Pages: 1 ... 432 433 434 435 436 ... 501
Send Topic Print
What's spinning? (Read 1155001 times)
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #21650 - 05/10/22 at 14:06:26

Found this at Goodwill a while back.
My daughter is obsessed with Corning Ware and Corell; I just look for high quality steel, Swiss, German, Swedish or Japanese blades. Five minutes and I'm off to the CDs.

Mostly Chrismas music still in those piles, but I flipped past this one at first, it was red, but I came back to it wondering why it looks so bland. SHIT!
I know these names. MINE!! I looked to make sure there was a playable CD in there. I went to Amazon this morning to look into it. I got a pricey CD for $3. I win.
Gave it a listen last night and again now.

Jarrett.jpg

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21651 - 05/10/22 at 14:16:53

Yes, that's a good one. All the Jarrett Trio ones are.

Right now
John Coltrane "Transition" Japan Impulse UHQCD

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #21652 - 05/10/22 at 14:51:33

Lon, you noted Lateef earlier. I have a CD I can't find yet, still in one of many boxes, "lost" due to our move.
He was playing basson and it was truly stirring to hear.
Trying an active search through the boxes where I thought it should be turned up nothing, but I found this one.
Good stuff! Different.

Yusef_Lateef_4.jpg

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21653 - 05/10/22 at 15:00:32

"Eastern Sounds" is one of his most popular titles. The one album where I remember him playing bassoon is the Impulse album "Jazz Around the World". . . though likely he also played bassoon on a few others. He plays oboe on a lot of recordings. He could play almost anything you can blow into! He was an amazing person.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jazz_%27Round_the_World

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #21654 - 05/10/22 at 15:15:59

That's the other one I have. I've got to find it. It's somewhere in the twenty something boxes of CDs, I've yet to sort. And I need more of this artist, generally.
Thanks!
I can't believe the price of some of these discs these days. Holy Moly!
Probably half my collection was purchased used, but the ones I sought and bought new were like ten or fifteen bucks. No longer!

When you get back into your Brazilian scene, I would love it if you could drop clues of some high points. I am very interested, but I have limited knowledge.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21655 - 05/10/22 at 18:36:11

Joe Henderson "The Complete Joe Henderson Blue Note Studio Sessions" disc 3

Followed by
Kurt Elling "Flirting with Twilight"

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21656 - 05/10/22 at 19:39:45

Betty Carter "I Can't Help It" GRP/Impulse cd

The irrepressible brave and resolute Betty Carter.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #21657 - 05/10/22 at 21:31:48

Going to do a little dive into B.B. King, starting with this one and going backward in time.

Riding_With_The_King.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21658 - 05/11/22 at 13:17:41

I was dreaming about collecting Ellington last night, and I woke up wanting to hear this live recording. It's not a great recording but the performances are very nice, and you get a sense of "being there."

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #21659 - 05/11/22 at 15:11:46

This mornig it was this and two straight throughs. Hard to put down. Back to it and going for another spin.

I am bummed that I can't get very far with my marathon. I have always loved BB!
I have his Cook County and San Quentin, somewhere, but not located yet. He comes to offer tiny solace to many with these performances.
As you mention, the recordings may seem dodgy at times, but the performances can do a lot for me.

I need to bust my butt and get my storage organized and everything out of miserable piles of boxes.
I know my collection is small compared to some, estimating 10k CDs before we moved. I have been using streaming mostly and a few vinyl. I have all my LPs sorted and shelved.

BUT, B.B. is in the house!!
Sorry from the shitpic. I stole it, rather than taking one I could own.

BBK_Together.jpg

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #21660 - 05/11/22 at 15:19:10

Lon, I thought your dreams of collecting Duke Ellington had already come true.
I have only a few, but still looking.

The Big Band-ish things I have only begun to collect.  Not sure what I was waiting for. Again, Streaming is so damn easy; the best answer/quick fix at times.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #21661 - 05/11/22 at 17:43:55

I am in Metamorphosis,  Allen Klein's ABKCO Records
(who usurped control of the band's Decca/London material in 1970

Most tracks that appear on side one of the vinyl album are demos, written by Jagger and Richards for other artists to perform. They were mostly recorded with session musicians like Big Jim Sullivan on guitar, Clem Cattini on drums, and Jimmy Page on guitar, John McLaughlin on guitar, and were not intended for release by the Rolling Stones.

Side two are alternate takes of already known and released songs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6CVl1lIQdc

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #21662 - 05/11/22 at 20:16:41

Qobuz

Carolin No
Favorite Sin (2014)
Release year: 2014
Weird the same album is shown to be released 20212, 2013, 2014
Fun album the music is all over the place

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #21663 - 05/12/22 at 18:49:07

Térez Montcalm
Here's To You: Songs For Shirley Horn
Release Date 2011
I love this album

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #21664 - 05/13/22 at 20:06:49

Lisa Ono
Romance Latino Vol.2 -Baladas Romanticas Al Ritmo De Bossanova-
Released:  2005

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #21665 - 05/14/22 at 03:24:08

One of my favorites that works well with my set up.

Rumours.jpg

IP Logged
PDXDrew

Reply #21666 - 05/14/22 at 06:43:54

Free and Easy by Mo’ Horizons really  cool song and well recorded.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #21667 - 05/18/22 at 21:55:58

It's getting to be an old story to some, I know, but this is why I comb through the thrift shop LPs every time I can. Found this at a St. Vincent de Paul center for $1.50.
Amazon offers a used copy in "very good" condition (who knows what that means) for $39.00.
The outer sleeve has suffered the indignity of having been shuffled around some, but the the inner sleeve and LP look like they have never been touched.
Plus about 30 CDs of various genre for a buck a pop.
I also bought 18 other LPs, including a sealed 12 LP Columbia  layman's introductory style collection of classical. Might be something good in there. 12 albums Columbia Gold sealed for a buck and a half - I'll give it a shot.
Cueing this up next:

Wes_Montgomery_tiny.jpg

IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Reply #21668 - 05/19/22 at 01:15:14

Most of my LPs are from Japanese thrift stores. I have found some at US thrift stores as well. I always look. Generally not much there, but occasionally you find a real keeper. Score!

LR:Mini Torii+Wright WPP100 phono, CSP2+SE84UFO, Pioneer Exclusive M4, Accuphase E-303,Graham Slee Jazz Club, Technics SL-1200MK3D Grace F-8 & Nagaoka MP-110, Yamaha NS-1000M, KEF Reference 101, Sony SS-5050
BR: SE84C+, ZP1 phono, Decware 945
JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #21669 - 05/19/22 at 17:44:43

So true!
This was actually a super good run, considering as you mention, 95% is junk and even in that last 5% there might be only one or two in a condition you actually want to buy, if you're lucky.
I was bold and asked if they had any others, which I rarely do. They are SO busy and all volunteers as well. They allowed me into the back to search the boxes they have no room for out front.
To me that was also a big score!

I've got some Lionel Hampton going now that I have chill time.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21670 - 05/24/22 at 15:13:51

The latest from the Birthday Boy. I love this album more and more as I spin it more.

Bob Dylan "Rough and Rowdy Ways" Sony Japan 2 cd

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #21671 - 05/24/22 at 16:31:07

John Coltrane And Johnny Hartman
John Coltrane And Johnny Hartman
Released: 1963..
The recording was made on March 7, 1963, at the Van Gelder Studio in Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey. Hartman later said that each song was done in only one take, except for "You Are Too Beautiful", which required two takes because Elvin Jones dropped one of his drumsticks during the first take

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
drford
Seasoned Member

Reply #21672 - 05/25/22 at 22:16:23

I think it was Lon who posted one of her albums, but now I'm super into her, and Tidal just added her latest...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21673 - 05/26/22 at 00:12:15

Wasn't me, I'm not really into her, though I really do like albums of Powell's that I have heard (he is the son of the amazing guitarist Baden Powell).

IP Logged
drford
Seasoned Member

Reply #21674 - 05/26/22 at 16:11:17

Yeah I searched - it was Melvin. She has an interesting back story about how she became a singer and the things she overcame...

Meanwhile, a classic:

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #21675 - 05/27/22 at 19:55:31

I love Bob Dylan's Theme Time Radio Hour, Dylan is the DJ he doesn't sing or play any of his own songs. I think I've collected something like 40 of the shows and there's at least another 60

Enjoy the music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EtrJR_xZno

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
Dr3wman
Seasoned Member

Reply #21676 - 05/28/22 at 05:34:14

I love this album more each time I hear it.

Torii MKV/25 mods
PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamplifier
Technics SL-1200GR w/ Nagaoka MP-200.
KLH Model 3 speakers..
Sonos connect.
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #21677 - 05/28/22 at 06:40:33

Track listing: Concierto de Aranjuez (Adagio) - 00:00 Will o' the Wisp - 16:24 The Pan Piper (a.k.a. Alborada de Vigo) - 20:18 Saeta - 24:18 Solea - 29:30.

Ray Trump Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain (1997) (Full Album, Remastered, Extra tracks) Originally issued in 1960, this was Davis' studio follow-up to the .

Miles Davis - Sketches Of Spain Released 2011-04-15 on Not Now Music 1. 00:00:00 Miles Davis Concierto de Aranjuez 2. 00:16:24 Miles Davis Will O' The .

Miles Davis - Sketches Of Spain Released 2011-04-15 on Not Now Music Download on iTunes: .

Bitches Brew is a studio double album by jazz musician Miles Davis, released on March 30, 1970 on Columbia Records. Track list: 1. "Pharaoh's Dance" - 0:00 2 .
ENJOY THE MUSIC

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #21678 - 05/28/22 at 22:58:29

Bicycle Joe,

The Dylan Theme Time shows are fantastic. Really well thought out programs. Turned me on to a lot of music that I might have never heard otherwise. I have a bunch recorded myself.

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #21679 - 05/29/22 at 04:48:18

I wish he was still DJ'ing a few more shows. It reminds me of listening late at night to radio transmissions you picked up from distant signals you couldn't find during the day.. The treasures of Theme Time Radio Hour are the near-forgotten tracks. Theme Time gives them sunshine, Bob Dylan gives them relevance, and together some great music lives again.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21680 - 05/29/22 at 17:22:18

Thought I would join you. "Sketches of Spain," Mobile Fidelity SACD

IP Logged
drford
Seasoned Member

Reply #21681 - 05/29/22 at 21:33:56

Milt Jackson and ever-wonderful Monty Alexander playing for the love of it. Just good swinging fun, not highbrow, but darn Monty and Milt have some good times here.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21682 - 05/30/22 at 14:04:34

Great concert. So-so sound.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #21683 - 05/30/22 at 15:09:08

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21684 - 05/30/22 at 15:18:37

disc 2

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #21685 - 05/30/22 at 16:56:17

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #21686 - 05/30/22 at 17:58:04

Rachelle Ferrell
Individuality (Can I Be Me?)
Released:  1999
James Stone      Assistant Engineer
Erik Zobler      Engineer, Mixing

This is a new find for me and I LIKE it

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21687 - 05/30/22 at 18:33:39

Miles Davis "1958" Sony Blu-Spec CD2

One of my favorite blocks of Miles Davis music. And a great sounding cd.

IP Logged
drford
Seasoned Member

Reply #21688 - 05/30/22 at 20:36:55

Art Blakey AND Monk? Say it isn't so!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21689 - 05/30/22 at 21:12:15

AND it's the excellent mono mix that is on the new deluxe reissue disc one--the stereo is awful, Monk is on one side, the band on the other and the bass player sounds like he is out on the sidewalk.

IP Logged
MyBlueSky
Verified Member

An honest tune with
a lingering lead

Reply #21690 - 05/31/22 at 03:38:00

One of my all time favorites

6B1DA81D-394A-4CC9-B381-BB33620DF4F3.png

Torii mk lV, CSP3, Z Rock 2, Z Box, Nelson Pass Amp Camp Amp, RME ADI 2, Denafrips Venus II, Music Hall mmf 7.3, AVA Vision Q phonostage, Sumiko Bluepoint Evo, Panasonic DP-UP 9000, 947 Monoliths, Zu Omen DW mk2, Omega Super 3 HO monitors, Zen silver RCA
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #21691 - 05/31/22 at 19:36:54

Qobuz is finding me some really cool stuff.

Steely Dan • Marian McPartland
Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz Radio Broadcast With Steely Dan
Release Date March 15, 2005

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
drford
Seasoned Member

Reply #21692 - 06/01/22 at 22:25:51

I'm enjoying this quite a lot. Interesting interpretation and a nice recording.

IP Logged
drford
Seasoned Member

Reply #21693 - 06/02/22 at 01:36:03

And closing this session with Miles... I like this album quite a bit - Hand Jive has an interesting solo on it by Herbie.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21694 - 06/02/22 at 13:51:09

Bill Evans "Live At Keystone Korner 1980 Vol 4" Solid Japan cd

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #21695 - 06/02/22 at 14:31:49

Good Morning Lon, Bill used to play in the early 70's at an east side Manhattan watering hole called Les Trois. It was a standing gig when he was coming back from his troubles. I'd go and have my gin and tonic and sit and listen after work. Sometimes Tony Bennett would sit in, this was of course casual all unannounced and just a special little joint where they would work out some things.  But I believe this collaboration led to The Tony Bennett Bill Evans Album. I worked at a record store just down the block next to Manny Wolfe's/Smith and Wollensky. That whole stretch of 3rd Ave. is all gone now changed to glass and steel skyscrapers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qffUFAxJDn4&list=OLAK5uy_k_PApYLtGGgi4bdgVAyzcdP...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21696 - 06/02/22 at 14:49:01

What experiences those must have been, I'm envious. I really enjoy Bill Evans' playing and have for decades. And I like his album with Tony a lot, and have the additional  material as well. Great music!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21697 - 06/02/22 at 15:08:23

Joe Pass and N.H.O. Pedersen "Chops" Pablo cd

Virtuosos at play.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21698 - 06/02/22 at 15:34:23

John Coltrane "My Favorite Things" 60th Anniversary 2 LP set, Atlantic Records. LP 2, the stereo cut.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #21699 - 06/02/22 at 16:15:11

Bicycle Joe,

Great Tony Bennet/Bill Evans story/memory. It has been a while since I listened to that album. I found it again on Qubuz and will hear it tonight.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Media Converter | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 432 433 434 435 436 ... 501
Send Topic Print