Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 07:56:56 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
So has anyone successfully built an 8" version? (Read 898 times)
OldJunk
Ex Member

So has anyone successfully built an 8" version?
03/22/09 at 06:04:24

I just picked up a killer looking oem 8" sub. I think its made by Emminance. Any way I have no clue how to modify the plans so I could really use some help to do this right.

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Re: So has anyone successfully built an 8" version?
Reply #1 - 03/22/09 at 14:25:12

OldJunk,

I have never built it this way, so I don't  know how successful it might be.....  but all you need to do is multiply all the dimensions by .8 except for the driver cutout that would be determined by the driver itself.

BobZ

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
dk_KBjoern
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/22/09 at 22:26:03

Wouldn't it be more correct to scale a speaker by calculating the volume by 0.8 and then scale the dimensions afterwards to match that volume approximately?

Multiplying all 3 dimensions by 0.8 will result in a much to small volume!

An alternative, but maybe even more correct method could be to calculate your speakers needed volume with WINISD (google it) and then design the DB according that.

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Re: So has anyone successfully built an 8" versio
Reply #3 - 03/23/09 at 00:04:36

DK,

You are correct to some degree, If I had an 8" driver that might be what I would do.  You have to remember there are some 12 inch drivers that only need 1 cubic ft., 8 inch drivers only needing 1/2 cubic ft.  which could mean that with the tuneablity of the death box it could work very well.

The beauty of the death box you can tune the box on the fly and then lock it into place once you have it were you and your driver like it.

Just a thought,
BobZ

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #4 - 04/23/09 at 15:12:22

I have run 8" sub in the standard DB with good results. The sub I used had about 12mm X-max, which (I think) is the reason for good results. If the sub you are using has less than 8mm X-max you will prolly need to scale the DB for the best results. Just my two cents.

HT-EXT

" I TRY TO THINK BUT NUT'EN HAPPENS! " CURLY
  IP Logged
swimfanbass
Ex Member

Re: So has anyone successfully built an 8" versio
Reply #5 - 05/11/09 at 02:38:30

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print