Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #18900 - 06/09/20 at 14:31:15

Michael Pedicin "Live at the Loft"

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18901 - 06/09/20 at 15:19:04

Bola Sete "At the Monterey Jazz Festival" Verve cd

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18902 - 06/09/20 at 15:54:29

Claudia Villela with Kenny Werner "Dreamtales"

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #18903 - 06/11/20 at 20:53:38

Shadowfax - Watercourse Way [1976]

Complex prog

cover_225212272012_r.jpg
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18904 - 06/11/20 at 21:32:06

"Fred Hersch Plays Monk"

Followed by
Candice Hoyes "On a Turquoise Cloud," which is quite nice. The lovely Ms Hoyes sings the way Ellington liked his singers, does a credible Kaye Davis wordless vocal or three, and reminds me in many places of Alice Babs, a good thing.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18905 - 06/12/20 at 20:10:42

Miles Davis "Water Babies" Columbia/Sony CD (from the Complete Columbia Albums box set).

I used to play in fire hydrants in Phladelphia as a kid in the summer. One of the neighbors would come along with a monkey wrench and open it up and kids, black and white, from the blocks about would run to cavort in the water and sail popsickle boats down the gutters. And in about an hour the City guys would show up and turn it off. The hydrant was just at the end of my block. This would happen about five times a summer.

When I hear the RMI pianos playing on side two I'm taken back to the trailer of one of my friends in the 'seventies where he had one of these distinctive sounding pianos and I would fool around with it.

Followed by
Joe Henderson "Double Rainbow" Verve cd

Jobim. . . and Joe. . .these are a few of my favorite things.

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #18906 - 06/12/20 at 20:43:38

Jazz at the Plaza Vol. I
Live album by Miles Davis
Recorded in 1958 and released in 1973

While still in lock down I'm making a conscious effort to expand my musical horizons and learn to embrace Miles Davis and the jazz of the 50s and 60s. I'm getting there very very slowly.  While I still struggle with Miles Davis and John Coltrane I am developing a greater appreciation for Bill Evans.  No Giant Steps for me... yet just baby steps trying to fill the hole in my musical repertoire.

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18907 - 06/12/20 at 22:06:24

It's interesting. . . I know many jazz people who can be into Miles and Coltrane. . . and not "get" Bill Evans. So there are so many different ways to be into jazz! There are many "Miles Davis" and many "John Coltrane". . . and maybe a couple of "Bill Evans". . . .

I got into jazz through electric period Mile Davis and then one day I noticed that he put right on his record cover that he loved Duke Ellington so I started listening to Ellington of the late 'thirties to tne early 'fifties and caught the bug. There is so much in that period of Duke: pop, traditional New Orleans jazz, swing, blues, a smattering of bebop, gave me many flavors to taste. Then following sidemen of Miles back before the electric period I began to understand modern jazz. . . .

I hope you find your path through this journey and enjoy.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18908 - 06/12/20 at 22:29:52

I bought the Dexter Gordon Montmartre Cafe material in this series as well as the Thelonious Monk Black Lion material in this series and love the sound. So I ordered this one and it arrived today. Wow. This is some of my favorite Konitz which I only have on very early dull sounding cds and this is a real improvement.

Lee Konitz At Storyville/At Harvard Square/Konitz (Japanese paper sleeve edition) Storyville/Muzak (Japan 2 cd set)

konitz_lee__leekonitz_103b.jpg

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #18909 - 06/13/20 at 02:31:47

Roy Buchanan - When A Guitar Plays The Blues

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #18910 - 06/13/20 at 04:23:51

An absolute gem of a song.

https://youtu.be/OkOB57UcYk8

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #18911 - 06/13/20 at 15:34:41

Jackson Browne - Late For The Sky

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #18912 - 06/13/20 at 20:27:53

OMG!
Porgy and Bess
Louis Armstrong and singer Ella Fitzgerald
Released on Verve Records in 1958

My musician experience is varied which is why I don’t understand why I like some stuff and other stuff is beyond me.  I played the baritone in the high school marching band for six years.  (no it didn’t me six years to get thru high school it was a very small school and I started in junior high).  Baritones hardly ever have a solo but provide the bottom for the lead instruments. I also had piano lessons starting way before that.  I even played the baritone in a brass ensemble in college (again really small school I was never very good).  I think now the reason I was never that good or even adequate was probably my dislike of having to play scales over and over again.  That might even have something to do with why I struggle with some types of jazz as it just sounds like scales played very very fast but it also tends to be solo work within the band with people taking turns showing of the scale work.  I love big band where even the solos have the interplay with the band providing a harmony behind them and Bill Evans... I just read and article about his relationship with Miles and how he evolved from bebop from scale based to a different form of structure.  His harmonies are amazing.

Now that I've overshared I'm open to suggestions to assist me reach the higher plain of musical understanding.

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #18913 - 06/13/20 at 21:00:42

Another rendition of a great song.  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sikon3v3eyE

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18914 - 06/13/20 at 21:12:54

Hi Dana,

I had a different musical experience in that I learned first to read music, then to play piano and drums--self-taught by ear--and then to play bass and guitar, self-taught and by ear. I'm not good at anything really except I will claim to be a decent drummer. . . but I also never practiced scales. Ever. So I don't hear jazz as a lot of scale playing whether that is accurate or not, and soloing being pretty much what I do more than anything else on all but drums I connect with the soloing in jazz big time.

I would suggest two other artists that sort of bridge the gap of bebop and modal styles and were a big influence on Miles (Jamal and Russell) and Evans (Russell). That is try listening to Ahmad Jamal the pianist and George Russell, the pianist but mostly band leader. Russell developed a modal style that Miles, Mingus and many others seized upon and stretched further and he was an interesting composer. Jamal is an exquisite and dedicated stylist and his use of melody, and his utilization of "space" in the line were big influences on Miles in the 'fifties. And their music might help you get into other music of the 'fifties and 'sixties.

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #18915 - 06/13/20 at 22:37:25

As I know how important your BFFs are on the interweb.  Your last post gets a like and a thumbs up.

I realize you don’t stream (or text) but I was able to take your recommendation and listen to it in near CD quality.  I could at least relate to a majority of the album so I’m feeling much better about my quest.  This is what I’ve been looking for.
THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO RESPOND!

Amazon Music HD
On to Ahmad Jamal

George Russell Sextet in K.C. (subtitled Original Swinging Instrumentals)
George Russell recorded (despite the title) in a New York
Released 1961

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18916 - 06/13/20 at 22:45:41

I'm glad you enjoyed the recommendation(s).

If you want to experience something quite different. . . I'd say try some Ornette Coleman. You may get into his rather unconventional conception of jazz. I would start with . . . "Change of the Century" on Atlantic.

You also may like some jazz by guitarist leaders. Grant Green is a favorite of mine as he uses repeated phrases for tension and release and he has a lyrical basic foundation to his playing. My favorites are "Feelin' the Spirit" and "Idle Moments," both on Blue Note. Should be easy to stream.

Now playing
Joe Henderson "Lush Life: the Music of Billy Strayhorn"

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18917 - 06/13/20 at 23:41:11

I just love this one. Very late Jobim, selections by other Brazilian songwriters he recorded for an excellent series of cds produced in Brazil featuring Brazilian artists performing the songbooks of Brazilian composers. All Jobim's contributions to the series are collected here. Lovely music.

Tom Jobim "My Soul Sings"

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #18918 - 06/14/20 at 02:24:20

The Thin White Duke

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #18919 - 06/14/20 at 15:40:31

Streamed Amazon HD

Happy Moods
Ahmad Jamal
Released: 1960

Jazz in the Space Age
George Russell
Hits the nail on the head!  Very enjoyable with first listen but needs to be listened to many more times to really figure out what’s going on

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18920 - 06/14/20 at 16:25:42

Dana wrote on 06/14/20 at 15:40:31:
Streamed Amazon HD

http://i.maniadb.com/images/album/300/300505_1_f.jpg

Happy Moods
Ahmad Jamal

https://www.jazzmessengers.com/44410-large_default/jazz-in-the-space-age.jpg

Jazz in the Space Age
George Russell
Hits the nail on the head!  Very enjoyable with first listen but needs to be listened to many more times to really figure out what’s going on

:D

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18921 - 06/15/20 at 14:43:13

Lee Konitz "On Harvard Square" Black Lion

From this 2 cd collection from Muzak Japan

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18922 - 06/15/20 at 19:06:15

"on the tender spot of every calloused moment" Ambrose Akinmusire

I'm really divided about this one. I do like the playing of the piano trio supporting him, as with his previous two cd live release. . . and just like that I'm not that enamoured of the trumpeting or compositions. Sound is pretty good. . . an interesting first listen if not my cup of tea.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18923 - 06/15/20 at 19:49:52

Barney Wilen "Live in Tokyo '91" disc 2

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18924 - 06/17/20 at 13:25:52

Jacques Morelenbaum and CelloSam3aTrio "Suadade do Futuro, Futuro do Saudade"

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18925 - 06/17/20 at 22:54:59

Listening to music performed on an organ built by my great great great great great grandfather.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18926 - 06/22/20 at 17:01:58

Learned of this one via the PS Audio forum. Quite nice! This Canadian singer is new to me, but she has a lovely voice and makes me think of Blossom Dearie and Karrin Allison. Nice bossa nova with vibes and violin featured nicely. Some nice singing in French as well.

Diana Panton, "To Brazil with Love"

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18927 - 06/24/20 at 16:03:34

These Muzak/Japan reissues in 2 cd sets sound wonderful--I have this one and the Monk, Gordon, Griffin, Sims/Brookmeyer and Konitz. I'm debating whether to get the Jackie and Roy.

Ben Webster "Saturday Night at the Montmartre" 

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18928 - 06/24/20 at 16:45:12

Trying this one again. I like Shabaka here but overall I really don't get into the style of these. . . .which has kept me from buying their other discs. . . so far. . . .

The Comet is Coming "Channeling the Spirits/Prophecy"

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18929 - 06/24/20 at 19:17:03

Eddie Gale "Black Rythm Happening" Blue Note Japan

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #18930 - 06/25/20 at 02:44:34

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #18931 - 06/26/20 at 02:43:52

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18932 - 06/26/20 at 15:08:00

One of my very favorite Brazilian jazz discs. Just so Brazilian. . . and so jazz. And for members of the secret international organization of Maucha Adnet afficianados this is essential. Wink

And I breezed through a shelf and saw this as a followup, which is an album I have definitely overlooked of late, and one that always impresses me:

Monday Michiru "Soulception" . . .

Fits in perfectly after the Da Fonseca. Wow, this is one of three or four Monday cds that every time I hear it I think "This is my favorite!" It's certainly A favorite. She is really on form here.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18933 - 06/26/20 at 15:33:04

Last week and earlier this week I explored some Stefon Harris from my collection. When these came out I listened to them and thought they were cool, then I set them aside for a while and revisiting them I'm more impressed. Great sequencing for albums, great arrangement, nice blend of jazz and latin and funkrock in varying mixes. Very good engineering and mastering as well. And Harris plays in unexpected ways.
Evolution

A Cloud of Red Dust

Ninetymiles

The Grand Unification Theory

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #18934 - 06/26/20 at 20:15:43

The Blues and the Abstract Truth
Oliver Nelson
Recorded: 1961

the song Stolen Moments is so familiar to me as if it was used in a TV show or a movie but I can't place it.

Any idea where that song was used?
Thanks in advance!

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18935 - 06/26/20 at 22:34:19

That's interesting. I know the song was sung by Mark Murphy and by Betty Carter with Carmen McRae with two different sets of lyrics.

And I have heard a high school and a college marching band perform an arrangement.

But outside of that I don't know of a wider audienced version of this. Would be interested to discover if there is one.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #18936 - 06/27/20 at 03:28:18

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #18937 - 06/27/20 at 14:57:01

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #18938 - 06/27/20 at 17:12:27

MFSL Vinyl - Bob Dylan - Blood On The Tracks

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18939 - 06/28/20 at 21:47:23

Listening to the timely (nearly sixty year old) track "Fables of Faubus"

Charles Mingus "Presents Charles Mingus"

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18940 - 06/29/20 at 01:28:48

The Complete Blind Willie Johnson, disc 2.

This guy scares me, makes me fear for my mortal soul! And he's so good a player and singer.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #18941 - 06/29/20 at 01:48:23

Agreed Lon. IMO, Dark Was The Night, Cold Was The Ground is one of the greatest, most soulful songs ever recorded. Only one that felt truly alone and having absolutely nothing could had performed such a song. Chilling.

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18942 - 06/29/20 at 02:48:37

Chilling is indeed the right word.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #18943 - 07/01/20 at 01:22:47

Derek and the Dominos - Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #18944 - 07/02/20 at 03:40:05

Another from my collection of Mercury Living Presence recordings. This is one of the early ones - 1954, and sounds like it was recorded yesterday.

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18945 - 07/02/20 at 18:59:13

Right now I'm listening to the SF Jazz Collective set I have that I return to the most, the "Music of Antonio Carlos Jobim and Original Compositions" . . . . This second disc is pretty spectacular. Great compositions, arrangements, obviously well-rehearsed and exquisitely performed. The sound is so good too--it whispers and roars and never becomes strident or compressed. The energy flows right out to the listener.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18946 - 07/02/20 at 19:21:58

On to the lovely Monday Michiru, "4 Seasons" disc 1

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #18947 - 07/03/20 at 01:14:44

Relaxing in the backyard with some Remy XO and a cigar and decided to put on some Ben Webster.  This is such a great album to chill out to.

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #18948 - 07/04/20 at 19:10:38

Gal Costa / Caetano Veloso
Domingo

Tom Waits: