Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 09:36:04 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Entertainment Center Imp (Read 7005 times)
Cupajoe
Verified Member

Entertainment Center Imp
03/30/09 at 03:21:40

I've been researching the imperial for a while now,and what I was thinking of doing was making a home theater setup by laying down 2  imperials,with the horn openings butted together in the center. The TV,center channel and electronics would go on top.
A different spin to this would be to put two 8 or 10" full range drivers on top at the far ends ( in the compression chambers ) and have a reflector above each one.(see a post in the imperial support forum p.2 by Buzz called "stereo imperial-picture")
Quote;

(Steve gave me the idea one day when he mentioned that he had played around with using a cd to horizontally disperse the sound of an up-firing driver. I then tried all sorts of speaker arrangements using various 'reflectors' in the coming months. In my tests I was blown away to hear the 'hyper-stereo' imaging in this arrangement. If you want to hear the effect yourself, turn your drivers 90 degrees away from your listening spot and use LP covers as reflectors. The real magic happened when I bowed or curved the cardboard covers. The transformation was absolutely stunning...  from a beamy driver, with my head locked in a vise to get imaging, into speakers with a HUGE sweet-spot!)

I was planning  on putting together a 5 or 7 channel amp to drive each individual speaker(the z kit 2-- 1 channel per driver)
1 channel for the center, 1 ea. for the left and right full range, then either  two or 4 channels for the 4- 15"drivers(2 Peavy Scorpions, and 2 Goldwoods) for the left and right Imps.I'm just wondering if 1 channel will have enough spank or headroom per 2-15"er???
What do you think?  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Entertainment Center Imp
Reply #1 - 04/03/09 at 02:39:26

Intriguing!  You might have a really great sounding system!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Valiant

Reply #2 - 04/03/09 at 12:50:55

Hey Cupajoe it would be great but I think the vibrations from the Imperials may upset the DVD player and or TV. You would have to be careful to isolate those devices with moving parts from mechanical contact  with the Imperial. I even had problems with the cd player skipping from just the sound pulse and the player was out of the line of fire. Sitting it on a layer of dimple foam helped.
Gaz

IP Logged
Cupajoe
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 04/09/09 at 02:38:10

Valiant,
Thanx for the reply.
I've read your posts on the Imperials you've made and found it to be interesting reading. In particular the Imp 1/2's. If I remember right the woofers were both matched,correct?
This might be a rhetorical question and wouldn't work,but........
if I took one peavy scorpion on the left and one goldwood on the right,( both in the bottom position )  do you think there would be too much seperation to blend properly?
Also,in response to your post-----working on the problem of vibration on the components----it's a problem I would love to work on, because at this point I'm only dreaming---I hope to do a build in about 6 months. We'll see.
Bob

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print