A damned fine session.

Alto Saxophone – Sonny Red
Baritone Saxophone – Pepper Adams
Bass – Miroslav Vitous
Drums – Mickey Roker
Piano – Chick Corea
Trumpet – Donald Byrd

Recorded on October 5 1967.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #21901 - 08/01/22 at 17:04:41

Donald Byrd "Chant" Blue Note Japan cd TOCJ-50275

Some very extroverted Herbie Hancock here, and as always Doug Watkins plays with authority.

Baritone Saxophone – Pepper Adams
Bass – Doug Watkins
Drums – Teddy Robinson
Piano – Herbie Hancock
Trumpet – Donald Byrd

Recorded on April 17, 1961.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21902 - 08/01/22 at 18:33:05

Erroll Garner "Up in Erroll's Room--featuring the Brass Bed" Octave/Mack Avenue cd

"Long live the Plangent Process!" It really helps these recordings sound great.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21903 - 08/01/22 at 19:22:08

Weber Iago "Os Filhos Do Vento:Children Of The Wind" cd

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21904 - 08/02/22 at 14:14:02

This one again. . . I didn't get to finish listening to it before Lucinda came home and it is great to start the day with.

Weber Iago "Os Filhos Do Vento:Children Of The Wind" cd

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21905 - 08/02/22 at 15:13:36

Helen Merrill Gil Evans "Collaboration" Emarcy cd

Beautiful.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21906 - 08/02/22 at 16:21:05

Ornette Coleman "Tomorrow is the Question" Contemporary/Craft Records SACD

Nice mastering.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #21907 - 08/02/22 at 20:32:41

Sorry to mess up your thread, Lon, but I found this old thing and almost busted a gut.

I don't know if any of you guys know Marty Stuart, or of him, but he has had a long career in bluegrass, country and a few years back, had a show where he invited a comedy act every week.
When I first encountered him in the Nashville arena I had not recognized him from his childhood days and passed him off as just another of the Nashville "hat crowd" I had become cross with.
This is hilarious.

I know Bicycle Joe will get a kick.
Forgive me for making you chuckle.

https://youtu.be/Pkdci55adqk

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21908 - 08/02/22 at 20:41:52

Marty Stuart is quite a character. I had a coworker who was into this sort of music and I went along with listening to it. . . until I didn't have to. Wink  

PS: you are not "messing up my thread." It's not MY thread, I see it as a vehicle to chronicle what we are listening to. Our systems are about MUSIC, or should be. I like to see what others listen to.

Right now
Ronnie Laws "Tribute to the Legendary Eddie Harris" Blue Note cd

I like both Ronnie and Eddie and this is actually quite a nice tribute album.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #21909 - 08/02/22 at 20:49:52

Bluegrass music was a large part of my life during the coming up stages.
This youtube does not qualify.

I preferred the Beatles, Paul Revere, Tommy James, Rolling Stones, Stepenwolf, Jimi Hendrix.
But the soul of bluegrass never left me. Some of my best times have been at an Olde Timee music fest with families making music together.

Thank you, Lon for that addendum.

I still try to keep respect for the thread's content, mine and yours.
I just wanted to share a laugh.

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #21910 - 08/03/22 at 14:09:02

Same old DD, I love Marty Stuart and the Fabulous Superlatives https://youtu.be/Cx_l9kLxycw
I didn't know the thread had a context I thought it was just whatever you were listening to at the time. I've been on some threads where you could only post vinyl you weren't allowed to post streaming. I'm against that, I like the idea of turning each other on to new sounds as well as being reminded of a classic tune or two.

My opinion is it woud be nice to leave some kind of link. That would be really sharing. That's what I try to do. I try to put the HD 1080, the option is there to click on it and instantly hear the music. Instead of me having to take the time to search for what other people share without a link. Although my preference is tubes and vinyl the message is the music not the media that's what counts first with me and always has even before we had so many choices of media. I've always preferred going to a live show.

I don't have equipment that would highlight the Fidelity streaming is capable of now so I don't subscribe. although I did have Tidal, did you know tidal gives a veterans discount.

https://youtu.be/RrLl1o1shos Lo-Fi HD 720
Ike And Tina Turner Big TNT show

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #21911 - 08/03/22 at 14:46:49

96 years old today

SMILE was written by Charles Chaplin
https://youtu.be/bCkf61t1AIs

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21912 - 08/03/22 at 15:37:55

I don't do streaming so I won't be posting any links to "immediately play" myself. I'm a disc only person. And to be honest I have never liked youtube. . . I rarely rarely rarely watch a video on youtube. I've watched only one or two of the Decware ones.

Started off this morning with this Pablo cd, Sarah Vaughan "The Ellington Songbook Vol. One." Hadn't played it in quite some time. Not a favorite Sarah.

Then moved on to "The Real Tania Maria: Wild" Concord cd which features some amazing bass work by John Pena.

And now it's Ella Fitzgerald with Count Basie Orchestra on Pablo cd, "A Classy Pair."

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #21913 - 08/03/22 at 15:45:38

BicycleJoe, it's amazing that his pipes still work! Wow. 96!

There's no theme, Joe, but if you look back, this is I think the third iteration of a "spinning" thread. Might be a fourth, but Lon has been the one who started them and supported them and posted a 4/5 of the content, keeping them alive for everyone.
Inviting everyone to share, he just reminded me that they are not his threads. I see his point!
As a "tip of my hat," well shy of a salute, I think of these as Lon's threads, mainly because of his level of contribution, not through any ownership.

He was quick to clarify.
So, the idea is for all of us to have a chance to explore music we may not yet have discovered or possibly not heard in too long.

No theme expected, but I had never just posted something funny, here, just for the sheer ridiculousness of it. I had a laugh and wanted to see if others got a chuckle.
Smiley

I'm playing some old classic country style music for now.
Sorry for the shit pic.

Eddie_Arnold_4_tiny.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21914 - 08/03/22 at 16:03:52

Same Old DD wrote on 08/03/22 at 15:45:38:
Bicycle, Joe, it's amazing that his pipes still work! Wow. 96!

It's amazing how Tony can still sing. In fact he has Alzheimer's pretty bad. He sometimes doesn't know who is about him and what he should do. . . unless it involves singing apparently. There was a great 60 Minutes segment about this, showing him preparing for a Carnegie Hall Concert along with Lady Gaga. Once he was on stage with a mic in his hand he came alive in a way that he didn't all the moments before. Music is a powerful thing. He even remembers all these lyrics. I've seen my own mother respond to music when she was hardly responding to persons around her, questions, etc. in her final year. Music. Just a mystifying and magical thing.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21915 - 08/03/22 at 20:35:01

Kenny Burrell and the Jazz Heritage All-Stars "Live at the Blue Note" Concord cd

What a player. . . for decades carefully refining his sound and playing.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21916 - 08/04/22 at 13:57:00

Happy birthday Louis--121 today!

Louis Armstrong "Now You Has Jazz--Louis Armstrong at MGM"

This is a cd I forget to play and it's a very good one. Today is the day to put it on!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21917 - 08/04/22 at 15:04:31

Disc 3

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21918 - 08/04/22 at 20:02:45

Tania Maria "Come with Me" Concord Jazz Japan cd

Somewhere around here I have this on SACD as well, but this cd sounds very good.

I really like Tania more and more and pulled out about a half a dozen more of her cds to listen to in the near future. She's a bit nuts but man she has so much talent!

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #21919 - 08/04/22 at 20:54:17

Busy night, so I'm going with something more mellow for now.

It's an artist I found in an article on AAJ a bit ago and sought out more.

Stefano_Bollani_Stone_In_The_Water.jpg

IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #21920 - 08/05/22 at 03:34:14

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21921 - 08/05/22 at 14:26:45

Joe Turner "Stormy Monday" Pablo/OJC cd.

Recorded 1974-1978, previously unreleased tracks

Alto Saxophone – Bob Smith, Eddie "Cleanhead" Vinson
Bass – Charles Norris, Larry Gales, Robert Haynes, William Walker
Congas – Frederick Woods
Drums – Bruno Carr, Charles Randall, Washington Rucker
Guitar – Cal Green, Evans Walker, Gary Bell, Greg Beck, Pee Wee Crayton
Mastered By – Phil De Lancie
Organ – Gildo Mahones
Organ, Piano – Jimmy Robins
Piano – Lloyd Glenn, Sylvester Scott
Producer – Norman Granz
Remix – David Luke
Tenor Saxophone – Bill Clark, Curtis Peagler, Rashid Ali, William "Wild Bill" Moore
Trumpet – Blue Mitchell, Clark Terry, Dizzy Gillespie, Harry Edison, Jake Porter, Joe Banks, Roy Eldridge
Vocals – Joe Turner

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21922 - 08/05/22 at 14:59:35

Ella Fitzgerald "At the Montreux Jazz Festival 1975" Pablo/OJC cd

Tommy Flanagan! Also Keter Betts, and Bobby Durham.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21923 - 08/05/22 at 15:33:59

Eric Mingus "Um . . .Er. . . Uh"

"Grandpa blew his brains out in the house. . . he didn't have the courtesy to take it outside. . . .His blood's in me." Wow. Unfortunately I can relate.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21924 - 08/05/22 at 16:08:46

Jack Teagarden "At the Roundtable" Roulette mono LP

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21925 - 08/05/22 at 18:48:14

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #21926 - 08/06/22 at 03:13:40

Very Nice "Soul Mama" Manny The Cow I appreciated the link. Listening right now.

Lon Wrote Quote:
It's amazing how Tony can still sing. In fact he has Alzheimer's pretty bad. He sometimes doesn't know who is about him and what he should do. . . unless it involves singing apparently.

His son takes very good care of him and has for many years.

Around 20 years ago I started volunteering in a assisted living home, a nice one in upstate New York in Keene Valley in the Adirondacks. A lot of the clients were afflicted with different stages of Alzheimer's and after being with them a while I noticed they would sing along with me when I performed. So I started putting songs like Take me out to the Ball Game, and I'm looking over for a four leaf clover, songs that everybody knew from their bygone era. It was my magic trick that all of a sudden an awakening occurred, the room become animated with big smiles. It was a very powerful experience. The music transcended their affliction and used a different part of their brain that allowed me to make a connection however momentarily it may of been, it proved that they were still in there somewhere.

Take The A Train | Charles Mingus Sextet with Eric Dolphy Live
Charles Mingus - Bass
Eric Dolphy - Bass Clarinet
Clifford Jordan - Tenor Sax
Johnny Coles - Trumpet
Jaki Byard - Piano
Dannie Richmond - Drums

Recorded live on April 12, 1964 in Norway..

https://youtu.be/xObINuHiMGI

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #21927 - 08/06/22 at 03:43:09

Lon wrote Quote:
I don't do streaming so I won't be posting any links to "immediately play" myself. I'm a disc only person. And to be honest I have never liked youtube. . . I rarely rarely rarely watch a video on youtube. I've watched only one or two of the Decware ones.

I guess that means you won't be able to enjoy any of my posts unless you already have the record in your collection. Or any of the posts that anyone makes that you do not already own the record. I'm glad you were able to document your collection, I'd like to hear some of it someday. The ones that you post that I already know are very rewarding, the ones that I don't know that I haven't listened to before that I take the time to seek out are even more rewarding. I enjoy being turned on to new things. I would think that is the main purpose of this thread to share what we think others might find worthy. Like I said before to me it's the music that is most important not the medium or the equipment it is played on.

Art Blakey, Thelonious Monk, Kai Winding, Dizzy Gillespie, Sonny Stitt with Al McKibbon on bass Newport Jazz Festival October 31, 1971 in De Doelen Rotterdam, The Netherlands.

https://youtu.be/NetadSNIqdA HD 1080

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #21928 - 08/06/22 at 05:06:17

https://youtu.be/D8Nysy5SY2w HD 1080
Brian Eno Music For Installations * 77 Million Paintings

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #21929 - 08/06/22 at 06:28:08

Hey Same old DD you may know this one.
https://youtu.be/ijJbULMSK5I Lo-Fi 240p
ELVIS PRESLEY Duet With Jerry Reed GUITAR MAN Remix Mashup 1981

In July 1967 Reed had his best showing on the country charts (#53) with his self-penned “Guitar Man,” In a remarkable twist of fate, when Elvis came to Nashville to record on September 10, 1967, and one of the songs he became especially excited about was “Guitar Man.”

Reed recalled how he was tracked down to play on the Elvis session: “I was out on the Cumberland River fishing, and I got a call from Felton Jarvis. He said, ‘Elvis is down here. We’ve been trying to cut “Guitar Man” all day long. He wants it to sound like it sounded on your album.’ I finally told him, ‘Well, if you want it to sound like that, you’re going have to get me in there to play guitar, because these guys are straight pickers. I pick with my fingers and tune that guitar up all weird kind of ways.’”

Jarvis hired Reed to play on the session. “I hit that intro, and [Elvis’s] face lit up and away we went.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21930 - 08/06/22 at 11:19:49

The music is most important to me too. I have over 30,000 cds and records to listen to. I find new music in a number of ways, including occasionally on this thread. A lot of what others post I have heard, have on hand, or have heard and really am not that interested in, or make a note to check out in the future. I've been collecting music since '68 or so, spent a few years performing music, and have gotten so deeply into jazz that it squeezes out my desire to listen to much that isn't jazz. I have become fascinated with the history and development of jazz and there's just so much time left for me.. Just how I am. This thread can be used in many different ways--I started it as I have been using a similar thread on jazz boards for a few decades now and I just mirror here what I post there on those threads. I'm glad that others are using it in their own ways.

Right now I'm squeezing in a listen before my wife wakes up.

Bix Beiderbecke, "Jazz Tribune" RCA 2 cd, disc 2

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21931 - 08/06/22 at 11:27:28

Yes, music is a powerful force, I've seen it in action as you have in the assisted-living home (I visited my father at least once a week at his assisted-living place for seven years and have seen their music programs). It's a fascinating thing. One of my father's friends is in firm belief that we humans developed music in imitation of birds. I guess that's possible, but am not certain. It certainly has been with us for a long long long time and I hope it will be with us for as long a time ahead. A unique and fascinating way to communicate!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21932 - 08/06/22 at 11:30:49

BicycleJoe Lo-Fi wrote on 08/06/22 at 03:13:40:
Take The A Train | Charles Mingus Sextet with Eric Dolphy Live
Charles Mingus - Bass
Eric Dolphy - Bass Clarinet
Clifford Jordan - Tenor Sax
Johnny Coles - Trumpet
Jaki Byard - Piano
Dannie Richmond - Drums

Recorded live on April 12, 1964 in Norway..

https://youtu.be/xObINuHiMGI
https://i.ibb.co/N19WMtq/Screen-Shot-2022-08-05-at-9-53-47-PM.png

I've collected every scrap of the '64 concerts of the Mingus group that I can, a fascinating tour of Europe.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #21933 - 08/06/22 at 12:32:37

At the exhibition at the Lisson gallery I read an old interview with Devon Turnbull, in the interview someone asked him what his favorite all-time record was and without hesitation he said

Songs for Drella Reed Cale,
this is the Live full concert 1990

https://youtu.be/EKwo3QFWp4c. Lo-Fi 480p

"Songs for Drella by Lou Reed and John Cale, 1990, particularly the song “Style it Takes.” This album is a beautiful tribute to Andy Warhol. The story goes something like this: Reed and Cale had a pretty tumultuous relationship during and after the Velvet Underground, who of course were famously managed by Warhol. Although Reed and Cale did a fair amount of public trash talking about each other in the 20-plus years between Cale leaving the band and this album, they both remained close with Warhol and it was at his funeral that they decided to come together one last time to honour him. The resulting album is a beautiful, sparse and intimate outing that chronicles Warhol’s life. It’s packed with references to him and the culture he created in the ‘60s, ‘70s and ‘80s in downtown NYC that directly influenced my generation of creatives in the downtown NYC of the ‘90s-‘00s. Only the two musicians appear on the album on vocals, guitar, piano and viola. I love small simple ensembles in general and it’s on this record that you can feel immersed in the nuances of every aspect of the performance by these two masters. There’s also a great video recording of a performance they did at BAM in 1990, which is right down the street from my house. I have an unopened (for now) VHS copy, but it’s available on YouTube and you should go watch it.

Urban Bushmen - Logorhythmic Black
https://youtu.be/Et72mifCgAI Lo-Fi 480p

“Art Ensemble of Chicago, Urban Bushmen, 1982 on ECM. AEC is another one of my absolute favourite bands. The synergy of their improvisations, the instrumentation and the energy/spirit of their music is everything. I don’t remember where or when I bought this copy, but it’s a Japanese pressing by Trio-Kenwood. Speaking of the Association for the Advancement of Creative Musicians (which birthed AEC), a new release that has been one of my favourites of 2020 is by the Chairman of AACM, Kahil El’Zabar. Spirit Groove, 2020 on Spiritmuse Records. If you buy one new jazz record in 2020 this should be it.

Steve Reich - Music for Mallet Instruments, Voices and Organ (1974)
https://youtu.be/pANyhXRsp2g  Lo-Fi 480p

Steve Reich - Drumming
https://youtu.be/uDhwFTw4VnI  HD 1080p Live

Steve Reich - Drumming. Part II (1974)
https://youtu.be/RB-woRXwY-Q  Lo-Fi 480p

“Steve Reich, Music for Mallet Instruments, Voices and Organ, 1974, 3xLP box set on Deutsche Grammofon. I’ve been a Reich fan since I discovered him through my dad when I was in high school in the ‘90s. There are few composers more visionary than him. I’ve been lucky enough to see a number of amazing performances of his works, but I found this DGG box set at the WFMU record fair sometime in the late ‘00s. Absolutely beautiful box set in every way. This is one of my most treasured records.”

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #21934 - 08/07/22 at 13:14:10

Every Sunday at 8AM AMAZING GRACE Columbia University Radio https://www.cc-seas.columbia.edu/wkcr/ 99.5

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #21935 - 08/07/22 at 13:59:12

The Taking of Pelham One Two Three [Film Soundtrack] (1974) David Shire
https://youtu.be/1-cfS5uxz_8 Lo-Fi 720p

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21936 - 08/07/22 at 15:09:13

Miles Davis "Nefertiti" Mobile Fidelity SACD

This has been music I've listened to for fifty years plus. . .and I still find it fascinating and discover new little bits within. It has never sounded better to me than it does on this SACD and from my system today.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21937 - 08/07/22 at 15:56:00

Bob Dylan "Together Through Life" Sony Blu-Spec CD2

Dylan is one of the very few "rock" artists I still listen to with enthusiasm. I've come to really like his work of the last three decades. The Blu-Spec CD2 series from Japan is very cool--LP reproductions that include reproductions of anything that came with the original LP release, including "hype stickers."

IP Logged
drford
Seasoned Member

Reply #21938 - 08/07/22 at 19:16:41

The Mingus picture above reminded me of this cracker. Recording quality isn't great, but the jazz itself is something else.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21939 - 08/07/22 at 19:36:09

drford wrote on 08/07/22 at 19:16:41:
The Mingus picture above reminded me of this cracker. Recording quality isn't great, but the jazz itself is something else.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/41DHQ+iyDZL._SY355_.jpg

I adore all the music Mingus created in '64 with Dolphy, Coles, Jordan, Byard and of course the other half of his heartbeat Dannie Richmond. Over the last four decades I think I've collected all that have been taped official and unofficial--and in the last decade a number of the unofficial have become official!

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #21940 - 08/08/22 at 03:53:43

Been enjoying this

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #21941 - 08/08/22 at 04:05:52

Mingus has been a Favorite since his residency at the Village Gate, I missed this one, catch it now.

https://youtu.be/ZHMG62jYtvo Lo-Fi 729p

Recorded September 10, 1965 at the Village Gate
"Don't Let It Happen Here."

Charles Mingus - piano & Vocals
Hobart Dotson, Lonnie Hillyer, Jimmy Owens- trumpet
Charles McPherson -alto sax
Julius Watkins -french horn
Howard Johnson - tuba
Dannie Richmond - drums
(from Alexis Lambros David collection)

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #21942 - 08/08/22 at 04:15:35

Rolling with this as the night wears in on me.

Grateful_Dawg_Soundtrack_tiny.jpg

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #21943 - 08/08/22 at 05:00:36

Audiophile mono vinyl and shellack remastering.

Backtomusic Lo-Fi remastering demonstrates the unique sound features of vinyl and shellac records, the most important of which are clarity and musicality. The records were digitized on vintage tube DIY monophonic audio equipment and were not subjected to any additional processing with the help of noise cancelers and declickers, which, from our point of view, cause music incomparably more harm than good.

See more at https://www.backtomusic.ru/en/

Complete playlist https://youtube.com/playlistlist=PLJ9msOEuaaqIwkQ5awozzK-1fc2NtgBkm

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #21944 - 08/08/22 at 10:52:47

Django Reinhardt with Duke Ellington and his Orchestra
https://youtu.be/Dbtg3QtzI_0 Lo-Fi 480p
Shelton Hemphill, Harold "Shorty"Baker, Taft Jordan, Ray Nance, Cat Anderson (tp); Lawrence Brown, Wilbur de Paris, Claude Jones (tb); Russell Procope cl,as); Johnny Hodges (as); Jimmy Hamilton, Al Sears (ts);
Harry Carney (bar s); Duke Ellington (p ldr); Django Reinhardt (elec-g solo); Oscar Pettiford (b); William "Sonny" Greer (dm)
1946 November 10 - Civic Opera House, Chicago

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #21945 - 08/08/22 at 13:11:09

https://youtu.be/ImvjZ7fUUBU HD 1080p

Moanin' · Charles Mingus

Blues & Roots
Original MONO Recording
Tenor  Saxophone: Booker Ervin
Double  Bass: Charles Mingus
Drums: Dannie Richmond
Piano: Horace Parlan
Alto  Saxophone: Jackie McLean
Trombone: Jimmy Knepper
Alto  Saxophone: John Handy
Producer: Nesuhi Ertegun
Baritone  Saxophone: Pepper Adams
Recording  Engineer: Tom Dowd
Trombone: Willie Dennis
Composer: Charles Mingus

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21946 - 08/08/22 at 14:31:26

"NHOP/Friends Forever" CD1 of 2

The amazing Danish bassist Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen performing with a stable of jazz artists from Europe and America in duo, trio, quartet formats. Excellent music and sound.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21947 - 08/08/22 at 15:56:22

Stanley Turrentine, "Sugar" KICJ-2560 King/CTI RVG series UHQCD from Japan. This disc sounds great!

\

Part of this series of Japanese UHQCD RVG reissues:

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21948 - 08/08/22 at 16:15:42

Chasing that great sound with another from the CTI/King RVG UHQCD series, Antonio Carlos Jobim, "Stone Flower," KICJ-2551

I love this album so much, and this is a very nice sounding version.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21949 - 08/08/22 at 18:10:23

Returning to Tania Maria, "Bluesilian" cd. I can't help but smile at her verve and groove and her excellent pianism.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 437 438 439 440 441 ... 501
Send Topic Print