Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 06:12:06 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DFR8 AND THE NFX CABINET (Read 16441 times)
rhinohifi714
Verified Member

DFR8 AND THE NFX CABINET
02/19/09 at 02:05:59

Last year I purchased a pair of the DFR8's from Steve and tried them in cabinets that just did not show the true potential of the driver. I never have been a fan of horns, had a few different designs using Lowthers plus a set of Klipsch cornerhorns.  When I seen the release of the NFX cabinets I went out on a limb and dedcided to try them. The cabinets are a strange design similar to an old set of electrovoice cabinets I had several years ago, that's where the similarity ends. The sound of these cabinets is like there is no cabinet at all. They remind me of a set of Magnepans I tried years ago, but the mid's and highs simply blow the sound that came from the panels away, amazing, fast, fast, fast...
The only thing these speakers lack is the bottom, under 50hz. but I use a set of Miller and Krissel Volkswoofers for that area, crossed over at 80hz. I have to give it to Steve, the speakers and the beautiful cabinets are a definate upgrade to my system. I am using a set of 300B single ended amp that just loves them.
Once again Thanks Steve, job well done.
Would like to insert some pic's but not sure how.

IP Logged
RFZ_Quest
Seasoned Member

Re: DFR8 AND THE NFX CABINET
Reply #1 - 02/19/09 at 18:29:01

Just curious if you are the one that ordered the NFX cabinets back in August of last year without the drivers? These would have been the set done in Oak over black. I know that the driver cut-out was provided specifically for the DFR-8 installation.

You can easily post your photo's from a third party server such as http://www.photobucket.com.

They provide free storage space for your images plus offer the ability to modify/ resize your photo's prior to posting. It is usually best to downsize your images to around 600 pixels in width so that it is viewed easily within the forum frame.

Good luck.

Paul.

IP Logged
rhinohifi714
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 02/19/09 at 20:47:57

IP Logged
rmt
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 02/25/09 at 02:57:50

Nice looking speakers boxes you have there.   I know they sound great, mine do.  Your observation of the frequency reponse is similar to mine.

Select, CSP2 upgrade, Dec 685, DSRii, Nibbelin NFX w/DFR-8s, SE34.I, Zbox
  IP Logged
Imkhawx
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/21/10 at 13:06:39

I've ordered an NFX and am now eagerly awaiting for them to be completed.

Currently I am using a Loth-X Polaris with Stamm Drivers and am very happy with it. But there's always a little too much "shout" that I've struggled to tame over the years. Not much mind you but always there. The bass of these speakers are exceptional and if theres one concern I have with the NFX is the weight of the sound.

It's going to be very interesting to see how the NFX compares when driven with my 2A3 monoblocks.

For those of you who currently own an NFX, it would be nice to read your impressions and feedback to date.... like length of break-in period and optimizing the positioning.... How they respond when they're placed close to the wall etc etc.

IP Logged
Imkhawx
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 12/04/10 at 03:57:07

I've been using the NFX for a month now and they're absolutely superb.

Initially they were extremely bright and didn't sound too good and to be honest, I was a little disappointed.... but after about 3 weeks or so, there was a sudden change and the speakers really perked up.

And what a change it was! Everything simply opened up with SUPERB imaging and soundstaging. There was a very nice weight to the sound..... and in my room there was simply no need to add a subwoofer. Reminds me of a good Maggie panel but with way better bass.

I ran them with an old Zen SE84BW built in 1999 which I had picked up 2nd hand and they were simply marvelous. When I used them with my main system through my 2A3 monoblocks, they were even better.
Compared to my Polaris, they couldn't quite match up but ran the Loth-X speakers pretty damn close. And remember, the Polaris cost about 5 times as much!

I'm now using the NFX as a 2nd system in my bedroom.

For those of you who've been put off by the 50Hz bottom end, thinking there would not be enough bass, trust me, you'll be surprised by the weight of the sound. This is truly a remarkable speaker..... after a month of hard running in ..... Grin

For the price, I sincerely believe you'd be hard pressed to find a better full range speaker. Not without weaknesses (sensitive to placement) for sure but simply superb and most importantly fun.... I'd recommend anyone to get a pair.... You won't regret it.

I could not be happier.

IP Logged
opnly_bafld
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 12/04/10 at 04:03:06

Thanks for the update!

Lin

IP Logged
Imkhawx
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 01/08/11 at 10:43:51

Another quick update.

I was initially to lazy to do anything more than place the NFX on a pair of 2 inch slate blocks and they were already brilliant. Last night, I finally got off me @rse and spiked them with some Soundcare Superspikes.

HUGE difference..... Bass tightened up and soundstage opened up even more.

Deffinitely recommend anyone to spike these boys...... Makes an already superb speaker, even better.

IP Logged
ski bum
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 02/04/11 at 17:33:46

Has anyone had the pleasure of hearing the NFX with Steve's new hot rodded FRX driver?  I'm wondering how the NFX box produces bass as compared to the acoustic chamber of the OB.  Steve? Anyone?

IP Logged
Imkhawx
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 04/24/11 at 16:27:10

I was curious about this as well.

My last communication with Steve revealed that he had indeed thought about it but have not had the time/opportunity to try the FRX in the NFX as yet.

I think there may be a problem though..... besides the potential sonic limitations..... I doubt if the FRX will fit into the NFX as the cabinet may not be deep enough. Plus, based on the available literature, I think that Steve suggests a ported cabinet of a minimum size of 16 cubic feet. So the NFX may be too small.

Hopefully Steve will have some info once he has the time to try it out. Will be difficult though as I think he's out of stock of the FRX!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print