It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #21851 - 07/22/22 at 02:05:08

https://youtu.be/2UV5SJ9CkYI
T. RE̤X̤ -The Slide̤r̤ (Deluxe *Limited * Edition)[Full Album HQ] 1080
I got stars in my beard and I feel real weird
Tony Visconti
50th Anniversary of The Slider by T.Rex.
By this time Marc Bolan and I made 5 or 6 albums together (depending what one counts as an album), but we were still riding high after the success of Electric Warrior.  We had a sort of telepathy when we went into the studio by then. It had been almost five years since we met in 1967.
The British music press had some animosity towards Marc, mainly because he talked things up BIG and back then, in the Hippy driven community (of which John Peel appealed to), that kind of egoistical behaviour was considered uncool.  Some journalists went out of their way to mitigate the impact this fabulous album would have tried to influence the fans and the British music business - even though Marc was at the top of his game!  But he gained even more fans and that's all that counts in my book.  However some critics were very kind about this release and here is a sample I nicked off Wiki.
"In his retrospective review, Steve Huey of AllMusic wrote, "Even if it treads largely the same ground as Electric Warrior, The Slider is flawlessly executed, and every bit the classic that its predecessor is."[9] Andy Beta of Pitchfork gave the album a 9.5/10 grade, and wrote that the album "marked both the zenith and imminent approach of the cliff’s edge for T. Rextasy. Recorded in a dilapidated castle in France, it captured Marc Bolan as the King of Glam at the absolute height of his powers." LA Weekly praised the album as "a hauntingly unique masterpiece"
I don't need to go through who took the cover photos, but, what the hell, here we go again.  I was on a set of the Born To Boogie film all day with Marc and Ringo Starr (the director), the band and friends, including June Child. Geoffrey Bayldon (Catweazle), whom Marc and I adored, was also there. There were several complicated set ups which took hours for Ringo and crew, so Marc asked me to take some photos of him with his new Nikon F camera.  I've been a photographer since I was 12 and my photos were published several times.  We walked into the woods, away from the large group and I fired off two rolls of 35mm film of the front and back of Marc.  A few weeks later I was visiting Marc in his flat and I saw contact sheets on a sofa.  I picked them up and they were my shots!  I said to Marc that they turned out really great and he agreed, but I saw a cloud move over his expression.  He told me to initial the sheets and if he used the photos I would be given a credit.  But a few months later when the album was released I saw that Marc had credited Ringo with taking the photos.  I immediately confronted him on a phone call and all he had to say was, "Oh, whoopsie."  I think all the fans know this story alreadyand til this day Ringo has never disputed it.

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #21852 - 07/22/22 at 12:12:06

One of the $3 vinyl double album finds at a local flea boutique the other day.

"Boom" a bit funky but well recorded drum solo on side 3. Excellent powerful entertaining jams on 3 and 4.

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21853 - 07/22/22 at 13:04:41

Ramsey Lewis and Nancy  Wilson "Meant to Be" Narada Jazz cd

Acoustic Bass – Larry Gray
Piano – Ramsey Lewis
Drums – Ernie Adams, Leon Joyce, Jr  
Vocals – Nancy Wilson  

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #21854 - 07/22/22 at 13:23:48

https://youtu.be/nRIkZJsS-U4 HD 1080

Marvin Gaye & Donald Byrd - Where Are We Going? (LP - US - 2014 - Blue Note - B0020266-11)

A1. Marvin Gaye - Where Are We Going? 0:11
A2. Marvin Gaye - Woman Of The World 4:04

B1. Donald Byrd - Where Are We Going? 7:40
B2. Donald Byrd - Woman Of The World 12:19

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21855 - 07/22/22 at 14:10:45

SFJazz Collective "The Music of Chick Corea and Original Compositions" disc 1

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #21856 - 07/22/22 at 14:37:43

I found this at a Salvation Army store on Senior Day for a buck, but being a senior, got it for $0.69 along with a few others. According to discogs this is a '74 version looking good.
I grabbed a few others as well, mostly Deutsche Grammophon. But one is a four disc collection of Chopin (Austrian SO) which is next in line for the big cleaning process we talked about elswhere.

But for now, I'm going to  "Let The Sun Shine In."

5th_Dim.jpg

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #21857 - 07/22/22 at 15:26:53

In case you're not busy the next six hours
Good way to break in some speakers or tubes.
https://youtu.be/A8DJHpuwtS0 HD 1080
Miles Davis - Jack Johnson The Complete Recording (5 CD Boxset)

The Jack Johnson Sessions were recorded in April 1970 by Miles Davis, and released in September 2003. These sessions formed the basis for the 1971 album Jack Johnson, as well as some of the studio portions of Live-Evil.

Miles Davis - trumpet
Bennie Maupin - bass clarinet
Steve Grossman - soprano saxophone
Wayne Shorter - soprano saxophone
Chick Corea - electric piano, organ, electric piano with ring modulator
Herbie Hancock - organ, Electric Piano
Keith Jarrett - electric piano, electric piano with wah wah
Sonny Sharrock - electric guitar, echoplex
John McLaughlin - electric guitar
Dave Holland - electric bass, double bass
Michael Henderson - electric bass
Gene Perla - electric bass
Ron Carter - double bass
Jack DeJohnette - drums
Billy Cobham - drums
Lenny White - drums
Don Alias - percussion
Airto Moreira - percussion, berimbau, cuica
Hermeto Pascoal - voice, drums

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21858 - 07/22/22 at 16:10:26

Andrew Hill "Time Lines" Blue Note cd

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #21859 - 07/23/22 at 06:20:33

I really took the Deep Dive on the 6 Hour Miles Davis Jack Johnson set.
Here's 2 short hours of Grant Green
Grant Green - Funk In France: From Paris To Antibes 1969-1970 Full Double Album
https://youtu.be/cQ4K1hMtRFA HD 1080

1. I Don't Want Nobody To Give Me Nothing (Open Up The Door I'll Get It Myself)  (James Brown) -0:00-
2. Oleo (Sonny Rollins) -4:32-
3. Insensatez (Tom Jobim, Vinνcius de Moraes) -8:53-
4. Untitled Blues -16:12-
5. Sonnymoon For Two (Sonny Rollins) -24:18-
6. I Wish You Love (Charles Trenet, Albert Beach) -31:20-

Recorded at la Maison de la Radio, Studio 104 in Paris, France On October 26, 1969.

7. Upshot (Grant Green) -38:24-
8. Hurt So Bad (Randazzo, Bobby Weinstein, Hart) -56:24-
9. Upshot (Grant Green) -1:10:57-
10. Hi-Heel Sneakers (Robert Higginbothan) -1:30:42-

Live At The Antibes Jazz Festival. July 18-20, 1970.

Personnel CD 1:
Grant Green - guitar
Larry Ridley - bass
Don Lamond - drums
Barney Kessel - guitar (track 6)

Personnel CD 2:
Grant Green - guitar
Claude Bartee – tenor saxophone
Clarence Palmer – organ
Billy Wilson - drums

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #21860 - 07/23/22 at 12:29:20

https://youtu.be/RFeeyRd_p5c HD 1080
Hot Rats is the second solo album by Frank Zappa, released in October 1969. It was Zappa's first recording project after the dissolution of the original version of the Mothers of Invention. Five of the six songs are instrumental; while "Willie the Pimp", features vocals by Captain Beefheart. In his original sleeve notes, Zappa described the album as "a movie for your ears".

Frank Zappa – guitar, octave bass, percussion
Ian Underwood – piano, organus maximus, flute, all clarinets, all saxes
Also featuring
Captain Beefheart – vocals on "Willie the Pimp"
Max Bennett – bass on all tracks except "Peaches en Regalia"
Shuggie Otis – bass on "Peaches en Regalia"
John Guerin – drums on "Willie the Pimp", "Little Umbrellas" and "It Must Be a Camel"
Paul Humphrey – drums on "Son of Mr. Green Genes" and "The Gumbo Variations"
Ron Selico – drums on "Peaches en Regalia"
Don "Sugarcane" Harris – violin on "Willie the Pimp" and "The Gumbo Variations"
Jean-Luc Ponty – violin on "It Must Be a Camel"
Lowell George – rhythm guitar

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #21861 - 07/23/22 at 14:17:41

https://youtu.be/90zyF3gPF8M

Meddle by Pink Floyd
Meddle is the sixth studio album by English rock band Pink Floyd, released by Harvest Records. The album was produced between the band's touring commitments, from January to August 1971

Pink Floyd
Richard Wright
David Gilmour
Roger Waters
Nick Mason

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #21862 - 07/23/22 at 15:45:04

https://youtu.be/8pjK-7h5TC0  HD1080

"Thick As A Brick" was recorded in late 1971, featuring music composed by Ian Anderson, arranged with the contribution of all band members. The album was the first to include drummer Barrie "Barriemore" Barlow, replacing the band's previous drummer Clive Bunker. Thick as a Brick is considered by critics to be the first Jethro Tull release to entirely consist of progressive rock music. It received mixed reviews upon its release, but was a commercial success and topped various charts in 1972. Today it is regarded as a classic of progressive rock, and has received several accolades

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #21863 - 07/23/22 at 16:06:57

ROXY MUSIC * ]For Your Pleasure reissue Do The Strand Stranded 1974
https://youtu.be/aidG3DvmBl0

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #21864 - 07/23/22 at 16:53:17

https://youtu.be/ukgraQ-xkp4 HD 1080

THE COURT OF THE CRIMSON KING
including THE RETURN OF THE FIRE WITCH and THE DANCE OF THE PUPPETS

Robert Fripp–guitar
Ian McDonald–reeds, woodwind, vibes, keyboards, mellotron, vocals
Greg Lake–bass guitar, lead vocals
Michael Giles–drums, percussion, vocals
Peter Sinfield–words and illumination

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21865 - 07/23/22 at 17:14:42

Jose James "Yesterday I had the Blues: The Music of Billie Holiday" Blue Note cd

This is a rare release this century that I have in both 2 LP and cd versions, and both sound excellent. Fantastic recording, great trio behind Jose arranged to feature the emotion in the singing. Holiday tribute done very well.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21866 - 07/23/22 at 21:36:03

Donald Byrd "Blackjack" Blue Note TOCJ-6698 Japan cd

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #21867 - 07/24/22 at 07:37:07

Child Is Father To The Man - Blood Sweat and Tears 1967 HD 1080
https://youtu.be/KJKGi428IhM

Overture –  (Al Kooper) – 00:00
I Love You More Than You'll Ever Know – (Al Kooper) – 1:32
Morning Glory –  (Larry Beckett, Tim Buckley) –07:27
My Days Are Numbered – (Al Kooper) – 11:42
Without Her –  (Harry Nilsson) – 15:01
Just One Smile –  (Randy Newman) – 17:41
I Can't Quit Her – (Al Kooper, Irwin Levine) – 22:15
Meagan's Gypsy Eyes –  (Steve Katz) – 25:53
Somethin' Goin' On –(Al Kooper) – 9:17
House in the Country –  (Al Kooper) – 37:15
The Modern Adventures of Plato, Diogenes and Freud –  (Al Kooper) –  40:19
So Much Love / Underture –  (Gerry Goffin, Carole King) –

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #21868 - 07/24/22 at 13:55:53

https://www.cc-seas.columbia.edu/wkcr/
WKCR Columbia University commercial free radio 89.5 on your dial.
AMAZING GRACE SUNDAY GOSPEL
Sister Rosetta Thorpe Famous Spirituals HD 1080 whole LP
https://youtu.be/q1P5xVpGX9E

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21869 - 07/25/22 at 14:55:29

Chris Connor "Sings Lullabys of Birdland" Bethlehem/Solid Records UHQCD Japan

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21870 - 07/25/22 at 15:37:49

Cal Tjader/Stan Getz Sextet SACD

Try this one to see if your system has PRAT.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21871 - 07/25/22 at 16:35:40

John Coltrane "Coltrane '58: The Prestige Recordings" Craft/Concord 5 cd set, disc 5

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #21872 - 07/25/22 at 18:59:47

You must mean PRaT...you got me scrambling on that one Lon. Pace, Rhythm, and Timing is a bullshit acronym to some. Can also lead to some endless discussion on it's meaning.

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21873 - 07/25/22 at 19:36:05

I think the word "And" is worthy of capitalization. Wink  I don't think it's bullshit, I see it as an accepted audio term that as you say at least conveys enough to have discussions and differences.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21874 - 07/26/22 at 13:09:08

Tania Maria "Viva Maria!" Concord 2 cd set, disc 1

I needed a kick to get going today, and Tania is providing it in her unique energetic style.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21875 - 07/26/22 at 13:55:19

Monday Michiru "Look into the Past (to see the Future) 2"

This is my favorite of the remix albums of her work.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21876 - 07/26/22 at 15:18:09

Flying Lotus "Los Angeles"

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21877 - 07/26/22 at 18:04:23

Joe Chambers "Samba De Maracatu" Blue Note cd

Followed by
Sun Ra "Astro Black" Modern Harmonic cd

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21878 - 07/26/22 at 18:46:25

Dexter Gordon "The Montmartre Collection" Black Lion/Muzak Japan 2 cd set, disc 2

I've had this material on LP and earlier cds and man it never sounded this good before!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21879 - 07/27/22 at 13:16:35

John Coltrane Plays the Blues, mono cd

from this excellent box set:
John Coltrane--The Atlantic Years in Mono

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21880 - 07/27/22 at 14:02:33

Lee Morgan "Tom Cat" Audio Wave XRCD

One of my favorite Lee Morgan sessions. Great lineup, well-rehearsed performances that have just the right “feel,” and the sound on the Audio Wave release is stellar.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21881 - 07/27/22 at 14:49:54

Clarke Boland Big Band "Paris Concert--October 29, 1969" disc 2

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #21882 - 07/27/22 at 17:14:41

https://youtu.be/V4jt2bY2HPs

Mingus Plays Piano* Spontaneous Compositions and Improvisations

Mingus Plays Piano is a 1964 solo jazz album by Charles Mingus. The album is notable for Mingus's departure from his usual role as composer and double-bassist in ensemble recordings, instead playing piano without any additional musicians.

"Myself When I Am Real" – 7:38
"I Can't Get Started" (Vernon Duke, Ira Gershwin) – 3:43
"Body and Soul" (Frank Eyton, Johnny Green, Edward Heyman, Robert Sour) – 4:35
"Roland Kirk's Message" – 2:43
"Memories of You" (Eubie Blake, Andy Razaf) – 4:37
"She's Just Miss Popular Hybrid" - 3:11
"Orange Was the Color of Her Dress, Then Silk Blue" – 4:18
"Meditations for Moses" - 3:38
"Old Portrait" - 3:49
"I'm Getting Sentimental Over You" (George Bassman, Ned Washington) – 3:46
Compositional Theme Story: "Medleys, Anthems and Folklore" – 8:35

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21883 - 07/27/22 at 17:17:00

BicycleJoe Lo-Fi wrote on 07/27/22 at 17:14:41:
https://youtu.be/V4jt2bY2HPs

Mingus Plays Piano* Spontaneous Compositions and Improvisations

Mingus Plays Piano is a 1964 solo jazz album by Charles Mingus. The album is notable for Mingus's departure from his usual role as composer and double-bassist in ensemble recordings, instead playing piano without any additional musicians.

"Myself When I Am Real" – 7:38
"I Can't Get Started" (Vernon Duke, Ira Gershwin) – 3:43
"Body and Soul" (Frank Eyton, Johnny Green, Edward Heyman, Robert Sour) – 4:35
"Roland Kirk's Message" – 2:43
"Memories of You" (Eubie Blake, Andy Razaf) – 4:37
"She's Just Miss Popular Hybrid" - 3:11
"Orange Was the Color of Her Dress, Then Silk Blue" – 4:18
"Meditations for Moses" - 3:38
"Old Portrait" - 3:49
"I'm Getting Sentimental Over You" (George Bassman, Ned Washington) – 3:46
Compositional Theme Story: "Medleys, Anthems and Folklore" – 8:35

https://i.ibb.co/923WQTd/Screen-Shot-2022-07-27-at-12-10-42-PM.png

Great album! "This is not like playing at home. . . ."

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21884 - 07/27/22 at 17:33:48

"The Composer of Desafinado Plays" Verve Master Edition cd

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21885 - 07/27/22 at 18:17:05

The Jones Brothers "Keepin' up with the Joneses" Metro Jazz/Verve cd

Brothers Hank, Thad and Elvin with Eddie on bass.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #21886 - 07/27/22 at 19:19:24

Hey, Lon, that Coltrane Atlantic Years is exciting me.
I have been getting more into mono presentation lately, since I have a better way to feel it these days.

I have only been able to stream it through a computer so far, but Wow! It makes my day. This one cuts the line by a good bit in the "wants" list.
Thanks for the heads up.
Smiley

So tell me, do you have dedicated mono rig or do you just play them through your best gear as it is?

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21887 - 07/27/22 at 19:48:29

I generally play mono via my two speaker stereo system. I've struggled over the years to get a really centered mono image--hasn't been really easy in any of my rooms but I've found it quite satisfactorily in my main system because my DAC has a balance control and a 2 percent change to one channel dials it in. I play a lot of mono because I listen to a lot of jazz from the decades before stereo.

At times for grins I just turn off one of my Monoblocks and have a true mono experience. One time that brought back a vivid memory of listening to the Grundig mono system we used in Ethiopia in the second half of the 'sixties--I was playin a Beatles album from the mono box set. It was eerie.

My phono preamp has a mono button which really does help when playing mono records to both reduce noise and give true mono sound filling the room.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21888 - 07/27/22 at 20:38:13

Flora Purim "Speak no Evil" Narada Jazz cd

I came to Flora through being fascinated with her husband Airto's work with Miles way back fifty years ago or so, and I really have always been fascinated with the timbre of her voice and her phrasing. This was one of the last ones that she recorded before this decade and it's a strong one. Nicely recorded too.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #21889 - 07/28/22 at 01:43:06

Lon wrote on 07/27/22 at 19:48:29:
At times for grins I just turn off one of my Monoblocks and have a true mono experience. One time that brought back a vivid memory of listening to the Grundig mono system we used in Ethiopia in the second half of the 'sixties--I was playin a Beatles album from the mono box set. It was eerie.

To me, this paragraph is a "witnessing" to the fact that music can take us places. Some of the best places are memories. I should add, "usually" to that, but I generally try to keep good memories turned up high and the others in the noise floor.

I have both stereo and mono of that box set. I bought the stereo remaster shortly after it came out in '08 or '09 (whenever it was) and a "friend" of mine bought it the day it came out, but bought the mono version and hated it. He's not a 'phile of any sort, just a contractor I work with sometimes who has a lot of money.

He was mad about it being in mono. I tried various ways to help him to understand that mono is actually a Real Thing to some people, especially on older albums that were originally recorded in mono. He would not have any of it.

We were arguing about it one day and he gave it to me, if I would pay for lunch. I said hell yeah!
It was like $40 and I ate half that food myself, so I could say I got the Beatles remastered mono box set used, barely played, for about twenty bucks and conceding to lose an argument.
Smiley

I'm listening to more Fifth Dimension next. Lots of good soul in this one.

Fifth_Dimension_Live.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21890 - 07/28/22 at 14:07:55

Benny Golson "Time Speaks" Timeless/Solid Records Japan cd

A tribute to Clifford Brown with both Freddie Hubbard and Woody Shaw on trumpets, with Kenny Barron, Cecil McBee and Ben Riley.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21891 - 07/28/22 at 14:53:04

Tania Maria "Live at the Blue Note"

I needed that Funky Tamborin energy. This is a lively cd.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21892 - 07/28/22 at 15:57:39

A very interesting cd. Sort of bossa, sort of new agey folk, very soothing.

Chie "Ilha de Sol"

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21893 - 07/28/22 at 19:56:45

Louis Armstrong With Gordon Jenkins And His Chorus And Orchestra "Satchmo In Style" Universal Japan UHQCD UCCU-45008

Certainly some cheese sliced and dropped on top but still. . . LOUIS!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21894 - 07/29/22 at 13:25:46

I keep coming back to this one, my favorite Wilkins so far.

Wilkins continues to impress me with his writing and arranging and I love the general sound he gets from his alto. I wish him continued and long success.

Immanuel Wilkins "Omega" Blue Note cd

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21895 - 07/29/22 at 14:16:28

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21896 - 07/29/22 at 17:34:59

Jerry Garcia "Garcia Live Vol. 18" Berkeley, November 2, 1974 Disc 1

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21897 - 07/29/22 at 19:27:59

Chrissie Hynde "Standing in the Doorway--Chrissie Hynde Sings Bob Dylan" LP

I kept hesitating picking this one up. I love Chrissie. . . I love Bob. . . but I rarely like "Sings Bob Dylan" type releases. Amazon had this ridiculously priced for the LP so I went for it, I mean 10 dollars including shipping (Prime). . . made it hard to resist.

Well. . . I like Chrissie's singing here for the most part and for the most part her interpretations of the songs. But it was literally recorded on iPhones, and I suspect in several different reverberant bathrooms--the sound is a soup of mud she sings over for the most part.

I think I might like it a bit better on cd, and I'll give the LP another spin sometime soon to see if I warm up to it.

Just as something completely different to move me in another direction for possibly my last spin of the day/week, Shabaka and the Ancestors "We are Sent Here by History" Impulse cd.

I LOVE this one. Even more than their first, which I really love.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21898 - 08/01/22 at 12:50:44

Tom Harrell "Upswing" Chesky Records cd

Alto Saxophone – Phil Woods
Bass – Peter Washington
Drums – Bill Goodwin
Piano – Danilo Perez
Tenor Saxophone – Joe Lovano
Trumpet, Flugelhorn, Composed By – Tom Harrell

Recorded June 11-12, 1993, in Queens NY

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21899 - 08/01/22 at 13:42:58

Tania Maria "Love Explosion" Concord cd

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 436 437 438 439 440 ... 504
Send Topic Print