Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 19:14:45 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The NEW Radials are HERE! (Read 7143 times)
Stone Deaf
Ex Member

Re: The NEW Radials are HERE!
Reply #50 - 03/31/09 at 02:17:58

Bob I think I can live with that finish.  ;)
Tomorrow I will be giving my JMRs a final listening then make room for the new boys. I'm unplugging the subwoofer too. I have music picked out to run them through their paces, should be a good night of listening.  :) I anticipate them getting here Wednesday or Thursday at the latest. I'm having a little party this weekend so the new gear will be getting a lot of attention. I love it when friends say what the heck is that and where did you get it?  :)
Hope your trip turned out well.

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #51 - 03/31/09 at 03:00:59

Richard,

You better get a move on, the speakers will be there tomorrow!!!

Enjoy,
BobZ

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #52 - 03/31/09 at 03:31:05

Oh boy Richard, oh boy!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Stone Deaf
Ex Member

Reply #53 - 03/31/09 at 06:09:00

Now you done it Bob I won't be able to sleep tonight.

IP Logged
Stone Deaf
Ex Member

Reply #54 - 04/01/09 at 03:43:49

Bob the speakers are beautiful and arrived safe and sound. I have questions and need to talk to you on the phone again. The speakers are beautiful, we are trying to get acquainted with each other. I found that spot where the speakers disappear and it sounds like I am listening to the wall, quite impressive but my Taboo will not push them past 90-91 db using a cen-tec hand held meter. I have questions about this bag of stuff, I have the feet figured out but after that I am lost.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #55 - 04/01/09 at 10:57:09

Bob, Richard, glad they made it safe and sound!  You're in for a lot of great listening. . . I honestly believe that.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #56 - 04/01/09 at 11:38:17

Lon,

Thanks, I'm glad they made it there as well, it always worries me when custom speakers go out, you hate to have to redo them, if they get ruined in shipping. I think its been two years now, with no damage. I guess UPS has gotten gentler and Bob has gotten better at packaging.

Richard, I'm here all day, so give me a call, if I don't hear from you buy mid day, I'll try calling you.  Glad you liked them!!! Cool

BobZ

IP Logged
Stone Deaf
Ex Member

Reply #57 - 04/01/09 at 14:53:38

I have a claim against UPS right now for destroying an expensive turntable during shipment. The speaker boxes had the trademark UPS dings and gouges but kudos to your packing, awesome job Bob I don't think my first pair of speakers cost as much as your packing material.

Bob I forgot to ask on the phone but I assume the top grills will be coming soon in a separate box?

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #58 - 04/01/09 at 18:07:49

Yes Richard,

I have to go pick one up, I tore a hole in one just before I was to put them in the box, it was tiny but a hole just the same.

Bob

IP Logged
Stone Deaf
Ex Member

Reply #59 - 04/01/09 at 23:09:56

Thanks to Bob and Steve all my little problems are solved sometimes I can't see the forest for the trees. I think these are keepers.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #60 - 04/02/09 at 01:10:27

Congratulations!  The first to report on the new Radials besides Bob and Paul!

IP Logged
Stone Deaf
Ex Member

Reply #61 - 04/02/09 at 01:58:03

After Steve told me what to tweak things fell into place. Let me tell more about the speakers.

First of all Bob is such a grand fellow keeping me updated with the progress and the speakers were packed in such a way they could have been thrown from the truck and kicked up to my doorstep without damage.

The custom black paint turned out fantastic. They are so shiny and seamless they look cast from plastic. The few that have seen them so far have commented on their good looks.

As I said earlier I had some questions and issues after the first listening session but a phone call to Bob and Steve solved everything. The Taboo's 6 watts is plenty of power and the new ERR doesn't really need a subwoofer.

Listening to the speakers is a real experience if you have never heard this type of speaker. This was new ground for me and thank goodness I am patient. I was amazed at how much I could move around the room and still not lose the stereo image but there is this spot and when you find it the speakers leave the room and you are left listening to players on a stage.

I don't know how long it will take them to break in or how much better they will sound but straight out of the box they sound pretty darned good. No harshness, good presence and a large sound stage. I have listened to rock, jazz, classical and even bluegrass on them today, no telling what I will dig out tomorrow but I will say I keep hearing things I missed on some recordings, the system is that good.

I offer a big thanks to the whole Decware team for a wonderful experience. This is my last stereo (age and illness) and I plan to enjoy it. Thank you Steve for helping me make my decision, you just don't get this kind of service from other sources.

IP Logged
Stone Deaf
Ex Member

Reply #62 - 04/08/09 at 05:42:05

After living with the ERR Radials for a week here is a little update. I'm not completely used to them yet but we are getting there. What I have found is they aren't a very forgiving speaker, what goes in comes out and I found I have a few really crappy recordings. The good stuff sounds great and the not so great is pretty terrible by comparison.
I do have plenty of power using the Taboo amp and admit to sometimes turning on a subwoofer with the ERRs. I'm sure the subwoofer fetish comes from the type of music I listen to most of the time and from years playing in bands standing in front of a 8X10 + 1X18 bass cabinet it's a miracle I'm not really deaf or shell shocked as a WW II war vet. Music seems to just appear in the room. There are times when I can pinpoint the speakers but most of the time they don't hog my attention.
Actually my neighbors have been asking if I have been feeling well since they haven't seen me outside much last week. It is entertaining to watch the faces of those who come to listen. They can't quite figure out where the speaker is in the cabinet, the radial speaker in the top is just too bizarre. I still haven't seen much cone movement coming from the radial even at fairly high volume. Overall I am still happy and still waiting for the top covers.
Lon you are going to like these radials. My poor meager jazz collection does sound very intimate with this system. Bill Evens, Rikki Lee Jones et al have been very entertaining especially female voice, acoustic guitar and piano. Be sure to let me know when you get yours so we can compare notes.  :)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #63 - 04/08/09 at 10:09:02

Glad you're really liking them Richard.  I think you'll be a Radial user forever now.  I won't have mine for two to three weeks yet, I'm in Ohio the next ten days and maybe I'll have Bobs Torii Mark II and one pair of the new Radials (not sure which is coming first) about the same time.

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #64 - 04/09/09 at 15:15:57

Richard,

Thanks for taking the time to write a great review, your words are to kind.
   Your grills shipped yesterday, you should have them by weeks end.

Lon,
  You will get the ERR's first!!  I haven't shipped the Torii-II to Steve yet, seeing as how I carried the amp from Steve's, I had no shipping box....I've gotten real good at shipping speakers, but after talking to Steve and how to package it properly, I got worried what I had done wasn't going to be good enough, so I've ordered some stuff to ship it properly.

I hope your  trip is going well.....

IP Logged
Stone Deaf
Ex Member

Reply #65 - 04/09/09 at 16:07:07

That's good news Bob. If the yard ever dries out I may try to take a picture of one of the speakers in natural light, they really are beautiful.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #66 - 04/09/09 at 17:34:44

Thanks for letting me know Bob.  Trip is going well, Mom's surgery went well, she only stayed there at the Cleveland Clinic overnight, we just got home with an hour ago.  She's in good spirits, she wanted to be home a minute after surgery.

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #67 - 04/09/09 at 21:14:30

Lon,

That's great news, take good care of her.....

Richard,

I think natural daylight is the only way to get a picture of the black, I tried several different shots in my room before they left, they were all terrible.  it was raining here the whole time, from the day they were shot black, until the time I shipped them, I just gave up.

Bob

IP Logged
Stone Deaf
Ex Member

Reply #68 - 04/10/09 at 18:56:52

Bob,

I'll be needing another pair of tops for my ERRs. As well as the speakers were packed the grills didn't make it through the UPS grinder and both are broken.

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #69 - 04/11/09 at 23:47:09

Richard,

Sorry to hear that, we need to make a claim with UPS I guess, Devon used to do that, I never have, I'll see what I have to do....

I'll start a new set this week, Not sure if I can get them to the girl that sews and  back before I leave to get the granddaughter, but I'll try.

Bob

IP Logged
Stone Deaf
Ex Member

Reply #70 - 04/12/09 at 05:08:42

No big hurry Bob. I still have the box and packing, have DeVon call me.

I have all but stopped using UPS. They don't seem to care about how rough they handle the packages. I have in the last year lost a Neon Bar sign crushed, $1200 turntable totaled, 4 collectible Tiki bar glasses broken and half a box of Martini glasses were broken. I have two claims against UPS now for over $700.

IP Logged
richard
Ex Member

Reply #71 - 04/17/09 at 19:02:40

Bob, thanks for the reply.  now you really got me going though.  Would love to talk with you.  tried a cell phone number you gave me when you first moved but it rings busy.  Would also love to visit with Paul "rfz quest" who lives in Tucson.  Think I once visited with him at his house when he had some 1.5's for sale which eventually led me to purchase the 3.0's from you.  Paul come visit me at the Mark & Daniel  stereo store at tanque Verde and Sabino canyon.  Our number is 721-9324.  My cell is 520-360-8559.
thanks. Smiley

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #72 - 04/18/09 at 01:10:46

Richard,

The number has been changed 828-729-7336 is my cell number, I'm off next week, any time after that,  give me a call.

Paul is now in Gold Canyon AZ helping to take care of his mom, not sure why he isn't posting as much as he was when he first got back.  

Bob

IP Logged
Stone Deaf
Ex Member

Reply #73 - 04/20/09 at 21:34:49

Bob give me a call when you get a chance 337-515-7285 it's no emergency. Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #74 - 04/29/09 at 11:52:48

Richard, have you noticed the speakers changing/breaking in?  :)  I'm eager for mine so eager to hear you talking about yours.  :)

IP Logged
Stone Deaf
Ex Member

Reply #75 - 04/29/09 at 17:05:57

Lon I don't think they have broken in yet. The biggest change so far I have noticed is putting the footers under them. That seemed to really open them up, the detail was so much better. They work well in my size listening room and I don't feel I have to sit glued in one spot to enjoy the music. I can listen, thumb through albums or CDs and I like that. Any word on when yours will be ready? I should be getting my replacement tops soon. Will you be trying any other capacitors? If you do be sure to tell me which ones and how they changed the sound. I tried all the resistors and went back to the ones Bob put in.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #76 - 04/29/09 at 18:52:33

I haven't asked or heard anything yet.  It's okay, I'm waiting patiently.  I'll have the Torii II before then and that way I can get a handle on how that sounds with my current Radials.

I don't know if I'll change capacitors or not. . . .I really drove myself nuts tube-rolling etc. for a long time and I am enjoying NOT doing stuff like that with the new Integrated I have and my "solid state" source.  It can be pretty disconcerting.  I have so many recordings and one sounds great with about every tube combination. . . I've just tried to find a happy medium for all of them (and in the amps I found these with 6N2Ps and NEW "Mullard" EL34s.

So right now. . . I'm waiting and enjoying the sound of cds and Blu-Rays and dvds!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #77 - 04/29/09 at 18:53:32

You're right, yours are likely still breaking in.  It took quite a while before mine stopped "changing" on me.  It's been rock steady for a long while though. . . .I've grown very very comfortable with my speakers.

IP Logged
Stone Deaf
Ex Member

Reply #78 - 04/29/09 at 23:34:33

I'm still in the Forrest Gump situation where "Life is like a box of chocolates, you don't know what you will get". I actually smile when I hear something different from my system. I'm not so sterile or analytical that I demand things to be the same always. Live music is never the same though a recording should be but a little change doesn't bother me as long as it's not harsh. I guess that is what I have got from tube rolling, all the different ways a recording can sound.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print