Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 22:23:21 

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Mini Torii SE Amplifier (Read 34563 times)
brians7
Verified Member

Mini Torii SE Amplifier
04/16/09 at 05:30:04

I recived my amp today.  And all I can say is wow!!  This little amp can easily replace my other amps.  With my Klipsch La Scala speakers I never felt like my Decware SE84CS amp never quiet had the musle to drive the 15in woofers in the speakers.   The Mini Torii has plenty of head room.  It sounds absolutly amazing and I have not had a better sounding amp.   I was trying to decided between this amp and a McIntosh MC2155.  I know that I made the right choice, because I have tried several Mac amp in the past and non of them sounded this good.    I know that steve doesn't like us talking about watts but I never felt like the 2 watts I got from my SE84CS was enough, but I know that how ever many watts this 3-6 whatever this amp has is plenty enough, to make me grin from ear to ear. And it sounds absoultly amazing! Wait a minute I already said that.  But it sounds absoultly amazing...  Brian

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Mini Torii SE Amplifier
Reply #1 - 04/16/09 at 10:52:14

Hey, thanks for weighing in B, I know many  have been waiting for a review!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 04/16/09 at 12:54:01

When you calm down, I would like to know what the impressions are between using a 6V6 and 6L6 in this amp and the different voltage regulator tubes.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #3 - 04/17/09 at 00:13:45

Brian: Interesting that the mini Torii seems to have more muscle than your Select. I've a Select myself, and have been wondering about the SE34-I, but your post has me wondering if the mini Torii might fill the bill.
Hmmm---!
Don

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 04/17/09 at 22:54:18

What about impressions of the different tube combos?

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
brians7
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 04/19/09 at 03:30:56

( Interesting that the mini Torii seems to have more muscle than your Select. I've a Select myself )         It doesn't seam to have more muscle.  It diffently has more.  I used Select with a pre-amp mostly and tried several times to use it without, but I was always wanting more power no matter how I used it.  I am using the mini torii without a pre-amp now and it doesn't seem to need a pre-amp at all.        

( What about impressions of the different tube combos? )       I have had no success with the 6L6.  I had a pair and tried to use them and only one worked.  One 6L6 lit up and played fine in one channel the other 6L6 didn't light up at all the other tubes did but nothing came out of the speaker so it must be a dud. I Put the 6V6 back in and no problem with the amp.  I have tried Westinghouse 6V6GT made in Canada.  My first impression the base is very tight and the highs are brighter than the tubes I am using now.  Which is 5992.  This tube still sounds very controlled in the base, and the highs are not quite as bright. It also has a little more mid range. They both have a very simular sound. I will try 6F6 and 6k6 tomorrow.   Brian

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 04/19/09 at 10:06:59

This is to me, Decware's most exciting amplifier.  I will be eager to follow this report.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 04/20/09 at 03:51:16

Nix the 6L6 for now, then.

Somebody please send him a pair of 6L6GC's so he can try the amp with them.

What about the input tube, can you use something other than the 12AU7?

55   IP Logged
brians7
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 04/20/09 at 07:30:09

I tried a pair of National Union 6F6GT with a pair of the OC3's.  The mid range seems a little relaxed not sweeter though.  And it hardly has any base compared to the 6V6.   If you turn up the volume you can get a little base out of it.  But with the 6V6 it was tight and full at any volume.  It looks like the 6V6 is the winner.  I will try the 6F6 with the OA3's to see of that helps with the base.  The input tube I am using is a RCA6189 black plate.  I ordered a set of Ruby 6L6's.  I love the ruby's EL34's in my VAC amp. Which is for sale on audiogon if anyone wants to buy it. Talk to yall later.  Brian

IP Logged
brians7
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 04/24/09 at 14:42:59

I put the OA3's back in with 6F6's some of the base retuned, but it still doesn't equal the 6V6's.  I am trying the RCA 1611 which is a 6F6 variant made for US Navy SOS transmitter.  The sound is very similar to the 6F6 maybe a little thinner and seems faster. Brian

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 04/25/09 at 15:08:07

I am interested in whether you can use another input tube other than the 12AU7.

Also, why are you futzin' around with those lame 6F6 variants. From what I have read the amp is better suited for the 6V6 and 6L6 family?

As to the lower vs. higher voltage regulator tubes how do they affect the sound with the 6V6 in place?

55   IP Logged
brians7
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 04/26/09 at 19:18:31

I got the Ruby's.  I used them with the OA3'S.  The amp has a much fullier and richer sound than with the 6F6's.  With most of the base retuning.  I will have to use the 6V6's again and compare it to the 6L6. The amp sounds pretty nurtral on its on, but with the 6L6's it is easier to tell that it is a tube amp.  With the 6V6 tubes it sounded very similar to a class A solid state amp.  One thing I forgot to mention the amp has been absolutliy dead quiet between tracks you would not even know that it was on.  Almost any other amp I have used had some noticable hiss or hum it was just something I though I had to live with being that my spekers are 104 db sensity.  Brian

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 04/27/09 at 04:03:43

I am curious whether an OD3 would help out with the bottom end. Also how would a regular 12AU7 sound on the input? I understand that the 6189 has a higher plate voltage. Can you use another input tube other than the 12AU7 family?

55   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13 - 05/01/09 at 14:26:14

Brian, are you enjoying/using the Treble Cut circuit?  I had this added to the Integrated Steve built me some weeks back and I find it very very very useful for musical enjoyment!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 05/02/09 at 19:48:07

Could you give us a Saturday update? Are those RCA 6189's triple micas?

55   IP Logged
frank
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 11/21/09 at 22:29:17

I now have more than a 1,000 hrs on my mini.....and
With more than 50 active years involvement in audio, I
feel this is the best sounding amp you can buy.
Plus you have an ability to play with the sound more than any amp
I know of. I am now trying Sylvania chrome domes 6v6's with OC3's....
great sound, very open....waiting on tunsol 6l6's. Tried ken rad metal
6l6...and OC3's...good bass...slightly thick....

THE BOTTOM LINE.....this is a world class amp of the greatest
that you can buy regardless of price.
THE ONLY amp I have seen that you can listen to..all day and every day and crave more....at least to this old fart's ears....;-)f

regards,
frank

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16 - 11/21/09 at 23:48:49

That's the way I feel about my Torii Mark II. Smiley  Decware has more than one excellent amp option!

IP Logged
frank
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 11/22/09 at 00:17:35

Sorry....you are so right..I also have a taboo and several other
works of art from Steve.....I was speaking somewhat in awe
of what I have been hearing. Having been blessed in life
I have owned many of the best......
I am fortunate to not have to work so I listen every day......
and this particular product has tripped my trigger better
than any I can remember......
"music lives forever, people don't, listen now.......;-)f

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #18 - 11/22/09 at 01:46:39

Hi Frank!  Welcome to the forums!  I couldn't be more pleased to see you drop in here.  As we've had several nice conversations over the years and I'm fully aware of your audio resume, the members here who don't yet know you will enjoy learning from your experiences.

For example, imagine the fix one would have from discovering that their special little $1500 amplifier actually sounds better than the "stereophile class A rated / best of show" amplifiers on the cover!  Trust me, it's a great natural high.

Also REGARDING INPUT TUBES for the MINI TORII,  the 12AU7/5963's that are shipped with the amp are just to get you warmed up.  I really voiced the amp around the 12AT7, and a great NOS 12AT7 in the Mini Torii simply kicks ass.

-Steve  [smiley=peanuts42.gif]

WWW   IP Logged
frank
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 11/22/09 at 18:09:54

Thanks Steve...you are so right about the 12at7's.....
currently using mullard's, which is my favorite
after trying various 12au7's and 12ax7's.
All I can say is there's something about this amp that enraptures
me and my feet can't stay still................
;-)f

I feel about audio as I do about photography...there's
a picture of your pre production statement pre amp insides
and pictures of arizona on my gallery.......

http://gallery.me.com/flaneb#100280

IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 11/22/09 at 20:04:32

"pre production" ? Steve you holdin out on us loyal DecFesters, or did I miss something? Undecided

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
frank
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 11/23/09 at 23:53:23

I will say, I have never heard a better pre amp......very unique with
special  construction; the output tubes are at the output jacks
also as with the mini torii....It is so transparent that the smallest
change anywhere in the chain can be heard.
I have always felt you could use the mini as a form of test equipment...

;-)f

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 11/24/09 at 13:22:35

The fidelity and presence that this unit gives the music is awesome. For example, if it is loud, I can go out of the music room and into the other part of the house and still hear wonderful, credible sound. I had a Paul Chambers Mosaic Select set playing and it seemed as if somebody was actually playing a trumpet in my music room.

55   IP Logged
frank
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 11/24/09 at 19:45:05

They are stacked for the picture.....I have not been able to find a better
combo......
regards
;-)f

IP Logged
frank
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 11/24/09 at 19:46:25

sorry I was unable to attach the photo.......
frank

IP Logged
Raduschka
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 04/11/11 at 01:10:50

Hello everyone,

I also happen to own a Mini torii now. I have had it here for a little over two weeks. It is such a strong presence in the house that I am not sure who has whom anymore, has it got me or have I got it? The living room is slowly being remorphed around its needs, now that I can finally hear music and understand what 70% of audiophile talk was about. All this time I have been hearing about veils being lifted from the music and I thought I knew what that meant.
I have just ordered a few pairs of tubes from the Tubestore.com (they are based in Ontario I think. Myself I am in Montreal) So by Tuesday I should be able to experiment with 0b3 and 0d3 voltage regulators and a pair of mullard 12at7.
So far I have been listening to a pair of 6v6 genalex (reissued) with the stock tubes (except for the 6X4 regulators, which I had to replace with something obscure, since one of the stock died out in the early hours). The Genalex felt so thin on the bass that I decided not to use them anymore and returned to the stock 6v6, which have tighter more present bass, albeit a less intriguing midrange. The Genalex I find sound particularly lush and detailed. The stock make rock music more interesting.
I tried a pair of (reissue) mullard 12ax7 and also tungsol 12ax7 and they were way too noisy. Gold pin Electro harmonix 12ax7 were dead quiet but a little uninvolving.
I built my own speakers. Audio Nirvana 10 inchers, they must have a 96db sensitivity. Their design is pretty forward and my patience is vast, so they are extremely well built and performing to specs.
Now I wish I could manage to post a pic, I don't seem to work out the protocol...
here : http://www.flickr.com/photos/61617415@N02/5608265188/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61617415@N02/5620701732/lightbox/

IP Logged
Raduschka
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 04/11/11 at 01:35:04

...can anyone please tell me if I can switch between the 0a3 and the other voltage regulators without any further consideration? Like I said, I ordered a pair of 0c3 and od3s. Thank you

IP Logged
Raduschka
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 04/14/11 at 02:42:44

after extensive listening I can confirm that a pair of nos RCA 0d3 regulators have made the bass much fuller, more present, easily audible, in one word: satisfying. It is not an issue anymore. The sound is indeed punchy and resembles a solid state amp, as much as beautiful tubes can resemble that. I am using that comparison to say that it offers the best of the two worlds, it would be more exact to say that it sounds like a well built tube amp:-)
I was worrying that perhaps some detail and midrange had been lost after the addition of the bass, but I believe now that it was a mere belief ( along the lines: hmmm, the bass is too good, surely I can't have it all). But
it turns out I can.

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #28 - 04/14/11 at 14:24:32

Raduschka,

Sorry I didn't see your post earlier, couldn't have helped you with your question anyway, maybe that is why no one else responded.....

Is the Torri new, or a used purchase. If new then the bass will go in and out as well as every other aspect of the amp until it burns in.

Welcome to the forum...
ZYGI

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Raduschka
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 04/14/11 at 19:20:22

thank you ZYGI,

my Mini torii is brand new, I have had it for two or three weeks. Is it still settling in? I noticed the bass going in and out and up and down...

but with a pair of 0d3 instead of the 0a3 the bass became a lot more present and full, whereas before it was...thin. I do have to think hard to put words on those perceptions..

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #30 - 04/14/11 at 22:38:51

I have a hard time putting things into words as well...and English is my native language.

The amps will do that, I found that once the mini is broken in and well seasoned, you can't make the bass sound bad. It doesn't seem to care what load you put to it, its spot on.

Your links to your photos are private, I can see them.....

ZYGI

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Raduschka
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 04/15/11 at 03:23:48

hello again Rivieraranch,

I can now say that all things equal, the 0d3 are the regulators that make the amp sound best for me, they make it keep Steve's promise of great bass lines that you can follow easily. They saturate the sound in a way that makes the amp sound 'big', in my understanding of the word. They make it sound like my 70 watt jolida, but without the crap.
The only regulator I haven't tried yet is the 0c3.
Also, placing little pieces of rubber between the spikes and the floor helped a lot with the low end.

Regards
Radu

IP Logged
mac5u
Ex Member

Reply #32 - 04/17/11 at 17:27:47

Raduschka,

Which Jolida 70 watt amp do you have?  Is it the 801A?  If so, I am curious about the "crap" you are hearing versus what you are hearing in the Mini Torii as I have the 801A as well.

Thanks.

IP Logged
Raduschka
Seasoned Member

Reply #33 - 04/17/11 at 18:10:41

hello Mac5u, I didn't mean to put down YOUR Jolida, I was just referring to mine... I guess now I have to stand behind my words. I know someone who has the Joilda 801...B I think, anyway, the version that has the bias pots on the bottom rather than the top. His was heavily modified (point to point internal silver wiring and everything else you can read about on Bill Baker's Response Audio site). He uses vinyl and is quite happy with the sound (driving a pair of hungry dynaudios).
I have the A version, with the pots on top and no modification other than selector pot bypass directly to volume pot, which made one hell of a difference in imaging capabilities.
So, on to the 'crap'. And I mean this with a grain of salt.
I used to drive a pair of Triangle Antal xs speakers with it. Those retailed for 3000$ new and won the diapason d'or back in 2003 or so, maybe 2002.  The Jolida could not get the bass right under any circumstance.  It was inarticulate when there was a lot of it in the recording, and absent when there was just enough to be reproduced. I had way more bass in my akg headphones and was going: ah, so this is the bass line of this song! Could not hear it in the system. Everything else seemed to be so so with the Jolida. In and of  itself it did a decent job of imaging (after the selector pot was taken out of the way). The midrange was ok, highs were ok, music was powerful. Rock music sounded good. I listened to it then on my Audio Nirvana 10inchers and I am selling both my Triangle speakers and my Jolida. After I got the Audio Nirvana, the Triangles sound as if I covered the Nirvanas with a thick wool blanket, and I am not exaggerating. After I got the Mini Torii, the Jolida sounds kind of the same. The imaging on the Mini Torii is simply incomparable, so are the timbre, the bottom end, the midrange, the highs etc etc.... What can I say? The Jolida hits hard, but the torii hits right.  I suppose I could use Steve's idea of the first watt that sucks. Some people buy the Jolida for around 700 $ (the aforementioned person got his for 800$ after full modification, which must have cost around 1000$ by itself) . I heard that they sound good once modified, but why bother when you can get a mini torii for exactly the same price for which  I bought my Jolida new, that is 1500$. of course here in Canada the torii ended up costing 1800$.
If the Jolida was a steal in terms of price, I would not be harsh on it, but it camoflages itself as high end and I find it deceiving. I still like my hybrid Jolida 301 or so, which retails for 400$ and which some would call crap. I like the way it sounds for the money Smiley

With the 801 it is the opposite.
I am sure there are a million products out there falling in all of these price per value categories. And it is all pretty relative, as I am sure the Mini Torii can be improved upon. In terms of sound, yes.

I regret having used the term crap, I was eager to put down what had let me down. I thank my Jolida 801 for a few nights of pleasure and as we part I will not regret the many hours of trying hard to make out the bass lines on old Genesis albums.
ps: if you have power hungry speakers you can try cheap effective and fantastic sounding fullrange drivers from Audio Nirvana, commonsense audio, David Dicks is a great guy to email questions to. You can build your cabinets easily and cheaply and they are so simple that you can't go wrong.

IP Logged
Raduschka
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 04/17/11 at 18:28:00

...the Torii sounds transparent in comparison with the Jolida. You can hear subtle differences. For exemple, a mono recording of the Miles Davis quintet (I can't find it in my massive pile of cd's unfortunately). I tried to listen to it on the Jolida. It sounded like a blob of undifferentiated sound between the two speakers. Yes, I could tell it was music, but could not listen to it. I thought, surely this is a poor recording, and even remastered as it is, they could not improve it much. I was wrong. On the torii it sounded just right and I could tell one saxophone from another and from the trumpet, the bass from the drum etc and I was not even missing the stereophony because the 'soundstage' was coherent even in mono. I call that a huge improvement.
The zen kit was doing that well too. However I prefered the Jolida to the zen kit on a number of recordings, as the Zen was lacking bass, especially on the hungry not so sensitive Triangles, and the Jolida sounded big, good for Karkwa, Bashung etc, rock bands.
The torii sounds right with mostly anything, although I wish it had Jolida's BIG sound sometimes.
Can you tell it's raining and I have nothing else to do today? Smiley

IP Logged
mac5u
Ex Member

Reply #35 - 04/18/11 at 00:55:32

No need to apologize for anything at all, Raduschka.  You hear what you hear and your experience is what it is.  I have had the Jolida 801A for three year now.  It is the one with the bias pots on the bottom; really, the most ridiculous design!  As you know, to bias it, one must turn it over, and since there are three transformers, I use a coffee can as the fourth leg.  Each time I need to bias this thing, I think to myself it is time to get a new amp.

Regarding the big sound of the Jolida, remember you are comparing a 70 watt tube amp to a 4 watt tube amp.  At a certain point , no matter how good the amp might be, in my view, 4 watts isn't going to cut it in every situation.  (Now donning flame suit).  

I was going to have Bill Baker mod mine but one delay led to another and by the time I was ready, Bill stopped doing mods on it so he could concentrate on his own amps.  So, maybe it is not such a bad thing that he stopped doing mods.  It makes for a compelling reason to consider either the Mini Torii or the Zen Torii Mk III.  

The only thing stopping me on the Mini Torii is the idea of re-tubing the amp.  I like the idea of tube rolling; this amp takes that idea to an extreme and for me, might be a distraction.  

Anyway, thank for describing the differences you are hearing between the two amps.  Next time, I turn over that
!@#$ Jolida to bias it, maybe the next thing I do after that is order a Decware amp.  

IP Logged
Raduschka
Seasoned Member

Reply #36 - 04/18/11 at 03:19:46

I can't think of a worse idea than placing bias pots on the bottom of a huge and heavy amplifier. It has to be running on top of everything, connected to the speakers and everything.....
Do you have the budget for the zen torii mk3? If I hadn't wasted my money on a zen kit and a bunch of useless stuff I would have gotten one of those I guess, but I always think the next purchase will sound better, it is time for me to enjoy what I have, especially since I now have a really great amp!!!!!
I don't really see how the tube rolling would put you off, plus I am sure the mk3 is just as sensitive to it as the mini torii. If you can hear the subtle differences between tubes it means that the rest of the amp is that good, that transparent. With the Jolida I would switch tubes and cables and hear no difference, not such a good sign.
I was hesitant to build my own speakers since I was afraid I would have to play forever with the damping, afraid I would get it wrong and always wonder if my speakers could sound better if made by a professional. None of that has subsisted, I know now from experience how damping affects sound and feel responsible for part of my sound, as if I had cooked myself a good meal rather than have my grandmother expertly but secretly prepare it for me.
Tube rolling could get expensive and out of hand, but if done responsively it is a source of guiltless pleasure. I am discovering it now, because my set up allows it.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/61617415@N02/5629720211/lightbox/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/61617415@N02/5631091661/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61617415@N02/5631779780/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61617415@N02/5631196141/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61617415@N02/5642238854/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61617415@N02/5642238072/lightbox/

IP Logged
mac5u
Ex Member

Reply #37 - 04/20/11 at 01:14:16

Not to hijack the thread any further so one final comment about the Jolida 801A.  I have the manual and confirmed the model through Jolida using the serial # before I bought it.  The model I have is the 801A with the bias pots on the bottom. I read somewhere the B version is the an updated 801A after Jolida wised up and put the pots on the top.  I'll respond to your PM a bit later.

With respect to tube-rolling, I am not saying it wouldn't be fun.  For me, with certain time constraints and all the possible configurations to try, well, it would be a distraction because I can be impatient.  

The Decware forums have gotten more interesting lately with new members posting experiences and some of the old regulars chiming in with their own experiences or helpful suggestions and new product introductions.  

Back to our regularly scheduled programming.

IP Logged
Raduschka
Seasoned Member

Reply #38 - 04/22/11 at 03:23:16

_MG_3238 par raduschka, sur Flickr

mini t par raduschka, sur Flickr

_MG_3031 par raduschka, sur Flickr

_MG_3233 par raduschka, sur Flickr

_MG_3039 par raduschka, sur Flickr

_MG_3229 par raduschka, sur Flickr

Capture par raduschka, sur Flickr

IP Logged
Raduschka
Seasoned Member

Reply #39 - 04/27/11 at 23:10:10

Hello,
does anyone have any experience with Cifte Mazda 12au7 tubes in the Mini torii? I am using them now and they sound particularly detailed, with remarkably extended highs. I keep comparing them to Mullard 12at7 and they both sound great. I think I prefer the Cifte for their capability to reveal detail in the music and the Mullard for their overall tone. Can anyone please tell me how many hours it takes to break in an input tube? That is, to make sure I am listening to the tube at its 100%.
Thank you

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #40 - 04/28/11 at 00:25:28

Somebody commented favorably on them a while ago. They should be broken in after a few hours.

55   IP Logged
Raduschka
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 04/28/11 at 00:31:36

Thank you!

IP Logged
Raduschka
Seasoned Member

Reply #42 - 04/28/11 at 01:48:11

Genalex - Gold Lion 6V6GT / CV511 reissue (80$ for the pair)
sound really uninvolving compared directly with the stock JJ that were on the Mini Torii (and which cost around 25$ the pair here in Canada). The JJ have punch and a sweet midrange, the Genalex have nothing special to them.
They sound nasial and unnatural in my system.
My experience.

IP Logged
Raduschka
Seasoned Member

Reply #43 - 04/28/11 at 02:00:13

IP Logged
Raduschka
Seasoned Member

Reply #44 - 05/02/11 at 21:19:29

Achtung achtung all of you,
I have received in the mail my 2 pairs of Duende Criatura tube rings. Yes, in my setup, and I do not see why it would be particularly prone to vibrations of any kind, they make a huge difference. And one desirable difference that is. I had time to relisten to a murky sounding cd I tried to listen to yesterday. With the rings in place on the 12at7 and the 6v6 I realized that there was nothing wrong with the recording (Sephardic Romances on Naxos). Timbre, soundstage, they turned out to be absolutely alright, whereas yesterday the voices sounded nasial, the strings had a weird ring to them and it was impossible to tell where everything was placed. Another visible difference, I can now turn up the volume and the sound remains palpably clean.
Not inexpensive at 100$ for 2 pairs, but very interesting per se, apparently sturdy and indestructible, backed up by 15 years of existence.
In my experience they live up to their official claims of cleaning up the soundstage and tightening the bottom end. I haven't yet tried to listen with only 1 pair in place, some say that there is a danger of overdamping the tubes and thus making the amp sound less musical. The mechanics of that elude me and I do not like to believe in things that I don't understand, but I will keep you posted if my experience confirms any of that.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #45 - 05/02/11 at 22:48:10

Raduschka,

Thanks for sharing your impressions. I believe that these could work very well because they are similar in important ways to the Herbie's Audio Lab "Tube Dampers" that I use in my system. They really "focus" the sound. Pricing for Herbie's best is similar as well.

IP Logged
Raduschka
Seasoned Member

Reply #46 - 05/05/11 at 18:06:49

Hello everyone,

I own an isolation transformer and it has a rather thin power cord, while the rest of my system is fueled through thick gauge power cables. It seems a little odd to to see two thick power cables drawing current through a thin cheap cable from the wall outlet.
Do you think I should fit the transformer with a thick gauge power cable and quality plug?
My knowledge of isolation transformers is so limited that I depend on a kind opinion from you.
Thank you
Raduschka

IP Logged
Raduschka
Seasoned Member

Reply #47 - 05/08/11 at 18:01:50

is there a quick fix for radio interference? I have had for the past 2 weeks an intermittent whistling noise in the background.
What have I done now to deserve this...:-)

Thick cable on the Tripp Lite: much better bottom end.

IP Logged
Raduschka
Seasoned Member

Reply #48 - 05/08/11 at 20:08:08

I traced back the interference problem to my new nos philips blackplate 6x4 (rats...). Is there a way to keep using them without the high pitched noise? Is there a way to shield them?
Thank you

IP Logged
tybee
Verified Member

Reply #49 - 05/21/11 at 15:15:46

As I have described in other places on this forum,  I have been searching for the best combo of tubes in the MT for my system.  Recently, I placed a pair E80CC input tubes along with a pair of Mazda 6x4 rectifiers in the MT and I am hearing much better synergy in my system.  When I have used the Mazdas in the past in other equipment, I was impressed with the bass response and these tubes are improving the bass of the MT.  I had forgotten that I had the E80CC tubes, a sort of a super 12AU7.  

Now, it is time to look at some other 6V6 power tubes to squeeze out some additional tone.  Any recommendations?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print