

Reply #72 - 02/29/12 at 23:53:07

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Raduschka: you know, Roger Waters and other former associates have written songs that are downright emotional regardless of the lyrics.  Melodies rather than accompanying words seem to stick with most, and others, such as some of Brian Eno's 'Ambient Music' can be pretty intense in that respect.  She sounds like a nice and sensitive girl!

Hi, Lon and Riviereraranch!  erik6v6?  Not so bad I guess!  I used to listen to a pair of very vintage pp 6v6 monoblocks that sounded ok, yet not even close to the single-lunged Mini-Torii.  2A3s are just kind of like old friends, I guess, and what I use in my headphone amp.

Greetings Fireblade - well, I suspect I sort of anticipated a question along the lines of what you asked, but....whew....that one could take some time to answer, and would involve a bunch of revisiting amps and doing the best I could to conduct a reiable comparison between them.  I do have some technical background, and am able to explain some of what I hear relative to circuit topology, but must confess I've learned that a technical background and design experience don't always enable one to difinitively state in a universal sort of way what is better or worse.  This hobby is just very much too subjective for that, and it seems to me the best anyone can do is draw conclusions about personal preferences that very likely may not by shared by others.   As crazy as it sounds, because it probably is crazy -- is that I have amplifiers I prefer for different reasons and different kinds of music.  And I tend to go through listening phases where for some weeks I might really be into classical Baroque, and other times prefer Bill Bruford, King Crimson, Genesis, Yes, No, ( ok...bad joke!) or Miles Davis, Eberhard Weber or Segovia.  And Audioslave, Tool, Perect Circle, Dream Theater -- much harder stuff that to sound 'right' may be better with a harder hitting amp with characteristics that heavy a tight and controlled bass response.

Although the Mini-Torii is still new, I can say that it has a certain 'rightness' in terms of tone and evidently even-handed frequency response that, while at first seemed mildly rolled off on the top (think I have that one figured out) prompted me to share with the people at Lowther America that I think it's probably the best amp I have used with my beloved Lowther PM2As.  I have other amps that sound really good with them, but leave me thinking about a few things I may want to change in terms of perhaps mild reductions in feedback, interstage coupling capacitor selection (absolutely NOT necessarily more expensive -- I've learned a thing or two about that).  The Mini-Torri was so quiet I literally thought I had forgotten to connect the speakers.  With Lowthers, that's saying something.

Feel free to email about this if you like -- I worry I write too much sometimes.  

Have fun!
erik
  IP Logged
erik2a3
Seasoned Member

Reply #73 - 03/01/12 at 01:00:04

Fireblade:  Reading what I wrote above, I suspect I haven't helped answer your question.  Something I discovered with the Min-Torri, but have had hints of it in the past, is that one not need spend several hundred dollars on a pair of output tubes in order to get not only satisfactory, but amazing sound reproduction.  singe-ended triodes, and triode amps in general have a sort of cult-like following (not unlike lots of tubes, actually....we seem to gather in tribes!), but I have very, very expensive 2A3s that do not better, in their associated circuits, the Mini-Torri's 6V6.   Many of you might want avert your eyes, but I recently bought a small T-class amp that with some of the heavy mentioned above sounds pretty good.  What it makes me think about, though, particularly after talking briefly with Steve, is....well, the Mini-Torri's bigger, more powerful sibling.  That will be a bit down the road, because I am really enjoying the Mini-T!  I've got some old but still good output tubes to try that is going to be fun.

Have fun!
erik
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #74 - 03/01/12 at 13:36:35

Thanks for sharing those thoughts, erik2A3, I really enjoyed them.  In did not have a specific question, just an invitation to share your initial impressions, from the point of view of someone more versed than myself in this field and sharing the same amp.

I concur with your valid observation that everything, in the end, is personal and subjective.  Nevertheless, some of your statements already shed some light in my own conceptual image about the Mini Torii's strengths and weaknesses.

For someone looking for a do-it-all amp, like me, and willing to use it within a modest listening space, I chose the Mini-Torii (also suggested to me by Steve), because of it's versatility.  Your mentioning of the cult about SETs in general, is very true, to the point that have made me forget sometimes the reasons why I selected the Mini in the first place.

For the kinds of music I prefer, mostly classic be-bop jazz and classical (both orchestral and chamber music), I thought the Mini Torii could meet those requirements, if constrained within the physical dimensions of a small listening room.

Having pre-outs should also help with my subwoofer, a requirement for jazz listening and smaller (yet highly sensitive) speakers.  Beam tubes like the 6V6 are better at bass, too.  Best of both worlds also, as you have pointed out, the 6V6's being competitive with the best triode tubes out there.

Don't worry about writing too much, as for the interested parties in this forum, it is never enough!  Enjoy your Mini and keep us posted on new insights about it ...   Smiley

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
erik2a3
Seasoned Member

Reply #75 - 03/02/12 at 00:01:49

Indeed, the transformer-derived line level output of the Mini-Torii is the best I have found in terms of integrating a subwoofer.  The gain and impedance relationsip just fits the two very well.

I honestly know but a small fraction aout this than many, Fireblade.  I've learned a bit from focused research and reading, and what I have learned about myself in the process is that, the more I get into it the more I realize how much I don't know!  I have books about audio desgin that were written such a very long time ago, and find the extense of understanding back then really sort of mind boggling impressive.  So much of what is being done today has mostly been done before, yet the Mini-Torii, which was inspired by an old instrument amp, has traits incorporated by an insightful designer.

Nice bike, by the way!

Have fun!
erik
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #76 - 03/02/12 at 01:53:11

That's just fine, erik2A3, but you know more than I do about this, so I'm learning from you as I've from many knowledgeable people in this forum.  It's reassuring to confirm by your observations my expectations about the pre-outs for the SUB.

I also admire Steve's work, an uncommon talent indeed.  His articles, business model and the loyalty he has induced from the members of this forum convinced me to take the plunge into this peculiar and very special market niche.

Thanks for the compliments on my bike.  The one you saw earlier and this one (in my avatar) are just file photos.  Mine is a Pearl White 2009 model (exactly as the one in this avatar), but with several important mods and upgrades.  As you can see, I have these two passions Cheesy.

Take care ...

IP Logged
erik2a3
Seasoned Member

Reply #77 - 03/11/12 at 23:06:39

And so, the little Torii only gets better, teaching a very expensive pair of 2A3s just how good a single-ended amp can sound.  I had called and talked to Steve about a very minor rolling off of high frequency information, and while talking with him I suddenly remembered -- a bit to my chagrin -- the HF attenuator.  And this was indeed the issue.  A flip of the switch brought back amazingly clear and clean highs. Just a really superb amp!

We share the same 2nd passion!  I had an R6 years ago, sold for something more my age and speed, Cagiva Gran Canyon, and then sold that and saved for my dream, which has a boxer twin Cheesy

Have fun!
erik
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #78 - 03/12/12 at 01:57:40

I'm glad there were no real issues with the Mini Torii.  I'm ready to try mine as soon as it gets here!  My new USB/DAC (HRT MS II+) is sounding cool, better than I thought.  I can't wait.

Seems we share similar toys: The bike I had before this one was a 2007 candy apple YZF R1, great machine.  Two bikes before that one, and a mount I had for 5 years, was the 1997 BMW R1200C (boxer twin).  Reliable and very good handling, considering its weight and size.  Quite comfortable too.

After trying to catch up with some superbikes on the road, one day I decided I wanted that new thrill.  I hesitantly sold that BMW and bought a used (2001) CBR929RR, and never looked back.

Age is a concern for me too, as I'm not as eager to take risks as I used to.  So my current bike has seen less of my wild riding than the previous ones.  I may eventually give up on superbikes and get back to standards, but not anytime soon!  Ride safe!

IP Logged
erik2a3
Seasoned Member

Reply #79 - 03/13/12 at 14:16:47

You will love the Mini Torii.  In a short mount of time, it has distinguished itself very positively against much more expensive, not to mention much heavier amplifiers.  The first watt of this little gem is one heck of a civilized and refined first watt.  Kind of shatters the notion that the key to good sound in a valve amp is directly related to the size of its output transformers.

An R1? Fast!  Scary fast!  Be Safe!

Have fun!
erik
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #80 - 03/13/12 at 18:19:38

I hear you, and I'm so glad you appreciate it in that context of tough competition.  That's why I asked you to report on impressions.  Your experience and familiarity with similar amps is relevant.

The '09 CBR1000RR runs rings around my ex-R1.  Lighter, more available torque, better handling, faster acceleration.  Ignition module and Power Commander III help also, along with the full Akrapovic exhaust.  It's the best one I've ever had!

Enjoy your M-T!

IP Logged
erik2a3
Seasoned Member

Reply #81 - 04/01/12 at 22:11:33

I know many of you have done some tube rolling on the Mini T.  I woke up from a short Sunday afternoon nap (a rare luxury!), happened to glance over at my c. 1930s Philco Radio, and remembered it uses a pair of 6F6 outputs.  Thirty seconds later they were installed in the M. Torii.  Well, I have to say that it is really fine sounding!  I find the 6F6 sharper and very clean and clear, where, while still excellent, the 6V6 somewhat warmer, softer.  Next went in two of the four 6L6s that are residing in an amp I bought to rebuild into a dedicated stereo amplifier -- a 1950s vintage Baldwin organ amp.  Such an awesome and flexible little amplifier!  I do prefer the 6L6 or 6F6 types, particularly the latter.  So, this was just to share.

Have fun!
erik
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #82 - 04/02/12 at 17:37:18

Thanks for the tip.  I will be trying a couple combinations once my amp is broken-in.  There are several options in my short list.  We'll consider your suggestion.

IP Logged
erik2a3
Seasoned Member

Reply #83 - 04/03/12 at 01:21:14

Some don't care for the 6F6 type, Fireblade.  It is an older, just very neat as a vintage application, and the pair I happened to try had, for lack of a better way to describe it, a sort of purity of tone and clarity, at lower volumes, than did the particular 6V6s used before.  Also tried both 12au7 and the 12at7, and find the 12au7 not only quieter (I very much dislike background noise) but more delicate and resolving -- this with several CDs of classical guitar music.  For higher volumes and/or heavier music genres with more bass laden passages, a combination of 12at7 and perhaps 6l6 outputs might be really outstanding.  Have fun!

Have fun!
erik
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #84 - 04/03/12 at 02:53:41

Interesting.  I would try to settle on a unique driver (i.e., 12aU7), and identify two different pairs of output tubes that would work best for each of those two scenarios, respectively.  I would only switch output tubes depending on the type of music (scenario) involved in each session.

I'm not sure this approach is attainable, but it would be ideal to keep gain in control.  I know from literature (never have had any practical experience rolling tubes) that the 6L6's, as you pointed out, are 'bigger' sounding beam tetrodes than, for example, 6V6's.

For the finer material, 6F6's may be just the ticket, based on your findings.  I would hate to try-and-err without a plan, so I'm trying to rationalize the approach.  Does this make any sense?

IP Logged
erik2a3
Seasoned Member

Reply #85 - 04/03/12 at 11:36:30

Fireblade

If there is one thing I have learned about all of this is that there is not right or wrong or better or worse that can be applied universally.  This includes not only input and output tubesin the Mini Torii, but every aspect of listening to music at home.  It is fine for us to share our (highly subjective) impressions of components and elements of those components.  What is simply impossible is to apply or impose those impressions on one another as ultimate 'truths' in all instances.  Our hearing and processing of sound is just to individualized than that, regardless of the fact that the same anatomical structures are used.  Our response and opinions differ as much as preferences of food, beverage, art, or anything else.   The only mistake you can makemis try everything you might be interested in as far as valves for this amp, and based on that, perhaps select what seems to work the best in most instances.  I have a great aversion for statements and declarations I have found on forums where one individual will criticize the choice or tastes of someone else simply because thay aren't aligned with his or her own.

So play with your amp and enjoy the search!  It's ability to be personalized is one of its virtues -- and by all means continue to have fun in the process! Smiley

Have fun!
erik
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #86 - 04/03/12 at 16:50:15

"The only mistake you can makemis try everything you might be interested in as far as valves for this amp, and based on that, perhaps select what seems to work the best in most instances"

Why would this be a mistake?  I mean, we all know this is highly subjective.  But out of the significant number of possible alternatives, one has to try at least what seems to work for other people and maybe increase the probabilities of shortening the selection path.  It is certainly better than trying this on a blind draw.

On the general subject, though, I agree with you. Thanks.

IP Logged
Les Lammers
Seasoned Member

Reply #87 - 04/03/12 at 20:39:44

FB,

Our amps will be brand new and I plan to run it stock until it settles in.
I will go real slow rolling tubes until then. O.K. I'll likely plug in a pair of 350B, after 100 hours or so.

"The only mistake you can makemis try everything you might be interested in as far as valves for this amp, and based on that, perhaps select what seems to work the best in most instances"

The above can be a mistake because you will go broke and crazy...not necessarily in that order. Don't ask me how I know that. Wink

Les

IP Logged
erik2a3
Seasoned Member

Reply #88 - 04/03/12 at 23:38:37

Let me correct my incomplete first thing in the morning response: certainly I meant that the only mistake you can make is to NOT try,within reason, any ideas in the way of suitable tubes for this amplifier.  What I or anyone one else likes can be a start, but your ears are your ears and of course you must try for yourself.  Some find the old 6F6 soft compared to the 6v6 or 6l6, and may even question its use at all.  This is an example of the sort of imposing of ideas and opinions that I mentioned above.

Fireblade: your interest in getting the best possible you can from the Mini Torii is obvious and a very positive thing!  It's this kind of enthusiasm that is encouraging!

Have fun!
erik
  IP Logged
erik2a3
Seasoned Member

Reply #89 - 04/04/12 at 01:51:49

Mini Torii chassis has beem removed from wooden bass, and headphone jack will be installed tomorrow.  I must credit Decware for a very nicely wired little amp, with very clean lead dress and classisc ground buss.  textbook soldering, and quite a bit better than what I've seen from, surprisingly, well known companies.  Truly nicely done, and that makes me happy.  I've always used carbon comp resistors in grid stop positions, but the metal films off the wiper of the volume controls are doing just dandy.

In case some of you might ne interested: I know of an extremely quiet, tube rectified and regulated amplifier that is DEAD quiet with my Grado phones.  Wow.  I have a couple of others that are quiet, but the noise floor on this thing is just really amazingly low.  The gain seems perfect for the headphones.

I'm referring of course to the Mini Torii, and comparing it to an otherwise very highly regarded and well reviewed single ended amp, the Moth Audio si 2a3, which I still very, very much like to use from time to time with Klipshorns and Lowthers.  I'm sure some of you had the phone jack installed, but I didn't so will get that done tomorrow.

Thanks for doing such a nice wiring job on our Mini Torii!!! At times in the past I have cringed at work I have seen inside tube amps, despite the super snazzy looking exterior.

Have fun!
erik
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #90 - 04/04/12 at 02:39:54

Thanks for clearing that up, Erik.  Now it makes sense to me.  I think the key issue is finding tube rolling advice from experienced people sharing your same amp and somewhat similar setup, and whom you trust their ears/tastes, as a starting point.  The only way to ID them, is trying their suggestions once.

I appreciate the fact that you find the Mini Torii very quiet and that you are positively surprised by the quality of its craftsmanship.  All this is very reassuring for us.

BTW, presumably the Taboo is an even better option for headphone listening, especially if you intent this as the main application for the amp.  On the other hand, having an amp with so much flexibility as the M-T is very convenient.

Florida Boy, I think we're in for an amazing music sound adventure.  Let's keep the information flowing throughout the preliminary break-in and fine-tunning process ahead.  8-)

IP Logged
erik2a3
Seasoned Member

Reply #91 - 04/04/12 at 11:04:42

Fireblade

Sure, apologies for any confusion there. It was early and I was in a rush to get to school to get some things done before students arrived.  

I was just curious about the headphone application, and temporarily made an external jack plus ground off the speaker outputs.  Not sure if this will be its primary function in life, but it worked just dandy!  The amp internally is also very tweakable for those so inclined because, despite its multi-stage regulation and various switching functions, the circuit is fairly straight forward and wiring layout easy to follow.  One could even get into the sometimes kind of neurotic coupling capacitor rolling (like tube rolling but involves more work) and the values of capacitance are small.  That keeps costs down.  There are also a couple cathode resistor bypass capacitor positions I'm looking at, but, as I said mich earlier on, performance is just great as itmis right now.  Have a good day!

Have fun!
erik
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #92 - 04/04/12 at 15:26:28

Erik,

No apologies required.  Thanks for the inputs.  It must feel great to have the skills to be able to tweak the amplifier yourself, to your own tastes.  Take care now ...

IP Logged
erik2a3
Seasoned Member

Reply #93 - 04/04/12 at 23:30:06

Hi, Fireblade

Thanks for being an understanding sort of person.  It can be useful to tweak.....and sometimes something of a curse....and I have decided to leave as is except for the volume control addition.  The Mini Torii is already well balanced, quiet, and very musical.  I'll go find another amp or two I have that are actually broken and fix those!  Got some 6Y6 tubes today, but they have a bit of a higher filement current requirement.  Thus my interest in knowing the current availability withnthe stock M.T. Power transformer.  Tske care, erik

Have fun!
erik
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #94 - 04/05/12 at 11:25:55

Erik6Y6:

BE CAREFUL with those bottles! If your MINI TORII has the 6x4 rectifier, and the 6Y6's bias too high the rectifier could go. Look for an older thread on my experiences with this. The 6CA4 EZ81 rectifier can handle any 6Y6.

55   IP Logged
Les Lammers
Seasoned Member

Reply #95 - 04/05/12 at 22:02:30

Fireblade,

Here is how I scout tubes that I am not familiar with. Pick a tube, like RCA 6L6G, go to the Audio Asylum tube forum and search. You will find a lot of relevent info and some BS aka baseless opinion. Try it.

Les

IP Logged
erik2a3
Seasoned Member

Reply #96 - 04/05/12 at 22:52:01

Thanks for the heads up, Rivieraranch! I'll be sure to check into this before trying things out.  I appreciate it!

Edit: the main concern I had for the 6y6 had to do with its higher filament current.  That's what will cause some heat if if the power transformer is not up to the task.  To this end I had posted a request on this site for specs for the filament widning current rating.  I may to to reconfirm this, but if I remember right, the 6y6 filaments pull nearly three times the current of the of the 6v6.  If I like the 6y6 that much more, there may be space under the chassis to install dedicated filament transformers that are good for about 3A.  If plate voltage in the mini torii is siginificantly high with the 6y6, other circuit adjustments in the power supply can be made for it.

Have fun!
erik
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #97 - 04/05/12 at 23:03:53

Thanks for the tip, Les.  I'll check it out. Smiley

IP Logged
Raduschka
Seasoned Member

Reply #98 - 04/06/12 at 00:00:21

My mini torii sounds so realistic and transparent that now I can listen to music from another room Smiley I neurotically exchanged the plate caps for a pair of CuTf Vcaps and the resistors in the signal path for some  Shinkoh 2-watters, the stock fuse for a fancy one and bypassed the source selector. All this because I have had an annoying hiss in one of the channels and didn't feel like spraying the resistors with freeze-spray. Instead I am replacing the components one by one until it goes away.
It is getting crowded in there.
150 hours burn in and things sound impressively more transparent, to a point where I discover new elements on old timers such as Pink Floyd albums, which I know by heart.
Even my dear mother thought I was insane to try to improve upon my super amp from the States, but here it is, never having sounded better and me ever so curious to listen to my collection again and hear things for the first time. And ever so eager to get rid of that hiss...

IP Logged
Raduschka
Seasoned Member

Reply #99 - 04/06/12 at 00:43:46

and since I am at it, I would like to ask you all if you know of a way to install a headphone jack inside the amp without any additional switches in the signal path? A shunt type that would present a fake load to the output transformers and be switched on by inserting the headphones, or by a switch... I don't know enough electronics at this point to figure it out by myself. Any idea will be appreciated!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print