Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #19000 - 07/27/20 at 01:42:38

"The Dixie Sound of Jack Teagarden" Roulette stereo LP. I need to find the mono of this one of these days as the Roulette mono LPs I have are fantastic. (This stereo is really good).

I had this still lying around since I last played it and just seeing it made me pick it up. Don Goldie is so good on trumpet here, and Jack both does the tailgate thing perfectly and also is a back-seat driver. . . always such a great sound and feel! And Don Ewell on piano. . . man that cat could play.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19001 - 07/27/20 at 02:37:43

Last one tonight, Jack Teagarden "Jazz Maverick" Warner Japan cd of Roulette session.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19002 - 07/27/20 at 12:37:22

Starting off with LPs again. I am really enjoying the sound of my records played through the PS Audio GCPH phono converter and sent through its ADC via HDMI I2S to the PS Audio DSD DAC. I never expected I would prefer this sound to the analog out of the GCPH but I do, perhaps because of the refined analog output of the DSD and the better interconnects from it to the ZTPRE. I just got another PS Audio HDMI AC-12 for this I2S connection and this boosted the sound quality. Listening to LP one of this set, which to me sounds better than cd releases of this timeless material:

"The Billie Holiday Story, Vol. 2"

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19003 - 07/27/20 at 17:24:33

Jack Teagarden "At the Roundtable" Roulette mono LP.

Such a cool version of "St. James Infirmary". . . .

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19004 - 07/27/20 at 18:45:58

Gary Bartz and NTU TRoop "Juju Songs"

Great interpretation of the Stevie Wonder song "Black Maybe"

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19005 - 07/27/20 at 20:09:40

In honor of John Lewis and C.T. Vivian, two friends and warriors who died on the same day. R.I.P. heroes!

"Duke Ellington's Third Sacred Concert"

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19006 - 07/27/20 at 22:26:37

I recently have finally "got" Kurt Elling and am enjoying "Live in Chicago" . . .

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19007 - 07/28/20 at 01:46:04

Flying Lotus "You're Dead"

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19008 - 07/29/20 at 18:01:14

I have recently gotten into Kurt Elling. I thought he was interesting before but somehow I just never clicked with him. In the meantime I really got into Betty Carter and digested her innovations and I think that when revisiting Elling this really helped me to see his own vision and his own decidedly heavy skill at both singing and interpreting.

Listened to this one today, a recent arrival. It has blown me away, I love the concept of love and loss that permeates the song selection and that is so effectively conveyed through the singing. The centerpice, "You Don't Know What Love Is," is a powerful performance. It made me think of the years of separation due to her mental Illness my late wife and I went through, and also the parting I was forced to make over seven years ago from "the one that got away." I'll just say I was snapped to attention listeneing, and very moved. An excellent recording as well. The horns are nice, but I think I would have liked this one trio only.

Kurt Elling "Flirting with Twilight" Blue Note cd

Then I thought of another male vocalist that I think has mad skills, Andy Bey, and I put on "Black Maybe" from the Gary Bartz LP I listened to yesterday. This is a very different type of performance, but a great one for me. I love Syreeta's version of this tune as well.

Then on to another extremely talented singer, Rhianon Giddens. What an amazing human being, what a consummate musician. This one is full of atmosphere and recorded to deliver.

Rhiannon Giddens, "There is No Other" (with Francesco Turrisi)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19009 - 07/29/20 at 19:00:30

Myriam Alter "Where is There"

This is a beautiful disc. The playing is chamber jazz with a latin (Argentinian) feel, and the beautiful cello of Jacques Morelenbaum is wonderfully featured.

It can be background or can rivet your attention to it's charm. And it's very nicely recorded in Germany.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19010 - 07/30/20 at 21:02:39

Started the day off with the Ezzthetics release of part of the Heliocentric Worlds material from Sun Ra.

Sure improved sound. Though I think I do miss some of the mud of the ESP DISC 3 cd version in comparison. Gives a bit of body.

Then on to a Japanese 24 bit by RVG lp facsimile Blue Note cd version of Grant Green's "Goin' West." Forgot how much fun this one is. Billy Higgins should get a medal for the drum patterns he comes up with here! And Herbie is really working. . . .

Then it was on to Kurt Elling, "Close Your Eyes" Blue Note cd, I love that tune, "Close Your Eyes," its melody and harmony are tailor-made for jazz. Another good release from Elling that I'm getting to know.

Then it was on to something different, the 50th Anniversary reissue of Grateful Dead "Working Man's Dead." It sounds really good. It sounds a bit different from the Mobile Fidelity SACD version which is excellent, they are both good editions of this classic album. The lenticular cover for this is truly something else in a great way.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19011 - 07/30/20 at 21:17:36

And as a British comedy team used to say, now for something completely different.

Flying Lotus "Flamagra"

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19012 - 07/31/20 at 14:21:00

Archie Shepp "Things have got to Change"

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19013 - 07/31/20 at 17:38:15

Haven't played this one for a while and I like it. It always surprises me that there are SEVEN tunes on this release, I ususally assume a Blue Note release has six!

Horace Silver, "Horacescope" 24 bit by RVG cd from Japan.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19014 - 08/01/20 at 15:22:32

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19015 - 08/01/20 at 21:44:21

Kurt Elling "This Time It's Love" Blue Note cd

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19016 - 08/03/20 at 14:18:25

Ike Quebec "Bossa Nova Soul Samba" Blue Note Japan "24 bit by RVG" cd

Love this session.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19017 - 08/03/20 at 19:46:06

Houston Person "The Lion and his Pride" Muse cd.

Followed by
Ed Motta "Perpetual Gateways" Sony cd

I just love Ed Motta. He should record a lot more!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19018 - 08/04/20 at 14:46:48

After a period of monkeying around with tube complements and rolling power cables I'm back to just listening and reveling in the excellent sound. I wish I could take the younger self of mine of 25 into my listening area and show him that I have the sound he was dreaming of then.

First off the instrumental version of Flying Lotus "Flamagra" on cd. Talk about soundscapes!

Then on to Kurt Elling "Man in the Air" Blue Note cd.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19019 - 08/04/20 at 15:08:32

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19020 - 08/04/20 at 15:55:20

Louis Armstrong "V-Discs"

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19021 - 08/04/20 at 16:44:02

Disc 3

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19022 - 08/04/20 at 21:05:43

Houston Person "All Soul" High Note cd

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19023 - 08/05/20 at 14:21:07

I'm at another plateau where everything sounds fantastic and I'm listening to music and transported away from back pain and general worry about the world around me.

Listening to Sonny Rollins "Tour de Force" Prestige, Japan cd. This session doesn't get a lot of talk, probably because of the two tracks with Earl Coleman, but Sonny plays so well here backed by Kenny Drew, George Morrow and Max Roach, and the sound is very good.

Followed by another disc that sounds very good, Robert Glasper "Double Booked," sessions recorded live with the Trio and the "Experiment." His third for Blue Note, and one I like a lot.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19024 - 08/05/20 at 15:29:04

Dexter Gordon "Gotham City" cd from the Columbia Albums Collection box set.

Forgot what a nice album this was.

Bass – Percy Heath
Drums – Art Blakey
Guitar – George Benson
Piano – Cedar Walton
Tenor Saxophone – Dexter Gordon
Trumpet – Woody Shaw

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19025 - 08/05/20 at 19:52:05

Tommy Flanagan "Beyond the Bluebird" featuring Kenny Burrell, Japanese cd

VERY nice.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19026 - 08/05/20 at 20:37:42

Houston Person "Legends of Acid Jazz" Prestige cd

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19027 - 08/07/20 at 13:46:49

Stefan Harris "The Great Unification Theory" Blue Note cd

This is a thoroughly modern larger ensemble session with intriguing arrangements and great playing that incorporates a world of jazz forms. I slept on this one too long.

Have an Arcturus 5963 tube in my ZROCK2 that I bought from RivieraRanch that is giving me quite nice sound. It's amazing what changing a single tube in this system does. All my other 9 pin tubes are from Steve, his heavily tested and carefully matched output tubes and 6N5P tubes and I've been rolling the ZROCK2 input tubes with mostly US or European NOS tubes for different flavors.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19028 - 08/07/20 at 14:28:04

Stan Getz "Nobody Else but Me" Verve cd.

Bass – Gene Cherico
Drums – Joe Hunt
Tenor Saxophone – Stan Getz
Vibraphone – Gary Burton
Notes
Recorded March 4, 1964 at Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey

Too bad it took 30 years for this music to be released because it is wonderful. But we have it!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19029 - 08/07/20 at 15:23:09

Houston Person "Trust in Me" Prestige cd

Contains most of these two LPs

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19030 - 08/07/20 at 18:32:39

"The Popular Ellington" RCA/Sony Japan cd.

Throughout the decades Duke could play his hits and keep them breathing with new expensive gentlemen and a new suit of arrangements. Great sound on this session.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19031 - 08/08/20 at 14:45:40

Watching the "International Jazz Day from Cuba" hour long show that PBS broadcast. Excellent!

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #19032 - 08/08/20 at 22:49:36

Mott the Hoople - All The Young Dudes

[/img][/img]

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
gsanger
Verified Member

Reply #19033 - 08/09/20 at 00:30:12

Yes, love this Mott the Hoople album!  Cheers!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19034 - 08/09/20 at 19:31:05

Kurt Elling "Live in Chicago" Blue Note cd

A very moving version of "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes". . . .

IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #19035 - 08/09/20 at 23:44:23

I Lon! Just noticing the Elling album art and realized "The Green Mill" is where Patricia Barber has recorded a lot of her albums and where I saw/heard her a few years ago when she had a standing gig there. Maybe still does? memories!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19036 - 08/09/20 at 23:58:25

Yes, the Green Mill has been there since before World War I. NO ONE is performing there now, COVID has it closed. I don't know if Barber is playing there still or not. . . .I'm not really a fan and I haven't been to Chicago since last century. . . .

Right now, a great trio recording, Duke Ellington "Piano in the Foreground"

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19037 - 08/10/20 at 14:40:48

Flying Lotus, "Cosmogramma"

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19038 - 08/10/20 at 15:24:48

John Coltrane "Blue World" Japan SHM-CD

So glad this was released!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19039 - 08/10/20 at 16:05:50

Dexter Gordon "Live at Carnegie Hall" Columbia cd

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19040 - 08/10/20 at 19:14:13

I couldn't resist playing this again today, I needed the boost. Such a wonderful album!

Ike Quebec "Bossa Nova Soul Samba" 24 bit by RVG Japanese Blue Note cd

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19041 - 08/10/20 at 19:39:02

It's been too long since I played this masterpiece.

And it's timely . . . it's time.

Marvin Gaye "What's Goin' On" Mobile Fidelity SACD version

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19042 - 08/10/20 at 20:18:36

Miki Yamanaka "MIKI" cd

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19043 - 08/11/20 at 17:17:01

Kurt Elling "Night Moves"

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19044 - 08/11/20 at 17:40:53

Hermeto Pascoal & Grupo "No Mundo dos Sons" disc 2

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19045 - 08/11/20 at 18:26:22

First disc of the live concert included with the 50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition of "Workingman's Dead"

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19046 - 08/11/20 at 21:48:55

Kurt Elling "Secrets are the Best Stories" Juno Records

Kurt Elling, voice and Danilo Pérez, piano, with  bassist Clark Sommers, drummer Johnathan Blake and  percussion master Rogerio Boccato. They’re joined by guests alto saxophonist Miguel Zenón, guitarist Chico Pinheiro, and Román Díaz, percussion.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19047 - 08/12/20 at 12:30:31

Grant Green "Grantstand" 24 bit by RVG Japanese cd.

Yusef Lateef is one of my favorite tenor saxophonists and flautists--all four of these cats have a great chemistry and make this session MOVE and breathe.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19048 - 08/12/20 at 13:04:41

Kurt Elling "Dedicated to You: Kurt Elling Sings the Music of Coltrane and Hartman"

Enjoying this one a lot.

Kurt Elling - vocal
Ernie Watts - tenor saxophone
Laurence Hobgood - piano, arranger
Cornelius Dufallo - violin
Mary Rowell - violin
Ralph Farris - viola
Dorothy Lawson - cello
Clark Sommers - double bass
Ulysses Owens - drums
Jim Gailloreto - arranger

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19049 - 08/12/20 at 14:02:22

"Coleman Hawkins Encounters Ben Webster" Verve/Analogue Productions SACD

Coleman Hawkins – tenor saxophone
Ben Webster – tenor saxophone
Oscar Peterson – piano
Herb Ellis – guitar
Ray Brown – bass
Alvin Stoller – drums

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 379 380 381 382 383 ... 501
Send Topic Print