04/24/24 at 08:49:57 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
dead Decware Select (Read 11204 times)
jags76
Ex Member

dead Decware Select
12/25/08 at 04:25:31

When a Select doesn't turn on anymore what might likely be the cause?:  On/Off toggle swithch, Capacitor, etc..  Yes it is plugged in and no fuses are blown.  I have been using a sovtek 5y3 rectifier for several months now.  The amp is 3 years old.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: dead Decware Select
Reply #1 - 12/25/08 at 04:46:09

If none of the tubes light up after you turn it on, then the fuse is in fact blown, or you put a blown one back in, or you put the fuse in the wrong spot.  At least I'd be willing to bet my Christmas fruitcake on it  ;)

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
jags76
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 12/25/08 at 05:52:17

Thanks Steve for rapid reply and on Xmas eve of all times.  If you or anyone can tell me where the fuse is located inside a Select that would be helpful.  I looked inside with my Cree flashlight but can not see anything that looks like a fuse.  NOT AN EMERGENCY SO ENJOY YOUR XMAS EVE.   I popped in a T-amp in the meantime but as good as it is it doesn't compete with the select.  Just is not as magical (accurate?) as a Select.  Ritchie Blackmore's guitar sounds like Ritchie Blackmore's guitar on the Select.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 12/25/08 at 11:52:51

Try the power cord.  The fuse may be located in the housing of the IEC connector end. . . .

Merry Christmas!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Hotsauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 12/25/08 at 14:02:07

Its this type of IEC socket, the rectangular piece pulls out and holds a spare fuse.  

John C.

IP Logged
jags76
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 12/25/08 at 16:20:26

Thanks Lon and Hotsauce verrrrry much!  That's where it is and the fuse is definitely blown.  What a great support forum!.  Can't thank you guys enough.  And that's a nice photo Hotsauce.

Merry Christmas

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 12/25/08 at 16:59:47

Whew!  Hopefully holiday listening is resumed!

The Select is such a great amp.  I loved mine, I miss it sometimes; I replaced it with the Decware EL34 Monoblocks to have more headroom for my Radial based system.

I'd buy another if there was a model with a DAC incorporated to use with my iPod/Wadia iTransport based bedroom system! Smiley

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
jags76
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 12/25/08 at 19:43:35

Holiday listening has resumed.  Thanks to your help.  When it is Xmas day and practically everything is closed that spare fuse is a nice touch.  Steve initially replied to my first post so I imagine he might check out this thread again.  Maybe his wheels are already turning regarding a Select with an integrated DAC Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 12/25/08 at 20:27:22

Well, probably won't come out with one quickly enough to suit me. . . I'm in the market now. Smiley  Have the iTransport, an Xmas gift, and want the rest soon.  Thinking of a Peachtree Audio Decco system.

Glad you have the music flowing again.  Sure is nice that spare fuse is included.  Another customer service coup!

IP Logged
jags76
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 12/26/08 at 03:59:00

I read recently that Steve Jobs the guy who gave us the iPod owns a turntable and has a vinyl collection.  I play vinyl exclusively through my Select.  However the other week I connected a laptop to the Select and played some complete songs off of Pierre Sprey's Mapleshade site.  He has some song samples that are entire songs.  It was fun to do, sounded pretty damn good, and it got me thinking as I'm sure it has him thinking too.  He already has vibration control supports for laptops and such.  I googled Wadia iTransport and wow what an interesting product.  Apparently Steve Jobs considers his iPod a high-end source so he gave Wadia permission to bypass the DAC or D/A or whatever inside of the iPod.  Anyway I find it encouraging because I would get an iPod if the sound quality started to improve which I think it will.

IP Logged
Hotsauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 12/26/08 at 11:59:49

**I'd buy another if there was a model with a DAC incorporated to use with my iPod/Wadia iTransport based bedroom system!**

But isn't the point of the Wadia dock that it is its own DAC?

Why would you need an amp with built in DAC if you had that?

John C.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 12/26/08 at 13:47:51

No, that's not the point. The Wadia is the only machine that is offered that takes a digital signal from an iPod and is designed to be a transport for that signal. There IS NO DAC within. You can feed the analog signal out from the iTransport, but that's what you get, a nice sounding analog out through quality components, but it does not decode the digital signal.  Has a coaxial out.

Here's some info on the Decco. Has three digital inputs.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/peachtree/decco.html

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print