Help for beginners (Read 6887 times)
Azul Shiva

Visit
www.ambiophonics.org
for a better sound!

Help for beginners
01/12/09 at 15:38:16

Hi There!

The last 6 months I've been gathering information on how to make perfect listening conditions in a basic room. Frequently asked questiones can be asked and answered here.

slide28.jpg

Visit www.ambiophonics.org for a better sound!
  IP Logged
Azul Shiva

Visit
www.ambiophonics.org
for a better sound!

Re: Help for beginners
Reply #1 - 01/12/09 at 15:49:59

The seat should be 38% of the room length close to the rear wall, the front speakers in a 60° angle. The Subwoofer (You need one (!) filling the octave from 20Hz to 40Hz which your standard speakers cannot play) should be 38% of the room length close to the front wall at the left wall.

The floor should be carpeted, (carpet's better than wood) 50% of the ceiling (in the center of it) are to be covered with omniffusors (http://www.rpginc.com/products/omniffusor/index.htm), 60% of the rear and right wall should be covered with diffractals ( http://www.rpginc.com/products/diffractal/index.htm) from the floor to 1.8 meters above the floor.

So much for diffusion. 60% of the left and front wall should be covered with 10cm RPG BAD Panels (10cm Rockwool's OK too). The entire rest of the room should be covered with gypsum board.

You will also need bass traps.Think in terms of: what's the largest I can make ‘em and still get in the room rather than what’s the smallest I can get away with. The rear corners are the most important ones. Make corner bass traps as shown in the attached picture above. The basstraps should go all the way up to the ceiling or at least 1.8 meters high. Fill the inside of the box with always 2 inches of Rockwool and 1 inch of bubble wrap. Make the box from 19mm MDF. THE BOX MUST BE SEALED AND 100% AIR TIGHT!! The front of the box should  be covered with Absorbtion material (RPG BAD Panels 10cm) The bases WILL travel through the wood. It's a common mistake not to seal the box. Then you can make as many bass traps (Sealed and with an absorbtive front cover) as you can fit into the room. They must be at least 25cm deep.

Depending on how large your room is, the costs should vary between 3000 and 5000 Dollars if you build the diffusers by your own. Show me a better home-suitable room setup than this; goodbye:! I'm off on a 3 months vacation in the carribean.

If someone disagrees with all of this, please report.

IP Logged
Azul Shiva

Visit
www.ambiophonics.org
for a better sound!

Reply #2 - 03/31/09 at 12:57:18

"The floor should be carpeted, (carpet's better than wood) 50% of the ceiling (in the center of it) are to be covered with omniffusors (http://www.rpginc.com/products/omniffusor/index.htm), 60% of the rear and right wall should be covered with diffractals ( http://www.rpginc.com/products/diffractal/index.htm) from the floor to 1.8 meters above the floor."

Sorry to change stuff here: I actually meant 2D diffusors for the ceiling and 1D diffusors for the walls. The link is just an example.

IP Logged
henry perez
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/12/11 at 11:40:29

After fulfilling the requirements as suggested, won't that spoil the interior of the room?

IP Logged
JSantos
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 03/07/16 at 11:20:29

Would carpet over wood also work? I've a carpet over mine and I'm not really sure if it's causing some midrange freq sinks in my recordings...

IP Logged
Jeff1

Reply #5 - 03/09/16 at 02:05:24

I can't say I agree that all of the diffusers you mention are needed for the basic room set up/start up. I would think by starting with all that stuff right off will remove your base line for comparing additional and/or adjusting acoustical treatments. I do believe that the 3rds or the 38% rules that are out there create acoustical problems because not all rooms are of the same proportions, after all those companies have to sell goods. Thoughts on the sub placement, center between main speakers on the same plane to keep nice tight accurate bass.

PI Audio Uberbuss, Esoteric K05X, ELF gold Interconnect, TabooMK4,ZMF Silver Michanikos, ZMF Atrium Closed Back.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print