03/28/24 at 13:11:56 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Speaker cables? (Read 30028 times)
76doublebass
Ex Member

Speaker cables?
01/19/09 at 08:00:56

Where are any posts on Steve's speaker cables? Has anyone tried them out?
Don C.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Speaker cables?
Reply #1 - 02/08/09 at 02:03:25

Apparently anyone who has tried them out isn't posting!

I've always wondered. . . I finally found speaker cables I loved right before he introduced them so I've never tried them . . . .

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 03/06/09 at 15:26:08

Okay, in my final spurt of buying for a while (new speakers x 2, new amp, new source!) I ordered a pair of these to try.  Will have them likely the end of next week. Smiley

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 03/14/09 at 16:20:52

Well, I received the Zen Styx yesterday.  It's probably silly to talk of these so early on, with only about 15 hours of play on them, but. . . .

Wow, these are not in any way or shape "harsh" or "thin."  These have wonderful light within them, silky and smooth.  They're very very "quick."

I know it will take some time for these to open up and be all that they can be.  I hope they develop a bit more heft and bass weight. . . I really hope they do, that's the one area they are at present deficient.  Beautiful sound that needs that lower presence.

My whole stereo is so changing. . . I took all the Decware front end and amplification products out for a while while I wait for the EL34I.2, and I will have new Radials soon, and I'm using a new Sony SACD source (very very nice player, wow) and so I have a lot of "new things" all brewing together at once.  Great sound, altogether, that will be in flux for a month or so, but it's fun, I'm enjoying the difference and the transition.  I needed one!

I'll write more about these cables in the weeks to come. But initial impressions are very favorable.

IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/15/09 at 14:37:33

"Final spurt of buying", yea, right!  Talk about reinventing the wheel. Wink

I alternate between Zen Styx and Kimber wire.  As always, the Decware product is better.

dennis

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 03/15/09 at 15:10:56

Dennis,

Did you find the Styx "heften" up a bit, give better bass response, after some long hours?  Thanks.

IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/15/09 at 15:50:36

Hey Lon,

The short answer (to these ears) is yes.  I have a set of horn speakers that are notorious for their lack of bass.  The lower registers are well defined, I think.

dennis

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 03/15/09 at 16:26:49

Thanks Dennis. Was this an evolving thing, or there from the start of use of the speakers?

I find they need improvement in that area now, in my system.

IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/16/09 at 04:17:34

Lon, I understand your issues here.  Regretfully, my experience with the speaker wires would not relate to your question.  You see, I have used them with many different speakers.   The horns are relatively new to the mix.   The Styx were first used with RL3's and I was not happy with the bass performance.  The Radials were replaced with 15" OB's and many others for short periods.

Honest, I am not nuts, just fortunate enough to be in possession of some fairly good speakers (my hobby).

When all is said and done the music is what I enjoy!

dennis

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 03/16/09 at 14:27:36

Dennis,

Never for a minute did I think you were nuts!  :)  I would say the bass performance is the thing that I like least of all about the RL2s, and so I can understand that.  I've been experimenting with room placement once again and I have to say that I love this speaker wire, and only wish for a bit more bass presence (the previous speaker wire had it, PS Audio XStream Statement). . . . It will likely arrive with time; their sister interconnects took time to bloom.  Also the wires may behave totally differently with the new Radials that will arrive in the future.

Thanks for your help!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #10 - 03/18/09 at 11:17:33

Okay, two things:

* I reinstalled the Decware ZBox, CSP2 and SE34 Monoblocks in the system.  Hum is much minimized without the ZCD in the system.  Sound is really really good with my new Sony SACD player.

* The Styx sound oh so good with the tube amps and the bass is blossoming. These cables have a wonderful tonal clarity to them.  Why didn't I order these long ago?  They solve some of my treble problems in one fell swoop.  If they heften up just a bit more they'll be like Goldilock's porrige for me.  I'm sure they'll be awesome with the E34I.2.

IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 03/18/09 at 11:59:50

Old Fool screws up, big time.  Major construction in listening room, a speaker falls over, both WBT banana plugs broke. Cry

Bet this ain't gonna be cheap to fix.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12 - 03/18/09 at 14:50:52

Ooh, that's a drag. . . I did that a year ago with my PS Audio XStream Statement cables.  Luckily those have screw-on tips and PS Audio sent me replacement ones in a big jiffy, no charge.

On the Styx, I ordered them unterminated and am going with Audioquest bananas (screw tightened). . .not as expensive, easy to do onself.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13 - 03/22/09 at 14:24:40

These speaker cables continue to impress!

The treble is free of a tiny bit of harshness I always faced with other cables.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #14 - 03/30/09 at 00:06:43

It's been two weeks of heavy use, and I think that these speakers are probably "broken in."

To be honest, I'd love to have more bass.  But to also be honest, I think these speakers are giving me what I have, accurately and very congenially.  The treble is as good as I have ever heard it in this system.  And the midrange is very open and vivid.  There's no harshness and no congestion.  These are remarkable cables.

IP Logged
76doublebass
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 04/02/09 at 14:47:26

very interesting on the speaker cables.I trust Steves ears.If he made these cables for the Zen amps I suppose the 2 together would be a match made in heaven. The midrange reproduction must be very outstanding. How is the imaging and or sounstage reproduction?
And is the bass improving?
Don Curry Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16 - 04/02/09 at 17:20:27

The bass seems to be holding steady at "almost just enough."  I think this is a very accurate portrayal of my system and my room.  So I'd say that these are very accurate.

Imaging and soundstage are wonderful.  These are very impressive speaker cables.  I ended up crimping some spades on the ends . . . probably not ideal but really didn't notice any downsides to just using plain wire ends (which is hard with most speaker and amp posts.)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17 - 05/22/09 at 16:27:57

Okay. . . another six weeks have gone by.

There is more bass.  

I continue to believe these are the best speaker cables I've ever heard.  Little known secret on the Decware website.  Glad I gave in and ordered a pair!

I think it's wise that Steve has these to offer now, and not the other choices he had before. Those were intimidating those choices. . . what if you chose wrong?  I didn't choose wrong choosing these Styx!

IP Logged
KellyB

If you can't enjoy
the sound, it's just
noise!!!

Reply #18 - 09/12/09 at 09:13:03

I've just ordered a pr. of 10 ft. Zen Styx & am awaiting them!!! Will let you know how I like them before & after burn-in! I had some silver-coated copper Vampire Wire speaker wires back in the early '80's & they sounded much better than the original Monster Cables, but over the years the casing cracked & the wire corroded!!

What terminals(best value) do you recommend, Anyone? I have my Selects in for the CCE mod, does anyone know what it would cost for Steve to upgrade the speaker terminals per amp? I'm quite excited to hear the CCE mods & will listen to the amps first, then put the Zen Styxs in the system!!!

Happy Tunes,
KellyB

Decware SE84CS X 2 (CCE-mod); Decware RL-3s; Decware Interconnect cables; ZenStyx speaker cables; Stax CA-Z Preamp; Stax SR-X Mk III Earspeakers; Pro-ject 2.9 Wood TT; Soundsmith SMMC2 Cart.; JBL Sig. Series Loudspeakers(vintage, '70); etc.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19 - 11/29/09 at 20:08:26

Kelly?  Did you get your cables!?

I'm enjoying these more and more as time goes by. The cleanest and most natural sounding I've ever had.

I used crimp on spades.

IP Logged
KellyB

If you can't enjoy
the sound, it's just
noise!!!

Reply #20 - 12/26/09 at 09:24:57

Merry Christmas to everyone!!!

Lon: After a mishap of mine, I finally have my 10' non-terminated ZenStyx! Because of the very large ga. of each end, what BRAND of speaker terminal &/or speaker wire terminal do you recommend? Each tip of the bare ends are tinned, is there a terminal that is big enough to fit over & twist-on OR crimp-on? ANYONE have any recommendations, please?

If I have to cut-off the tinned end, what method will give the cleanest result? I have cutters & I also have a Dremel tool(cut-off wheel)!

I do have some gold-plated Monster Cable banana clips that i could use if I cut-off the tinned ends! Are crimped spades the best? What spades will fit the ZenStyx, Zen Selects, & RL-3 speaker terminals?

ANYONE can add their 2 cents!!!

I also purchased two short pieces of smaller ga. silver wire to mono each Select - going under the amps from red to black speaker terminals.

I hope everyone had a good year & will have a prosperous new year!!! KellyB

Decware SE84CS X 2 (CCE-mod); Decware RL-3s; Decware Interconnect cables; ZenStyx speaker cables; Stax CA-Z Preamp; Stax SR-X Mk III Earspeakers; Pro-ject 2.9 Wood TT; Soundsmith SMMC2 Cart.; JBL Sig. Series Loudspeakers(vintage, '70); etc.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21 - 12/27/09 at 00:51:15

I don't really know what to recommend as I am not a connoisseur of connectors and have little experience.  I decided to do crimp-on spades, and the ones I found that were wide enough were from Radio Shack. I believe they were meant to connect to battery posts perhaps, 9-volt or those on a small twelve volt like a motorcycle battery. They were not "spades" per se but circular ends with a center hole.  The crimp end was just the right size for the tinned end of the speaker cables.  I simply took wire cutters and made a "spade" out of the circular ends.

I'm sure there are better choices and maybe some that will have a better "sonic" impact.  But I didn't find them easily, and I find that these pretty much sound the same as the tinned ends directly on the terminals (tricky, but I got that to work just to get started.)

IP Logged
KellyB

If you can't enjoy
the sound, it's just
noise!!!

Reply #22 - 12/30/09 at 16:29:02

I went to Radio Shack & got some gold-plated Solderless Ring Terminals for 8-gauge wire with a 5/16" hole, Part No. 278-334. I will have to snip(open?) the ends of each circle because the plastic tightening nuts for the terminals on the amps & speakers cannot be removed without breaking them, so you could slip the ring terminals over the studs! Do the new-style speaker output terminal nuts come completely off?

Lon: These might be the same terminals you have!

Tip: Cut the tinned portion of each(Zen Styx) non-terminated end off so it will be easier to crimp the terminal, because the silver solder is VERY hard to crimp!!! MAKE SURE YOU LEAVE ENOUGH WIRE TO CRIMP!!!

Will try to finish & hook-up the Zen Styx today & start the burn-in period. How long will it take to "burn-in"?

Thanks for all the tips!!!
Kelly

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23 - 12/31/09 at 12:07:45

Kelly,

I'm pretty sure those are the same connectors I used.  I had to trim the circular ends as well to make a "spade-like" end; I didn't try to remove the binding-posts to avoid cutting the ends.

I just used my manly power and a pair of visegrips to do the crimping.  Gog a good connection easily.  

I found the sound slowly changed over the first month. . . took a long time as I remember for the lowest sounds to finally be full, but always sounded different and very enjoyable to me from the start.

IP Logged
proud_indian
Seasoned Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #24 - 07/23/10 at 17:30:17

I was reading the notes on the speaker cables. At 8AWG, I am sure that it must have taken a long time to break in. It would be nice to hear the details from the ones who have it.

shreekant Smiley

Oppo, hdd,84c, pm6a, cd200, foreplay lll, zbox, bottlehead sex amp, zob, various stuff that make up two systems
WWW   IP Logged
proud_indian
Seasoned Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #25 - 07/29/10 at 06:48:47

Ooops!! I only read the last few posts and thought it was about connectors Embarrassed

Lon, that means it took you about two months to get it to settle down. I am sure they must be sounding great!!

shreekant  :)

Oppo, hdd,84c, pm6a, cd200, foreplay lll, zbox, bottlehead sex amp, zob, various stuff that make up two systems
WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #26 - 07/29/10 at 11:59:07

There's an awful lot of wire in these cables!  I wouldn't say it took that long to settle down, but it did take time for them to begin to be all they can be.  Just like the amps I find that improvements, seasoning come with time.

I'm very happy with these cables. VERY happy.  They're the perfect complement to the amps and speakers.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 05/13/11 at 03:53:57

Good to hear Lon. I ordered. Pair with my first ERRs.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 06/03/11 at 14:42:35

And then I ordered more. Put in the final orders for my ICs, ZenStyx, and power cables in a final spurt of buying (to paraphrase Lon).

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #29 - 06/03/11 at 16:16:07

I think it's so cool that you're getting the bes that Decware has to offer, all at one whack.

And NOW, when Decware is just firing on all cylinders. What a great time to be an audio fan.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #30 - 06/03/11 at 19:08:07

As I drove to work this morning, I thought back on all the audio stuff I have owned or heard, and I cannot remember truly making a bet on so much "stuff" that I have never heard. I have ordered speakers without hearing them once or twice, but nothing I would view as a deep commitment. When the ERRs were still $1495, I went back and forth so many times, and then decided not to buy. It was finally having a "need" of a sort, an amp that could drive my LCD-2 headphones, that caused me to take the Taboo plunge. And it was my experience with the Taboo that convinced me of Decware's bona fides, gave me confidence that what Steve said he was doing and delivering could be believed, whose compass and azimuth seemed aligned with my own.

In that context, Steve's assessments of this category of items—cables—gains a credibility that many hype-sters don't have in my eyes. I know there are audiophile who buy ICs and power cables that cost more than my entire Decware investment! But my Taboo experience, Steve's written words, and the experience of fellow forum members all seem so well-aligned around real, measurable performance and value. And the very few reviews out there, from people who listened with open ears and minds, are very encouraging.

So, yes, it is exciting to be deploying an all-new, nearly all-Decware system against which I will actually only measure my enjoyment. No real A/B comparisons, no more traipsing around trying to "remember" what I heard at the last store or gallery. I suppose I will be comparing against my LCD-2s...........driven by the Taboo, of course. Grin

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 06/04/11 at 15:44:11

I guess that wasn't my last order. I forgot my center channel amp. And it will need cables too............

IP Logged
kana813
Ex Member

Reply #32 - 06/06/11 at 22:29:01

In the ZenStyx's product description it says:

"These cables have the advantage of being able to be run as separate conductors spaced apart so that there is no magnetic interaction between the positive and negative."

What spacing of positive and negative runs should be used to prevent magnetic interaction?

IP Logged
kana813
Ex Member

Reply #33 - 06/09/11 at 04:30:05

"What spacing of positive and negative runs should be used to prevent magnetic interaction? "

I guess this is a hard question.

Emailed it to Steve.

IP Logged
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 07/30/12 at 13:51:01

how can there be magnetic interaction between non magnetic material

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #35 - 01/24/13 at 19:42:59

current passing thru wire creates an electrical/magnetic field around the conductor/s... thats why/how transformers and inductors can do what they do.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print