Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 19:26:04 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Low Level Sound from HDT (Read 6810 times)
KarlGranat
Ex Member

Low Level Sound from HDT
03/20/09 at 12:29:07

I have an awkward problem with hearing loss.  It is made worse by high sound levels.

How do the HDT's sound at low sound levels- that is, what is their detail like at low volume levels?  Are there any better speakers if I am looking at listening to music at low volume settings?

Thanks!

Karl Granat

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Re: Low Level Sound from HDT
Reply #1 - 03/20/09 at 22:07:54

Hi Karl,

Welcome to the forum....

The HDT's have great detail at lower levels, at the same time you want just a bit of distance between you and the speaker,  sound presure levels drop to 1/2 its value as the distance from the source is doubled. I think detail does pretty much the same thing.

On the other hand, the ERR's could be placed close enough to your chair that you could place your hands on top of both speakers and you would think they were 7 ft in front of you. The advantage to doing this, as close as you would be, the volume would be very low and you wouldn't loose any detail due to distance.

Just a thought.....

BobZ

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Reply #2 - 03/20/09 at 23:53:37

Gotta agree with Bob here

The HDTs are very clear sounding speakers, but I find that they like my farther to the rear seat position than my closer one. The ERR's really don't care how close you get. I actually stood right on top of one before I heard a significant difference in sound. You can literally sit between them and still get a lot of image.

That would be my bet for a lower volume listening experience for sure.

Take care,
Robert

The graveyard is full of important men
musgofasa   IP Logged
KarlGranat
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/21/09 at 07:21:06

Thanks folks!

This advice is consistent with some older posts that I have found.

Karl

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print