What's spinning? (Read 1157286 times)
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #22000 - 08/13/22 at 21:24:23

https://youtu.be/bgYXUd7MgFA Lo Fi 720p
Under the leadership of bassist Gordon Edwards, several of the most prolific studio players around teamed together to form an all-star rhythm section that on a part-time basis operated as an independent group. Back around 1967, Edwards put together the Encyclopedia of Soul and during the next decade, the group (which just played together on an occasional basis) evolved into STUFF

Such musicians as drummer Billy Cobham and Jimmy Johnson and altoist David Sanborn passed through the group. By the time of its initial recording in 1975, the lineup was set: Richard Tee on organ, electric piano, and acoustic pianos, both Eric Gale and Cornell Dupree on guitars, bassist Edwards, and drummer Steve Gadd.

They often toured in support of Ashford and Simpson, doing an opening act as Stuff and then Ashford and Simpson joining them for the finale.
It was Church.

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22001 - 08/13/22 at 21:26:50

"Stuff" was great. Don't forget the excellent drummer Chris Parker.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22002 - 08/13/22 at 21:27:53

"Stuff" was great. Don't forget the excellent drummer Chris Parker.

I checked out "Stuff" because of the great work Cornell Dupree did with Donnie Hathaway.  His name on the back cover sold me.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22003 - 08/13/22 at 21:37:15

Yeah I was there at the Bottom Line for most those shows, The double drumming was unbelievable. It was on another level than anything I've ever experienced with the time signature most rock music employees. I've sat behind Ginger Baker and Keith Moon has thrown drumsticks at me. But I am no drummer by any definition  of the word but I use Steve Gadds fundamentals book every time I practice. I will say that the Stuff recordings never replaced the exuberance of seeing them live. Oh Valerie Simpson is some kind of cupcake. Nick Ashford has no bottom.

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22004 - 08/13/22 at 21:59:48

https://youtu.be/O3EeTDTdMXk HD 1080p
Hundreds maybe even thousands of people have interpreted this song but to me the smokewaterjack album by Quincy Jones is him breaking out into a more commercial representation of his Solo skills, you decide if this was the jump was he going for the brass ring before he became producer arranger extodinaire in lea of a solo career. Or a demo?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22005 - 08/13/22 at 22:17:16

I saw Stuff in Chicago without any additional guests. Totally dig them. I was a drummer, but can't call myself one any longer. . . two drum sets in storage for over 7 years.

Gadd is cool but I really liked Parker with this band.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22006 - 08/13/22 at 22:21:16

When I saw them in New York they played together, two drummers. I also saw them solo as headliners. They got past the gun for hire still sound and made a real groove.
They really knew how to serve the song, Andy Newmark played with them too.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22007 - 08/13/22 at 22:24:53

Regarding "Smackwater Jack" . . . . The father of one of my first girlfriends played that a lot on his stereo, he liked me and he really liked my Dad and it made it awkward to lust after his daughter.

When I first moved to Austin the stereo shop a few blocks from me (where my first wife worked for a while) would play this disc as a demo over and over and over. I do admit that I enjoyed Eric Gale on that history of the guitar cut.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22008 - 08/14/22 at 00:31:55

Beatles Gone Wild * Sweden October 1963 Live TV

https://youtu.be/dYpVNpXCAls Lo-Fi

1. Introduction 0:00
2. She Loves You 1:12
3. Twist And Shout 3:36
4. I Saw Her Standing There 6:44
5. Long Tall Sally 9:32

IMO This is the best Beatles live performance recorded for sound quality, clarity and the fact that you can actually hear and see them really play up close. It was still all new.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22009 - 08/14/22 at 00:56:36

Chick Corea & Origin "A Week at the Blue Note" disc 6

Every disc in this 6 disc set is a nice listen.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #22010 - 08/14/22 at 00:59:16

Hey BJ, Thanks for the Beatles link.  I hadn't planned on watching all 15 minutes of it, but I had to see it through once I started.  Great memories.  After nearly 60 years, they still sound good.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Media Converter | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22011 - 08/14/22 at 01:28:08

Tony my pleasure that ones so good the Beatles sought it out and bought the rights.
Swedish TV Kinoscope restored.
Television: Drop In, Stockholm, Sweden Wednesday 30 October 1963

From the Beatles Bible

"Despite having completed their concert tour of Sweden the night before, The Beatles returned to Stockholm to record an appearance on the Sveriges Television music show Drop In.
The recording took place in front of a studio audience at the Arenateatern (arena theatre), a small theatre in Stockholm’s Gröna Lund amusement park. Also on the bill were Gals & Pals and the singer Lill-Babs.

The Beatles arrived for camera rehearsals in the afternoon, before taking lunch at a restaurant in nearby Solliden. They were joined by Mal Evans, Neil Aspinall, producer Klas Burling, presenter Kersti Adams-Ray and a some photographers. John Lennon and Paul McCartney are said to have played a piano in the restaurant.

One of the photographers, Bo Trenter, took a number of widely-used shots of The Beatles, one of which was used on the Swedish version of the ‘All My Loving’ EP in January 1964."

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22012 - 08/14/22 at 08:53:19

https://youtu.be/jhSuJcgZGSM Lo-Fi 720p
Black Moses - Issac Hayes

The follow-up to Hayes' successful soundtrack for Shaft, Black Moses features Hayes' version of The Jackson 5's hit single "Never Can Say Goodbye". Hayes' version became a hit in its own right,. The album reached number one on the Billboard R&B album chart on January 15, 1972.
In addition to "Never Can Say Goodbye", other selections on Black Moses include covers of songs made popular by The Carpenters ("(They Long to Be) Close to You", Toussaint McCall ("Nothing Takes the Place of You"), The Friends of Distinction ("Going in Circles"), Dionne Warwick ("I'll Never Fall in Love Again"), and Little Johnny Taylor ("Part Time Love"). Hayes names Black Moses as one of his most personal works.[9]

The very same sample of "Ike's Rap II" was used in four tracks at about the same time in the mid-1990s: "Hell Is Round The Corner" by Tricky, "Glory Box" by Portishead, "Jorge da Capadócia" and "Salve" both by Brazilian rap group Racionais MC's. It was also sampled by Alessia Cara in her song "Here" recorded in 2014.

The album's title derives from Stax executive Dino Woodward's nickname for Hayes, which he bestowed upon the musician after comparing the effects of his music on black audiences to the leadership of the biblical figure Moses. The then deeply Christian Hayes shied away from the nickname, finding it "sacrilegious", although journalist Chester Higgins popularized the "Black Moses" nickname in an article he wrote on Hayes for Jet. Hayes came to see "Black Moses" as a symbol of black pride:

Black men could finally stand up and be men because here's Black Moses; he's the epitome of black masculinity. Chains that once represented bondage and slavery now can be a sign of power and strength and sexuality and virility
Larry Shaw, head of marketing and publicity at Stax, came up with the idea to name Hayes' LP Black Moses. He also devised, with the assistance of Bar-Kays member Ron Gordon, a gatefold album cover design which unfolded into a poster-sized image of Hayes, dressed in biblical-inspired attire as "Black Moses".

Isaac Hayes - lead and background vocals
"Hot", "Buttered", and "Soul": backing vocals
The Bar-Kays, instrumentation: "(They Long to Be) Close to You" and "Going in Circles"
Instrumentation on all other tracks by The Isaac Hayes Movement:
Piano, vibraphone, organ, electric piano - Isaac Hayes
Bass - Ronnie Hudson
Bongos, congas - Gary Jones
Drums, tambourine - Willie Hall
Electric piano - Lester Snell
Guitar - Charles "Skip" Pitts
Piano - Sidney Kirk

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22013 - 08/14/22 at 16:20:11

In Memory of Bill Pitman, who recently passed away at 102
https://youtu.be/mTS1iUH-Lpw HD 1080p

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/12/arts/music/bill-pitman-dead.html

Bill Pitman, a guitarist who accompanied Frank Sinatra, Elvis Presley, Barbra Streisand and others from the late 1950s to the ’70s, and who for decades was heard on the soundtracks of countless Hollywood films and television shows, died on Thursday night at his home in La Quinta, Calif. He was 102.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #22014 - 08/14/22 at 17:38:54

Nice Qobuz playlist:

Listen to the playlist REL Acoustics Recommended Tracks by REL Acoustics on Qobuz https://open.qobuz.com/playlist/8849615

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22015 - 08/14/22 at 19:34:55

https://youtu.be/Bj_lZ4hkJd8 HD 1080p
It Ain't Easy - Long John Baldry
Don't try to lay no Boogie Woogie on the King of Rock 'n' Roll

Long John Baldry – vocals, 12-string guitar
Maggie Bell – vocals
Elton John – organ, piano
Ron Wood – guitar , 12-string guitar
Alan Skidmore – tenor saxophone  
Lesley Duncan, Tony Hazzard, Doris Troy, Tony Burrows, Roger Cook, Madeline Bell, Kay Garner, Liza Strike – backing vocals
Sam Mitchell – dobro, guitar,   slide guitar  
Ian Armit – piano
Ricky Brown – bass guitar  
Mick Waller – drums

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22016 - 08/14/22 at 20:24:33

Miles Davis "Quiet Nights" Sony SRCS 9734 DSD mastered lp facsimile cd

I totally understand why Miles and Gil didn't want this album released. . . it was an incomplete project that needed more rehearsal and material. But I still love it. This is the best-sounding digital version I have.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22017 - 08/14/22 at 20:57:10

Bob Dylan "World Gone Wrong" Sony Blu-Spec  CD2

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22018 - 08/15/22 at 00:31:11

https://youtu.be/Jft606E_vs4 HD 1080p
Iggy and The Stooges - Raw Power (Full Album)

Yeah Raw Power Babe

Whether you call em Iggy and the Stooges or just the Stooges, this needs to be played at Maximum Rock n Roll!

Track-List:
#1 Search and Destroy
#2 Gimme Danger
#3 Your Pretty Face Is Going to Hell
#4 Penetration
#5 Raw Power
#6 I Need Somebody
#7 Shake Appeal
#8 Death Trip

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22019 - 08/15/22 at 10:05:29

https://youtu.be/HBqhKEZa2zM HD 1080p

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/09/arts/music/lamont-dozier-dead.html

A HOLLAND- DOZIER- HOLLAND SONGBOOK

They were MOTOWN's most prolific songwriters from 1962 to1967

Holland–Dozier–Holland was a songwriting and production team consisting of Lamont Dozier and brothers Brian and Eddie Holland. The trio wrote, arranged and produced many songs that helped define the Motown sound in the 1960s. During their tenure at Motown Records from 1962 to 1967, Dozier and Brian Holland were the composers and producers for each song, and Eddie Holland wrote the lyrics and arranged the vocals. Their most celebrated productions were singles for Martha Reeves, Mary Wells, the Four Tops and the Supremes, including 10 out of the Supremes' 12 US No. 1 singles, such as "Baby Love", "Stop! In the Name of Love", and "You Keep Me Hangin' On".

Due to a legal dispute with Motown, from 1969 to 1972, they did not write material under their own names, but instead used the collective pseudonym "Edythe Wayne". When the trio left Motown, they continued to work as a production team (with Eddie Holland being added to the producer credits), and as a songwriting team until about 1974.
The trio was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1988[2] and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1990.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22020 - 08/15/22 at 14:23:07

SFJazz Collective "Original Compositions and Works by Wayne Shorter" disc 3

As always on their tour recordings, the original compositions are very interesting and nicely arranged.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22021 - 08/15/22 at 15:37:19

Miles Davis "Miles in Berlin" Sony SR 9708. DSD mastered lp facsimile cd.

One of the first recordings of Miles with Wayne in the Quintet. I love this version of "Autumn Leaves". . . there was an energy wth this new person in the group that comes through, and this mono recording is nicely balanced.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22022 - 08/15/22 at 15:49:20

Lon good morning, what is a DSD Mastered LP Facsimile CD?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22023 - 08/15/22 at 16:11:17

Just what it says it is. Japan mastered a whole bunch of material in DSD for cd, and they sound excellent. The cds are packaged in paper sleeves that are like miniaturized LPs--they have the front and back cover of the original LP reissued in a 5" plus a bit size. (The LP facsimile versions were often replaced with jewel case versions if reissued).

I collected these when I could from Japan new or used when they weren't exorbitantly priced. I also collected earlier Sony Super Bit Mapped mastered and 24 bit mastered cds in the LP facsimile format. These are very collectible and can command hefty prices these days.

Here's an interesting page/site for the Miles Davis reissues (Sony Records Japan did this sort of thing for a lot of artists' catalogs.) These were issued in a boxed set and separately:

http://kind-of-blue.de/seiten/boxen/miles_black_obi_series.htm

http://kind-of-blue.de/seiten/boxen/miles_original_jacket_collection_box.htm

http://kind-of-blue.de/index.htm

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22024 - 08/15/22 at 16:15:17

"Miles Davis in Europe" Sony Blu-Spec CD Japan.

This is one of the releases of this material with unedited performances and includes the great "I Thought about You" that was not on the original LP. (Covers for this release always say stereo, there were fake stereo LP versions but most every cd resissue is the original mono).

https://www.kind-of-blue.de/bilder/coverscans/bluspec/in_europe_blu_spec_front.j...

https://www.kind-of-blue.de/bilder/coverscans/bluspec/in_europe_blu_spec_back.jp...

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22025 - 08/15/22 at 16:37:21

OK so they call them facsimile because they are packaged like LPs but otherwise the technology is the DSD Sony formula, I tried looking it up I couldn't find something definitive thank you.
Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22026 - 08/15/22 at 16:48:27

Right, they are mastered using DSD but they are down-sampled to the Redbook standard for the cd releases.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22027 - 08/15/22 at 19:47:31

Barney Wilen "Le Ca" Venus cd

I have two other versions of this one, my favorite Barney Wilen--you can sense his joy and excitement of recording at Rudy Van Gelder's studio, or so I imagine. Barney gets a beautiful sound out of soprano, tenor and baritone and Rudy captured it very very well. Great rhythm section too!

Barney Wilen, Kenny Barron, Ira Coleman, Lewis Nash

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22028 - 08/15/22 at 20:38:40

Tatiana Parra "Inteira"

A lovely voice from Brazil.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22029 - 08/16/22 at 15:34:36

Tania Maria, "Olha Quem Chega"

Her second album, featuring her vocals with orchestra, very different from her later work.

Followed by

The Duke Ellington Orchestra (conducted by Mercer Ellington) "Only God Can Make a Tree" Music Masters cd

This one has had to grow on me over the years, but it has. Pretty nice cd to play a bit louder than usual.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22030 - 08/16/22 at 15:40:03

https://youtu.be/rOjHhS5MtvA Lo-Fi 720p

Beethoven 9 - Chicago Symphony Orchestra - Riccardo Muti

On May 7, 1824, Beethoven shared his 9th Symphony with the world even though he could never hear it. On May 7, 2015 celebrate the anniversary of Beethoven’s most glorious and jubilant masterpiece with Riccardo Muti and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra and Chorus. An exhilarating testament to the human spirit, Beethoven’s Ninth bursts with brooding power and kinetic energy and culminates in the exultant hymn, “Ode to Joy.”The video is now available free on demand for all to enjoy! - See more at: http://cso.org/beethoven9

I. Allegro ma non troppo, un poco maestoso 1:43
II. Molto vivace 19:45
III. Adagio molto e cantabile - Andante moderato 35:41
IV. Finale: Ode to Joy 52:13

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22031 - 08/16/22 at 19:21:34

Jimmy Witherspoon "Goin' to Kansas City Blues" Mosaic Records cd

Originally an RCA LP. Great band, great singer, great KC spirit.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22032 - 08/16/22 at 19:25:24

Jimmy Witherspoon "Goin' to Kansas City Blues"  Digging It Lon, great disc.

IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #22033 - 08/16/22 at 19:31:02

Witherspoon was born in Gurdon, Arkansas just a few miles up the road from where I live. Been enjoying his music for a long time.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22034 - 08/16/22 at 20:12:45

Yes, he was a great singer!

Right now
"The Complete Joe Henderson Blue Note Studio Sessions" Mosaic Records disc III

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22035 - 08/17/22 at 13:24:20

https://youtu.be/UnDMangsOMc Lo-Fi 720p

Sister Rosetta Tharpe  was an American singer and guitarist. She gained popularity in the 1930s and 1940s with her gospel recordings, characterized by a unique mixture of spiritual lyrics and electric guitar. She was the first great recording star of gospel music, and was among the first gospel musicians to appeal to rhythm and blues and rock and roll audiences, later being referred to as "the original soul sister" and "the Godmother of rock and roll". She influenced early rock-and-roll musicians including Little Richard, Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins, Chuck Berry, Elvis Presley and Jerry Lee Lewis.

00:00 “Up Above My Head” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
02:32 “Down by the Riverside” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
05:03 “Ain’t No Grave Hold Body Down” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
07:58 “Everybody's Gonna Have a Wonderful Time up There” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
10:45 “Didn't It Rain” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
13:23 “Trouble in Mind” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
15:52 “Strange Things Happening Every Day” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
18:44 “When I Move to the Sky” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
21:40 “Singing in My Soul” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
24:36 “Nobody Knows, Nobody Cares” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
27:14 “What Is the Soul of Man? ” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
29:47 “Precious Memories” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
32:40 “Stand by Me” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
35:33 “God's Mighty Hand” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
38:28 “Sit Down” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
40:50 “Jonah” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
43:51 “I Heard My Mother Call My Name” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
46:37 “Jesus Is Here to Stay” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
49:28 “The Lord Followed Me Here” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
52:40 “I Want to Live so God Can Use Me” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
55:14 “How Far from God” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
58:11 “The Natural Facts” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
01:01:27 “Saviour Don't Pass Me By” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
01:04:15 “I'm in His Care” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
01:07:11 “The Devil Has Thrown Him Down” Sister Rosetta Tharpe

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22036 - 08/17/22 at 14:24:40

"Gilson et Malagasy" cd 1

http://www.expose.org/index.php/articles/display/jef-gilson-gilson-et-malagasy-3...

Haven't listened to this set since I first got it. Some pretty interesting music here.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22037 - 08/17/22 at 15:06:09

Lon wrote on 08/17/22 at 14:24:40:
"Gilson et Malagasy" cd 1

https://i.discogs.com/GnzHYDd_Va5WxLCr921MeDVXFQE-jHJgrDpuBCALbXY/rs:fit/g:sm/q:...

http://www.expose.org/index.php/articles/display/jef-gilson-gilson-et-malagasy-3...

Haven't listened to this set since I first got it. Some pretty interesting music here.

Now on to disc 2, which is "Malagasy at Newport-Paris"

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22038 - 08/17/22 at 15:18:07

Can I get an AMEN ?!!!
https://youtu.be/v23CRzgeVrg Lo-Fi 480p
Sister Rosetta Tharpe - The Best Of Vol 2 (Full Album)
00:00 “My Journey to the Sky” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
03:12 “Bring Back Those Happy Days” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
06:07 “Lay Down Your Soul” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
08:34 “Stretch Out” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
11:18 “Beams of Heaven” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
14:00 “Don't Take Everyone to Be Your Friend” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
16:27 “My Lord and I” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
19:17 “Teach Me to Be Right” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
22:04 “Two Little Fishes and Three Loaves of Bread” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
25:01 “Jesus Taught Me How to Pray” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
28:09 “Let That Liar Alone” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
30:47 “Forgive Me Lord and Try Me One More Time” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
33:25 “What's That News” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
36:19 “This Train” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
39:09 “I Claim Jesus First” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
41:51 “That's All” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
44:28 “Sleep on Darling Mother” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
47:24 “Heaven Is Not My Home” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
50:06 “I Looked Down the Line (And Wondered)” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
53:00 “God Don't Like It” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
55:33 “Nobody's Fault but Mine” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
58:39 “Family Prayer” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
01:01:20 “Shout Sister Shout” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
01:04:02 “Were You There When They Crucified My Lord?” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
01:07:18 “Oh When I Come to the End of My Journey” Sister Rosetta Tharpe

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22039 - 08/17/22 at 15:42:49

BicycleJoe Lo-Fi wrote on 08/17/22 at 15:18:07:
Can I get an AMEN ?!!!
https://youtu.be/v23CRzgeVrg Lo-Fi 480p
Sister Rosetta Tharpe - The Best Of Vol 2 (Full Album)
00:00 “My Journey to the Sky” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
03:12 “Bring Back Those Happy Days” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
06:07 “Lay Down Your Soul” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
08:34 “Stretch Out” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
11:18 “Beams of Heaven” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
14:00 “Don't Take Everyone to Be Your Friend” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
16:27 “My Lord and I” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
19:17 “Teach Me to Be Right” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
22:04 “Two Little Fishes and Three Loaves of Bread” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
25:01 “Jesus Taught Me How to Pray” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
28:09 “Let That Liar Alone” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
30:47 “Forgive Me Lord and Try Me One More Time” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
33:25 “What's That News” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
36:19 “This Train” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
39:09 “I Claim Jesus First” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
41:51 “That's All” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
44:28 “Sleep on Darling Mother” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
47:24 “Heaven Is Not My Home” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
50:06 “I Looked Down the Line (And Wondered)” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
53:00 “God Don't Like It” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
55:33 “Nobody's Fault but Mine” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
58:39 “Family Prayer” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
01:01:20 “Shout Sister Shout” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
01:04:02 “Were You There When They Crucified My Lord?” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
01:07:18 “Oh When I Come to the End of My Journey” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
https://i.ibb.co/486zZpn/Screen-Shot-2022-08-17-at-10-12-35-AM.png

She was quite the guitarist, and knew good guitats. She's somewhat famous for featuring this Les Paul Custom near the end of her career. That was a hulluva guitar.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22040 - 08/17/22 at 15:58:16

Yes that was during the 60's revival when she toured Great Britain
The first year model of the Les Paul in 1961 was disavowed by Les Paul and they changed it's name to the SG.

I owned an early 2000 model at the same time I bought my Les Paul custom black beauty three pick up. I sold the SG but I still have the LP.

Here it is in all its glory, Rosetta and Company at a train station in England 1964
https://youtu.be/5SoZG4yDaJA

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22041 - 08/17/22 at 17:03:27

Yes, as I understand it hers was the Les Paul though, not the SG. Very cool guitar.

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #22042 - 08/17/22 at 17:58:00

The Dana Owens Album (2004)
Artist: Queen Latifah
Release year: 2004
Engineer: Frank Wolf
Engineer, Pre-Production, Vibraphone: Steve Skinner            
Digital Editing, Engineer, Producer: Tal Herzberg      

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22043 - 08/17/22 at 19:23:06

Bud Freeman "1939-1940" Chronogical Classics cd

Lots and lots of Pee Wee and other greats! This one is HOT.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22044 - 08/18/22 at 13:11:20

Alain Jean-Marie "The Complete Beguine Reflections 1992-2013" 4 cd set (5 LPs reissued on 4 cds). This is a quite addictive sound, a groove and body to the sound and excellent musicianship. Repetitive, taken a disc at a time though it's an experience. I knew this excellent pianist through Barney Wilen and I'm glad that I grabbed this set this year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biguine

IP Logged
drford
Seasoned Member

Reply #22045 - 08/18/22 at 14:12:00

Too busy for music is a terrible place to be. Trying hard to rebalance to get back to it. Right now, this...

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22046 - 08/18/22 at 14:15:10

Listening to Biguine Reflections Now

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22047 - 08/18/22 at 14:19:26

Monday Michiru "Premium Mix" cd. This is a collection of remixes of several Monday works and I happen to really like this one. Monday is in my opinion not as well known as she deserves to be. She is a great lyric writer and and an even better singer.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22048 - 08/18/22 at 15:34:31

Miles Davis "Live/Evil" -- this time the SACD with Quad mix that Sony put out recently, listening to the 2 channel original mix layer.

I bought this 2 LP set when it first came out and I still have my original LPs and play them--they still sound fantastic. But this SACD release sounds fantastic too.

I've always loved this music. Most of my friends wouldn't let me play it when they were around, which was a shame. I bought a cassette version early on to play and drive around in my car. It was where I discovered Jarrett and soon after that I bought his album with Gary Burton on Atlantic and then every one of his solo piano albums as they came out. And it was where I first heard Hermeto Pascoal and his music and that led to my eventually become a Brazilian music fan.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #22049 - 08/18/22 at 16:16:58

Listening to this in a bit. My wife likes this music, too.

Somi_If_The_Rain_Come_First.jpg

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 439 440 441 442 443 ... 501
Send Topic Print