Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 17:30:18 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New member (Read 33031 times)
Glass-n-vinyl
Ex Member

01/01/09 at 06:15:21

Hello everyone. I just joined the group since I have been reading for over a week. I spoke with Steve yesterday and ordered some Decware which will probably be my last system. I did order a pair of the new radials. Steve said delivery time would be 8-10 weeks, with a March 2 birthday coming up I hope they are done in 8. Steve also said the fan stain on the speakers was on the production model and quite nice. The rest I ordered is Taboo amp, CSP2 pre and ZP3 phono stage. I never felt pressured but Steve guided me towards a system that would do what I wanted. I am excited, anxious and willing to listen and learn.

I have both Mapleshade Gold Helix and Kimber 8TC speaker wires to try. All my interconnects are Kimber KCAG. Sources come from Adcom CD changer and Pro-ject TT. I suppose I own most of the usual tweeks audiophyles fall for. Speakers till the Radials come are Jean Marie Reynaud Twin II.

My music tasts are pretty open. I really don't care for cowboy music, yodeling or whistling but I can suffer through more than most men my age (62) can. I am retired, in poor health but I'm a pretty game felly and they won't throw dirt on me without a good fight. Hope to chat with you guys often as I learn my new system.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: New member
Reply #1 - 01/01/09 at 13:21:59

G'nV, WELCOME!

You have some wonderful listening ahead of you!  Glad you selected Decware, I anticipate you will discover great sound!  Please keep us posted, as you know if you've been reading, I love to hear impressions of the Radial speakers. I'd also like to hear about the differences between the two speaker cables.

Happy New Year!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Glass-n-vinyl
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/01/09 at 15:33:34

Thank you for the welcome. I also use the Mapleshade maple platforms but on a VTI audio video three shelf rack. I have stacked isoblocks under the slabs and use heavy feet between the component and the slab. There is an audible difference.

I was wondering on the speaker wires should the wire be terminated or unterminated? My Mapleshades are unterminated bare wire but the Kimber has bananas on each end. I recently put some of the Mapleshade silver paste on all my tube pins and connectors. It sounds ok but the main reason I am upgrading is because I made a purchasing mistake and the integrated amp I am using just isn't crankin' my tractor if you get what I mean. I bought an 8 watt SET built by Tec-on. It's cute as hell, heavy as a McIntosh but it runs out of gas to early. I loved my Twin II speakers when I was powering them with a NYAL Modified Moscode 75 but the Apt Holman pre needed recapping and then everything started snowballing downhill till I finally made the call to Steve.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 01/01/09 at 15:50:59

Well you can use either terminated or non-terminated speaker cables on the Decware amp and the Radials.  I know Sprey of Mapleshade believes in non-terminated; I'm using some PS Audio XStream cables that I got really cheap and they have bannanas, no problem with them either.  Before that I was using cryo'd cat five single strand wires unterminated, worked great as well!

The Taboo and the Radial combination shouldn't run out of steam for you unless you have a really big room and really need "head-banging" sound.  And boy the detail and the imaging and soundstage you get. . . wow.  You're in for a real treat I believe.  I'm very happy for you and do welcome you to the club.  Music listening may dominate your leisure time the way it does mine (and I listen to tv and dvds and blu-rays through this system too, and boy it's an experience!)

I just in the last few weeks spent some Xmas money and updated my Mapleshade maple platforms to 4". . . wish I'd done this much earlier.  In a way the difference is subtle, because it's so consistently the same sound as the 2" but with real depth and weight that's there when you don't think about it and really surprising when you do!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #4 - 01/01/09 at 17:30:44

Glass--
Welcome to the forum!
Nice to have another old feller here!
I'm especially interested in your Radial speaker impressions
Best,
Don

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
marcus
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 01/01/09 at 18:39:46

I realize I'm probably in the minority on this, but I used the Taboo with CSP with the radial RL-3's a few years back (so previous versions of all of these) and, while I felt it had a wonderful sound and went plenty loud enough, I DID feel it didn't really have enough steam to handle complex orchestral music at what was for me a normal listening level.  (Most other music was fine at normal listening levels, even at very loud levels.  This was more a matter of the complexity of the sound combined with volume.)  I could turn it down a bit to fix things, but be aware that, on some music, you may be running close to the limit on volume.  Of course, the next amp up in terms of power would be the Torii, which costs a whole lot more (though it is a great amp), so that would be a consideration.  However, if you listen to a lot of orchestral music, you might want to discuss this part with Steve a bit more.  I went for the Torii instead, but there was something really special about the sound of the Taboo with the radials.  (If you look through the Torii reviews, you can find a more detailed comparison I wrote when I got my Torii.)

IP Logged
Glass-n-vinyl
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 01/01/09 at 19:12:57

Steve and I did discuss using the Tori and the SE34i and came to the conclusion the Taboo would suit my tastes. My room is 15X18X8 and has quite a bit of acoustic treatment added.

I did without stereo for almost 2 years after Hurricane Rita made a direct hit on my casa. It was pretty horrible times but two good things came out of the repairs. I got a patio to die for complete with wet bar, TV and a margarita machine and I finally got my dedicated music room.

You don't find many basements in south Louisiana, dig down 6" and you either strike oil or water. My room isn't big but it's the best i have ever had and all I have to satisfy is myself. I listen to all kinds of music, even at 62 I know RAP stands for Rhythm And Poetry but I don't play Rap, cowboy tunes, yodeling or whistling songs   Grin Most of my music is Rock, Blues, Latin, Jazz and Soul. I have some classical and opera albums but I don't need to shake the walls to hear them. Perhaps with a better system I will hear things I have missed in the past which is almost like getting a new music collection.

Lon - I will be calling Mapleshade for more maple platforms soon are the 4" really that much better? Could I stack two of the 2"? I had never heard of cryo treating anything till last week, guess that comes from being out of the hobby for a while, that and where I live is quite a distance from any high end shops. My high end audio store would be Best Buy or Circuit City. It has to be pretty tough running a stereo shop now days. Have you tried the Silclear?

Another question to anyone - do you use footers under the radials and do any of you use tube dampers on your tubes?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 01/01/09 at 19:37:26

Hard to say what is "that much better."  I do feel that the 4" ARE better.  Are they twice the cost better?  Probably not, that's not how the sonic universe works is it? Wink  But I would order 4" now whenever I can.  I don't think stacking 2" would be recommended.  For one:  I have discovered they can be prone to warping and two won't forever fit perfectly together.  If you get on the phone with Eldon or Pierre ask them what they think. . . .

Haven't tried the Silckear.  Maybe someday!  I do have footers of a sort under the Radials. I'm on carpet and they just seem to wobble and my floors or carpet are uneven and they aren't completely straight and level without something.  I've used speaker cones, with adjustable points and dampening material, from Herbie's Audio Lab (www.herbiesaudiolab.com) and the small support discs he sells for the spikes.  I really think that they make a significant improvement, but then. . .I would.  And I do use Mapleshade Tube Anchors on . . .all tubes actually. Like what they do.

IP Logged
Glass-n-vinyl
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 01/01/09 at 20:39:43

Seems like we are both big fans of Mapleshade. I might try a 4" under my turntable since I was going to have to buy at least one more platform anyway and use the 2" ones under equipment. Since I will soon be cartridge shopping I am struggling with myself to order one of the Mapleshade Soundsmith SMMC2 moving coils.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 01/02/09 at 03:24:38

Yes, vinyl. . . it's an expensive way to go.  I've not really been into vinyl since the eighties, and have concentrated on digital and learned a lot (and collected a lot, for my world of jazz listening there's been more available on cd.

Mapleshade has some good ideas.  I used to use Triplepoints under all the equipment but have found I prefer the sound of Herbie Audio Lab "Isocups". . .but the Samson rack and the platforms and Isoblocks I really don't want to do without.

IP Logged
Glass-n-vinyl
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 01/02/09 at 16:13:17

I have looked at the Iso Cups they appear similar to the Ginko system using blue balls. I have seen one more using balls but can't recall what it was called or where I saw it. Which ball do you use in your Iso Cups? I saw on Herbie's web site he sells a plethora of balls made from different material I was surprised i didn't see diamond and chewing gum.

I did a very bad thing back in the late 80s I sold a record collection. Five years later I was buying records again trying to replace all the Mobile Fidelity, Sheffield Labs, JVC and Japanese pressings I had. My collection is smaller but I think it's still a nice collection. I am also a sucker for any album in color vinyl or has a picture on it.

What I may do is order a 4" Mapleshade platform for my turntable and use the 4X2" platforms for CD, amp, preamp and phono stage. I'm too poor to buy the Samson Rack.  :'(

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 01/02/09 at 18:20:46

I use jasper and brass and acrylic balls in the Isocups.  I've never used any other "cup" type of footers.

Definitely what I would do, put the 4" platform at the most often used source.

IP Logged
Stone Deaf
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 01/03/09 at 17:28:00

That sounds like sage advice Lon. I'll order a 4" to go under the TT.

I changed my name to Stone Deaf after last night's listening session. I always strive to become smarter the older I get. I guess I finally got to that age it's going in reverse. I am diagnosed with CRS - Can't Remember $hit.

You are being a big help. Now to figure out what to put the speakers on or what to put under them. I have hardwood floors over concrete. I guess I will wait till the speakers get here to make a decision. I have even considered sitting the speaker on a maple block using isoblocks beneath them.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13 - 01/03/09 at 18:05:33

I've thought about that too, the platforms for the speakers. . . I have carpet. so I would need to either just put the platform on the carpet or use spikes. . . . Ultimately I think that the speakers would end up "too high". . . .

I'm going to be ordering the retail version of the Radials this year, so I'll get to re-experience the whole experience of new Radials!

IP Logged
Stone Deaf
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 01/03/09 at 20:56:45

I was wondering about the height also but I have never owned radial speakers. I should get my radials around my birthday March 2 won't that be a nice present. Just looking at the pics the RSS don't show any footers so I'm playing the waiting game. I should have the new front end Decware in a couple of weeks to use with the JMR Twin II speakers till then.

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #15 - 01/04/09 at 04:33:42

Richard,

The new Radial EER's will be shipping with very short tip toe spikes to keep the height were it should be. You could use any 1/4"-20 threaded spike however, I bore the hole into the base as deep as I can, allowing  most of the threads to recess  into the base.

Lon,

This is much the same on the retail radials, as well as the MG944's...loading the passive against the plinth base  works very well!

BobZ

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16 - 01/04/09 at 13:06:05

Thanks Bob! Smiley

IP Logged
Stone Deaf
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 01/04/09 at 16:35:44

Thanks Bob. Having never owned radial speakers I don't have a clue how to set them up. It almost seemed to me there would be little issue with height. Will there be any issue of them sitting on hardwood over concrete floor? What about sitting the speaker on a small throw rug? I haven't begun to ask some real stupid questions yet and probably won't run out of them soon LOL. Hopefully there will be a few sheets of instructions included labeled Radials For Dummies.

On a good note last night my JMR Twins sounded very nice. Peter Gabriel sounded like he was singing in my room. With the new system I expect to be able to detect what brand of mouthwash he uses. My music room has new wall treatment installed on three walls and ceiling. I was shocked to notice how close to the Twins I was sitting when I found the sweet spot. With the twins approx 7-8 feet apart and slightly toed in I was about three feet away from them. The difference was major not slight. The next best spot was at around eight feet away but not with the same depth.

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #18 - 01/04/09 at 18:04:54

Richard,

Height was more of an issue with the older RL-1-2's, which had more to do with the bass response. But if the main driver is to high, the lower mids seem to suffer. The front driver on the RL-3's solved there height issue. The new plinth bases don't really care if they are on wood, concrete or carpet.  Set up with the EER's is for dummies, the round RL-1 - 2's it was hard to tell if the tow in was just right, the EER's being square make that a bit easier, and like most speakers, there position relative to room boundaries will change the bass response, other than that, almost anything else works. They can almost touch each other, 5 feet in front of you and the EER's will image just as well as the normal speaker set up.

I have, on more than one occasion, while the listener sat in the listening chair with eyes closed, set up two radials just in front of, and right beside the listening chair. Then turned on the music, had them open there eyes only to tell me the two speakers, in the normal speaker position was what he was listening to. Even after knowing which pair of speakers were playing, they still had the sound stage up in the front of the room.  

I don't think the EER's are going to let you know what kind of mouth wash Peter Gabriel used, I think the only way to tell that would be if the EER's produced sent, they're good, but not that good!!! Wink  

BobZ

IP Logged
Stone Deaf
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 01/09/09 at 16:11:29

Another question while i am pestering you guys. There are two sets of binding posts on the speaker should I bi-wire them, use jumpers or pick a pair?

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #20 - 01/09/09 at 23:56:38

Richard,

Actually, there are 3 sets of binding posts on the back, use the lower or bottom set,  the EER's are not able to be bi-amped or bi-wired.

Bob Z

IP Logged
Stone Deaf
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 01/18/09 at 02:38:56

I got to ask what are the other two sets for? Is there a warning tag *For authorized use only. Use by consumer voids warranty*?

Since my floor is live I have opted to put down two 2X3 wool Persian throw rugs and place the speakers on them.

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #22 - 01/21/09 at 04:50:15

Richard,

The other two sets are for the cap and the resistor....you can  cap roll if you like, or attenuate the tweeter to suit your taste.

BobZ

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23 - 01/21/09 at 16:06:07

Thanks Bob.  Will be interesting to see what rolling a capacitor does.  Same set up on the upcoming retail version, yes?

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #24 - 01/22/09 at 01:40:25

Lon,

That would be a no...

If you think about it, people that are part of this forum, like to tweak things and play around with  tubes, caps wiring and the like, but I'd be afraid someone looking at the retail side of things would just think it was to complicated, or "Whats this for"  and may be turned off by it. So the idea was to go for bi-wire or amped which a lot of people expect, I would think.

The RL-3's had the caps and the resistors exposed, where the RL-1 thru 2's did not, with the pyramid cabinets it again allowed us to do it so we did. Its just more fun that way!

BobZ  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #25 - 01/22/09 at 03:20:13

Thanks for the info.  Makes sense.

With my experience with the RL1s and RL2s, of paramount importance for me would be tweeter attenuation. . . I've always needed to tame the tweeters.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print