Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #23300 - 05/18/23 at 19:50:03

Yes. Beethoven is fascinating--I used to listen with my Dad a lot. Liszt did piano transcriptions of all nine symphonies that we both listened to over and over.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23301 - 05/18/23 at 20:02:34

From the shelves

Re-visiting disc 1 of this 2 cd set. Dusty Groove had it very cheap so I bought another copy for my best friend, avant-garde trumpeter Dave Lackzo who likes Brazilian music as much as I do.

Moacir Santos "Oro Negro"

Santos was a great arranger and he just has his own way of applying texture that I admire.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23302 - 05/19/23 at 16:42:40

I listened to "Oro Negro" again--it was really sounding great. Adventure Music is a label to trust for great sounding releases.

Now on to
"The Complete CBS Studio Recordings of Woody Shaw" disc 1

From the shelves

IP Logged
PDXDrew

Reply #23303 - 05/20/23 at 02:50:19

Great song.... First time O've heard it.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23304 - 05/20/23 at 20:01:14

MIles Davis "Jazz at the Plaza" Sony lp facsimile 20bit SBM cd.

I have several versions of this, and decided to play this one today. . . though this is not the best recording, with wonky stereo artifacts, the music is outstanding. Cannonball plays two awesome solos here.

From the shelves.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23305 - 05/20/23 at 20:26:35

From the shelves

Shirley Horn, "I Love you, Paris" Gitanes cd

Noted for her singing. . . she was a wonderful pianist.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23306 - 05/21/23 at 15:31:35

Gaia Wilmer "Folia – The Music Of Egberto Gismont" disc 2

Reminiscent in ways of the recent work of Hermeto Pascoal. Brisk and bright, a good morning experience.

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23307 - 05/21/23 at 16:31:59

Omar Sosa & NDR Big Band "ES: Sensual"

This disc makes my system sing!

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #23308 - 05/21/23 at 22:15:11

After planting trees all afternoon….finally getting a chance to sit down and relax to some Stan Getz.  Currently streaming in Roon in CD quality.  I can listen to almost anything from this saxophonist.  

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23309 - 05/21/23 at 23:07:44

Back to music for me, too.
I find myself playing another European issue, it seems.

All Miles, The Prestige Albums, but this is not the widely lauded Box Set

Going with "Bags Groove" from this collection to warm things up.

All_Miles_The_Prestige_Albums.jpg

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #23310 - 05/21/23 at 23:34:32

Decided to switch gears and go with some Spanish guitar music.  One of the most notable is Paco de Lucia and a favorite.  Streaming Cancio’n Andaluza in Roon in CD quality.  

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23311 - 05/22/23 at 00:54:00

Well, it basically is the earlier box set (identical sonically I am told) just in new budget packaging and in LP sequences.

Such timeless music. And "Bag's Groove" is perhaps one I reach for more often than others.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23312 - 05/22/23 at 03:35:43

They do sound really good.
Concord and Italy, EAN number, etc. An odd mixed bag, in some ways. The "Steamin,"  "Walkin,"  and  "Collector's Items" discs all have ''Manufactured in London'' on the CDs and yet everything else is identical to the rest.

I'll probably get through the entire collection before I move to the next.
I'm just in a Miles groove, right now.

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23313 - 05/23/23 at 19:38:54

From the shelves

Joyce "Astronauta – Songs Of Elis" Blue Jackal cd

This was the first Joyce disc I ever bought, and it's a good one. What a band!

The system has been sounding fantastic this month. What a joy to have a resolving, involving system.

Acoustic Guitar – Dori Caymmi, Romero Lubambo
Bass, Producer – Rodolfo Stroeter
Design, Graphics, Layout – Marcílio Godoi
Drums – Tutty Moreno
Grand Piano – Mulgrew Miller, Renee Rosnes
Saxophone – Joe Lovano

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23314 - 05/24/23 at 19:03:40

A beautiful Shirly Horn album. (There are so many!)

Shirley Horn "You Won't Forget Me"

This one has guest stars, including Miles, Branford, Wynton and Toots.

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23315 - 05/24/23 at 19:31:58

From the shelves

Duke Ellington "1950-1951" Chronogical Classics cd

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23316 - 05/24/23 at 21:09:41

Moving along, a newer disc of old music collections.

I have a prideful lot of his LPs and often CDs don't measure up well, but this from '99, is not bad at all.

Lionel_Hampton_40_Classic_Performances.jpg

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #23317 - 05/25/23 at 00:06:57

Was in the mood for some piano and decided to listen to some Red Garland.  Nice background music while I chill out.  He’s got some nice albums…and this one doesn’t disappoint.  Streaming in Roon as a Qobuz Flac file at 192/24 bit.  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23318 - 05/25/23 at 01:57:19

Yes, that's a good one--it was his very first session as a leader, recorded while he was still with the Miles Davis Quintet.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #23319 - 05/25/23 at 02:41:08

Interesting …. I did not know that.  I have like 7 of his albums saved, and this one definitely stands out!

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #23320 - 05/25/23 at 02:56:19

Thanks to Lon….I’ve been listening to more Lester Young these days.  Just added this one to the catalog….and it’s damn good.  The wife really enjoys this album as do I.  

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23321 - 05/25/23 at 19:03:44

Good one, Dominick!

Lon has inspired me a few times as well. I probably do not give him enough credit for the direction much of my collection has taken.

I pulled out all the Tina Turner I can find, in honor.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23322 - 05/25/23 at 19:42:45

Lester Young was such a fascinating person. He was a true innovator and "influencer" in jazz, he came from a musical family and his brother was an excellent drummer, and his band leader father also taught Ben Webster, another unique stylist of the tenor saxophone. Lester was also a unique person. He is credited with introducing some popular slang into the world.

I think I have over 90 percent of the recordings that Lester Young has made. I was pretty obsessively collecting his work in the 'nineties.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23323 - 05/25/23 at 20:16:25

From the shelves
Quarteto Jobim Morelenbaum

Acoustic Guitar, Vocals – Paulo Jobim
Cello – Jaques Morelenbaum
Piano, Vocals – Daniel Jobim
Vocals – Paula Morelenbaum

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23324 - 05/26/23 at 01:07:37

Did not meant to sound like a wagon jumper, but my wife loved Tina so much, I had to play all I had and much of what I could find online.

My wife was a gymnast, but maybe a little "jealous" of a dancer's legs. As with many women. She'd be the first to admit, btw. Just an aside.
Grin

Continuing on with these newly acquired collections.
Some Jazz Masters for a bit. So many of these.

IP Logged
Andrew77
Verified Member

Music heals the soul

Reply #23325 - 05/26/23 at 01:55:55

Been exploring the albums of Bill Evans Trio and Art Blakey lately.  Last week there was one night last week the entire room fell away and I swear I could have been sitting in front of Bill Evans and team.  I dared not move or even breath or it would all crumble away.  I think it was Waltz for Debby, but can't be sure.  Many of these are first time listens for me.

The local Jazz festival is coming up the end of June so I have been listening to some of the performers as well.  Looking forward to Snarky Puppy, but really enjoying the sounds of Angelique Kidjo.

Image is of recently liked albums.  

I had previously liked a Moanin' mono release... this was the stereo.  Both great, but so different.  I love the dynamics of the mono, but crave the immersion of the stereo.  Fun stuff.

1Screenshot_2023-05-25_204733.png

The Zen TORII MK4 // WiiM Pro Plus /w Tidal // Klipsch RP-600M
WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23326 - 05/26/23 at 15:10:21

From the shelves

Mario Adnet "+ Jobim Jazz" Adventure Music cd

The followup to "Jobim Jazz" and just as great, perhaps a bit more so as the songs are a bit less "famous." Great sound as usual for Adventure Music.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23327 - 05/26/23 at 15:36:34

From the shelves

"The Chicago Experiment" Ropeadope cd

Greg Spero (pianist/producer), Jeff Parker (guitar), Darryl Jones (bass), Irvin Pierce (tenor sax), Makaya McCraven (drums), Marquis Hill (trumpet), Joel Ross (vibraphone).

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23328 - 05/26/23 at 16:23:11

From the shelves

Tom Harrell "Labyrinth" RCA Victor cd

Arranged By – Tom Harrell
Bass – Larry Grenadier
Bass Clarinet – Gary Smulyan
Drums – Billy Hart
Oboe – Rob Botti  
Piano – Kenny Werner, Tom Harrell (one track)
Shaker, Congas, Cowbell – Leon Parker
Tenor Saxophone – Don Braden
Trombone – Steve Turre  
Trumpet, Flugelhorn – Tom Harrell

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #23329 - 05/27/23 at 06:39:35

Hot off the Press!!  Just received Aerosmith’s Greatest Hits on Vinyl and had to play it.  This also signifies my first playback after hooking my the Zen Sister amps in a mono configuration.  

All  can say is that I was floating on cloud nine.   The extra volume I get from the mono setup works exceptionally well with my vinyl rig.  I was able to really push them to the point where it was beyond normal listening levels and I was not past 3 o’clock on the volume dials.   Still need to send the one amp back for a full upgrade, and yes…I do hear a difference in tone between the left and right channel, as well as pushing one amp a bit higher than the other.  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23330 - 05/27/23 at 13:44:51

From the shelves

Helen Merrill "Carousel"

A chill pill that is welcome this morning.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23331 - 05/27/23 at 14:24:07

From the shelves

"Helen Merrill With Friends In Yachiyoza"

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23332 - 05/27/23 at 15:22:01

"The Complete Roulette Dinah Washington Sessions" Mosaic Records disc V

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23333 - 05/27/23 at 16:34:43

From the shelves

I'm spinning this disc one more time.

Count Basie "April in Paris" Verve  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23334 - 05/27/23 at 17:17:35

From the shelves

Stan Getz "Sweet Rain" Verve cd

A beautiful release. Maybe one day they'll reissue this with the additional material that circulates among collectors.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23335 - 05/28/23 at 16:15:01

From the shelves

Raul De Souza "Sweet Lucy" Capitol/EMI Japan cd

Funky, touch of disco, but Raulzinho can do no wrong at this time.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23336 - 05/28/23 at 17:42:21

Kenny Burrell "Laid Back" 32Jazz cd

A great compilation that lives up to its title. Wow. Kenny is such a great player.

I also love how the title printed on the cover has a guitar body curve.

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23337 - 05/28/23 at 20:59:02

From the shelves

Bill Evans "Live At Keystone Korner 1980 Vol 4"
Solid Records Japan cd

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23338 - 05/28/23 at 22:00:16

The Chicago Experiment: Revisited

From the shelves

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23339 - 05/29/23 at 04:32:21

I am streaming a carefully constructed playlist of music my wife will not object to nor in any way will it interfere with her sleep while I am winding down after the race day activities and heading to bed.

Mostly piano or vocal, not any horn music. She won't sleep with horns.
Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23340 - 05/29/23 at 13:24:42

From the shelves.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23341 - 05/29/23 at 13:55:16

I'll bet that sounds great!
Do you have a Dolby Atmos set up?

With my movie rig, I set up an old school surround (5.1) but I have nothing behind me. It is all in front with my surround speakers set high up, angled upward, bouncing off the ceiling.
So I have no surround, just an "expansion" of sound when the big "rear" effects hit.
I have come to like this set up.

Atmos configurations would be much more involved.
I've just concluded over some time that I am just not that interested in whatever they do to with speakers everywhere to make movies "better."

I have helped some friends set things up properly and it can be a different movie experience, but it's not my thing.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23342 - 05/29/23 at 14:06:01

No, I've never been intrigued by surround sound, I haven't ever really heard a setup that made me want to have one, and I've concentrated on great two channel instead. Hard to afford more channels of the same quality! This time around on this I'm listening to the stereo 96/24 on this Blu-ray, and previously I had listened to the Atmos sampled down to stereo via headphones.

I'm not really a "movies" person. In Austin I liked to go to a few movies with friends. Here for ten years I don't have similar friends and my wife doesn't really like to go out to movies. So I've never really been watching a lot of movies at home. TV shows, yes. Lots. I just prefer things like "Better Call Saul" or "WestWorld" or "Evil" or "Legion" or "Doom Patrol" to movies.

I like the new remix of "Time out of Mind" (have the five cd box set) but . . . ultimately I think I prefer the original mix. Nice to have both.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23343 - 05/29/23 at 16:34:07

Josee Koning "Tribute to Antonio Carlos Jobim"

I was hesitant about this one until I saw it was produced by Dori Caymmi. Very nice mellow tribute to the man.

From a discogs seller

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #23344 - 05/29/23 at 21:29:12

Enjoying some Serge Chaloff thanks to Lon’s recommendation.  I’ve been listening to his work for a while now.  Currently streaming Boston Blow Up  through Roon as a Flac file pulled from Tidal in CD quality.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23345 - 05/29/23 at 21:40:16

Chaloff was such a talent, and no wonder, he was the son of the pianist and composer Julius Chaloff and the leading Boston piano teacher, Margaret Chaloff (known professionally as Madame Chaloff). Hearing Ellington's baritone player (and chauffeur!) the killer Harry Carney drew him to the instrument. He was playing in clubs at age 14 and 15. An amazing player! Glad you have been checking him out.

I'm playing a cd of another baritone saxophonist, the Swedish giant of the instrument, Lars Gullin.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #23346 - 05/29/23 at 21:51:54

Yes I’ve been enjoying him as well as Lars Gullin.  When I add music to my que as background music in Roon….Chaloff, Gullin, and Getz are always in the mix.

Dom

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23347 - 05/30/23 at 01:03:23

I love bari sax, but I don't have either of those works.

I'll have to explore by streaming for the moment.

Thanks!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23348 - 05/30/23 at 17:45:35

From the shelves

Miles Davis "Someday My Prince Will Come" Sony Blu-Spec CD2

I'll never tire of this.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23349 - 05/30/23 at 18:41:35

Jack Teagarden, "This is Teagarden" Capitol/TOCJ 20bit lp facsimile cd

It's been too long since I spun some Jackson.

From the shelves

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 465 466 467 468 469 ... 501
Send Topic Print